Search Unity

Unity 5 release date?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PROTOFACTOR_Inc, Mar 20, 2014.

1. Pix10

Pix10

I haven't checked yet - only noticed CPU thread limiting in the previous notes, but does Enlighten support GPU processing (i.e. OpenCL)?

I'm guessing not for a 1st iteration, but it would be a nice touch, esp for those among us with 2nd compute cards.

2. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

is anybody getting the lightmap Color space wrong???

3. Zomby138

Zomby138

Yeah it's coming out in gamma space every time and there doesn't seem to be a setting for it. My tone mapping is broken at the moment anyway so I guess I'll cross that bridge when I get to it :p

4. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

General rule is: each time you see things like that, report a bug. This particular one is already fixed internally, I think.

5. Silly_Rollo

Silly_Rollo

So far two more bugs. Anytime I call Animator.Crossfade it just crashes with an Access Violation message. Not much I can do from there or try to run it down since its just a generic message. Changing bools or ints on an animator is fine and so is calling Animator.Play.

When I tried to lightmap a scene I get a ' Could not create lightmap snapshot asset at 'Assets/Scenes/TestMapScene/LightmapSnapshot.asset'. Failed to collect hash files!' so not sure what to do there either.

6. Silly_Rollo

Silly_Rollo

Do you mean just report it or put together an example scene and submit it? That's a non trivial amount of time to put together a repro if its just a waste of time because its already fixed. Making those internal trackers public would make a lot of sense.

7. Zomby138

Zomby138

@Aras What's the bug? The fact that there isn't a setting, or the fact that it's in gamma space at all? I'm still finding my feet, it's kinda hard for me to tell what's a bug and what's just me not understanding something.

8. Zomby138

Zomby138

I've had that a few times, along with some other errors while baking. I've just done Clear -> Bake and it's seems to fix it mostly *shrugs*.

9. TheRaider

TheRaider

That happened!

superpig likes this.
  10. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

is it already in beta 9 or future beta 10? (beta 10 isn't released yet right??)

11. Silly_Rollo

Silly_Rollo

You're right that worked. I didn't realize it had anything saved from the previous runs.

12. elbows

elbows

13. HeadClot88

HeadClot88

I really hope that there is no Free / Pro Licensing divide. I would rather pay 100 - 200 dollars for an Indie version of Unity3D with all the bells and whistles but only be limited to the amount of money that I can make per quarter till I have to upgrade to Pro.

Just my humble opinion...

14. TheRaider

TheRaider

I can't imagine that is being changed in a million years. Having a free version is the whole reason Unity has over half a million active users.

15. HeadClot88

HeadClot88

Guess I should clarify - I do not want free to go away. I would like the option to pay Unity Tech 100 Dollars or so for a version of unity that is not gimped like the free version is. I know that I wont be able to afford pro in a million years however I would like to be able to throw money at unity while still knowing that I am getting an decent product as well as support.

16. djweinbaum

djweinbaum

What makes you say that? Because that's when the pre-order discount ends?

shkar-noori likes this.
  17. peter_on

peter_on

Downloaded my pre-order beta 5.0.9b, that's customer service!

18. TheRaider

TheRaider

I am sure there is plenty of discussion about this at Unity. I am sure they have projected numbers for that would happen if they did that. To be fair free is an awesome product however I know there is a particular group willing to pay a smaller small but don't see themselves ever paying the full licence fee.

19. Aurecon_Unity

Aurecon_Unity

It probably doesn't mean much as we haven't really heard Unity discuss this option, but I'd more than happily fork out $100 - $150 for an 'indie' Pro license at home for projects that earn under a certain $$ threshold.

Ness and HeadClot88 like this.
  20. Ostwind

Ostwind

I would not call front page news and blog post a silent release :)

inafield likes this.
  21. Breyer

Breyer

i said this before unite and blog post :p and yes this WAS silent because they only published beta on page without any signal (no social media no forums etc.) ^^

22. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

No, they sent emails to preorder customers, published a blog post, and set up a Unity 5 beta forum.

--Eric

inafield likes this.
  23. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

While some people might not like that, I personally am glad this company isn't one of those <software name + year> kinda companies. Imagine...

Unity2013
    Unity2014
    Unity2015

I am glad they tell us what's going to be in the next big update, and then work on that update no matter how long it takes rather than have a pool of features they're working on and arbitrarily add and cut things to make the release deadline to have a fixed stream of revenue at our expense.

inafield and shkar-noori like this.
  24. zenGarden

zenGarden

Why not communicating to whole Unity users ? We should be aware things are starting or it is silenced because this comes very late ?

25. Breyer

Breyer

@Eric5h5

Maybe they sent email (i havent PRO so i havent notice this) but im sure when i posted my first post there wasnt any blog post (because i really often check blog) and beta forum wasnt visible yet

BTW who cares? ^^ xD this happen and we could only wait and see how this bandwagon behave and run....

shkar-noori likes this.
  26. elbows

elbows

There was no problem in the way Unity communicated about this.

All that happened to cause some temporary confusion is that somebody noticed google returning results for the 5 beta download page, and posted a link on this thread, quite a number of hours before the blog post, forum etc were done.

inafield likes this.
  27. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

As elbows noted it wasn't "silenced" in any way (also I just checked the main page and it's there too). Short of the CEO visiting your home to tell you personally that it's out, I'm honestly not sure what else you want.

