Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity 5 release date?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PROTOFACTOR_Inc, Mar 20, 2014.

1. Sebioff

Sebioff

Does it only work for prebuilt scenes, or how long does this bake step take? On their product page it just says things like "extremely fast and flexible, instant baking" which sounds like it might be fast enough to use it during runtime.
    So could you for example change the geometry (let's say, randomly generate a level) and tell it to rebake in the background?

2. Lockethane

Lockethane

Sebioff, while I don't know for sure, the actual baking is more than likely to be an Editor class so it wouldn't be possible to do run time baking.

3. Deleted User

Deleted User

I've not touched Unity's version of Enlighten, but I know radiosity should be instant and it were static geometry / directional lights that needed pre-computation and baking for ray traced components.

The whole point of it is that Enlighten is supposed to be dynamic (well in a sense, you can move lights around without a re-build):

http://www.geomerics.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Enlighten_Brochure.pdf

Quote:

"A complete solution
    Enlighten supports fully dynamic lighting; can be used to bake out static lightmaps; and offers a range of possibilities between these extremes. These new ‘hybrid’ lighting models are unique to Enlighten and enable developers to choose from a spectrum of possibilities."

I just hope it's quicker than Lightmass in large scenes, because it's un-usable in UE4. Then again, it should make a massive difference when tweaking.

4. Deleted User

Deleted User

@Saxi I'll quote you here for continuity:

Well if we expect Unity 5.0 to be complete at it's release date for pre-order and beta customers I doubt it wil be, it's called "beta" for a reason.

Just making a point here, because I don't want the engineers at Unity feeling bad because it's not "there" yet. We know it's a beta and we know it needs work, BUT some projects need it and it's time to start learning the new workflows.

So lets hope it does get released for Unite.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2014
    inafield likes this.
  5. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

6. zenGarden

zenGarden

Mobile and 2D remain the strong points.
    A good addition is the second map feature, usefull to have details in textures like cloth, rocks combininb simple maps and detail maps (can be done easy in UE4 also).
    The setup of lightening map, skybox, refelction seems simple to adjust in the editor.
    What is missing :
    - Making visually custom PBS shaders
    - No visual programming feature
    - collision and LOD tools
    - vertex painting
    - More advanced full screen effects
    - advanced terrain with new shaders

Perhaps some more points i missed ? many things are not so new in this presentation, announced from long time already. Still no release dates.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2014
  7. Arowx

Arowx

Will Unity 5 have a low poly mesh collider generator?

I think UE4 has a collision mesh generator as part of it's import/prefab system and it can save a lot of time and effort for developers.

A nice little generate button on the mesh collider component in the UI with a slider for complexity! ;)

8. janpec

janpec

Environment light (skybox) intput is my favourite one, its exactly what Marmoset does. Brilliant.

shkar-noori likes this.
  9. Arowx

Arowx

Pity they couldn't show off enlighten...

It looks really good, hope it's fast at baking or Unity have considered setting up or licensing a GPU powered grid system so we can buy time from the asset store to bake our scenes in seconds not minutes or hours. ;)

NomadKing likes this.
  10. zenGarden

zenGarden

Paying more ? It's free in UE4.

I would have expecetd they could do more than a plugin like Skyshop.

Anyway, Unity is going in the right direction, still i want to see what will be the limitations of Free version ?
    It will need to bring more tools around (vertex painting and others) that are missing, seems a long road before V5 comes out .

11. Lockethane

Lockethane

It was stated that the beta hasn't even started yet or is just beginning :(

12. resequenced

resequenced

Yeah, Unity confirmed a couple of weeks ago that it was still in alpha. But that doesn't mean it can't go into beta on Aug 20 and be available to preorder customers from day 1. :)

13. landon912

landon912

You can already preorder. Any purchases of the Pro license right now, is for 5.x and 4.x.

14. Deleted User

Deleted User

I would guess his / her point being, it can be released to pre-order customers (With a huge warning sign on it :)).

No matter what engine anyone decides on, I don't believe any of them are going to be anywhere production ready until Xmas. Again a guess here, but with every day that passes that's the way it seems.

15. inafield

inafield

I'm betting on Q1 2015.

Deleted User likes this.
  16. mgear

mgear

17. inafield

inafield

Using a filter, I've found a conspiracy in those release notes.

18. ShilohGames

ShilohGames

19. Thiago-Crawford

Thiago-Crawford

I went to see the Unity booth at Siggraph 2014 (Vancouver) and...
    - I was told that Unity 5 had just entered beta stage yesterday.
    - I was also told expected release is at the end of the year (Nov-Dec).
    - I also overheard someone else being told it's in 2-3 month, which puts us just slightly earlier than Nov-Dec timeframe.
    - I got a badge and a cap!;)

For those interested, I also spoke with SpeedTree, and i was told that it will have 2 different pricing models:
    1. Buy just the trees you want
    2. Subscription ($19/month i think it was, but don't quote me on this one), and then you can use any tree in their library. I forgot to ask what happens when subscription runs out though.

p.s: I din't ask about 4.6 and GUI stuff, because I don't care too much about its timeframe.

chelnok, inafield and Devil_Inside like this.
  20. Devil_Inside

Devil_Inside

Nice to know, thanks!

21. Murgilod

Murgilod

superpig likes this.
  22. Daydreamer66

Daydreamer66

If it works just like the current UE4 offering (and it likely will), the $19/month will grant you access to their phenomenal tree modeller, which will produce trees only usable from within the (in this case) Unity engine. They will also have discounted trees on sale in their store specifically for Unity (which will not require the modeller). And when your sub runs out, you'll still have access to every tree created.

