Search Unity

Unity 5 vs Unreal engine for mobile 2d games - Is unreal too powerful?

Discussion in '2D' started by HowWeLife, Jul 4, 2015.

1. HowWeLife

HowWeLife

I am a beginner at programming and especially game development. I finished courses for android and iOS with teamtreehouse online in order to learn how to make mobile apps. However I am wanting to make mobile games, and that means I have to pic up a game engine.

I am planning on starting with simple 2d games (like you tap and something happens) and after going trough many pages of Unity vs Unreal it seems that Unity is better for mobile 2d game development.

According to some of the pages I read- Unreal is more for 3d gaming and can be too powerful (take up memory) for simple games.

However I do feel that I would like to make 3d games at one point (possibly for pc )and unreal sounds more appealing because of that.

What do you all think?

Is unreal just to powerful to make simple 2d mobile games and I should learn to use Unity? Or is Unreal capable of being lightweight enough to be used for simple mobile 2d game development?

ps games i would consider simple (relative to other games) and that are similar to the games i would like to start making include: flappy bird, bird climb, Guess the Brand, possibly panda pop, ect. You know games where you tap and something happens.

2. PGJ

PGJ

Both are excellent engines. I think the workflow in Unity is better and faster. At least for the stuff I'm doing and C# is a really nice language to work with. However, if you are really comfortable in C++, then Unreal is probably a better choice.

3. HowWeLife

HowWeLife

I actually don't know either language, but I started looking at some Unity tutorials and C# doesn't seem to difficult. I am not sure if I should dedicate time to learn nothing but C# or if I should learn C# while learning Unity. Also I do know some Java Script. What about UnityScript? Why is it normally not used?

Also Unity supports more mobile devices (old samsung, older iPhones , phones with lower specs i guess) than Unreal correct?

4. Aldo

Aldo

I do believe you ask in the wrong place, most people here (like me) will tell you that Unity works better for mobiles.

I haven't made a mobile build on Unreal but I do know that on UDK 3 it was a pain to port from IOS to Android + not knowing if it will run in any android device.

From my perspective Unreal is more a console and PC engine than a "deploy anywhere you want".

5. HowWeLife

HowWeLife

I was expecting some bias so I asked in the unreal forum and unity haha I ended up choosing unity for mobile since thats what was recommended in the unreal forums as well.

Aldo likes this.