Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity 5 release date?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PROTOFACTOR_Inc, Mar 20, 2014.

1. Ayrik

Ayrik

Besides all that. 4.6 is just 4.5 with uGUI (for the most part). And 4.5 is already out there!

2. Whippets

Whippets

uGUI is pretty good. Can we have 5.0bxx now please?

chiapet1021 and ronjart like this.
  3. duke

duke

Remember when they said pre-orders would get in on the beta? That was a good one.

Metron, Fuzzy and carking1996 like this.
  4. Whippets

Whippets

I'm sure we will, once the beta is in a stable enough state to be handed out to a wider audience. Think how much trolling, QQing, and hate there would be if Unity gave us a very buggy/crashy beta.

5. duke

duke

People willing to put down the cash for a pre-order should have the maturity to know what a beta is, and it would be highly arrogant of Unity to assume they don't. The point is that it was one of the advantages of making a pre-order. From what we are hearing it's in a reasonable state for a beta, so where are the goods?

Ryiah and Metron like this.
  6. Lypheus

Lypheus

Seriously people, don't we have games to get done here?

hippocoder, infinitypbr and Whippets like this.
  7. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

Lol......:D

8. Whippets

Whippets

Heh, yep, we do... but we'd also like to get our hands on 5 beta XD

9. Zeblote

Zeblote

Yes, with unity 5.

10. Tomza

Tomza

I lost the content of a script file when I was using Unity 4.6 Beta (I don't remember which beta; the one earlier to 20 and 21). Fortunately, I had a similar file, so I copied and made some changes. So don't trust beta versions too much. I was amazed because the file content was in separate software (I use Notepad++ because it works much faster than Mono Develop). I have never experienced something like that before. I use Unity 4.6 Beta 21 now and going into Play mode is really slow. Unity uses 2.6 or 2.7 GB when going into Play Mode. I uses Windows 8 64 bit. On Windows 7 32 bit Unity works well. So I don't know if this is a bug in Unity Beta or some problem with my system.

11. jcarpay

jcarpay

Having so many beta revisions isn't necessarily an indication of stability or production readiness.
    Again, there is a reason it's tagged as a beta release...

12. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

"It's quite stable" is my experience. Historically, there have indeed been games published with Unity beta versions, and this isn't different.

--Eric

13. zenGarden

zenGarden

I think people asking UT5 are people that want to play with PBR shaders mainly, appart from that your game core mechanics is not dependent on Unity version.
    You could start today some UT5 game making assets, characters using diffuse texture and shader and simple lightening.
    The PBR shader stage and lightening could be the things to deal later once UT5 is out.
    I would say you should just pay 20$ to play with UE4 shaders and lightening, once you'll see you'll not make a game faster and in a more easy way than Unity , then you will come back using UT 4.6 and will find UT5 is mainly new graphics only not totally new engine :)

14. WalkingDead

WalkingDead

so how will the graphics in Unity 5 free stack up to UE4?

My main problem with UE4 is system requirements. Unity Free however has horrible lighting effects on the lines of 1998 or something maybe 2001 if you are very lucky.

I am between a rock and a hard place.

I have Pentium G3220 with 4GB RAM and HD 4870 video card. Wonder if I could create 2D side scroller platform games in UE4 without issues? also thinking of porting to android.

15. Deleted User

Deleted User

Using UE4 to make a 2D side scroller is like taking a chainsaw covered in flames to tackle a piece of soft chicken.. Games are difficult, the engine at this moment is the least of your worries.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2014
    Ryiah and BrUnO-XaVIeR like this.
  16. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Indeed, in fact it has been a area of concern for us. 21 releases since beta, and not final yet gives the impression that it wasn't ready for beta in the first place.

jcarpay likes this.
  17. Cygon4

Cygon4

Look at what my Google found today: http://unity3d.com/unity/beta/5.0

I'm surprised nobody from UT has announced it in this thread yet, but I'm very excited to finally play with the new lighting system to figure out what changes are required to my game's assets :)

Ryiah, Reanimate_L, Hikiko66 and 2 others like this.
  18. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

