Search Unity

[Unity 5 version available] Runtime Mesh Batcher - Simple and affordable batching system

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by georgesdimitrov, Dec 16, 2014.

1. georgesdimitrov

georgesdimitrov

Hello there!

My name is Georges Dimitrov, I'm a music composer, professor, and indie video-game developer from Montreal, Canada. While working on my current game (an old-school dungeon crawler), I ran into the problem of draw calls related performance issues, because my levels are all constructed at runtime from Lua scripts. I found many great assets on the store, such as Mesh Baker, but all of them focused on tools to prepare your scene while in the Editor, including things like Lightmapping support, which I obviously didn't need.

So I developed a simple system for combining meshes, system which is designed and optimized for runtime usage, and put it on the Asset Store, as I think others might benefit from the performance improvements, which were fantastic in my game, bringing some scenes from over 30K draw calls down to an acceptable range of a thousand or two, while more than doubling frame rate.

I plan to actively continue development on this project; I have already updated the script to v1.1, adding for example the option of uncombining meshes (see changelog below). If you have any questions or comments, don't hesitate to post!

Asset store link: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/26200

Asset Description

Runtime Mesh Batcher is a script extension for Unity which provides an affordable, easy and fast way to combine multiple individual meshes at runtime, reducing draw calls and improving performance.

While other solutions available on the Asset Store offer greater in-editor capabilities and much more options, this script is specifically designed to provide a plug-and-play solution for games which create their environments procedurally at runtime.

• Clean and professional code.
    • Works with Unity or Unity Pro.
    • Custom inspector.
    • Automatic Batching mode through custom Tag or Layer.
    • Manual Batching mode for advanced scenarios (by providing a GameObject array).
    • Can be used with a controller GameObject for setting options in the Editor or directly from script.
    • Fast and optimized operation: combines 100K individual meshes in under a second.
    • Combines complex object hierarchies with multiple materials.
    • Automatically handles Unity's 64K vertex limit - you can combine an unlimited number of meshes without worries.
    • Batching process is reversible (v1.1).
    • Clear documentation.
    • Demo scene provided.

Video Demonstration

Manual

If you wish to have more info about how it works, you can download the manual in PDF format:
    http://www.georgesdimitrov.com/wp-content/uploads/Runtime-Mesh-Batcher-Manual-V1_2.pdf

Changelog

Version 1.1

IMPROVEMENTS:

• Created combined meshes are now parented under distinct GameObjects incrementally named "RuntimeMeshBatcherParent_n”, allowing to easily find them in the hierarchy if needed.
    • RuntimeMeshBatcher.CombineMeshes now returns the newly created parent GameObject. You can keep that reference around to do things with the combined meshes, for example delete or deactivate them, or uncombine them.
    • Added “Destoy original objects” option, if you do not need to keep the original GameObjects for purposes like keeping the colliders on them (false by default).
    • Added “Keep original object references” option, which enables a new UncombineMeshes method to reverse the process (false by default to save memory if you do not need the functionality).
    • Added RuntimeMeshBatcher.UncombineMeshes(rmbParent) which you can call with the reference to the parent object, to undo the batching process.
    • Original GameObjects transform hierarchy is now preserved after the batching.
    • Added tooltips to the custom inspector.
    • Some performance optimizations to the code.
    • Updated documentation.
    • Updated demo scene with new UncombineMeshes option.

FIXES:
    • Small error in the demo scene prefab could cause an undefined Tag error.
    • Removed usage of transform.SetParent to make the script backwards compatible with pre-4.6 versions.

Version 1.0

Initial Release

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
  2. georgesdimitrov

georgesdimitrov

Hello,

I've just updated the Runtime Mesh Batcher to Version 1.2. The main new feature (added after a user request) is the new option to batch objects together following a grid, making many smaller meshes instead of huge ones. This may result in a lesser draw calls reduction, but allow different culling procedures, such as frustum culling, distance culling or other custom culling scripts. Depending on your situation, this may provide a better performance.

Changelog for Version 1.2:

NEW FEATURES:
    • Added new option to batch objects in separate meshes following a grid, allowing frusturm or distance culling.

IMPROVEMENTS:

• Added platform dependent compilation code to use "transform.parent =" for Unity 4.5 and "transform.SetParent()" for Unity 4.6. This keeps compatibility with Unity 4.5 and before while avoiding unnecessary warnings on 4.6.
    • Updated documentation.

-------------------

If you have any questions or comments, don't hesitate to post!

