Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity 5 pixel scaling issue

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by aitchest-of-dees, Apr 13, 2015.

1. aitchest-of-dees

aitchest-of-dees

FIXED!!!!!!!!!

To fix this issue:
    1) Select your sprite resources
    2) Change the Texture Type to Advanced
    3) Change Mesh Type from "Tight" to "Full Rect"
    4) PROFIT

I have a game that uses sprites built from layers. All layers are the same size and are positioned at the same place. However, when I upgraded to Unity 5 (EDIT: THIS BUG IS PRESENT IN VERSION 4.6+), the pixels no longer scaled in a consistent manner.

Here's the base layer for my sprite. Notice the fat highlighted pixel on the top of his hat, and the square pixel to the right:

Now here's what happens in Unity 5 when the uniform layer is placed on top of the base layer. Notice the fat pixel is now on the right and you can see the fat red pixel sticking out underneath:

Because of this issue, you can see pixels bleed through from the base layer:

See the red coming from his hat and shoulder?

I had really hoped Unity would be getting better tools for pixel-perfect sprite alignment. This update breaks the existing sprite system for me, and I have to stick with the older version unless there's a way to fix this. These sprites are the same size and positioned in the same place, so they should scale the same way.

Edit -- Here's the sprite from Unity 4 with all layers on and no pixel bleed:

Last edited: Jun 19, 2015
    rakkarage likes this.
  2. aitchest-of-dees

aitchest-of-dees

rakkarage likes this.