Search Unity

Survival Shooter Q&A

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by willgoldstone, Jul 3, 2015.

1. jenskop

jenskop

I think I sort of messed up something in the Zombunny model Inspector. I was dragging the arrow of this length bar around and I accidently saved it. Now my rabbit doesn't die. Just stops doing damage and stands still with the walking animation in motion. What were the original values? Can it even be the fault of this?

Attached Files:

• 5624.PNG
      5624.PNG
      File size:
      341.3 KB
      Views:
  2. zarnes

zarnes

Blitzuk, thanks for paying attention, I copied the code and it still don't works.
    But no problem, I moved to an other project, I'll eventually will try this one again later :).

3. Classicpau99

Classicpau99

Hello, when I finished the game everything was working correctly, but then, I builded the game, open the .exe but the camera was static, it wasn't following the character. The problem of this, is that it follows the character in Unity. I don't know why is this happening. The Script seems to be alright as it's working in Unity. I've tried different resolutions and Window mode.

Code (CSharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    2. using System.Collections;
    4. namespace CompleteProject
    5. {
    6.     public class CameraFollow : MonoBehaviour
    7.     {
    8.         public Transform target;            // The position that that camera will be following.
    9.         public float smoothing = 5f;        // The speed with which the camera will be following.
    12.         Vector3 offset;                     // The initial offset from the target.
    15.         void Start ()
    16.         {
    17.             // Calculate the initial offset.
    18.             offset = transform.position - target.position;
    19.         }
    22.         void FixedUpdate ()
    23.         {
    24.             // Create a postion the camera is aiming for based on the offset from the target.
    25.             Vector3 targetCamPos = target.position + offset;
    27.             // Smoothly interpolate between the camera's current position and it's target position.
    28.             transform.position = Vector3.Lerp (transform.position, targetCamPos, smoothing * Time.deltaTime);
    29.         }
    30.     }

4. tburns517

tburns517

Hello everyone,

I am currently in the process of doing some of my own upgrades to the Survival Shooter game, and one update that I want to implement is to have a boss Hellephant which spawns every so often. I tried to take the original Hellephant prefab and scale it to a bigger size, but the actual Hellephant won't scale, just its colliders. Any idea of what I could do?

5. zesman1

zesman1

i have the same problem as Classicpau99. Everything seems ok in the game view, except when i build and run the game, the camera doesn't follow the player.

6. p12e32

p12e32

Hey zesman1 and Classicpau99,

When you're building the game, when in build settings the default scene is the _Completed Assets version instead of the one that you put together. Click the [add open scenes] button and uncheck the _Completed Assets version to build your version with a working camera.

Hope this helps.

Attached Files:

zesman1 likes this.
  7. zesman1

zesman1

Thanks, i deleted the completed scene and added my own scene. Now its working, thanks.
    ... Was kind of silly from me, for not noticing it.

8. RebelBinary

RebelBinary

I've been having the same issue with player not returning a valid Player object as many people have reported and can fix and reproduce this error by simply reloading the project, opening the player animation and tweaking the death transition state has exit time and Can Transition to self (which I had to set to false as it was messing up my death animation). Doing changes to the player animation states will cause this null exception and the ZomBunny to no longer find the player by tag. Reloading the project makes it work again.

SOLUTION:
    1) Replace GameObject.FindGameObjectWithTag ("Player"); with GameObject.Find("Player");
    or
    2) Add a new Tag "Hero" and set the player to tag Hero and GameObject.FindGameObjectWithTag ("Hero");

I noticed while adding tags, none of the existing tags included in the project are listed. I suspect this issue is because this project was made under an older version of Unity and there is some issue with player tags working properly in my current one (Unity 5.3)

Valeon likes this.
  9. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

It is worth checking that all of the tags are properly set in the tags and layers panel...

10. boatakks

boatakks

I have followed the tutorial and everything up to the VERY LAST STEP is working fine. My problem is literally the very last step of the tutorial. I am referring to the step where you drag the player game object onto the reference to player health on the Game Over Manager script component on the HUD canvas.

When i drag the player component to the player health reference, NOTHING HAPPENS. it still shows the reference as "None (Player Health)". When I use the circle select method, and choose the player gameobject, still nothing happens and the reference shows NONE.

This operation worked fine for the Enemy Manager step. but it will simply will not stick for me in the Game Over Manager.

