Search Unity

UNITY ADS 1.X AND 2.X NOT WORKING FOR IOS 10

Discussion in 'Unity Ads & User Acquisition' started by Ohyouknow, Sep 9, 2016.

1. Ohyouknow

Ohyouknow

Hi,

Does anyone know whats going on with Unity Ad's and iOS 10? Is there some sort of patch we can expect anytime between now and before the release of iOS 10?

I've tried running Ads on the most recent iOS 10 beta, and it doesn't work. All the coding is correct. When I run it on iOS 9.X, it works without any problems.

Could someone please clarify when we can expect Unity Ads to work for iOS 10?

2. Ohyouknow

Ohyouknow

So I also just stubbled across something random. In IOS 10, if you turn off "limit ad tracking", Unity Ads start working. However, this isn't really a solution because that would mean anyone who has that feature on, wouldn't allow UnityAds to work properly. I've had ad tracking on, on all my devices prior to iOS 10, and UnityAds has never had problem before.

3. Ohyouknow

Ohyouknow

4. drolak

drolak

Same here :/

5. Ohyouknow

Ohyouknow

6. Russel

Russel

7. rasmus-unity

rasmus-unity

Hi all,

We're ofc working on official iOS 10 support including limited ad tracking. Will get back when we have more information.

/Rasmus

8. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

Same here.

I'm using Unity 4.7.2 with Xcode 8 and my Unity ads aren't showing up. Looks like we need a patch. Any ETA on this?

9. rasmus-unity

rasmus-unity

10. JustDave1961

JustDave1961

We have a game that was made with Unity 5.3 and XCode 7.3 and as soon as I installed iOS 10, the ads stopped working.
    So, your statement about using XCode 7.3 is false. This needs to be fixed now!

11. screenname_taken

screenname_taken

I'm a bit crossed now cause i'm about to release a game and i have the same issue.
    I'm downloading xcode 7.3.1 now to see if the ads will work again.
    But i think the SDK should have been fixed. I'm guessing you had access to the beta versions from a while ago.
    Saw no warning about this before.

12. screenname_taken

screenname_taken

@rasmus-unity I can tell you now, that Xcode 7.3.1 DOES NOT make the ads work.
    Just compiled my game that was working as it should before iOS 10.
    And i'm days before releasing something that took close to two years to complete...
    Yeah i'm salty right now.

13. Ohyouknow

Ohyouknow

@screenname_taken and @JustDave1961 .... so I originally started this thread and I wanted to share a few things, maybe it will kind of put you at ease until they patch it up lol....so after doing a lot of research, apparently only about 7% of iOS devices have the "limit ad tracking" turned on, in general. It's mostly developers or people in the know. The general public actually has no idea about ad tracking, therefore it's off by default.

Obviously, for anything under iOS 10, unityads won't be an issue, its IOS 10 thats being affected. If that percentage is accurate (which a few sites confirmed), then it shouldn't affect our revenue too much or at all. I'm hoping that the devs at unity will patch this up ASAP though, because I was heavily considering dropping them and adding adcolony instead since it works with iOS 10, but I will give Unity another week.

14. screenname_taken

screenname_taken

That's not really reassuring, because the same article that said people don't turn on the ad limit, are also those that might don't do such because they have an adblocker.

How easy is the transition to AdColony?

Last edited: Sep 17, 2016
  15. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

One of the main reasons I chose Unity Ads specifically is because I thought they'd be on top of issues like this. I hope the patch will be released soon (and compatible with Unity 4.7.x) - luckily I'm about a month or so out from release so I can afford to give Unity a little more time.

16. rasmus-unity

rasmus-unity

Hi,

Thanks for your input, and you are welcome to keep the discussion going. We'll share any news with you as soon as we have it.

/Rasmus

17. onHead

onHead

I am using Unity ADs version 2.0.4 , Xcode 8.0

UNITY ADS is not working in my iPad(iOS 10.0.1)
    but is working in my iPhone(iOS 8.4)

18. rasmus-unity

rasmus-unity

@onHead: Do you have "limit ad tracking" enabled on your iOS 10 device?

19. kenlem

kenlem

My apps with Unity Ads in the store have stopped generating revenue on iOS10. What's going on?

Opps... Appfigures wasn't updating my sales numbers. I did a refresh and all is well. Sorry...