3. georgesdimitrov

georgesdimitrov

Hi,

Runtime Mesh Batcher was updated to 1.2.1, a minor release to fix a crash that could occur if objects were sent to batching which didn't have meshes on them. I've also added an option to "autorun" it at startup, if you wish to use it just with the prefab and the inspector window to batch scenes built in the editor, without the need for any scripting.

You can get the update here: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/26200

Changelog for Version 1.2.1:

NEW FEATURES:
    • Added an option to the RuntimeMeshBatcher inspector Controller to automatically batch objects at startup, if the batching is to be done only on meshes created in the editor, not at runtime.
    IMRPOVEMENTS:
    • Updated documentation.
    FIXES:
    • Fixed a crash which could happen if a gameObject sent to RuntimeMeshBatcher had no MeshRenderer components on it or its children.
    • RuntimeMeshBatcherParent objects weren't properly named in an incremental way.

4. GarretPolk

GarretPolk

Georges,

I'm using your scripts in my game to combine tree meshes. It works, but the trees are missing their leaves. I'm using the Unity standard palm tree asset which has two materials "palmbark" and "palmbranch". When the meshes are combined only the "palmbark" is being included. So the trees just have trunks, no leaves.

Can you fix this?
    Thanks.

5. georgesdimitrov

georgesdimitrov

Sure, I'll look into it and get back to you as soon as I find what's wrong.

6. georgesdimitrov

georgesdimitrov

Hi NunSuperior,

There was a problem with how meshes that contain multiple submaterials (like trees) were handled, sorry. I've fixed it and it now seems to work fine with trees when I test it here. If you send me your e-mail in a PM or e-mail me directly, I can send you an updated version of the script to test, and if it's allright, I'll update it on the asset store.

Thanks for the feedback!

7. georgesdimitrov

georgesdimitrov

Hi,

Runtime Mesh Batcher was updated to 1.2.2, a minor release to fix the issue reported above. The system now handles submaterials as it should. There's also a couple of small improvements which were suggested by NunSusperior, thanks a lot!

You can get the update here: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/26200

Changelog for Version 1.2.2:

IMRPOVEMENTS:
    • RuntimeMeshBatcher parent objects are now all parented under the GameObject that has the RuntimeMeshBatcherController script, or if it is not used in the scene, under a single "Container" object.
    • RuntimeMeshBatcherController.instance.CombineMeshes now supports passing a GameObject array to it, while using the rest of the options set up in the inspector. RuntimeMeshBatcher.CombineMeshes could already work with custom arrays, but you had to manually supply the options in code.
    • Updated documentation.

FIXES:
    • Meshes which had multiple sub-materials weren't handled correctly, resulting in parts of the meshes being discarded. This is no longer the case.

8. georgesdimitrov

georgesdimitrov

Hi,

I've just uploaded a Unity 5 version of Runtime Mesh Batcher on the Asset Store, so it's all been tested and works great.

Unity 5 has better dynamic batching system than Unity 4, but I still managed to achieve much higher frame rates on my demo scene with the RMB. And the dynamic bathching isn't saving much FPS anyway as the saves on rendering seem to be spent in CPU.

Unity 4 stats:
    Before: 13736 Draw Calls, 33 FPS, 13ms on Renderer
    After: 29 Draw Calls, 68 FPS, 0.2s on Renderer

Unity 5 stats:
    Without Dynamic Batching Before: 29376 Batches, 22 FPS, 16.9 ms on Renderer
    With Dynamic Batching Before: 97 Batches, 20 FPS, 11ms on Renderer
    After: 49 Batches, 63 FPS, 0.4ms on Renderer

9. CoderPro

CoderPro

Hi,

I have some questions, i hope you will help me !

○ Could i using this asset with static environment like race tracks with colliders (like road mesh colliders...) ?

○ I am using Unity 5, If i am not using RMB then my stats (Tris: 40.0k, Verts: 50.3K). But when i am using RMB then see after stats (Tris: > 80.0k, Verts: >100.0k), its double Tris and Verts numbers. And why it like that ? Could you fix this ?

○ I wish you can add more features in the future. And more improvement for Unity 5 support. Of course, i hope you will maintain this asset ad don't stop develop this !

Waiting for the next updates !

Thanks

Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
  10. angel_m

angel_m

Could anybody tell if this asset works on javascript projects?

11. georgesdimitrov

georgesdimitrov

Hi CoderPro,

Of course, this is meant for static environments. What it does is that it disables the mesh renderers on your original objects, and adds a new object with a huge combined mesh on top of them. But the objects remain as you made them, including any colliders you might have on them. So I guess that the MeshCollider would still work since the mesh is still there on the object, just not rendered. I haven't tested it with MeshColliders though, so I can't be 100% sure - I'll test and report back.

