Search Unity

Unity 5 release date?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PROTOFACTOR_Inc, Mar 20, 2014.

1. StarManta

StarManta

Because 5.0 is not a free upgrade. They have to release the GUI in 4.x because they long ago promised it as part of the 4.x cycle.

You'll often see companies release smaller point-versions of version (n-1) when they are on version (n), most often security patches, but this sort of patch happens every so often too.

BlackPanda likes this.
  2. deram_scholzara

deram_scholzara

Because there are plenty of people with Pro licenses who want and are expecting the new GUI system within the 4.x cycle and aren't ready to pay for the upgrade to 5.x to get it. I'm assuming you use the free version, and that would make it confusing if it's the only version you're familiar with. For paying users though, every whole-number upgrade must be budgeted.
    3.x, actually. But that's just nitpicking, and I'm glad they waited, because the latest stuff is looking much nicer than what they originally planned.

BlackPanda likes this.
  3. StarManta

StarManta

I know they said they were working on it during the 3.x cycle, but did they ever explicitly promise "this will be part of 3.x"? They did for 4.x.

4. zDemonhunter99

zDemonhunter99

I won't be surprised if they release Unity 5 before unity 4.6 (Even though that may sound incredible stupid). There may be many users who have the Unity 4 pro version but are hesitant/not able to afford Unity 5. Hence Unity 4.6 may be feared towards those people. But meh, it'll come when it does... Not point in worrying about it.

EDIT: Didn't notice deram's post...

5. Murgilod

Murgilod

They've outright said that they aren't going to be doing this.

6. zDemonhunter99

zDemonhunter99

Ah, I see. I might have missed it somewhere... Thanks for the info.

7. Marek_Bakalarczuk

Marek_Bakalarczuk

Hey, is it really such a problem to compile 64 bit 4.6 version?
    As Unity can see all of us are waiting for it as for salvation... PLEASE!!!

8. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

From what I remember, getting 64 bit editor "working properly" was about 1-man-year of work. There's *a lot* of external middleware we use, and some of it was "quite a bit" problematic. E.g. asset store integration was *completely* rewritten.

Scissors, shkar-noori and calmcarrots like this.
  9. Marek_Bakalarczuk

Marek_Bakalarczuk

OK. But it is 4.5.1 version of Unity. As I remeber users asking for 64 bit sine 3.5 version.

10. Demigiant

Demigiant

By the way Aras, will Unity 5 still work on 32 bit machines, or it will be only 64 bit? I suppose the latter, but I couldn't find a sure answer.

11. calmcarrots

calmcarrots

Because Unity 5 is not done yet will unity 4.6 is *almost* done, but it just needs a lot of testing. If they combined them, we would get the new GUI at the end of the year.... and that wouldn't make me a calmcarrot anymore.

12. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

I'm fairly certain they'll be shipping both 32-bit and 64-bit builds of Unity.

13. shkar-noori

shkar-noori

if what you're saying as a one-man work and the time it would take for that man to complete it, it would only take 2 and a half month to complete it with 5 guys, and yet it you 5 years to do this, as for myself, i guess it was supposed to be in 4.0 not 5.0, I've been using unity for quite some years now and its a great engine, but there some really small stuff that you dont take care of and it keeps some people off the engine, E.g. Built-In Decals

14. BlackPanda

BlackPanda

Thanks for that. :) and yeah, I'm using the free version. :p Just curious, that's why I asked that. :) This Unity team is incredible.

15. tango209

tango209

I would suspect they did have multiple people working on it since it would have touched so many areas of the engine and they would probably need a person familiar with each area in order to do that work. I would also suspect those people had plenty of competing priorities.

Let's not also forget http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mythical_Man-Month

16. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

By that reasoning, nine mothers can give a birth in one month :)

17. Murgilod

Murgilod

A beowomb cluster

Gigiwoo and tiggus like this.
  18. shkar-noori

shkar-noori

hhhhh, no it would be like, if 9 mothers are pregnant with one baby, they can have it in one month

19. tiggus

tiggus

Ok I LOL'ed

20. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

Because we're not releasing simultaneously.

Scissors, BlackPanda and calmcarrots like this.
  21. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

No, that really, truly isn't how it works.

shkar-noori likes this.
  22. BlackPanda

BlackPanda

Yeah I guessed so. Actually if you recheck it, I made that comment in reply to a guy who said the release might be simultaneous. :) Kudos to your fantastic team. Cheers.

Aurore likes this.
  23. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

I know, but everyone decided to quote you, so I quoted your quote to correct the quoters....quoteception.

Beennn, calmcarrots and BlackPanda like this.
  24. BlackPanda

BlackPanda

:eek: [mind f***d] :D Thanks pal.!