Awesome! Nice find. I'm really surprised this wasn't announced. Or Google has found something that wasn't supposed to be public yet again ;)
    Either way .... downloading. :D

19. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Professionally, most studios (I am aware of) won't integrate (third party) beta software into a project. We certainly won't. Beta means "nope". (except for evaluating). Regardless of the state of it, if the producer of the product is not confident enough to call it final yet, I am not confident enough to use it for anything critical.
    Besides, as a wise man once said:
    ;)

20. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

A beta is existing and not an announcement, though. ;)

shkar-noori likes this.
  21. Shbli

Shbli

I got a question regarding the beta

Does it support the new iOS Metal graphics APIs?

Anyways, I'm downloading it now and if all is going good then I'll use it for my project ... maybe by the time I'm done, it's fully released then

22. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

Damn . . . Sneaky.............
    meh...downloading :D

23. Shbli

Shbli

According to this page:

http://unity3d.com/unity/beta/5.0/release-notes

Seems that unity3D 5 does make use of "Metal" new graphics APIs

24. 121

Unity 5 is just not ready yet. You can't rush these things guys.

Deleted User likes this.
  25. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

Yep. That last scene felt just like the first time I booted up Unity5 Beta just now ;)

26. Cygon4

Cygon4

If you're just posting for fun, don't mind this post ;)

But I for one am perfectly happy with this beta. I get to see how the new lighting looks, I now know that I have to switch from greyscale specular textures to rgba (rgb for reflected light color, a for shininess) and I see that HTML5 requires some care with memory use and scene size. Playing with light/reflection probes and sky illumination is also interesting. And it will help me figure out how custom shaders in the new lighting system work. And...

In short, I'm pretty happy with this peek at the future. I'll wait with bug reports until the beta gets announced officially, but so far nothing bad has happened!

27. aiab_animech

aiab_animech

Strange. I am a preorder customer but it says to me that the download is only available to preorder customers. Checking my license it says 5.0 pro. What to do?

28. shkar-noori

shkar-noori

I guess Unity 5 will be released in 13th Nov.

29. Metron

Metron

There should be a download link on the page (http://unity3d.com/unity/beta/5.0) a little bit further down. The license key is on your shop profile page (where you see the licenses you own).

30. eskovas

eskovas

I'm guessing Unity will be making an official announcement for the Beta tomorrow :p
    Hoping it's as stable as 4.6 beta :)

31. aiab_animech

aiab_animech

I see where it should be one, but it says "preorder to get access..." Instead. Any moderator here to comment?

32. Ricks

Ricks

How long does it usually take from preorder beta to public beta?

33. zenGarden

zenGarden

Will it be some public roadmap after UT5 is out ?
    I think Unity have already made choices for UT5 so why they don't communicate some more ?
    - features Pro Vs Free versions
    - estimated public release (one more month ? two more ? or more ? )
    Could the announcement of features disappoint some Free users targetting last graphics techs (pbs, lightening) ? and make them go UE4 ? No insight on these points ?

34. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

Should this be used with the old MonoDevelop 4.0.1?
    I thought i have seen or heared something about MonoDevelop 5 but can not find the download link and the beta comes with the 4 version wich still chrashed for me (i started a thread in general about this).
    Do you have a download link for a working MonoDevelop 5 for Unity 5?

35. Deleted User

Deleted User

I'd really be interested in peoples opinion on Enlighten..

36. Zomby138

Zomby138

@ShadowK So far I'm kinda struggling with the settings to be honest. Isn't there meant to be a way to get it to adjust your directional light based on your skybox? If that feature exists, I can't find it.

Really hate the way the reflection probe box has to be aligned with the cardinal world axes. I would like to be able to have diagonal rooms and corridors!

37. Zeblote

Zeblote

Very nice! Now people don't have to wait for strangers to upload leaked betas anymore...

kenshin likes this.
  38. Deleted User

Deleted User

You talking about the skybox ambient functionality? Directional light is still just a directional light, go to the scene render settings and underneath the enviro settings you can adjust the skybox ambient lighting.

