Search Unity

Unity 5 release date?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PROTOFACTOR_Inc, Mar 20, 2014.

1. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

I believe that's more or less what they do, yes. I don't know whether it's a cubemap or what, but the skybox is fed into Enlighten somehow.

They're the same thing, just exposed in two places.

I believe - though I've not played with it in depth - that setting the environment to 'dynamic' will cause Enlighten to respond to changes in the skybox during runtime. If you don't have it turned on then it captures the input at initial setup and keeps it - for many games, that don't have dynamic skyboxes, this will be more efficient.

sqallpl likes this.
  2. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

Possibly, but still updating cubemap in realtime is expensive. The best way to get cubemap that can change with the time of day are using multiple prebaked cubemap and blend them between the predefined time of day, that's how ubisoft did in assasins creed black flag.

3. sqallpl

sqallpl

Let's say that we have a pitch black room with no light sources inside and we put a specular and shiny metallic sphere inside with a reflection map input of bright and daily sky.

In this case the mesh is not lighten by any light but the shader still has a reflection map input.
    Will the reflection (and the spehere) be visible? Or maybe it needs some light source anyway to make the reflection visible?

Generally is the lighting connected with the power/strength/visibility of the reflection on shiny surfaces? Or is it independent?

If it's completely independent, everything that is placed in some darker places will need a proper reflection maps baked (let's say that you have a bright skybox as a main input) so it won't look weird and out of a place.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
  4. jmatthews

jmatthews

The answer is, "it depends".

Using IBL of a sphere in a dark room, but the reflective sphere is using a bright skybox then it will be lit according to the input of said skybox.

To overcome this you'd usually use a box projection shader linked to a probe with the correct lighting. Or in the ubershader approach, replace the IBL from the skybox with IBL from the nearest appropriate probe.

sqallpl likes this.
  5. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Blurred cubemap.

shkar-noori likes this.
  6. sqallpl

sqallpl

So for places like caves, basement etc. where there is usually always same lighting it will be easy to bake one map but for exteriors and interiors (like houses where there are windows and doors etc.) with dynamic TOD/weather a set of prebaked cubemaps or some 'real time/from time to time' baking would be required. Otherwise reflections would be weird and noticeable.

You don't want your piece of steel to reflect blue, clear sky if it's placed in dark room in the evening ;)

7. superpig

superpig

Well, yeah; if you put a reflective object in a place where it's reflecting a dynamic environment (be that a skybox or otherwise) and you don't update the reflection as things change then you're going to get inconsistencies.

Periodic/background updates will often be enough, for sure. And many objects, while reflective, aren't smooth and so aren't mirror-like - thus if you're moving your clouds about a bit but not really changing the average color/brightness of the sky then players may not be able to notice.

sqallpl likes this.
  8. sqallpl

sqallpl

What about reflective objects with new standard shader and point/spot light sources? Are they reflecting the light dynamically accordingly to the direction/range/intesntisty and input color of the light (same as old shaders) additionally to the cubemap reflection?

I'm asking about the case where there is a prebaked cubemap of let's say dark cave with some shiny crystals and we have a dynamic torch that's moving (pointlight) there. Will this work fine and 'nice' together?

9. StarManta

StarManta

If my understanding of PBR is correct, it would have to include that light in its 'reflection' - otherwise the light basically wouldn't be a light at all, because the diffuse and reflective bits of the PBR shader all use the same math.

sqallpl likes this.
  10. Devil_Inside

Devil_Inside

I'm pretty sure it'll work. But you won't see the actual reflection of the torch, but rather a specular highlight from its point light.
    As far as I understand, all reflection probes are pre-baked, as currently there's no built-in support for real-time reflection probes. This doesn't mean the materials won't work with dynamic lights. It just means that the materials won't reflect the real environment when it changes.

sqallpl likes this.
  11. sqallpl

sqallpl

That's what I was thinking about, just a specular highlight from the light source (same as at Unite presentation, when the directional light was reflected), not an actual 'true' reflection. The term 'specular highlight' was used in the keynote presentation.

shkar-noori likes this.
  12. sqallpl

sqallpl

13. shkar-noori

shkar-noori

Will there be any updates to the Image effects in Unity 5.0?