11. AlexBarry1996

AlexBarry1996

I'm on step 6 and I'm having trouble trying to get the enemy to harm the player, I've checked all the tags and made sure their correct but I keep getting a nullReferenceException
    upload_2016-2-20_22-59-20.png
    I'm also using 5.3.2

12. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

If you are dragging a GameObject onto a Component Reference Field (eg: Rigidbody, MyCustomScript, Collider) and after doing that the field remains at "None(Type)", the most common cause it that this Component is not attached to the GameObject being dragged onto the field. Check that GameObject and make sure the Component is present.

13. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

I'm not that familiar with this project. Where is "playerHealth" set? Are you sure that this is properly referenced? You can test that this is properly referenced by using the line "Debug.Log(playerHealth);" and checking the logged value. If this is properly referenced, then you need to check "currentHealth". Usually the issue is the instance of the class is not referenced properly, but it is possible there is another issue that's making "currentHealth" unavailable...

14. Mryogi23

Mryogi23

I did phase two with the animations, but my character isn't walking around. He's just sliding everywhere. Anyone know what I did wrong?

15. anargh

anargh

My problem comes up when i try to build this game for windows, camera wont follow the character.. Everything works when i am in the unity. When i start the builded EXE for windows camera just wont follow. Any help? Everything else works.

16. AL123

AL123

Help!!
    Zombunny not following me

17. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

This is hard to say without more detailed information. Essentially it's like going into the garage and saying "My car is broken. What do I do to fix it?" There could be any number of problems and therefor any number of solutions.

Without more detailed information, I'd suggest going thru the last lesson again and checking your step in both the code (remembering that both spelling and capitalisation are important, as C# is case sensitive), and the steps done in the editor and make sure that everything is correct.

One tip is to do a "Save As" at the end of each lesson so you can go back to the last working version of the project and follow it thru the steps again, without having to back-track using a partly completed project.

18. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Hmmm. I've not encountered this one myself. Perhaps @peteorstrike might know?

19. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

This is hard to say without more detailed information. Essentially it's like going into the garage and saying "My car is broken. What do I do to fix it?" There could be any number of problems and therefor any number of solutions.

Without more detailed information, I'd suggest going thru the last lesson again and checking your step in both the code (remembering that both spelling and capitalisation are important, as C# is case sensitive), and the steps done in the editor and make sure that everything is correct.

One tip is to do a "Save As" at the end of each lesson so you can go back to the last working version of the project and follow it thru the steps again, without having to back-track using a partly completed project.

20. peteorstrike

peteorstrike

Unity Technologies

If it looks like it's working when you hit Play in your Unity Game view but building incorrectly, I suspect this is because by default the project is set up to build the _CompletedAssets/Scenes/Level01_5.x scene file rather than the scene file you create when you follow the tutorial. When you go to the Build window, make sure to add your scene as the one to be built and uncheck the Completed version.

The likely reason this error is happening is that we've had a few instances where the downloaded asset package has erroneously disabled components on the Main Camera GameObject in the CompletedAssets version of the scene; you can check this by seeing if the CompletedAssets scene Main Camera's Camera Follow (Script) component is checked on or not (my guess is that it's not enabled currently). I'm going to try and push a fix for this issue later today!

edit - Having read back through, this probably also answers @Classicpau99's and @zesman1's question above as well - thanks to @p12e32 for spotting it early!

21. Deleted User

Deleted User

Where you able to fix? What did you do? I'm having a similar issue.

I put in an if statement and used a string to indicate if my bool variable was triggering... it says moving when moving and not moving when not moving.....but only seems to glide, occossionally it will begin to "hop" randomly and not stop until change direction or stop the key press...using version 5.3.1f1

22. Deleted User

Deleted User

Ok i'm thinking it's something that needs to change in the inspector/animator to condense the frames because it seems to transition but takes 12 seconds or so.

23. antoniovbraz

antoniovbraz

First off, double click PlayerAC to open up the Animator Tab ensure your idle to move transition has IsWalking true for the condition. Also, make sure Has Exit Time is not checked or you will end up with a huge delay before your character's move animation kicks in. This is most likely the problem.

Wonder-Waffles and Deleted User like this.
  24. Mryogi23

Mryogi23

Well, I managed to solve the problem, but I have another question in terms of the enemies navigation settings. The advanced setting on the enemies Navigation tab doesn't have Width Inaccuracy. Should I ignore it due to it being from an older version of Unity, or is there a way to fix this if I have to do this?