--Eric

ImpossibleRobert and inafield like this.
  28. inafield

inafield

Geez, cut them slack for marketing and media. It's only available to pre-orders and subscribers, so what does a few hours or days matter? It's on FACEBOOK, their website's front page, they wrote a blog post and you can add their blog's RSS feed to your feedreader. :p http://blogs.unity3d.com/feed/

As Eric5h5 said, short of getting visited by the CEO, what more do you want?

29. SaraCecilia

SaraCecilia

Hi guys - so we wanted the landing page ready and live for when we announced that the pre-order beta was available for download during the Unite Aus keynote which took place on Sunday around midnight CET (our time here in Denmark.) Our web devs do need to have some time off during weekends, so they finished the pre-order beta landing page before the keynote actually took place ;)

Regarding channels that we used to announce that the beta was ready for pre-order customers/Pro subscribers: we chose to communicate through e-mails, Twitter, Facebook, blog, and open up a new dedicated forum on Monday around 9 am CET (Denmark time) so that we could be ready to handle all the support throughout the day.

People heard about the beta being available either during the Unite Aus keynote or randomly found the page some hours before we spread the news on our official channels (Google does pick up things quickly), but we have in no way silenced the beta release.

djweinbaum and inafield like this.
  30. Breyer

Breyer

blog is enough but as i said there wasnt blog post WHEN i sent my post - posted this before unite AUS either that why i said "silently" but if i would post after these events (blog, unite, facebook, twitter etc) i would never say this.....

31. zenGarden

zenGarden

What matters : It's official now.
    We just need to wait for the final full public release (It will take lot more time than pre order).

Breyer likes this.
  32. SpaceRay

SpaceRay

There is now some more news I got through email

Unity 5 Roadshow
    http://unity3d.com/events/roadshow

Whether you’re new to Unity or already an expert, come join our evangelists, Carl Callewaert, Mark Schoennagel, and Jay Santos as they travel around the Americas showing you what’s new in Unity 5

Also I have seen in the blog

Improving the Unity 5 documentation based on your feedback
    http://blogs.unity3d.com/2014/11/12/improving-the-unity-5-documentation-based-on-your-feedback/

Yes, I agree that what matters that finally the beta is official, and now we have to wait until all the bugs are fixed and the beta can reach the release candidate for the final public release

I wonder if this wait could be until the end of December, January or possibly February?

Maybe and probably the time it will take will totally depend on how many bugs and problems needs to be fixed and it will not be released until it really sure that is reliable and stable, so it can be any time.

I do not know also how big is the Unity team of developers that is working on this Unity 5 version

Last edited: Nov 14, 2014
    HeadClot88 likes this.
  33. Gooseman_1977

Gooseman_1977

I sometimes have that fear it will be like this now that a former EA employee has been appointed the CEO..
    /me looks at EA sports titles and cringes..

34. Andy-Touch

Andy-Touch

A Moon Shaped Bool Unity Legend

Every single employee at Unity (And any company, as a matter of fact) has been a former something. This does not mean that they would be taking elements of former jobs into their next. For example; when I was in school, I used to cut up and package various types of cheese to be sold at a Supermarket, as an evening part-time job. That doesn't mean that I now hand-out Stilton whenever I teach someone how to use Mecanim or the new UI system.

superpig likes this.
  35. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Well...you should!

--Eric

Trigve, superpig and shkar-noori like this.
  36. Nubz

Nubz

Free cheese with every lesson might be nice though.

37. Archania

Archania

So with every purchase of Unity you get cheese? Cause that would be so awesome!!!!

38. Andy-Touch

Andy-Touch

A Moon Shaped Bool Unity Legend

Goddam, it would actually be pretty cool to hand out cheese when doing a workshop. Or could Unity be distributed via disc, packaged with a t-shirt, stickers and Roquefort?

Im hungry now.

39. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

The workshops at NJIT usually have pizza. And then ACM takes all of the leftovers. FREE FOOD!

40. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

This is getting off topic don't you think?

Tomnnn and MrEsquire like this.
  41. HeadClot88

HeadClot88

Yeah I think so...

42. Archania

Archania

Njit... Might be worth going there since I'm alumni.

43. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

I liked your post because I agree, and I like when it happens.

44. nestg

nestg

Many Unity 5 Roadshows are sponsored by Microsoft, personally think that MS will be try buy Unity because XNA is dissapearing.

45. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

They already said they're not selling; please don't start that again.

--Eric

Aurore likes this.
  46. zenGarden

zenGarden

Like any software you can have multiple partners and big ones :)
    They stated it clearly they don't want to sell Unity; so it is no need to start spreading again the rumor, it's useless and a waste of time for everybody.

It is some good infos we could have about UT5 free features or general UT5 things before release :) ?

HeadClot88 likes this.
  47. HeadClot88

HeadClot88

I personally just want some of the pro features to be more accessible.

shkar-noori likes this.
  48. nestg

nestg

many similar rumors end in a fact after that companies say that will be not sale, I not understand the problem with touch this possibility and why UT manage this case as a taboo, MS is a good company that days ago free visual studio, the real problem would be if none company like offer to try buy Unity.

49. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

It's not 'taboo,' we're just sick of talking about it. There were like 8 threads on it. Dig up one of those if you really want to continue the discussion. But at this point, while you can say 'well maybe they'll still sell anyway!' it's no more likely than it was on any other day - indeed it's less likely after the co-founder has said they're not going to do it - so why point out the possibility?

50. nestg

nestg

If you sick talking about this in a forum is better that talk about other things, this is a gossip forum and is create for these, for talk, but well, take the easy way and please erase my comments.