About the doubling of tris and verts, yeah that's just how Unity's MeshCombine function works. I can investigate further, but generally graphic cards can happily live with 2x the polygons if they have 100-1000x less draw calls so it's a good trade.

And don't worry, I'll keep on developing it!

angel_m, I got your email too, was about to respond. Yes, you should be able to use it from javascript. You could either:

1. Place the entire RuntimeMeshBatcher folder in a plugins folder so that it gets compiled first ( see http://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/ScriptCompileOrderFolders.html), useful if you want all scripting functions

2. Or use GameObject.Find("RuntimeMeshBatcherController").SendMessage("CombineMeshes"), much simpler solution if you use the prefab and set up your options with the inspector.

12. angel_m

angel_m

Ok, thanks.
    I have tested the demo scene and it seems as the "Uncombine meshes" button does not work. Is not possible to uncombine the meshes in the editor to recover the individual meshes if needed?

13. georgesdimitrov

georgesdimitrov

Make sure "keep Object references" is checked, or uncombine doesn't work...

14. CoderPro

CoderPro

Thanks for your keep on developing !

About the doubling of tris and verts, I am developing game for mobile devices only. So, i am worry that, if i run on mobile devices, the game performance will be not good. I thing still need fix that. Could you fix it ? or noway to fix it ? Hope you help me !

Last edited: Apr 24, 2015
  15. betaFlux

betaFlux

Hi, I have a question about this asset. Let's say I'm going to instantiate a tile map at runtime with hundreds of quads each with its own texture (all randomly generated), will I be able to combine the quads to one mesh and all the different textures into one single texture/material at runtime, after tile generation without any limitations?

16. georgesdimitrov

georgesdimitrov

@CoderPro, I'm not sur if anything can be done. I've remade some searches and based on this: http://answers.unity3d.com/questions/502700/mesh-combine-increases-triangle-count.html it seems that the mesh itself is not doubled, but somehow the statistics windows reports more tris being sent to draw. I know that I've seen changes to those numbers when you turn on dynamic shadows for example... In any case, you should probalby come out ahead if you are using a very large of number of objects, the draw call reduction is worth it.

@betaFlux, right now my asset does not combine textures/materials, only meshes, which it combines per material. So if you have hundreds of different materials, you'll end up with hundreds of meshes, so basically it would be pointless. I might consider including texture combining, but part of the point with this asset was to provide a clean and simple solution that does one thing right at 5$, versus things like MeshBaker which at 55$ does material combining, atlases, handles prefabs and baked lightmaps and so on.

Would adding the runtime texture combine functions and raising the price of the asset to 10$ would be a good idea for you guys, or would you rather keep it like it is? Or I could do a Runtime Mesh Batcher Pro separate asset with texture capacities?

17. CoderPro

CoderPro

I hope you will not make a Runtime Mesh Batcher Pro separate asset. And the ideas about combine textures are not good. I can not make and use normal map, specular map for that atlas textures. So, i hope you will not make a separate asset like that.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2015
  18. theotherkaki

theotherkaki

I just came here to ask a question, and your answer to angel_m solved it. Thanks!

19. georgesdimitrov

georgesdimitrov

@theorherkaki, great! Happy it works.

For everyone, I haven't updated the asset in the last month or two, as it's mostly doing fine what it's supposed to do. But I would be happy to continue developing it, so are there any features you would like to see?

20. Rau

Rau

Does this system work with sprites?

21. georgesdimitrov

georgesdimitrov

It will not work with sprites, as they are based on SpriteRenderer components, not MeshRenderers which the Runtime Mesh Batcher combines. I haven't really explored Unity's 2D capacities at all except for the UI part, that could be something to look in in the future, but not something I have the time to develop right now.

22. idurvesh

idurvesh

I think its high time to add texture atlas support at runtime... it will be excellent one as I do not think any asset provides that functionality yet

23. kenshin

kenshin

Very interesting!

24. AbyssWanderer

AbyssWanderer

Hey, Gearges. Asset looks great!
    However, I have 2 questions - maybe silly ones, sorry, I'm not a programmer.

1) Can this asset combine meshes when they leave main camera's view? Without any lag I mean.
    And when combined mesh enters camera view, can this asset separate it on initial meshes? Once again without any lag.
    No lag is important in my strategy game, where units constantly enter and leave camera view.

2) Can we switch off feature of parenting combined meshes under distinct GameObjects incrementally named "RuntimeMeshBatcherParent_n”?