In Lightmapping section, under global I have the GI set up to iterative. You can select per light how you want GI to be used, I have my directional set to dynamic GI underneath the lightmapping option.

39. Zomby138

Zomby138

@ShadowK Nah I guess I just heard a rumor that you could get it to detect where the sun is in your cubemap so you don't have to angle it yourself. I guess that's not the case.

Anyway, I've been able to get everything working pretty much as I expected it would in new scenes, but not in any of my old scenes. For some reason in my old scenes my directional light won't cast any shadows on static objects (it's set to dynamic GI). I've tried all the options... I dunno, it's weird. I guess I can just move all my stuff over to new scenes *shrugs*.

Also I'm glad to report that RNMs are still in for the baked portion of the lightmap :) I was worried they were gone as I hadn't heard anyone mentioned them.

40. Deleted User

Deleted User

Yeah I'd not heard about that, tell me how you get along. I need to upgrade to latest beta version, I'm rocking quite and old one..

Let me know how you get on, I'm very interested in peoples opinions of it.. I will say they could of done with adding RLR instead of baked only reflections..

41. Zomby138

Zomby138

Alright I have a much better understanding of my disappearing directional light shadows now. It has nothing to do with a scene being new or imported from U4.

If I have anything baked onto an actual baked lightmap, the real time directional light shadows do not land on static geometry. If I get rid of all "Static GI" lights, and make sure the Environment section is set to dynamic (so it doesn't get baked), then the shadows reappear.

Point light shadows survive intact for some reason.

The reason I got it in my old scenes is I had a bunch of lights set to "baked only", these have become "Static GI" it seems.

I'd be interested to know if this worked in older version of the beta, or if it's a new problem.

Edit: Actually it looks like it only happens in Legacy deferred. Seems alright in new deferred.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2014
  42. Hikiko66

Hikiko66

Last edited: Oct 26, 2014
  43. Breyer

Breyer

Since they released unity5 beta for pro silently i wonder how soon they post free/pro features split blog... I think this will be very interesting and important to many of us ;)

44. Deleted User

Deleted User

Do you have a pro license?

45. Hikiko66

Hikiko66

Yep. Only gives access to the latest UT5 beta though.

46. Aurecon_Unity

Aurecon_Unity

Super stoked to get my hands on the beta, but man... it is crashing all the time! I'm getting used to saving before I do practically anything...

Still though, looks very promising indeed. Out of the box graphics are much improved thanks to the new sky settings, cubemaps and materials. Can't wait to get my hands dirty!

47. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

FWIW, my guess is that they're planning to officially announce the beta at Unite Australia tomorrow. Maybe we'll hear more about the free/pro thing then.

48. Silly_Rollo

Silly_Rollo

Did they make a weird change to shadows in Unity 5? I have a point light with shadows next to a wall. In the scene view it lights the wall. In the camera view / in game it produces no light. If I set Shadow Type to None it once again produces light on the wall. Nothing is blocking the light it is an empty scene with a wall, a light, and a camera with no image effects. Camera set to deferred.

edit: figured it out. Culling set to on culls all my lights for whatever reason.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2014
  49. Velo222

Velo222

Got the beta, and I'm loving it :) Lighting and shaders straight out of the box are much better. For some reason I'm not getting shadows though, and the lighting constantly re-bakes/calculates anytime I do pretty much anything. Why I'm not seeing shadows baffles me right now though. I see shadows briefly while the lighting re-calculates, but after it's done calculating they aren't there lol.

Also, when trying to upgrade a Unity 4.x project to 5.0 beta, while Unity 5.0 beta is trying to import assets I get a "Runtime Error! Program: Unity.exe file path... R6025 - pure virtual function call" error!

So, currently I cannot upgrade my 4.x project to 5.0 beta :( But I'm having fun with a brand new project right now.

50. Deleted User

Deleted User

Try switching to deferred, not deferred legacy.. I've had no issues with shadows in mine, then again I'm on an older version..

Yeah Enlighten really does take it's sweet time.