Search Unity

Unity 5 new network features (UNet)

Discussion in 'UNet' started by MacStanley, Mar 6, 2015.

1. MacStanley

MacStanley

Hi there,

I have been waiting for Unity5 to be released for a long time. Now that it has been released I just noticed that the new network features (
    ) dont seem to be implemented. Maybe I am wrong, but I can not find them as a component.

Can anyone please confirm or provide additional information about the new network features release?

Thanks for your help :)

tobad likes this.
  2. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

It's being developed and is in alpha at the moment. It looks very promising and you can expect it in a future 5.x release.

3. Khazzack

Khazzack

Don't quite see why the "alpha" isn't released now so we can start using it :D As it seemed to work fine when you showed it off last year ;) And then update it as Unity versions updates. Just gotta be patient I guess :'/

4. HappyLDE

HappyLDE

I want this so bad xD

5. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Because it might suddenly start formatting your hard drive and make people cry who expect full MMO support with one button click.

raja-bala, Pecek, Stephen_O and 5 others like this.
  6. Mabenan

Mabenan

made my day

jonkuze likes this.
  7. forcepusher

forcepusher

It will support Windows Store Universal apps right ?

Right now i'm kinda stuck with no networking, so debating if I should start developing my own Unity networking framework based on WebSockets support from BestHTTP plugin, but TCP for a fast-paced game ain't a best solution.
    (Photon won't cut it. Way too much limitations and costs quite a lot.)

Last edited: Mar 15, 2015
  8. gsus725

gsus725

Alpha usually means the system isn't in a functional enough state to be used

9. Whippets

Whippets

Beta can't come soon enough

10. tswalk

tswalk

I was hoping that uNet would become open-source like UI, Katana, NUnit (et al.)that Unity has put up ...

any chance this will happen? :D

11. Whippets

Whippets

Who knows. It's been quiet since Unite 2014. We could definitely use a dev to come along and restart the hype train.

12. Khazzack

Khazzack

Hilarious >_>

13. Spacedawg

Spacedawg

Any chance of a rough ETA for UNet functionality arriving to personal edition? are we talking weeks? months? This is important for project planning for many of us as you can imagine. Any rough estimate would be greatly appreciated.

Whippets likes this.
  14. Whippets

Whippets

A rough guesstimate would be great. Could be in the RoadMap, but that's not public yet

Spacedawg likes this.
  15. BFGames

BFGames

A rule of thumb i always use is to never put unreleased projects/software into your planning. Even if you have a date it might 1. be pushed back for a looong time or be buggy as hell for a long time 2. Not even be as good as you expected it to be.

But thats just me :)

16. forcepusher

forcepusher

Need more posts! Earlier they blogged that it's gonna be available in 5.x release cycle.
    More info pls.

Whippets likes this.
  17. jonkuze

jonkuze

Does anyone know if UNet will support WebGL? I'm currently using Photon Networking, but i'd rather use something built by Unity if it's much better than their last Networking Solution that I always heard horrible things about.

18. mgear

mgear

jonkuze likes this.
  19. jonkuze

jonkuze

20. jpthek9

jpthek9

Yes! I think they'd do it right by allowing for customized servers instead of just routing data through itself and increasing latency.

21. HappyLDE

HappyLDE

When we get it?

22. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

5.1 as far as I know, which is in closed beta and soon open beta (available to pro users first). If stable, it'll move to general release. Please keep an eye on announcements, the Unity twitter feed and blog for more info. There's a few past blogs explaining the roadmap for UNet as well.

23. Puhree

Puhree

For those who missed it, UNET is available in a beta release now, unfortunately for pro users only. Although I would be happy to purchase a one month trial or something twelve month subscription just doesn't calculate for me right now. I hope this goes to general release quickly. Can't wait to test it!

511 and forcepusher like this.
  24. Tony-Lovell

Tony-Lovell

Will the API eventually expose Server and Client connections as separate objects rather than static singletons, so that a node can, for instance, be a client to a server AND a server to clients? My game concept is one of sea battles involving scores of ships, each ship having with scores of sailor/players who have a first-person perspective on the proceedings. It REALLY lends itself to player machines being Sailor clients to Ship Nodes which, in turn, are clients to a Sea Server. That is, the my Ship Nodes would have to be clients to the Sea Server AND be servers to the Sailor Clients. As far as I can see, your model's top-level presentation, only, seems to make this sort of architecture impossible.

Also, I like the cloud-based relay servers, but wonder will there ever be a means to have true cloud servers can run game logic? The present model seems to require that one player be the "host", and this means the world disappears when that player goes to bed or loses heart in the game. It would be utterly fantastic if my Sea Servers and Ship Nodes could be entirely managed in the cloud, and yet I could rely on learning one networking code base that fits nicely right onto my end-user distributables.

tone

25. JeremyUnity

JeremyUnity