I doubt they'll change up this format when U5 is released.

EDIT

To clarify, note that a subscription should NOT be required to buy Unity specific trees from their store.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2014
  23. Deleted User

Deleted User

Has it? Well I can neither confirm or deny the existance of any Beta product. But, someone from Unity obviously could.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2014
  24. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

No it's not Beta at of the time of this post. You were told incorrect things, it seems, and there's no point in speculation. Just be patient.

25. Thiago-Crawford

Thiago-Crawford

Well either you or the Unity representative don't have their facts straight, I'm not fussed either way, just sharing what I was told. If you believe that it won't be out by the end of the year, thats ok too, whatever floats your boat.

EDIT:
    This is a quote straight from unity blog itself...
    "Today, at the biggest show in the game development industry, we threw the veil off of Unity 5 and announced that it’s coming this year! " http://blogs.unity3d.com/2014/03/18/unity-5/
    Maybe the staff at the booth don't know what you obviously know and are following plan that has since changed.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 14, 2014
  26. Deleted User

Deleted User

I believe it probably will be, but as Hippo said it already it's not in Beta. Do you think I'd be sat on a couch eating chicken soup feeling sorry for myself with Man Flu if it was out?

Hell no, I'd be hocked up on red-bull and ibuprofen making shinies.

zombiegorilla and superpig like this.
  27. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I'm just pointing out that it's not in Beta yet, I'm not speculating or saying if it will be or not be out at the end of the year, so I'm not sure why you mentioned that. If it's upsetting people I'll be quiet.

28. Thiago-Crawford

Thiago-Crawford

Well maybe they have it ready, they just haven't handed it out to you guys yet.

29. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

I love this phraseology! I am so going to try to get this on my business cards.

Daydreamer66 and Deleted User like this.
  30. jemast

jemast

Just want to point out that it seems to me they do have b1 ready (may be not distributed yet?). If you look at their webplayer auto-update plist declaration here: http://autoupdate-revision.unity3d.com/revisions.plist you'll see that the 5.x channel is at beta 1. I've been using this tracker to follow the progress of 5.x alphas and was indeed eagerly waiting for it to enter beta, as 2 to 3 months from beta to release seem the minimal. I'd say end of year (nov-dec) seem like a realistic target but obviously since it's a big release beta phase could last longer.

Stormbreaker likes this.
  31. zenGarden

zenGarden

So let's be patient for both Free and Pro users :)
    I have some question for the Free version (until i could sell a game one day and be able to buy a pro version) :
    What features will almost certain ot be on the Free ?
    - PBS and image based lightening (skyshop like )
    - Some Enlighten basic features
    - Deferred lighetning
    - Lod support
    - Render to texture

32. deram_scholzara

deram_scholzara

Pretty sure nothing about that is evidence of an "open beta" but rather is only evidence of an upcoming "beta". It could be open, but only Unity would know as nothing has pointed to that at all.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2014
  33. StarManta

StarManta

PBS yes, they've explicitly stated it's in Free. Render textures almost certainly will remain Pro only. LOD support could go either way. Deferred lighting, I can't say. I doubt any of Enlighten will be in Free.

34. deram_scholzara

deram_scholzara

I doubt deferred lighting will be in Free - they upgraded deferred to a "full deferred" renderer, but that doesn't mean forward rendering is gone.

I would expect that Enlighten will be in Free to the same extent that Beast is currently in Free.

35. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

Yeah, forward rendering is still required by most deferred renderers for things like transparency.

36. LaneFox

LaneFox

I bet in Free there's no lights, only shadows.

37. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

And no Dana, only Zuul?

deram_scholzara and Whippets like this.
  38. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

If you see something weird, who you gonna call?

probably Bugbusters sustained engineering team.

deram_scholzara likes this.
  39. StarManta

StarManta

Probably Aras.

40. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

The Batman???

41. p87

p87

According to a Digital Tutors email that was sent out today, Unity 4.6 is tentatively out "in a month".
    http://blog.digitaltutors.com/interview-with-unity-about-highly-anticipated-unity-4-6/

Unity 5 is "hopefully shipping late this year", according to the evangelist guy in the video.

chelnok, Ness and sqallpl like this.
  42. ZJP

ZJP

Yes, something is wrong :Bad Mobile export plugin. :p

43. rafaelmfernandez

rafaelmfernandez

chelnok and shkar-noori like this.
  44. Ness

Ness

During Keynote they said unity 5 will be in beta for those who preordered in 4-8 weeks. Guess if 5.0 will be realesed this year we gonna be lucky.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
    shkar-noori likes this.
  45. mgear

mgear

Just a note,
    I think it said "shipping pre-order beta in 4-8 weeks" (not open/public beta?)

shkar-noori and Ness like this.
  46. kryptopath2

kryptopath2

as i understood, beta for the people who preordered in 4-8 weeks.

47. Jither

Jither

Yep. Lucas Meijer: "We've shipped an internal beta this week, and we expect to ship the first betas to pre-order customers somewhere between 4 and 8 weeks from now."

48. Ness

Ness

That exactly what they said, my mistake.

49. sqallpl

sqallpl

Am I a 'pre-order' customer if I've subscribed to the Pro license via 'pre-order Unity 5' button? I'm not sure that it was literaly like that, but I think that there was something like pre-order Unity 5 with subscription, or 'find my price' for Unity 5.

50. kurylo3d

kurylo3d

awesome. Cant wait to play with it.