Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity 5 rev14 random crash

Discussion in 'Unity 5 Pre-order Beta' started by AtvSkoll, Nov 24, 2014.

1. AtvSkoll

AtvSkoll

Hi,

I'm experiencing random crashes in the editor with the rev 14 (and before that the 13).
    I haven't really isolated a pattern but it seems that it only crash when i have the mouse cursor over the editors GUI. Once again it is happening randomly, so i can't be sure about it.
    Sometimes i can work several minutes (yay!) but the average time between crash is between 20s and 1 minute. In other words I simply can't work.

It seems really brutal for something i can't found any information about anywhere, so i'm starting to ask myself if it's not on my side, but where, i really don't know.

By the way, i can't find a dedicated support subforum for Unity 5, is there any ? If i wasn't supposed to post about the beta here, where was i supposed to do it ?

Thanks for your help.

2. fffMalzbier

fffMalzbier

3. AtvSkoll

AtvSkoll

Wow, i must be blind, i didn't even saw the subforum. Thanks.
    What should i do then ? Repost in the right section or wait for a moderator to move it ?

And to answer, this in fact on an empty scene, i only imported numerous assets to the project but they aren't on the scene.

4. fffMalzbier

fffMalzbier

Do you have any asset in your project that cold potently add custom editor windows or change existing editor windows?
    They maybe not compatible with unity 5. (They are loaded as soon as they are imported into the project and can cause crashes without you knowing)
    Can you find anything related to the crash inside the log files of unity?

Can you create an empty (I mean without anything imported) and it still crashes?

5. AtvSkoll

AtvSkoll

I just tried on an empty project. Still crashes.
    Noticed a few that happened without intervention on the GUI. So really no pattern behind it.
    I also had one just after clicking a few pixels above "Window" in the toolbar so ...

EDIT : I've noticed that the editor crashes everytime i right clic on the skybox (to reoriente the camera). Every single time. Also, when my camera is facing a specific direction, it crashes too, there is nothing special in the way, a bit of untouched terrain and the skybox.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2014
  6. Gokcan

Gokcan

I also sometimes have some freezings when I right click and push w,a,s,d. I want to move in the scene but it freeze. Do u have the same thing?

7. AtvSkoll

AtvSkoll

Freezing or crash with closing of the editor ? If you have the second one, i have it with right click, i don't use wasd so i don't know about that.
    I simply got back on U4 as i just can't do anything with 5.

8. Tomza

Tomza

Unity 5.0 beta 14 crashes rarely. I noticed it happens when Unity consumes a lot of memory (memory leak? I have written about that many times). Not always, but sometimes I see my Unity closed. Regarding this case, I can't send a report bug, because the project is too big. However, it's not painful for me.

9. Tomza

Tomza

My Unity has just crashed. I built a player and closed Unity (Unity started to consume memory up to 1,400 MB ) and... Unity stopped working!

10. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

Have any of you tried to disable continuous baking? just curious since it always give me a random crash when it's active

11. AtvSkoll

AtvSkoll

I disabled it and nothing has changed, still got a crash 30 second after. I really don't know what exactly cause it.

12. movra

movra

I also had random crashes with b14 within 1 minute of starting the editor, just moving the mouse over GUI elements.

So far I think I solved it. I downloaded b16. Renamed the ProgramData\Unity folder. Entered the serial in the console as described in the b16 post. Removed all reg keys (after backing up), including those of older versions of Unity, in HKCU\Software\Unity Technologies. I reimported the Unity 4.x reg keys. I have just run b16 for 15 minutes without a crash.

Perhaps the problem is related to Unity 5 importing incompatible Unity 4 settings. Although on closer look the Unity 5 reg key was only 14 KB and the Unity 4 reg key is 210 KB.

Maybe the cause for the crashes was simply fixed after b14.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2014
  13. AtvSkoll

AtvSkoll

Thanks for the answer (and sorry for the delay).
    I also installed b16 and it seems that everything work now.