Last edited: Sep 19, 2016
  20. sidartha138

sidartha138

I can confirm the following:

iOS 10
    iPad Air 2 (iOS 10) - Unity Ads work when "limit ad tracking" is Off, Unity Ads do not work when "limit ad tracking" is on
    iPad Air (iOS 10) - Unity Ads work when "limit ad tracking" is Off, Unity Ads do not work when "limit ad tracking" is on
    iPhone 6 (iOS 10) - Unity Ads work when "limit ad tracking" is Off, Unity Ads do not work when "limit ad tracking" is on

iOS 9.5.3
    iPhone 6 (iOS 9.5.3) - Unity Ads work regardless of "limit ad tracking" being on or off
    iPad 2 (iOS 9.5.3) - Unity Ads work regardless of "limit ad tracking" being on or off

21. screenname_taken

screenname_taken

Yes they are working on it. Though i still think that this should not have been the case.

22. onHead

onHead

Where is 'limit ad tracking' ??? I didn't find this.

23. Ohyouknow

Ohyouknow

@onHead settings>privacy>advertising (on the device itself)

24. Ohyouknow

Ohyouknow

@rasmus-unity any progress made? My app's ad revenue has plummeted drastically since releasing my iOS 10 update. I don't know how much longer I can wait, before switching to another advertiser. Hopefully you guys are close. Please update us when you can. Thank you!

25. screenname_taken

screenname_taken

I think i saw in someplace that they are a couple of days away. I really hope that's true.

26. HeikkiTunkelo

HeikkiTunkelo

Unity Technologies

There are couple of issues we are seeing with iOS10 currently:

1. The limit ad tracking setting with iOS10
    We are working on supporting ads for users who have selected to limit ad tracking. Currently we can only show a small number (if any) ad campaigns to them.
    Apple changed the IDFA (=Identifier for advertising) in iOS10 to be all zeroed out when users opt for limited ad-tracking. Before iOS10 they trusted advertisers to behave (which we were doing, but not everyone).

So if you are testing ads with "limit ad tracking" setting turned on, you will most likely get no ads.

We have an serverside update for that, but we will not push that to production today (friday and weekend coming up). Early next week we should have that.

2. Certain iPhone models cause the ads to freeze on connectivity check with iOS10 when SIM card is inserted. (SDK2.0)
    This happens (at least) on iPhone 6+.
    We should be able to fix this with server side changes. Our devs are working this right now. (As in: I'm chatting with them at the same time I'm writing this message)

We do have a quite a few test devices, but we did not run the iOS10 tests with SIM card inserted, but only on Wifi... I know, sounds embarrassing. And this we should have caught, we are sorry.

3. Others changes affecting the revenues you might be seeing
    * If part of your revenue comes from China: the "great firewall of China" has been last week turned back on after G20 summit early september. This has caused problems with network connectivity.
    * Some large advertisers changed their campaigns last week and this has affected the revenues you guys are seeing. We are working with them.

So there were quite a few things happening in parallel, which has not made the debugging any easier.

Cheers,
    Heikki

27. Bravo_cr

Bravo_cr

28. screenname_taken

screenname_taken

been wondering the same thing myself yesterday.

29. HitEmUp

HitEmUp

"limit ad tracking is on" bug -> Is it fixed in Release 2.0.4? Someone here who tested it?

30. screenname_taken

screenname_taken

No, supposedly is not working in 2.0.4. However today one of the affected games started showing ads on my phone that has limit ad tracking on. (The game is Leap day)

31. screenname_taken

screenname_taken

@rasmus-unity I saw some unity ads on my iphone today that has limit ad tracking on. does that mean that a fix is floating around?

32. HitEmUp

HitEmUp

Oh yes, i see! Maybe they change something serverside? I updated nothing.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
  33. screenname_taken

screenname_taken

Same here. I just tested my project that is using the older unity ads and it shows the test ad as well. It wasn't before.

HitEmUp likes this.
  34. rsodre

rsodre

Has the server update been pushed?
    Did it fix the problem?

I need to publish this week, can I safely use XCode 8?

35. Ohyouknow

Ohyouknow

Hey all,

So I tried watching an ad today with "limit ad-tracking" on (with iOS 10) and it worked! My game (Get 'Em) is in the APP store, so it's nice to know that its finally working. I was literally 1 day away from removing unityads. I don't know if this is just a temp fix or permanent, and I really don't know how its fixed because I haven't updated or made a new build.

@rasmus-unity and @HeikkiTunkelo is this a permanent fix? Do we need to wait for a patch, or has this been somehow fixed through a server??

