Search Unity

Unity 5 release date?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PROTOFACTOR_Inc, Mar 20, 2014.

1. Zomby138

Zomby138

This thread's been way off the original topic for ages.

One idea for your "destroy the wall then the light comes in" situation might be to only turn the light on when the wall gets destroyed / door gets opened. It's a little restricted because you could only have one such openable orifice per situation (assuming the same light would come through each window or something).

I feel like selectively disabling lights is the answer to your problem.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2014
  2. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

At "some point in the future?" Almost certainly - I'm pretty confident we'll all see it by 2054...

I'm not on the dev team, and I've got limited experience with Enlighten, but from what I know of it I'll be surprised if we see 'fully dynamic scene' GI support at any point in 5.X - it seems to me like there's always going to be some cases with that which pretty much require rebaking the scene, which isn't a realtime operation. What I might find more credible is two particular cases people have talked about:
    • Turning on/off light transmission/bounce through/off 'portals' (both things like doorways, and things like blowing a hole in a wall)
    • Constructing a scene from 'partially' baked prefabs, then finalizing them, at level load
    From what I know of the tech, it seems more plausible that the dev team might be able to solve those cases in 5.X. But, I'm just guessing here.

3. Carpe-Denius

Carpe-Denius

- good to hear that somebody is working on specular convolution, even if its post 5.0
    - I reeeeaaaally like the new rendering quality.
    - screenspace reflections with reflection probes as fallback would be nice, especially for wet streets, those surfaces are almost always very flat and you can see in the demo video with the single viking house, that the reflection on the floor is (understandably) a little bit off

4. Zeblote

Zeblote

Oh, sorry, I didn't really mean "fully dynamic". I meant it more like the second scenario you mentioned, all objects would be spawned from prefabs (maybe some script generated geometry too) at level load and then not move anymore, so you could run the bake step after. If that takes too long it would annoy players though, so maybe one could also run the bake step when a player publishes his level from the level editor, and then package the enlighten data in the custom level file. So after spawning the prefabs you could load the enlighten data quickly (I have no idea how large enlighten data is, maybe this isn't reasonable if it's a couple hundred MB).

I'm probably a very specific niche case because noone else has in-game level editors anymore, but it would still be very awesome if it is possible.

5. Dabeh

Dabeh

This in a separate thread would be awesome. Instant results are not as important as being able to have refresh(lack of a better term) the static scene geometry with a callback when it's done. An awesome use-case for something like this would be a game similar to The Sims in the building portion.

6. orb

orb

That sort of thing would be great, but it would require more parts of the editor-side Enlighten engine in the player, which UT might not have a licence for.

7. shkar-noori

shkar-noori

I dont know why would realtime GI make sense if we couldn't move our geometry around? it will be only used for light changes, what about moving characters?

8. Stormbreaker

Stormbreaker

From what I understand dynamic objects can receive indirect illumination but not contribute towards it. The dynamic part comes from being able to move the lights around. A fully dynamic GI solution isn't viable yet, hence why Enlighten has these limitations to maintain performance.

shkar-noori likes this.
  9. Zomby138

Zomby138

Characters will pick up the light from probes, as always.

shkar-noori likes this.
  10. shkar-noori

shkar-noori

That's enough for me, I that that they won't even recieve the GI. but now it seems it will be alright

11. sqallpl

sqallpl

One more question about the Englihten.

Is the light generated by the ambient settings from the skybox texture computed by the GI?
    Even if there is no sun in the skybox texture, just some sky and clouds, can we enable GI for it?
    I was trying to see that from the keynote presentation but I'm not sure.

12. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

I believe the skybox itself is indeed fed to Enlighten as an input, yes.

sqallpl likes this.
  13. macdude2

macdude2

Computing enlighten gi on the fly would be insanely awesome, however, I'm wondering how much extra code would need to be added to the binary to get this to work. I feel there must be more code than there was to power beast and they never let us generate lightmaps from runtime using beast. Kinda doubt things would suddenly change with this new system.

14. sqallpl

sqallpl

I'm watching the Advanced Lighting Effects with Global Illumination video from Unite now and it looks like you are totally right! Great feature.

15. Zeblote

Zeblote

Things already changed to a new system, so why not make it awesome by allowing baking (and exporting hopefully) enlighten data in the runtime? There are many games with procedural/dynamic environments that would really benefit from this.

16. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

What...where....is there any link???

17. sqallpl

sqallpl

Reanimate_L likes this.
  18. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

19. Shbli

Shbli

Hi!

Will subscribers to Unity3D 4.x get the Unity3D 5 beta (Can someone please confirm this), when the time I did subscribed Unity3D 5 wasn't even announced at that time.

My first Unity3D project is very close to complete, and I have really large and dynamic environments, so I'll benefit a lot from the new lighting (Currently, I'm using dynamic lights in unity3D with hard shadows on iPhone), it does the job, but off-course the update will be great.

One more question, how it is going to be to open my 4.x project with unity3D 5, I guess the porting will be very easy (If may not require a work at all)

I'm curios about NavMesh updates in Unity 5, Is there progressive baking like how it works in CryEngine, when I move an object the NavMesh will dynamically update to show the new results, without me having to click the shortcut button to bake again (Though that is really fast now)

20. Archania

Archania

21. zelmund

zelmund

but only for open beta, like 4.6 for now

22. Archania

Archania

Ya. Unless you got into the closed alpha/beta you wait like the rest of us.

23. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

Don't.... just don't.....

24. Carpe-Denius

Carpe-Denius

-
    - Porting is easy, most api-changes seem to be updated automatically if you want it to, but you still have a bit work

- NavMeshes have to be baked at the moment.