Aurore likes this.
  25. daisySa

daisySa

Yeah, that was me. Your question was about why UT don’t just have a single version of Unity, not about the timing. The simultaneous release thing was just random conjecture on my part, which Aurora has now confirmed to be wrong.

To answer your question: in my case, I have both Unity Pro 4 and iOS Pro 4. I have no need to update iOS Pro to v5, but I do need to update Unity Pro to v5 for the 64-bit editor. Therefore, I’ll be updating Unity Pro to v5, and iOS Pro to v4.6. That’s why two versions are required - some customers like me need both.

26. BlackPanda

BlackPanda

Cool :) Ah! no need to make it a big issue. Case closed. :p Fingers X-ed for both versions. :rolleyes:

27. daisySa

daisySa

Yes - the sooner the better. :)

BlackPanda likes this.
  28. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

I think the current plan is to ship both 32 and 64 bit editors for Windows (20% of windows editor users are on 32 bit OS), but only ship 64 bit Mac editor (pretty much all Macs are 64 bit).

29. Demigiant

Demigiant

Great, thanks Aras :)

30. GXMark

GXMark

I have Unity 4.x Pro and have pre-ordered Unity 5.x. May i ask on behalf of all members of Unity and the public at what point does a pre-order become refundable 1 year 2 year 3 year. Surely the public needs a more definite time period of delivery on this?

31. Deleted User

Deleted User

If I was to guess I'd of thought it'd be out this year, it has to be or I have no choice but to move on.

32. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

I'd assume that the pre-order is refundable at any time prior to Unity 5 coming out, tbh.

33. duke

duke

I find it... interesting that anyone using Unity as either a developer or artist is using a 32bit OS these days. Let me guess - XP?

Also, judging by the amount of people waiting on the new GUI, I'm thinking a (ngui, dfgui, etc)->ugui converter might make a dollar or two :)

Patrick234 likes this.
  34. keenanwoodall

keenanwoodall

They won't do that because they promised the new GUI system for 4 so they aren't only going to release it on 5. If they did, all the people who bough 4, expecting the GUI system, would be dissapointed

35. smd863

smd863

There's a classic book about this called the Mythical Man-Month. From Wikipedia: "Complex programming projects cannot be perfectly partitioned into discrete tasks that can be worked on without communication between the workers and without establishing a set of complex interrelationships between tasks and the workers performing them."

More people means more complex communication and management. You can't just divide work by people and expect to have a valid schedule.

Additionally, adding people to a product that is behind will just make it even further behind. People with core knowledge of the system will be stuck training new workers and the essential tasks on the critical path of the project will stall.

It was first written in 1975, but it's still highly relevant today.

36. shkar-noori

shkar-noori

+1

37. HonoraryBob

HonoraryBob

I think they were saying it would be released this summer.... which would mean by next month, presumably (or whenever summer ends in Denmark...?). But their plans may have changed.
    "Real Soon Now", in other words.

38. Teo

Teo

They also said new GUI will come in spring... however, I think Unity 5.0 will be out in August.

shkar-noori likes this.
  39. shkar-noori

shkar-noori

I personally dont think so.

40. Archania

Archania

They changed that date to summer right after they posted it. A little miscommunication there on spring/summer for 4.6.
    Hopefully announce at unite.
    Then for Christmas 5!

Patrick234 and shkar-noori like this.
  41. tswalk

tswalk

I would NOT want to be in that house... no thanks!

42. chingwa

chingwa

BRING IT ON! :D

43. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

I hope that with the 64 bit editor, I will not have issues with crashing when I import a huge texture :)

Paddington_Bear likes this.
  44. Archania

Archania

Well stop Neptune_Imaging trying to bring in your massively huge texture files! Geee.... 8K textures are a bit much :)

45. Murgilod

Murgilod

I wish we could easily use 8k textures. Right now I'm trying to work in a system where I can use an ultra high resolution model of the earth since there's no decent virtual texturing options that'll work with custom shaders.

46. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

The final textures are 4k

47. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

If you really need that 8K at all costs ... can't you split up your model into 4 UV spaces or model parts?

48. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

I was thinking about that too... but I also use Substance Designer to generate some of my effects on the characters, such as turning a man into gold, so I need everything in one UV and it will limit the number of textures that I have to load up. 4k holds up EXTREMELY well in Unity, especially in close up shots. I author my textures in 8k. You just gave me an idea too... in a 4k texture, each square is 2k :) problem solved.

49. Murgilod

Murgilod

Not without completely breaking a lot of my shaders and having to rewrite everything. At this point it's probably more reasonable for me to write and implement an entire virtual texturing solution,

KRGraphics likes this.
  50. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

In my project, it will get more complex as I have to deal with procedural dismemberment (hopefully I can find someone who can help with programming). And keeping everything one UV is important