25. georgesdimitrov

georgesdimitrov

Hi AbyssWanderer,

The asset could combine and uncombine meshes, but it's not "lag-proof" in a real-time context, and it's not meant to be used on things that change constantly. If you combine meshes when creating/loading a level, the lag will be unnoticeable, but if it happens a lot during gameplay it's not ideal.

As for the parenting, that's how unity's combine mesh work, but you can re-parent your newly combined mesh anywhere you want in the hiearachy if you wish to do so.

26. Shutter

Shutter

I surely think you should add the texture combine function. The idea of simplicity in your asset should remain, and its differential certainly is the focus on runtime-genereated content. But lacking the texutre combiner makes the asset impossible to be used for batching meshes of different materials, which is the usual case for more challenging performance situations. I, for one, think a PRO version with that feature added for the $10 you had mentioned last year would be very welcome.

That said, a quick question: is your asset capable of batching mashes and/or instances that were re-scaled with very different scales, provided that they still use the same material? Thanks!

27. Shutter

Shutter

By the way, an addendum: it would be specially important for your asset to have a texture combiner because your asset seems to handle the 64k vertex limit much better than other fancier assets out there (some like Mesh Baker do not even handle that at all).

28. georgesdimitrov

georgesdimitrov

Hi! I'll think about the texture combining option, but I have some other projects I need to take care of first.

As for scaling, yes, it combines elements fine, I've just tested it with 2 copies of an element, one at 1/1/1 scale, and one at 100/100/100. It combined them well, although the texture map changed very slightly, I guess it's due to how Unity's rendered handles it - before it applied the map on the object then scaled it, afterwards it scaled the map on an object that's not scaled anymore (it's new vertices).

It shouldn't make a big difference for smaller scale ranges, and anyway you'll only see a change if you actually batch the objects while the camera is looking at them.

29. Zyxil

Zyxil

Just purchased. Looks great.

How about adding a parameter that is a GameObject reference for the parent of the current batching operation?

30. georgesdimitrov

georgesdimitrov

Hi Zyxil, I'm not sure to undersyand what you mean... You would like to be able to add a paramater which would be an existing object, which would be used as the new parent instead of the parent the batcher creates? Would that be a parameter for the automatic batching component or the scripted call?

31. Zyxil

Zyxil

For me, I am using the RMB via scripting calls, using the GameObject array to batch specific groups of objects. I plan on having up to 512 of these zones present at any time. On loading the level and these zones, the objects within that zone will be batched.

If I could pass in the GameObject that would become the parent of the batch meshes, that would be very helpful.

32. georgesdimitrov

georgesdimitrov

Well, I just looked at the code and it's really easy to add a parameter for that.

Normally the RMB creates a master parent "RuntimeMeshBatcherContainer" GameObject and parents underneath individual "RuntimeMeshBatcherParent_00" GameObjects for each batch. This was intended to keep things neat in the scene hierarchy.

Providing an optional parent GameObject would simply bypass that procedure and parent all newly batched objects under that object.

I'll prepare an implementation tonight or tomorrow and I can send it directly to you to test a beta version, if it's what you required and it works fine, I'll send the official update to the Asset Store.

33. Zyxil

Zyxil

Very cool, thanks, Georges!

34. georgesdimitrov

georgesdimitrov

Hi Zyxil,

I got the new code ready, if you PM me your e-mail adress, I can send you a copy of the script. :)

35. Zyxil

Zyxil

I received the beta modification, Georges.

It works like a champ.

But now that I have tested it (and I should have tested this better before I posted my request), I see that this feature request is not really necessary. Since the CombineMeshes() function returns the parent GO, there's no need to pass in a "prepared" GO, like I was thinking. The parent GO will get destroyed in UncombineMeshes() anyways.

I'm doing a minecraft clone and am going to use RMB to combine block meshes in non-active zones. When the zone becomes active, I will uncombine the blocks. My thought was to have a RMB node in each zone prefab, for organizations sake, but now after testing, I'll just store the created parent instead of making one.

I appreciate the support!!

36. georgesdimitrov

georgesdimitrov

Hi Zyxil,

No worries! I knew that you could achieve a similar result with the GameObject returned by the CombineMeshes method (that's why it returns the created parent, so that you can do particular things with it). But I thought that providing an additional option where the batching would be done under a custom provided GameObject wouldn't hurt, it would save some code for people who would need to do that.

Thanks for the feedback, I'll send the update to the asset store in any case if others might benefit from it.