25. telferman

telferman

26. telferman

telferman

i tried to download the latest version of the survival shooter and it says it can't decompress the package. seems straight forward and i've tried it several times. don't have any problems downloading from the asset store otherwise - thanks gary

27. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

This is usually related to lack of drive space. Like many things of this genre, you need to have enough space for the download AND enough space to decompress and decrypt the final asset into - so if you have a 1gb asset you need at least 2gb of space to download it.

28. telferman

telferman

i have plenty of disk space - 500+gb, so it's not that. is there another way to download it?

29. TheCelt

TheCelt

So I am on step 2 of 10 and my character does not move no matter what I do with my keyboard or my mouse.

I have no syntax errors in my script so am totally lost to where I went wrong. This is my script i wrote, maybe some one can see a logic error i have missed:

http://pastebin.com/rmD76E3Q

If it's not my code then that narrows it down to probably something stupid like a tick box I have missed but want to rule out the code being the issue because i am not wanting to re-watch a 30 minute video if it's a mistake in my code !

Unity version: 5.3.2f1

Also if you could suggest what possible features of a given layer in the engine i might need to check that could cause there to be no movement, that will greatly save time with my trying to find the cause.

30. Deleted User

Deleted User

Yes, unchecking the HAS EXIT TIme fixed the problem. Thank you for pointing that out.

31. Deleted User

Deleted User

Did you attach the script to the player object in the hierarchy. I'd check that.

32. ohanzee

ohanzee

what changes should i be making in all the script if i need to integrate jump in the player movement

33. ohanzee

ohanzee

i tried sampling this script on character it was not moving

34. Benedikt_K

Benedikt_K

I have a few problems understanding the Ray and its functions used in the PlayerMovement Script to turn the player to the mouse cursor. It works, I just want to fully understand the logic of the code...
    Code (CSharp):
    1. void Turning ()
    2. {
    3. Ray camRay = Camera.main.ScreenPointToRay (Input.mousePosition);
    5. RaycastHit floorHit;
    7. if (Physics.Raycast (camRay, out floorHit, camRayLength, floorMask))
    How does Physics.Raycast return "true" here? The class itself simply performs the casting of the ray, right? I looked up the class in the API Documentation, so I know the parameters have to be our ray (our just set Ray camRay going from the camera to the mouse cursor), a check wether it hits something, a maximum distance (in the script it's 100f) and a layer mask.

It's the RaycastHit information and the layer mask part I do not understand.

floorHit saves the value for a RaycastHit. Now, is a RaycastHit value like a boolean that returns "true" if a ray hit something and "false" if not? What does this word "out" do?

And do we set the floorMask simply to know what the ray needs to hit to return a "true"? What exactly is a layer mask? Simply the Quad we put into the level's floor at the very beginning?

Little Edit: And while we're at it... I still do not get the real difference between an int and a float. Is the int a fixed value while floats are changeable..?

Last edited: Mar 15, 2016
  35. KAYUMIY

KAYUMIY

I started creating "Survival Shooter" project.
    When I drag and drop lights from prefabs, there was a only one lights.
    However, in tutorial here was two lights.

Do I have to keep continuing? Or Is something wrong?

36. KAYUMIY

KAYUMIY

Could you explain this source code below:

movement = movement.normalized * speed * Time.deltaTime;

This code is written in the Move method in Player Character tutorial.

37. Wonder-Waffles

Wonder-Waffles

Thanks for this! I was having the same problem.

It seems like GameObject.FindGameObjectWithTag and GameObject.FindWithTag get the transform of the player once (on Awake) and then never updates it - the script always thinks the player is at (0,0,0). GameObject.Find seems to update that position.

For what it's worth, it seems like the EnemyAttack script also needs to be edited this way - doesn't work with GameObject.FindGameObjectWithTag or GameObject.FindWithTag, works fine with GameObject.Find.

Why this is I am too newb to guess...

