Search Unity

Unity 5 release date?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PROTOFACTOR_Inc, Mar 20, 2014.

1. sqallpl

sqallpl

Sorry I've explained it wrong probably. I don't mean specular map. I mean what do you use for reflection cubemap? In Unity 5.0 it can be a reflection probe (baked as you said), cubemap generated from the skybox or few other inputs. Do you just use some skybox cubemap for it?

2. Carpe-Denius

Carpe-Denius

I wouldn't have thought it, but with a reflection probe of type custom and a cubemap render camera, you can get realtime cubemaps. I just put the probe as a child of my moving sphere.

For your cloud problem: you could try and render your clouds in your skybox.

3. sqallpl

sqallpl

So if it's possible to render it that way in real time, it would be also possible to just render one frame per XX minutes/seconds instead of doing it in real time, right? I would just cull everything that is not skybox, clouds etc. and use one global cubemap for everything. Or as said before, attach this camera to the player, catch whole surroundings to the cubemap every X/XX seconds and use it for the one big probe that is moving with player.

You mean to just use the skybox image to include clouds in it?

Last edited: Aug 22, 2014
  4. Carpe-Denius

Carpe-Denius

Yes, you can render your cubemap when you want. It is just a cubemap like in Unity4 with the benefits of automatic switching from the reflection probe system.

Yes, put your cloud computation in your sky shader.

Deleted User and sqallpl like this.
  5. macdude2

macdude2

Just wondering, how were people selected to be in the closed beta? Did you have to apply somewhere or were people just randomly chosen? Just a liiiiiittle jealous.

6. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

Not yet, sorry.

As for getting into the beta, I got in way back at the beginning of version 4, it wasn't something that just happened recently. They had opened it some time ago, but it got out of hand and there were some leaks, so they closed it to newcomers, at least for now, though you never know...

:)

7. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

In the past I think it's mostly been 'people who are helpful' - i.e. people who submit good bug reports, who provide well-thought-out feedback, etc. Certainly if you ask to join the beta programme, and you've got a stack of well-written, minimal-repro bug reports behind you, it won't hurt your chances...

8. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

That would get you partially there. "Just render a cubemap" produces a good reflection probe for perfectly smooth surfaces. For rough surfaces, the cubemap needs to have mipmaps with specially preprocessed mipmap levels ("specular convolution").

Doing that on CPU is kind of slow. Doing it on the GPU would make more sense and is doable; we just haven't done that yet. But if you want to do that yourself - you're welcome :)

9. Sebioff

Sebioff

Does all of the Enlighten stuff for GI have to be baked from the Editor (manually created scenes), or is it possible to use it with objects that are dynamically added to the scene (and never move)? Can you trigger a rebake from code during game runtime?

10. Carpe-Denius

Carpe-Denius

Ah, that renders my bug report useless;) It's still very easy for things like mirrors, even if they are not moving.

I can't do that, sorry. I'm so bad at graphics programming, I couldn't even blend normal maps without strange results...

11. Silly_Rollo

Silly_Rollo

I'd love it if you could call it from code even if it took significant time. That would open up the option of allowing users to bake lighting on user created maps. Of course that's right along with hoping that Enlighten doesn't glue the results to a scene. Some games don't cooperate very well with a scene based workflow and I hate when Unity ties features tightly to scenes.

12. Carpe-Denius

Carpe-Denius

Lightmapping is an editor class, but aras surely has more information.

13. sqallpl

sqallpl

So for rough surfaces, wee need a cubemap with preprocessed minimap levels.

What about ambient lighting from the skybox input that you've announced for Unity 5. From the videos it looks like it uses skybox material input to generate the ambient lighting. Does this input need a preprocessed minimap levels too to look good?

Im just wondering about catching the whole skybox+clouds layer+maybe something else (instead of only using a skybox image) in runtime and just using it as an input for the new ambient lighting feature. I't doesn't need to be true real time. But it need to be updated from time to time in the runtime.

If you have your whole sky on your skybox material, that probably woold work great just out of the box, but I'm wondeing about cases when you have only 'clear' sky included in the skybox material and all other things like clouds are separate objects.

Would that work?

14. Carpe-Denius

Carpe-Denius

I would add the question, how dynamic objects near other objects could be handled. Cars won't appear in prebaked reflection probes, since they are not static. How could we treat them?

15. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

An easy way out of that is: "yeah, they don't. 95% of people not going to notice", or alternatively, "cover it up with particles & effects & fast motion!"

There are more involved solutions, but we probably won't ship them out of the box in 5.0. Many of them are highly game/content specific as well. For some inspiration, look at "Reflection System in Thief" and "Reflections and Volumetrics of Killzone Shadow Fall" from sigggraph 2014 advances course, http://advances.realtimerendering.com/s2014/index.html

16. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

As for which Enlighten functionality is available in editor-only vs. possible at runtime - I don't know. I know pretty much nothing about Enlighten, so you'd have to wait until folks who know get back from Unite and talk/blog about it.

shkar-noori likes this.
  17. shkar-noori

shkar-noori

BUMP.