37. Zyxil

Zyxil

One quirk I saw in my testing was that the parent node is destroyed when UncombineMeshes() is called. This is a bit weird when the user provides an already created GO as they may not be expecting it to disappear later.

38. georgesdimitrov

georgesdimitrov

Yes, I'll adjust that so that either it actually creates a subparent (that can be destroyed later when uncombining) and then puts that parent under your provided gameobject, or keep a reference somewhere that this was a "custom" GO so that it doesn't get destroyed when uncombining.

39. devotid

devotid

@georgesdimitrov

I just purchased this for a new side project I am working on. I tried the demo scene and the combine button works fine but the uncombine button just deletes all the StoneFloor GameObjects and leaves a empty field with nothing. I have not touched anything. It just deletes the gameobjects. The "Keep References" is the only bool checked on the Controller. Which i think is default. Is this normal? Arent they just supposed to be back to normal after uncombine?

I am looking to combine hundreds of identical instantiated Rigidbody objects in many piles for a new project. I wanted to be able to combine them when the player is not working on the pile and then uncombine them when the player returns to work on them. There will be a 1-2 second delay for loading with a cut scene before working on objects.

I will be handling the rigidbody, Kinematic and the "sleep & awake" on all gameobjects stuff with another script but I need the objects to be back in the same place with the same transform positions when I "uncombine". Is that how it should work?

Thanks for your time and any help you can offer me.

devotid

40. georgesdimitrov

georgesdimitrov

Hi devotid,

Sorry for the delay, I was in the process of changing computers last week. Now that that's done I'll reinstall my Unity setup and look at the demo to see what is going on! Normally it should batch/unbatch without problems.

41. maciekfreak

maciekfreak

@georgesdimitrov I just purchase your asset.

I have to questions:

1. Can I add new GameObject to merge with previously merged ones in runtime?

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  42. devotid

devotid

Any word on the demo....?

43. devotid

devotid

hhhmmmmnnn, Doesnt seem to be any support. Guess were on our own here.... :/

Anyone using this have the new demo working properly? When I combine them and then uncombine the originals are just deleted and not placed back where they originally were. Tested on 5.4.0, 5.5, 5.6 Beta and 5.6.f3 All not working.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
    Shinodan360 likes this.
  44. Marcos-Elias

Marcos-Elias

I bought your script today!

Awesome! It has increased a lot my fps, that was a very good thing! I cannot use Unity's static batching because I need Floating Origin, to make a large map in only one scene (constantly moving everything keeping the camera near to 0,0,0... no object can be marked as Static for me).

This runtime solution was perfect.

Just one question... Does it compress the mesh data? I saw on Profiler, my mesh memory was ~50 MB before, after combining them with your script, the Mesh memory on Profiler increases to ~200 MB (my project is a city with lots of buildings). I think that this can be a problem on low end smartphones/tablets, with 512 MB of RAM only.

45. Shinodan360

Shinodan360

Hi I can confirm that the uncombine part is not working, it just removes the objects like a few users have stated, i really hope you aren't awol, please help us oh great coder, we are helpless! :( Here is screenshots to show that the keep references is infact set to true.

[Edit, Also tested demo scene in unity 4.6.3, same result :(

This is a screenshot after combining, uncombining, and then combining again.

And this is when i combine and then uncombine.

Regards,
    Dan

Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
  46. georgesdimitrov

georgesdimitrov

Hello! I am not AWOL, don't worry. I will take a look at all my assets this coming week and will make sure they are up to date with receny Unity versions, and make sure to fix that issue with the uncombine. I'll post an update here as soon as it's done.

Shinodan360 likes this.
  47. Shinodan360

Shinodan360

Hello, any news on the update? :)

48. georgesdimitrov

georgesdimitrov

Hi,

I did find the problem, it has to do with how the Runtime Mesh Batcher deals with parents. There was a bug where it destroyed the "parent" without detaching objects first. It's easy to fix, but I took the opportunity to rewrite substantially part of the code to allow the "Uncombine" to store the original object parents (if any) and when reinstating them, to put them back exactly where they originally were. I should upload it to the Asset Store tonight.

Shinodan360 likes this.
  49. Shinodan360

Shinodan360

That sounds exiting, cant wait to try! :D
    Really appreciate your efforts!

Thanks,
    Dan

50. georgesdimitrov

georgesdimitrov

It's pending review. In the updated version, I've also included support for Reflection probes, light probes and renderer layer settings as a commenter requested on the asset store - the batched objects now copy the settings from the original objects. (Batched objects using the same material should have identical settings, or it might lead to unexpected behavior.)

Shinodan360 likes this.