Last edited: Mar 21, 2016
  38. KAYUMIY

KAYUMIY

In Roll a ball project:
    Code (CSharp):
    2. float moveHorizontal = Input.GetAxis ("Horizontal");
    3. float moveVertical = Input.GetAxis ("Vertical");
    5. Vector3 move = new Vector3 (moveHorizontal, 0, moveVertical);
    6. rb.AddForce (move * speed);
    In Space Shooter project:

Code (CSharp):
    2. float moveHorizontal = Input.GetAxis ("Horizontal");
    3. float moveVertical = Input.GetAxis ("Vertical");
    5. Vector3 movement = new Vector3 (moveHorizontal, 0.0f, moveVertical);
    6. rb.velocity = movement * speed;  
    In Survival Shooter project:

Code (CSharp):
    2. movement.Set (h, 0f, v);
    3. movement = movement.normalized * speed * Time.deltaTime;  
    4. playerRigidbody.MovePosition (transform.position + movement);

Three project used different way to move in horizontal and vertical axis.
    Why are these 3 project different?

I need a clarification for these 3 codes below:

rb.AddForce() (Roll a ball)
    rb.velocity (Space Shooter)
    rb.MovePosition() (Survival Shooter)

39. KAYUMIY

KAYUMIY

in CameraFollow script
    Code (CSharp):
    1. void FixedUpdate()
    2.     {
    3.         Vector3 targetCamPos = target.position + offset;
    4.         transform.position = Vector3.Lerp (transform.position, targetCamPos, smoothing * Time.deltaTime);
    6.     }
    I changed this script:

Code (CSharp):
    1. Vector3 targetCamPos = target.position + offset;
    2. transform.position = targetCamPos;
    Both of them work well. No diffrence. Why do we have to use

Vector3.Lerp function?

40. KAYUMIY

KAYUMIY

In Adding Enemy tutorial, you add two different collider to the Enemy object.
    One of them is Capsule c for physical purpose. Second of them is Sphere Collider as a trigger for detection the Player object.

My question: Why did you use two different collider?
    Can I attach two capsule collider to one object for different purposes which are trigger and physics.

41. matrix4579

matrix4579

I'm trying to implement a Xbox One controller instead of using a mouse to turn Player. Do you have an example of what the Script for Turning() would look like with axis from a Xbox One Controller?

42. ericnorway

ericnorway

Hi everybody,

I'm having a bit of trouble with the hit particles (the fluff). If I shoot an enemy continuously, the particles work fine. If I shoot an enemy, stop, and resume shooting, the hit particles stop working when I resume shooting. I tried copying and pasting the EnemyHealth and PlayerShooting scripts directly from https://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/projects/survival-shooter/harming-enemies?playlist=17144 , but with no change. I'm using Unity version 5.3.2f1. This affects all three types of enemies. Thanks :)

43. Ocean257

Ocean257

why is the mesh filter not removed from the floor? what is the use of it as we have removed mesh renderer from the floor (quad)

44. Ocean257

Ocean257

unTick isTigger from capsule collider
    make sure your healthslider has value = max value

45. LVCATIME

LVCATIME

I am using Unity 5.3 and I am getting 3 errors

"Assets/_CompletedAssets/Scripts/Helpers/BeautyShot.cs(53,77): error CS0103: The name `EditorSceneManager' does not exist in the current context"

"Assets/_CompletedAssets/Scripts/Helpers/BeautyShot.cs(53,48): error CS1502: The best overloaded method match for `System.IO.Path.GetFileNameWithoutExtension(string)' has some invalid arguments"

"Assets/_CompletedAssets/Scripts/Helpers/BeautyShot.cs(53,77): error CS0103: The name `EditorSceneManager' does
    not exist in the current context"

Not sure what BeautyShot even is because it was never introduced in the tutorial.
    It is in the _CompletedAssets folder

The root problem with all of these errors seems to be this line of code:
    var sceneName = System.IO.Path.GetFileNameWithoutExtension( EditorSceneManager.currentScene );
    var path = "BeautyShots/{0}/{1}";

Please let me know how to fix these errors or whether I just messed something up.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2016
  46. jsco

jsco

I've just finished the Survival Shooter tutorial and it was awesome! I'd like to add the ability to jump but haven't gotten it figured out yet. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! :)

