Search Unity

Unity as a career..supply vs. demand..scales are tipping, in our favor!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Deleted User, Sep 19, 2014.

1. Deleted User

Deleted User

I have not updated my resume, linked in..website,..nothing..in over 1.5 years, I gave up!
    but something has changed..
    I am getting more unity development requests, then web development positions...this is new, and exciting!! (I mentioned unity in a resume update, almost 2 years ago, meaning.."shallow available talent pool?")

Reminding me of the.com era and my time with Cisco systems..heavily recruited..perks up the wazoo..

2 Questions...

1). When do you decide that FTE, just looks better?? (I like these kind of offers, of course I am not qualified) Received 3 days ago..I know the recruiter..this is real!

ie,-----------------------------
    Game Developer - RELOCATION ASSISTANCE OFFERED

Boulder, CO
    Full-time $60k - $110k

What's In It for You
    - Competitive salary
    - Relocation assistance offered!!!!
    - No healthcare cost for employee and family
    - Company paid phone
    - New computer and iPad given too all employees
    - Gym membership
    - Dynamic work environment with a start up feel
    - Unlimited snacks/beverages
    ----------------------------------
    Does working for unity..involve these kind of perks? ;-)

2). Do a lot of unity developer's get these?? recruitment offers from Cyber coders, etc...
    what is Your Magic number..to..lose your independence? Optimism vs. reality..

Just something I have been thinking hard about lately..I am 40+ , my second career, using unity to get back, to where I was, 15 years ago...

I always thought, Unity is a 100K+ a year, career opportunity...this just confirms it..

wondering..

patrick

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2014
    Meltdown likes this.
  2. RockoDyne

RockoDyne

I've seen a lot that's similar. I've had a few job alerts just for unity for a year or two and they have been pretty frequent these days.

3. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

That's pretty cool. Sounds like it could be a good opportunity!
    I was an independent developer doing my own thing for several years. Then took a position as an IT Consultant (nothing to do with games). You know where they throw you into different companies to solve their problems. That was enjoyable. Always some little challenge to work on. The downside was having a 3 hour round-trip commute each day. That sucked.

But I finally got my dream job just 3 years ago which has me working from home 99% of the time. For me, my magic number was a decent wage for my level of experience combined with working from home. If I was expected to work onsite I would have moved on to something else by now. It all depends on what is important to you. For me, working remotely from home as a Senior Software Engineer was just what I was looking for.

4. Deleted User

Deleted User

I am at least a year from being 'proficient' in C++, and pushing my mobile content to IOS (I just have not done it), amazon, windows phone. A solid portfolio of diverse games/projects showcasing, my art, animation, modeling, scripting, level design, lighting, shader manipulation, cut scenes, User Interface, connections to Facebook, game center, Google play, amazon marketplace..and 100-200 CCU networking w/ Bolt..

I have had this dream for...25 years..(myst.: DOS adventure game in Basic. IBM PC jr...before windows!!). my imagination, was the first high end graphics card..

I am glad I chose Unity Pro..I mean.. Actually, for once in my life.l have made a solid, good choice...it is not a fad!!

"What are you willing to sacrifice..to secure your future?" I ask myself this question..a lot.

my parents: "You will Never make a living 'Playing Games!!"
    my Brother: " Everything you do on your computer, is a waste of time"...

I hope to prove them All wrong....

A viable life long career, business presentations. art installations, real estate/architectural, military training /factory prototypes, medical imaging..it is quickly becoming much, much more than entertainment..unity in 5 years...10....15???

imagine..

p-

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2014