Search Unity

Unity and Hardsurface - Glassy Material

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by SilverAura, Mar 4, 2015.

1. SilverAura

SilverAura

So I'm beginning to feel like I completely wasted my money on the $50 Hardsurface Pro shader pack because having installed Unity 5, I'm discovering that absolutely none of the transparency is working. Just flat out nothing. What's worse is I've been looking for the past 4-5 hours now for a method of creating a similar glassy transparency effect - a diamond refraction effect, and I've come up completely short.

I've no experience with creating shaders and at this point, no extra funds. So I'm hoping that someone here can at least provide me with a little sense of hope that this is a temporary issue or an alternative that I can explore.

2. fffMalzbier

fffMalzbier

Im sorry to say but its kind of your own fault.
    The asset-store states that you need Unity 3.3+ pro for that asset and that a very nice way to tell you for what version this asset is probably optimized and tested for.
    And the version and the last time the asset was updated can help too to see if the asset has been updated lately
    And by the way, why would you buy a asset where the reviews state that its broken?

Sorry for not been able to give you much hope.

3. SilverAura

SilverAura

I bought it a while back when it wasn't broken - I was just hoping it wouldn't become broken by an update like this. I wasn't sure if maybe there was something I was doing wrong or something that could be changed or adjusted to make it work properly in Unity 5.

I can still get use out of it through Unity 4.6 and I did keep a backup of my project on the off chance that something like this would happen. So it's not a complete loss. I was just really hoping to utilize some of the features and functionality of Unity 5 before I got much deeper into the development of my game.

I guess the next obvious question though would be asking if there are actually any alternatives to it that WILL work on Unity 5. Because not only is Hardsurface broken but the gem shader is also broken. Considering the primary object in my game is diamonds, it's not really an option to use Unity 5, despite all it's great added features, if I can't make a simple glass object with the level of refraction necessary to make it look like a colored diamond.

Unless I'm really missing something - and I hope I am, it seems like there's no way to do this with the new standard shader either. Transparency is an option, sure, but there's no refraction options. It's just simply transparent. I understand that this can be controlled via an alpha channel to create objects with 'cutouts' but it seems like a major oversight to create this wonderful new standard shader with reflections, global illumination, etc, and have no thick glass refraction of any kind.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015