Zomby138 likes this.
  18. Devil_Inside

Devil_Inside

I have 1 question about the PBR shader in Unity. I've seen in the videos that when there's no specular map assigned, there's a slider for the glossiness. Once a specular map is assigned, the slider goes away. As far as I understand, the glossiness values are stored in the Alpha channel of the specular map? Why isn't there a separate glossiness map slot? Quixel for example exports a separate map. Also, as far as I know, glossiness map shouldn't be sRGB corrected, while specular map should. How does that work when there's only 1 map?

19. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

Realtime-rendered built-in reflection probes might be cut from 5.0, due to reasons explained above (we don't have a fast way to do specular convolution on the mipmaps yet). You could implement that yourself of course; but the built-in way of doing them is very likely to come later in 5.x cycle.

shkar-noori likes this.
  20. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

Packing them into one texture is more efficient. If you want separate maps, you could always just take our built-in shader (we ship source code for all built-in shaders) and modify it to have two maps instead of one.

sRGB is not a problem, since alpha channels are never sRGB-corrected by the GPU samplers. So basically, in the specular map, you have sRGB specular color in RGB, and linear smoothness value in alpha.

Devil_Inside likes this.
  21. Devil_Inside

Devil_Inside

Ok, that makes sense then. Thanks for the fast reply!

22. shkar-noori

shkar-noori

I'm a bit disappointed, cause I was made sure that all, I mean all the features were for 5.0 and not for 5.x,
    see:
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/unity-5-is-coming-and-more.234931/page-20#post-1621306
    and a couple of posts below it.

I just want to know what will be the initial 5.0 features.

23. kurylo3d

kurylo3d

I'd rather have a useable product out sooner, then have every feature at the same time. Let them add them in with a 5.1 release. Shouldn't be held back by a couple of features for very specific situations.

24. Dantus

Dantus

Reanimate_L, Devil_Inside and Ostwind like this.
  25. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

+1 this mostly this.

26. shkar-noori

shkar-noori

I'm not relying on anything that I dont currently have. I have made some kind of realtime-reflection via cubemaps at 64x64, But I'm just disappointed that they were so sure about the release features of 5.0, and now they dont deliver it for the the version it was supposed to be in, whatever 5.1 is fine by me.

27. kurylo3d

kurylo3d

Is there anyway i can get access to the beta today? Rather then 4-8 weeks. I already purchased it, but i have a client that i want to show something i did in webgl for potential business. I won't risk turning them off by forcing the unity3d web player down their throat. People who arent tech people are quick to dismiss things they have to download.

28. superpig

superpig

The people working on the feature are disappointed too. S*** happens. Nobody can guarantee a not-yet-implemented feature is going to be bug-free...

shkar-noori likes this.
  29. superpig

superpig

Y'know, thinking about it, I wonder if making that optional is the way to go. The more mirror-like the surface (and thus the less specular convolution is needed), the more noticable realtime reflections are going to be.

30. Deleted User

Deleted User

At the end of the day, were talking about some hefty changes with the 64-bit editor and enlighten integration which is a lot of work and remember it's still in beta right this moment. I'd much rather them get it right as opposed to just shipping out some half baked buggy rubbish.

So the engineers shouldn't be disappointed either, do it right or don't bother. As long as they keep at it for a timely release then all is good.

shkar-noori likes this.
  31. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

Maybe. It's only in beta1 right now, a lot of things can change before the release. We have someone working on GPU specular convolution right now, but whether that will be done before 5.0 is "finished", is hard to say.

The other thought we had, that maybe instead of realtime reflection probes, we should have built-in screenspace reflections (so the system would be similar to Killzone/Thief/others - sceenspace reflections first, then where that is not producing a good result the baked probes). But again, this thought is very likely to be "post 5.0 release".

shkar-noori and Carpe-Denius like this.
  32. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

What superpig said. There's conflicting goals in play here. On one hand, people want us to tell about plans/features early, and to ship features early. On the other hand, as soon as you tell the plans, people start expecting them to not change; and if you ship features too early, people get disappointed that they are "half baked". It's a tricky balance!

33. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

It's essentially never going to make developers happy shipping too soon and never going to make customers happy shipping too late!

Therefore if people consider Unity to be an ongoing product it's probably better for everyone. By this I mean more frequent, smaller updates.

34. eskovas

eskovas

@ShadowK

Since you are involved in the closed beta of 5.0, i was wondering if you could answer me one question about it. If you are allowed to do so of-course :p

I was just wondering if i have two sets of static geometry and i disable one and enable the other one at run-time, will these changes affect how the dynamic GI is done? (use the new enabled static geometry and not use the disabled one)
    I asked this a while ago and a dev replied saying it would be possible, but they needed to find a simple way of exposing that functionality.

This would be done for destructible parts of buildings and other structures.

