Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity 5 release date?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PROTOFACTOR_Inc, Mar 20, 2014.

1. Devil_Inside

Devil_Inside

What is there to discuss? Go read those other threads where people discuss the same sh*t over and over again. You'll be sick of this topic too.

2. nestg

nestg

if you note this is the page number 18 about talking over and over of the same, the date of the release of Unity 5, and my comment refer to the thread, in resume the "possibility" that i remember again and again if occurs is almost secure that change dates and roadmap of Unity 5.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2014
  3. Devil_Inside

Devil_Inside

How is your comment about Unity selling out to MS in any way related to Unity 5 release date?

I'll edit my comment too.. If aliens attack Earth, it will probably also delay Unity 5 release. Let's discuss Alien Invasion!

shkar-noori likes this.
  4. nestg

nestg

be carefull, i have 3 alerts in my account for talk about MS and UT, talk about aliens here is very dangerous.

Jaqal and Devil_Inside like this.
  5. shkar-noori

shkar-noori

I've been waiting for this all of my life,

and for unity 5 release date, I'm guessing from the current beta it may take more than 3 other months to actually get into RC.

Devil_Inside likes this.
  6. zenGarden

zenGarden

Until it is not written in big bold letters on Unity front page , no Unity is not selling to MS or any other.
    Some people have problems to stay in phase with reality :p

Could Unity communicate some more precise approximative date for UT5 release now ?
    It will be almost a year it is announced in some months, i think even with bugs to correct you can have some aprpoximative estimation period to communicate to all users.

7. thedreamer

thedreamer

so... we still do not know the release date???

8. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

When the bugs are sorted I guess, still issues, so rather we get 4.6 out the door and full team work on 5.0beta

9. zenGarden

zenGarden

No communication for estimated period , it smells 2015 Q1 :(

10. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

Back on topic, still no release date.

11. Andy-Touch

Andy-Touch

A Moon Shaped Bool Unity Legend

When It Is Ready™

p87 likes this.
  12. ibnesina

ibnesina

When its going to be release ?
    2015 ?

jeckblack likes this.
  13. jeckblack

jeckblack

i guess so...

14. orb

orb

There's a month left of the year, and less than that of effective work time. With the current state of the editor there's probably more than a month's work left to do ;)

ibnesina likes this.
  15. zenGarden

zenGarden

And around christmas and January many people take vacations, also this is never a good period time to deliver new software versions , you can expect Feb 2015 or specially March that is a strategic month for many things.

16. daisySa

daisySa

You can pretty well guarantee it will be out by March because of GDC (March 2-6).

17. Zeblote

Zeblote

They will most likely have some new, cool stuff prepared for next gdc... not the same unity 5 as this year...

shkar-noori likes this.
  18. zenGarden

zenGarden

I think this will be the announcement of UT5 public and some price changing perhaps as new challengers (UE4, Crysis) have arrived.
    Also don't underestimate Crysis engine, it's not easy to use or community not as great as UE4 but some indies are making great games with it with grogeous graphics, it has regular updates and the expensive audio plugin will be optionnal with a new audio plugin coming.

Nevermind i'm not waiting UT5, and UT 4.6 Free is just great , you won't make next Batman with it :rolleyes:, but you have enought features to make some really good indie game :)

Last edited: Nov 25, 2014
  19. Zeblote

Zeblote

We can only hope...

20. zenGarden

zenGarden

I think it will really be for desktop as challengers can't be ignored when they offer full features and tools for 20$ or 10$ (For mobile i don't know ?)

Or Unity would keep its' pricing for desktop, but then people not able to put 1500$, seeking more features and tools will take the other solutions.
    KartSim game is a good example of indie games that used Unity then switched to UE4 saying it was lot more powerfull and complete engine.

UT5 will be great, but if pricing don't change, i'll do like today : UT Free for small games, UE4 for bigger team game.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2014
    AGregori likes this.
  21. Breyer

Breyer

Honestly i doubt if they will change anything until unity6 as they already stated that price remain same... actually we could only wait (im courious how long snice upgrade off gone and 4.6 is close to final so all power and steam will be put on u5 developing soon...) for free/pro split (some chance that some pro move to free), and fastest adding new featureset in future (unity already teases that they are working on cinematic tool, new terrain, revamp and move to open source land input system, unet and only god and ut know what else...)

22. zenGarden

zenGarden

Yes it's good direction i hope they'll add more things to open source , that will allow community to develop things faster and let Unity concentrate on others.

About pricing, they should abandon free version or make an intermediate version with no limitations and proposing royalties for example. Or change price of Pro subscription , it smells that it will be the big change in pricing.
    Im' not waiting UT5, version 4.6 has a lot already for anyone to make great small games ;)

shkar-noori likes this.
  23. Deleted User

Deleted User

I've ended the Unity subs.. We tried nearly every engine under the sun, weighed up the pro's and cons and finally settled. I'll keep my ears to the ground, it'll be interesting to see where John takes the company and if it ends up like Frostbite in the 5.X cycle my ears will quickly prick up and I'm sure I'll be back.