36. Ohyouknow

Ohyouknow

Never mind guys,@rasmus-unity @HeikkiTunkelo ... I spoke too soon. Tried the ads again today and it's back to not working which is really weird. I know for a fact that it worked yesterday, but now it stopped.

37. rsodre

rsodre

What's happening, @HeikkiTunkelo ?
    Server not updated?
    Update not working?
    Probably Unity 5.4.1p3 will not help either, since there's nothing about ads on the release notes.

38. Ohyouknow

Ohyouknow

Ok guys, I'm switching over to adcolony. Now, unityads doesn't work at all. Was testing my game on android and the ads don't show up anymore. Then I tested on iOS with ad tracking off, and they don't show up. I was averaging around $5 a day which isn't much, but since this whole fiasco, I've made $2 in the last 2 weeks. This utter BS. I pay $125-$150 a month for pro and have been doing so for over 2 years, and for this to happen is just amateur. My game has been released months ago and never had a single problem with ads until this iOS 10 stuff and now it isn't working on android?! Smh

39. screenname_taken

screenname_taken

@bdzmoney dunno why it doesn't work on android for you, i just did a build, and it showed an ad.

40. Ohyouknow

Ohyouknow

@screenname_taken I honestly have no idea either. I tried iOS again, and now it works without ad tracking, but just hours ago it didn't. Android build is still not working as far as ads. It makes no sense since nothing was changed on my end, and its the same build. I hope someone from Unity informs us as to what is going on and when a patch is expected. This is not ok.

41. screenname_taken

screenname_taken

I'll be trying a new build for iOS now, i'll report back with what it does. (I have an iPhone SE with iOS10, ad tracking limit enabled.)

*EDIT* They worked on iOS 10 as well. (Limit Ad Tracking enabled.)

Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
  42. Ohyouknow

Ohyouknow

@screenname_taken it still doesn't work for me with tracking enabled. Which version ads are you using? I'm using 2.0.2

43. screenname_taken

screenname_taken

44. Ohyouknow

Ohyouknow

@honjiepin you are incorrect. This is 100% a unity problem, not iTunes or apple.

Do you currently play or try any games from iTunes? You would see that all other ad networks work without any problems on iOS 10. Even with ad-limiting on, it makes no difference. The issue has nothing to do with a new agreement or the zeroing apple is doing of their advertiser id. If adcolony, chartboost, admob, and the rest of the advertisers weren't working, then it would be something with apple, but it's just unityads.

45. Deleted User

Deleted User

Okay, forget it what i said, Im just telling you guys just like they told me not from my personal opinion. See my source? I call them "inside". No offense. Hope theres a solution too from unityads.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2016
  46. marc_bearman

marc_bearman

Unity Technologies

Hi @bdzmoney Sorry to hear that you are still not seeing ads. The server side fix is rolled out and there are no delivery issues for users with limit ad tracking enabled. We turned off ad delivery for the users previously as we couldn't accurately separate one user from another, so our ability to serve ads to these users was always available we just disabled until the fix which allows us to accurately apportion earnings to you. All of the major networks had to build similar solutions, some quicker than us presumably and some slower, whether or not they serve ads is not the byproduct of the IDFA zeroing but a commercial decision each network made.

Assuming that you have a separate issue that is still present please let me know the URL of your game and I will test in the live environment. As a tip, because of the level of testing you have been doing it could be a case that you have hit a frequency cap or met some other threshold, try resetting your IDFA in these instances and re-test. For anyone on this chain that still has an issue please email to unityads-support@unity3d.com and feel free to copy me in marc@unity3d.com The team and I will make sure all issues are addressed.

Thanks,
    Marc

47. Lostlogic

Lostlogic

I am about to roll-out using XCode8 and iOS10, do I need to set something special to enable the limited tracking you guys are talking about or should it work "out of the box"?

48. marc_bearman

marc_bearman

Unity Technologies

Hi @Lostlogic You should be fine straight "out of the box". Let us know if there are any issues :)

thedarcsage likes this.
  49. screenname_taken

screenname_taken

I have a different issue with ads. It seems the editor is changing the "use built in ads" tick box to on by itself everytime i press play and it messes up with the 2.0.5 It keeps saying that it's defined more than once and won't let me compile till i turn it on and back off again from the services.

50. marc_bearman

marc_bearman

Unity Technologies

Hi @screenname_taken That is definitely not the expected flow. Can you confirm which version of the editor you are using? I will see if the team can repro and see what is happening.

[UPDATE] A colleague of mine has mentioned that you should try re-building after turning ads off via the services window and it should stay turned off.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2016