Search Unity

unity blend shapes can manage blender shape keys?

Discussion in 'Asset Importing & Exporting' started by wicked208, Nov 14, 2013.

1. wicked208

wicked208

hi there, if i understand well unity 4.3 can now manage vertex animation without bones, i try to import a blender animated model with shape keys but cant make to work in unity, any help please?

2. cerebrate

cerebrate

shape keys will export, but the animations that you make for them do not. Blender does not support exporting shape key animations.

There are two workarounds. The first is to duplicate the animation from the file, then use unity's animation editor to add animations for the blendshapes. The second is to use driver bones, which have their own benefits over just animating shapekeys. I describe use here: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/210412-Using-Blend-Shapes-in-4-3?p=1417867&viewfull=1#post1417867

3. wicked208

wicked208

AndyNeoman likes this.
  4. cerebrate

cerebrate

Yes, exactly as I said. Shape keys export, but the animations do not. You can even go look at the fbx export script on the blender wiki - it states that shapekey animation does not work.

5. wicked208

wicked208

ok, i understand now...thanks

6. AndyNeoman

AndyNeoman

Great help this works.

7. 00christian00

00christian00

Maybe it's a blender issues. Because I tried animating blendshapes and works fine within Unity.
    I couldn't get additive blending to work with blendshapes, so if you animate a face with blendshapes you need to have a layer with a mask for the head, and the base layer with the normal skinned animations, otherwise the blendshape animation will override the base animation.

Ignacii likes this.