GibTreaty likes this.
  14. kurylo3d

kurylo3d

Curious about the release date for the beta for preorder people. I preordered my copy a while and desperately want to show a client something in webgl.

15. eskovas

eskovas

JohnParask and shkar-noori like this.
  16. shkar-noori

shkar-noori

Can anyone from unity confirm any updates to the post-processing effects aka Image Effects?

17. Marek_Bakalarczuk

Marek_Bakalarczuk

Come on!!! Give us version 5 or compile 64 bit. I'm starting to pay penalties to publisher!!! 75$ per month for what???!!!

18. Zomby138

Zomby138

3 weeks ago they said it would be 4 to 8 weeks till the beta is opened up to people who preordered.

19. shkar-noori

shkar-noori

that means, for the pre-order beta we have to wait for something like 2-3 weeks, but i really hope is has more features and fixes than it has in Unity5.0b1

20. Paddington_Bear

Paddington_Bear

Not as far as I've noticed.

shkar-noori likes this.
  21. Marek_Bakalarczuk

Marek_Bakalarczuk

Great. Nice features, but what with those, who wasting money with 4.x version?
    I need to give back my publisher $30k because of timeout.
    I cannot finish game without 64bit version... Great tool! Thanks Unity!!!
    I'm bankrupt... Starting to learn Unreal Engine...

22. kurylo3d

kurylo3d

If your bankrupt then its time to get a full time job and move out of your parents basement... lol

shkar-noori likes this.
  23. Piers909

Piers909

#rekt

24. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

Seriously, why do you even give promise for 64bit version when you still using unity4...:/

shkar-noori likes this.
  25. Marek_Bakalarczuk

Marek_Bakalarczuk

You think it is funny to give money back? Give me those $30k. Let's see is it funny for you. If you got nothong to say just stay quiet.

I've made a promise, but show me publisher who will wait until when? Game publisher want to sell games, make money. He doesn't care about developer problems.

26. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

I know it's always easy to talk after the fact but you really should not have made promises to 64 Bit if you did not have any binding - preferrably written - assurance that 64Bit will be made available to you by a specific time. Never promise things that are out of your reach. Ever. Sorry to hear it went badly for you. Just please don't asume Unreal will fix all these things magically. And please don't make promises on unrealeased unreal Features, either. They are just only as much an engine manufacturer as unity is.

Aurore likes this.
  27. Ricks

Ricks

If you promise something, you must be able to achieve it with the features you have right at hand. Not features which are "announced", "possible", "upcoming". You can't promise something non-existent. That said, I wonder if you really need 64 bit to achieve your goal right now, or can workaround it...

melkior and Aurore like this.
  28. Marek_Bakalarczuk

Marek_Bakalarczuk

Everything went wrong with game, starting with irresponsible 3d modeler.
    We're going on forward anyway. I've changed today a 3d guy.
    New one is optimizing models.

29. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

Two post above you basically already explaining why you shouldn't give a promise on an "Announced/Unreleased" stuff especially if you don't have any control of it, it's really a bad idea.
    sorry to hear what happen to you, and it's great that you've moving forward.

30. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Welcome to the real world, I been scammed before on Unity forums by developers, modelers etc problem with Freelancing over the internet. You learn from mistakes, there is no trust..

Why are you in this business if you cannot take the risk, don't you understand this industry and how many people trying to become rich over night with games and does not work out for most.

In terms of Unity 5, I would not publish any games using beta versions if this is what some of your posts are about as right now your not making any sense.

In general if you bought Unity 4 license then I trust that my game will make enough money for Unity 5 license funding. This is part of investment and in turn to carry on making games and get better returns

31. kurylo3d

kurylo3d

Stop trying to blame other people for you losing money. Your the onle who made promises you could not deliver. You make the mistakes. Live with em. Only thing unity cost you was a small monthly fee that you decided to buy for unity 4 since unity 5 isnt out. Your a fool. In fact let me know who your client is and ill gladly take the burden off your hands. For 30k I will gladly make it work without the 64bit.

Maybe your the one who should stay quiet. The more you speak the more ignorant and self absorbed you sound.

32. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

Alright everyone chill, I think the point has been put across no need to get insulty

33. Archania

Archania

Blaming an engine for your own failure is insulting. You don't blame a car for an accident, the driver is the blame. He made a bad business decision. Simple. But to blame others is not professional nor taking into account your own limits. Never promise what you at the moment can't deliver.
    Live and learn.

34. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

I know, I just don't want the pitchforks to come out against one person is all, let's stay on topic.

hopeful likes this.
  35. Archania

Archania

This isn't the medieval times anymore.. we got bats and hockey sticks ;)

Last edited: Sep 23, 2014
    Teila, Aurore and MrEsquire like this.
  36. kurylo3d

kurylo3d

Do you guys have a way to blend between probes cubemaps yet like that game remember me? With weights per cube map and all that? Based on location...

http://www.fxguide.com/featured/game-environments-parta-remember-me-rendering/

Scroll down to the section passed the middle of the page titled "Reflection System"

Would be kind of lame if poof the cubemap changes instantly... plus this method also would remove cubemap seems from room to room.

shkar-noori and Zomby138 like this.
  37. Zomby138

Zomby138

I've played Remember Me. I was very impressed by their reflections. I really hope the unity reflection probes one day come close to what they've done.

kurylo3d likes this.
  38. Bradamante

Bradamante

Do the moderators know that?

39. kurylo3d

kurylo3d

Such an old game too. Would be a pity if unity releases there stuff and its nothing more then a tech demo for 1 room... so they can say they have this feature... even if it is half assed...

Last edited: Sep 23, 2014
    shkar-noori and Zomby138 like this.
  40. andy_watson00

andy_watson00

Hey can anyone tell me if you can build for PSM in the current Unity 5 Beta or if it will be available in the pre order beta? There was not a PSM release of 4.5/4.6 because they wanted to focus on 5 so would be good to know if its in there.

41. Deleted User

Deleted User

Well I can't disagree, you have to know what you're dealing with. If a 64-bit editor was required, then use an engine with one. Playing devils advocate with myself, neither should a flagship product lack fundamental core features..

Oh on another note, where is this roadmap? Seems to have fallen into a pit, out of all the feedback collected on the forums exactly what is happening with it?

Don't dig a hole before Unity 5.X gets released.

Marble and shkar-noori like this.
  42. shkar-noori

shkar-noori

10+ for the roadmap, I appreciate the blogs about the features but the roadmap that you're talking about is different i guess.

my only concern for Unity 5 is the reflections, I have a feeling that we can't have beautiful reflections or full scene dynamic reflections, but i hope I'm wrong

43. jcarpay

jcarpay

44. Archania

Archania

Really?
    Does everything has to be an argument? Just can't take it and run with it?
    Swear the amount of energy most of you people waste arguing and fighting on this forum could be used so much better.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2014
    Teila and Whippets like this.
  45. Deleted User

Deleted User

Of course not, it's a waste of time. But I think out of common courtesy people should try and look at both sides of the fence not stick like glue to their own opinions.

If that doesn't work, carry on :D...

P.S Yay Unity 5 LOL!

46. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

Dayuum....another start of an argument.... meh....:/
    i'll going with @Archania and @ShadowK , really a waste of time...
    carry on....:D

Deleted User likes this.
  47. zenGarden

zenGarden

Oh yes, time invested in making than useless post fighting.

We use UE4 on a desktop game prototype, and will consider UT5 for other prototype game once it will be out, until we have UT5 in our hands , it's useless to speculate or ask for it.
    It will be a great tool that's sure :)

About UT5 and free version will it have deferred rendering ? (could be good for some stuff to have deferred)

Last edited: Sep 28, 2014
  48. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I'm not much of a fan of deferred rendering in terms of performance. It's not always the best thing since sliced bread.

Cogent likes this.
  49. zenGarden

zenGarden

Yep shaders rendering is not affected by deferred or forward.
    Thanks for the input Hippocoder.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2014
  50. superpig

superpig

I think they've not decided the free/pro feature split when it comes to thinks like deferred. Considering how well deferred and PBR go together though, I think it would probably make sense for them to at least put out some form of it in Free. But, we'll see.

Note that the deferred in 5 is different to the deferred in 4 - it no longer requires two entire passes through visible geometry, meaning that the cost of Forward vs Deferred is changed.

Baldinoboy and Deleted User like this.