I will hopefully be able to try it out when the beta is open for those who pre-ordered it, but it would be nice to know beforehand :)

@Aras
    Could you tell me if users who pre-ordered Unity 5 though Studica(student commercial) will get access to the Beta?

shkar-noori likes this.
  35. Ness

Ness

Thats why you need a a roadmap on Trello. ;)
    Roadmap on Trello = this is what we are working on(this is what you may get).
    Shiny video with cool music = this is what you will get.
    ;)

36. Deleted User

Deleted User

I've not tested how Enlighten reacts at run time, I suppose the basic premise is how does GI get affected at run time at all when instantiating meshes etc.? I've got one of Micheal O's demo scenes. I'll give it a shot and let you know..

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2014
    shkar-noori likes this.
  37. Zeblote

Zeblote

It's supposed to be "real-time" right? Does this mean we will be able to instantiate a fully dynamic scene (ingame level editor for example?) and achieve the same result as if we built it in unity editor and then activated realtime GI there?

38. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

We do have plans for a public roadmap. It might not be on Trello, but some way of "here's what we're working or planning to work on" is... on the plans.

39. Zomby138

Zomby138

As I understand it, Enlighten is "real-time" in that you can move the lights around at run time and the GI will update, but you can't move the actual geometry.

I've not got the beta yet, that's just what I've read.

40. Zeblote

Zeblote

Well that would suck. If it has to bake stuff... could that be done at run time too? Like you'd instantiate the level, it would do it's stuff, and then you could play.

shkar-noori likes this.
  41. Zomby138

Zomby138

I'd love it if it had some kinda options for something like that.

Maybe just swapping between two or more pre-baked static geometry set ups or something.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2014
  42. superpig

superpig

There's no support for baking Enlighten at runtime in the current beta.

shkar-noori likes this.
  43. eskovas

eskovas

Thanks for checking it out.
    For what i'm doing, i don't instantiate new objects at run-time that would be needed for this. All objects are already in the scene. some are enabled and others are disabled and i switch between them when destruction happens.
    If you are able to test it, could you tell me what happens to the GI when you destroy/disable a static geometry?

Sorry if i'm asking you to do too many things :p after this i'll go back to waiting for the pre-order beta :)

Edit:
    I would be very happy if by disabling a geometry at run-time, then that geometry would no longer be used to compute the GI. I could make things work with that :)

Last edited: Aug 23, 2014
    shkar-noori likes this.
  44. Zeblote

Zeblote

Do you have any plans to support it in 5.0 or a later release? Would be awesome.

Sebioff likes this.
  45. VIC20

VIC20

Interesting, will that work on mobile? I've worked on a "real time" GPU solution for this problem within the last weeks for my mobile project - it takes 0.5 seconds to blur on the iPad Air while keeping 60 fps, but the older iOS GPUs who does not like dependent texture reads need a minimum of 5 seconds with kind of brute force otherwise the app will crash, so I can update the cube map by (sharing the work load over many frames) maybe every minute or two which is still fast enough for my needs. (I only need sky, clouds and water surface on my cube maps because it is a sub sim)

shkar-noori likes this.
  46. Deleted User

Deleted User

It's exactly what Zomby138 is saying, I tried it and got there eventually. The short answer is no it doesn't update the GI at runtime if you change the geometry.

It was the same when I used it years back.

47. eskovas

eskovas

Thanks for taking the time to check this out for me :)
    I'm hoping they let us remove geometry from the GI at run-time in the future, it's really important when dealing with destructible environment and other scenarios. ( I believe Battlefield games do this and they also use Enlighten, but in a different way i guess )

Imagine you have a big building and it's really dark inside it. By destroying one wall, the GI would affect the inside of the building a lot more.
    This is how the destruction in my game looks like (this is a very simple destruction model i made. it will be more complex):
    destruction.jpg

From what i remember, i also don't think it's possible to remove data from removed/disabled geometry from the occlusion culling system. That's one of the reasons i don't use it.

48. superpig

superpig

Dynamic geometry is good even for simpler things like doors opening (e.g. standing in a dark room and opening the door into a light room). They know it's a valuable feature to have, it was just too much to do for 5.0.

shkar-noori and Zeblote like this.
  49. Zeblote

Zeblote

Does this mean we will be able to have realtime GI for a fully dynamic scene (all objects spawned by script, at runtime) at some point in the future?

shkar-noori likes this.
  50. eskovas

eskovas

Yes it is. The dev also told me that. He also said it was something they could look at in the future but definitely not for 5.0.

Having that feature would drastically change how an indoor level would look like. (with doors/windows that can be opened or with destructible environment)

One other option to save performance and not have a dynamic door affect the GI calculations, the door could simply be removed from the GI calculations once opened. It wouldn't have that nice effect of lighting the room while opening it, but would still work very well. But there would have to be a functionality to add the door back to the GI calculations, in case we want to close the door.

Edit:
    My apologies if i sidetracked too much from the original topic :/

Last edited: Aug 24, 2014