Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity 5 standard shader (uber shader) tessellation and subsurface scattering

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DigitalAdam, Aug 11, 2014.

1. DigitalAdam

DigitalAdam

Can anyone confirm if Unity 5 will have tessellation with pn triangle support, and whether subsurface shading will be available for skin?

Thanks.

2. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

Not out of the box, but just like in Unity 4.x, you can always write your own shaders, to do both PN-triangles, and a number of subsurface scattering approaches (texture space diffusion, preintegrated skin shading, screenspace diffusion, etc.).

3. dvelasco

dvelasco

Could you suggest a good implementation? I am looking to add SSS to some flowers, for a more realistic look. I have Unity 5 Pro. Thanks!

4. kburkhart84

kburkhart84

I think this is something that will be included in Shaderforge. If you aren't much for writing shaders you might be better off waiting another week or 2 while Shaderforge gets updated for Unity5. It already would work as the author was trying to do updates during the beta cycle, but since things kept changing he kind of gave up. But now that it is released it is likely to come soon. I'm waiting too.....

5. Neoku

Neoku

Today a SSS (fake for games) is really necesary, i hope that someone share a option update with the new PBS Unity shader.

6. thxfoo

thxfoo

Pro Tip: Look at UE4 source code and reimplement that in Unity. They have something better for that than SSS (SSS fakes the real effect, it does not look correct). With that the light shines through the leaves.
    Look for transmissive lighting here:
    https://www.unrealengine.com/blog/unreal-engine-47-released

Ryiah likes this.
  7. zelmund

zelmund

i dont see magic in eu4 folliage shader. all that stuff unity has already.

8. thxfoo

thxfoo

You must be very blind.
    The light shines throught the leaves and you see the veins depending on point of view. It is a whole other level for foilage rendering.

briank likes this.