Love the community, great spirit and people. Very interesting subjects, time to get the game out the door!.

24. djary

djary

release date = 2017

25. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

After some of the bugs I encountered in the beta, I'm not surprised :p

But hey, the lighting effects were decent.

26. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

It's out now if you want to pay for it or sub, guys! ;)

27. LaneFox

LaneFox

It's actually pretty stable now...

28. Archania

Archania

It is getting there to be honest.

29. zelmund

zelmund

still no new water and no new terrain...

i think it will be MID 2015

shkar-noori likes this.
  30. LaneFox

LaneFox

AFAIK these are not on the list to update in 5.0

31. zenGarden

zenGarden

A big stopper if your game is terrain based.

I think also, between bugs, improvments, and features to bring up to UT5.

But that's better than rushing things and have a version with too much problems.

32. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Hardly; just buy something on the asset store. I'm going to say early 2015, Jan-Feb.

--Eric

33. Andy-Touch

Andy-Touch

Not really; In my experience, most Unity Devs who make games with terrain in them tend to author their terrain in a 3d modelling package (Maya, Blender, whatever) and then import it into Unity.

34. zenGarden

zenGarden

But they loose all benefits of real time feedback , and for multi texturing and placing objects , many times you will need adjustments to have buildings or statues to fit in some places. It's not possible to keep a good workflow if you need each time to adjust something to re export from Maya or Blender each time.
    Take a look at the tool used in World of Warcraft to see what i mean.

35. Andy-Touch

Andy-Touch

Yes, a new/updated Terrain Editor would be handy to have in Unity 5, but its not a major priority or focus in 5.0 release. Instead, the major priorities of updated things in the engine have gone to visuals, audio, 3D physics, 2D physics, webgl, animation and a whole bunch of other bits and pieces. :)

sqallpl likes this.
  36. chingwa

chingwa

If you have the tenacity... you can really wrangle the terrain system into a more suitable shape for a more relevant workflow. Most of it is open and accessible through (a lot of) coding. I've been thinking of tackling this for the asset store at some point, but... it is a big job. The best thing of course is to extend it for the specific project you're working toward.

37. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

Yeah, we have an entire separate thread for Terrain discussion. There are dedicated engineers working on the stuff people have brought up in that thread but "the new terrain system" will not be ready in time for 5.0.

What 5.0 does have is a) Speedtree integration - which I think is a big boost for the vegetation system - and b) PBR support for terrains (not shipped yet but should be in a future beta of 5.0).

shkar-noori and sqallpl like this.
  38. zenGarden

zenGarden

2D is priority because of the number of people using it on commercial projects ?

39. Andy-Touch

Andy-Touch

I don't understand the question?

40. zenGarden

zenGarden

Just 2D is priority over terrain because 2D Commercial projects can't be ignored ?

41. Andy-Touch

Andy-Touch

I still don't understand your question, but I will try and answer it. :)

Unity has a number of engine developers who work on everything from core engine things to integrated libraries (Such as Enlighten) to platform porting and so on and on... and all of them are working on various bits and pieces which are of ranging stages from research to prototyping to development to bug fixing to release to post-release bug fixing to user feedback to feature updates... you get the idea. The reason why there are new added components and updates for 2D in 5.0 is the fact that the demand was there for them and they are ready to be released in that particular version. The reason why a new Terrain System isn't in 5.0 is because our related engineers to the Terrain System don't have release-ready content yet. When there is release-ready update to a feature, it will be released (And there will be a whole bunch of blog posts, videos, images, in-editor presentations and other things in the lead up to it's release).

sqallpl likes this.
  42. shkar-noori

shkar-noori

Woohooo, finally...

43. zenGarden

zenGarden

ok cool :cool:

44. Murgilod

Murgilod

Yep.

I don't WANT to do this, but it's what I end up doing anyway.

45. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

I used it when 17 was unstable and 14 was recommended. I did transform.forward * Time.deltaTime and transform.forward * -100 for a controller move and both moved at the same speed and moved down-left-backwards. And that was on the stable 14. Are controllers being removed? I read that physics & rigid bodies specifically are getting huge improvements in unity 5.

They're secretly working with sixense so they can delay each other until 2017.

shkar-noori likes this.
  46. LaneFox

LaneFox

Sounds like a problem. Bug report, then commence burning of the computer in question.

hippocoder and superpig like this.
  47. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

Yes, a cleansing fire is called for I think.

hippocoder likes this.
  48. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

This computer is brand new D: I know iBuyPower screws up a lot in production, but I swear this 2nd replacement is fine!

49. goat

goat

asdfghkl;
    asdfghkl;
    asdfghkl;
    asdfghkl;
    asdfghkl;

50. Neoku

Neoku

Someone know if Unity 5 Free will be have Antialiasing?, I ask because is really annoying that a very basic (and very old effect) graphic resource as this cant be use in Unity Free, i not see the problem with that the free users can use antialiasing for that their games not look a low quality image, the other post effects would be continue as a Pro feature. Thanks.