- the beta needs a key anyway, unless it is altered, which means it could be potentially harmful

25. Deleted User

Deleted User

Yeah good job on announcing you may use a leaked (and potentially cracked) version of a product on a public forum tied to your account. Not any forum oh noo!, the actual product manufacturers forums.

Smart move champ!.

Marble and Ostwind like this.
  26. Archania

Archania

I have no reason too. I work for a living and can afford it.
    You do understand that Unity does know about things like this and will know if you ever go to publish anything using it.

27. Zeblote

Zeblote

I don't see where you can buy beta access, to get it right now.

Yes. I don't see where I said that I intend to do so.

28. Archania

Archania

Pre order thank you.
    Personally I could care less what you do. Just letting you know. Words of advice. Take it or leave it.

29. Zeblote

Zeblote

I thought you still have to wait 4-8 weeks after pre-ordering?

30. Deleted User

Deleted User

Oh so just because it's easy to get we can justify pirating now can we? I suppose CD Projekt Red deserve to go out of business and the all the workers deserve to lose there livelihood because their games are DRM free?

If the beta leaked and you have a full paid license then whatever.

As anyone in games development should realise, this sort of behaviour is not on.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2014
  31. Archania

Archania

True. They said at unite. I can wait. I have a ton of crap that I can do that doesn't need unity 5.

32. sqallpl

sqallpl

Will the SpeedTree trees be affected by the Englighten GI, skybox lighting, reflection probes, light probes etc. ?

Enlighten needs to bake the geometry for the dynamic GI. SpeedTree trees are affected by the wind feature so they can move. That means they are not as 'static' as standard, not dynamic meshes.

Is it possible to bake them for Enlighten in same way as other meshes so they will not only receive the bounced light (from the light probes, if they actually can receive it (?) ) but reflect it too?

33. Amon

Amon

I hope its released soon. I can't finish my game without it. Well I can finish a bit of it but it won't be till unity 7 with tech that doesn't even exist yet before I can finish my game.

Devil_Inside likes this.
  34. Hikiko66

Hikiko66

MMORPGFPSHL3?

35. Amon

Amon

Nah dude.........Unity Pong!!!

36. Deleted User

Deleted User

Physically based Pong!.

inafield and sqallpl like this.
  37. sqallpl

sqallpl

One more question about the Englighten.

Is the ambient light that comes from the new ambient lighting (skybox or other inputs) blocked by the geometry? It probably works like that but I just want to doublecheck.

Let's say that we have a closed box in the scene with some skybox, so there is no light source inside. Will the ambient light be blocked by the geometry so it will be pitch black inside the box? Or maybe it will be lighten by the ambient lighting just same as in Unity 4?

Would love to have a closed beta access to check these features on my own instead of asking hundreds of simple questions :rolleyes:

Last edited: Aug 29, 2014
  38. Zomby138

Zomby138

I think you'll want to put a reflection probe inside the box along with the normal light probes, then it will work properly.

sqallpl likes this.
  39. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

Like what Zomby said, it should work for dynamic object with lightprobe and reflection probe. for static object it should be pitch black

sqallpl likes this.
  40. inafield

inafield

One of the Unity Awards animations was a representation of this!

Aurore likes this.
  41. Paddington_Bear

Paddington_Bear

Not sure if this has been touched on yet but Rust has ported over to Unity 5 already.. As far as i'm aware it hasn't gone out to preorder users, nor are there any other legal means of obtaining a copy, especially the pro version.
    If a member of the UT could explain this it'd be great, i'm a little confused.

42. WalkingDead

WalkingDead

what are the requirements to run unity 5?

43. Devil_Inside

Devil_Inside

Well, as far as I know, a number of people have been granted access to the beta version for... beta testing.
    Rust, being one of the more successful Unity games, could very well have beta access too.

44. ShilohGames

ShilohGames

sqallpl likes this.
  45. sqallpl

sqallpl

Here is a video from Rust on Unity 5.
    How they achieved this? Is this a reflection probe that is updated in real time or X times per Y? Or maybe it is just new ambient lighting but with a dynamic ambient probe?

andmm likes this.
  46. janpec

janpec

Looks like its just environmental lighting thats all, and physical based shader that has specularity at maximum (white).

sqallpl likes this.
  47. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

^ this, exactly

sqallpl likes this.
  48. sqallpl

sqallpl

Yes but this is not just a static input from the static skybox. From the Unite videos it looks like you need to have an input for the environmental light. Are they updating the input (capturing a cubemap of the actual dynamic skybox?) for environmental lighting in real time?

Edit: it looks like you have two different places where you can do something with the environment lighting. One is in the scene render settings and another one is in lightmapping settings.

Can someone explain a difference between them?

Is the first one for 'direct' lighting (in areas where there is no directional light) and the second one only for indirect lighting (bounces from Enlighten) ?

There is a "Dynamic" option in the lightmapping environment settings. What is it for?

Scene render settings:

Lightmapping:

Last edited: Aug 31, 2014
  49. Paddington_Bear

Paddington_Bear

No, putting the smoothness value to the lowest setting will cause your surfaces to reflect the skybox.

sqallpl likes this.
  50. sqallpl

sqallpl

I don't have an access to Unity 5 beta so I'm only trying to get an answer from others or see something in the videos.

As far I know it can reflect the skybox if it's set as a reflection texture (cubemap) in the scene render settings. If there is no additional reflection probe near the obejct, it will use the default reflection from the scene render settings.

The thing is that in Rust, they have a dynamic skybox, so it's not just a static texture.

Do you think that they are doing all dynamic changes in the shader so it dynamically updates their skybox cubemap?

Or maybe they are updating their reflection texture (in real time or very often) by generating it via script with a camera that catches the actual skybox or other method.