Code (CSharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    3. public class PlayerMovement : MonoBehaviour
    4. {
    5.     public float speed = 6f;            // The speed that the player will move at.
    7.     Vector3 movement;                   // The vector to store the direction of the player's movement.
    8.     Animator anim;                      // Reference to the animator component.
    9.     Rigidbody playerRigidbody;          // Reference to the player's rigidbody.
    10.     int floorMask;                      // A layer mask so that a ray can be cast just at gameobjects on the floor layer.
    11.     float camRayLength = 100f;          // The length of the ray from the camera into the scene.
    12.     float JumpForce = 20f;
    15.     void Awake ()
    16.     {
    17.         // Create a layer mask for the floor layer.
    18.         floorMask = LayerMask.GetMask ("Floor");
    20.         // Set up references.
    21.         anim = GetComponent <Animator> ();
    22.         playerRigidbody = GetComponent <Rigidbody> ();
    23.     }
    24.     void FixedUpdate ()
    25.     {
    26.         // Store the input axes.
    27.         float h = Input.GetAxisRaw ("Horizontal");
    28.         float v = Input.GetAxisRaw ("Vertical");
    30.         // Move the player around the scene.
    31.         Move (h, v);
    33.         // Turn the player to face the mouse cursor.
    34.         Turning ();
    36.         // Animate the player.
    37.         Animating (h, v);
    39.         //Hoping to make the player jump!
    40.         Jump ();
    41.     }
    43.     void Move (float h, float v)
    44.     {
    45.         // Set the movement vector based on the axis input.
    46.         movement.Set (h, 0f, v);
    48.         // Normalise the movement vector and make it proportional to the speed per second.
    49.         movement = movement.normalized * speed * Time.deltaTime;
    51.         // Move the player to it's current position plus the movement.
    52.         playerRigidbody.MovePosition (transform.position + movement);
    53.     }
    55.     void Turning ()
    56.     {
    57.         // Create a ray from the mouse cursor on screen in the direction of the camera.
    58.         Ray camRay = Camera.main.ScreenPointToRay (Input.mousePosition);
    60.         // Create a RaycastHit variable to store information about what was hit by the ray.
    61.         RaycastHit floorHit;
    63.         // Perform the raycast and if it hits something on the floor layer...
    64.         if(Physics.Raycast (camRay, out floorHit, camRayLength, floorMask))
    65.         {
    66.             // Create a vector from the player to the point on the floor the raycast from the mouse hit.
    67.             Vector3 playerToMouse = floorHit.point - transform.position;
    69.             // Ensure the vector is entirely along the floor plane.
    70.             playerToMouse.y = 0f;
    72.             // Create a quaternion (rotation) based on looking down the vector from the player to the mouse.
    73.             Quaternion newRotation = Quaternion.LookRotation (playerToMouse);
    75.             // Set the player's rotation to this new rotation.
    76.             playerRigidbody.MoveRotation (newRotation);
    77.         }
    78.     }
    80.     void Jump()
    81.     {
    82.         if (Input.GetKeyDown("space"))
    83.         {
    84.         Debug.Log ("Should Jump");
    86.         Vector3 rayOrigin = GetComponent<Collider>().bounds.center;
    88.         float rayDistance = GetComponent<Collider>().bounds.extents.y + 0.1f;
    89.         Ray ray = new Ray ();
    90.         ray.origin = rayOrigin;
    91.         ray.direction = Vector3.down;
    92.         if(Physics.Raycast(ray, rayDistance, 1 << 8)) {
    93.             Debug.Log ("Jumping");
    94.             GetComponent<Rigidbody>().AddForce (Vector3.up * JumpForce, ForceMode.VelocityChange);
    95.         }
    96.       }
    97.     }
    99.     void Animating (float h, float v)
    100.     {
    101.         // Create a boolean that is true if either of the input axes is non-zero.
    102.         bool walking = h != 0f || v != 0f;
    104.         // Tell the animator whether or not the player is walking.
    105.         anim.SetBool ("IsWalking", walking);
    106.     }
    107. }

47. AliasVeter

AliasVeter

I can`t correct bake environment. What i am doing wrong?

48. Umbra1

Umbra1

I was wondering why the Zombunny was starting at the top of the stood and stuck during testing.
    I had the same problem so I went to the NavMesh Baking Video listed below the lesson and found how ID what areas to change. After learning how it should be set up I found the error, if you look at the Scene you'll notice all the walkable ares baked are the top of the dresser, stool and inside the Doll House. I went to the Object Tab in the Navigation pane and looked at all the Items in the Environment and found the Navigation Area listed all areas walkable but the floor area. It was set backwards so if you correct it then clear and re-Bake it should be fine.
    I hope this helps you out.

money4honey, vesion, saklis and 2 others like this.
  49. AliasVeter

AliasVeter

Umbra1 thanks. It helped.

50. AliasVeter

AliasVeter

Where can i get MenuCanvas GameObject? Is there a lesson, showing how to make it by myself? Or link to download original GameObject?