Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Official Unity 5 Launch

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by John-Riccitiello, Mar 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. atmuc

atmuc

is refund for full purchase or also for upgrades?

is Level 11 time limited? i have perpetual professional license. i will have Level 11 forever, or until Unity 6?

when i have pro subscription, i think i will have Level 11. will all free assets mine after i cancel my subscription?

does ios and android free versions have all pro engine features like post effects?

to use team feature should i download cache server? link does not work; http://unity3d.com/unity/collaboration

it is bad i cannot use ios and android pro subscription with perpetual unity pro version.

Parallaxe likes this.
  2. Grafos

Grafos

Thank you UT for the personal edition, very excited about the launch. I have to join the criticism on the "Personal Edition" bit of the splash screen. It really screams "non serious developer", from a marketing standpoint it's disastrous.

Moonjump likes this.
  3. Que

Que

I'm trying to download Unity 5 Pro but no luck.

I am a member using monthly subscription service. Every time I tried to download, it is asking me to buy it or get a new subscription. Please check my account and let me now how will I get the latest copy of Unity?

Cheers,
    EM @ KING.NET

4. fearfactory

fearfactory

Non serious developer = Why should I give them any money? They're not serious. <- As a Customer.

This will lead to less Pro upgrades. So its hopefully a small font issue they can tweak.

5. Lunatix

Lunatix

Same here. Do we have to download the free version and enter our license there?

Edit: Nevermind. This was the solution - just hit the download button and click "Help > Manager Licenses".
    Since I already had a licensed version on my machine, I had nothing to do than installing :)

Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
    davem250 likes this.
  6. GreatWhite

GreatWhite

Hi,

I've been paying a Unity 4 Pro subscription + Pro Android subscription for over a year but can't download Unity 5 Pro. Do I have to cancel my current subscriptions and get new ones? Or is there a way to upgrade Unity 4.x and Android Pro add-on to 5?

Thanks in advance!

7. Que

Que

I'm ok now.
    I logout to my account and try to download it again.

8. pauloaguiar

pauloaguiar

Any idea whats is the cause of this error?
    Personal edition free , it show error of :
    "can not initialize license activation window"! Whats is the problem whit the activation?

9. John-Riccitiello

John-Riccitiello

Unity Technologies

Level 11 is a collection of great assets from the store pulled together in a bundle. Up to you if you want to buy or not. Level 11 is included as a bonus with Unity 5 Pro.

davem250, Lunatix and Josh-Naylor like this.
  10. orb

orb

Actually. I get servers with quicker response time for less monthly ;)

11. fearfactory

fearfactory

This sounds a lot like Playstation Plus.

That's awesome of you John to visit the forums. Rest assured you made the right decision today to compete with Unreal and keep them down. The only critique is that the word "Personal" may.., no it will reduce sales of in-app purchases for Indies. It implies a lower level of professionalism by the indie and the in-app purchase userbase is already getting skeptical and resistant as per recent lawsuits, shaking their faith in the developer on startup may harm purchase confidence.

It may also encourage Apple or Google to not take these developers seriously and feature them less. This would harm Unity's potential and reach to both users and visibility to developers.

Thanks for visiting and reading our posts.

12. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

Thanks for the help guys. Got it downloaded and running. It is so awesome. In the free version and I can have point light shadows and image effects. Thank you so much Unity Team. I am just an Asset Store dev but this will help me so much from setting up LODs to making great looking demo scenes.

One more question. Sorry. I am having a problem looking for the built-in shaders for 5. The download archive has the option to download but the link is broken.

13. StarManta

StarManta

Then consider the cost of Pro a marketing cost. From my point of view it's tough to take seriously complaints about tiny presentation details of a free piece of software that is drastically more powerful than it was last week. If you're a professional, then you pay for professional level software.

In order to publish your first game and look professional doing it, you only need $75 out of pocket. It's true you're committing to pay that monthly for a year, but if you have any confidence at all in your game, that'll be plenty. Frankly, if you can't be bothered to put $75 into publishing your game, then you're not a serious developer.

14. imaleper

imaleper

Have you also unlocked the pro features such as level load async in 4.6.2? Or whats the story there? Do I have to go through the pain of upgrading the project and manually any third party assets just to get all the pro features?

15. StarManta

StarManta

All the pro features within the engine are in free, but only in 5.0. The work of upgrading a project is a much smaller price to pay than the $1500 it would've cost you yesterday to use those features, and it's not like you wouldn't have had to upgrade them at some point anyway.

16. orb

orb

Or you could use the server tools to apply a chmod -R 755 to every system at once? Or maybe Puppet could also do it? There should be lots of automation options, which any lazy sysadmin will look for first thing ;)

17. ShyRec

ShyRec

It's awesome! It's all about what i dreaming for.
    For free. No royalty.
    So much cool stuff.
    Thanks, Unity :)

davem250 and Baldinoboy like this.
  18. Moonjump

Moonjump

It is $225, not $75. I am a serious developer and it will be far from my first game, but I do not consider it good value for money, especially the subscription option.

19. BIG-BUG

BIG-BUG

It's a bit stupid. You have to go to the Personal Edition download page to get the Unity installer, even if you are a Pro user.
    After downloading it should automatically recognize your Pro licence.

20. Mauri

Mauri

How about the nice "Get Unity" link in the main top navigation bar?

21. landon912

landon912

I wish to vacate my thanks.

Some people need the world to be happy. Be grateful for all the things given.

davem250 likes this.
  22. BIG-BUG

BIG-BUG

23. vakabaka

vakabaka

Thank you Unity Team :)

24. tbelgrave

tbelgrave

The Viking Village is pro only? :( I'm recieving a bunch of console errors screaming for Pro. What's up?

25. MagnetiCat

MagnetiCat

26. DanielQuick

DanielQuick

They will no longer update Unity 5.x after that date. For example, if Apple creates a new requirement (like they did with 64 bit support) that Unity 5.x does not support you will need to upgrade to Unity 6.x for the fix.

27. MagicZelda

MagicZelda

sorry peeps i read the Original post and dont want to spoil it by reading others (just yet). only a week ago i paid for UE4 and since then its been wow amazing GFX (looking) but if only it was Unity and price was the same (very very small company) and then BAM UE4 Free and i thought UT please do better than that as I truly (30yrs dev experience) believe that their attitude is right on the money for me. And wow they did. Well done guys and girls at Unity Tech. Stick with your Ethos its so in tune with reall devs and also my 7year old loves it and as we know they are the future. And I am 100% sure for him Unity will be defacto when its (Get a job and no more school). Just awesome work :)

davem250 likes this.
  28. MagnetiCat

MagnetiCat

Thanks Daniel ;)

This is interesting for people currently deciding whether to subscribe or purchase, as it makes the subscription "only" 300 USD more expensive than the purchased license for the lifetime of the product. Of course this does not take into account users just in need of buying an upgrade or that will upgrade to Unity 6. But at the same time, it does not even take into account that you could develop a product with the free license and then buy the subscription before release.

29. radiantboy

radiantboy

Wow that a stunning update! I too just bought Unity on the strength of stuff I figured I wouldn't get in the free one. But the Splash thing alone justifies the cost ironically, as someone mentioned, pro games will want a pro custom splash. I dont mind "admitting" (Im proud!) im using Unity with an image in my game start up somewhere but id prefer it was not the one they see on a million games a day, and certainly prefer they dont see the words "personal edition" :)

In some tiny way I feel slightly swindled, but I wont be asking for a refund, Unity has been running on my machine 24/7 for the last 27 months, and probably will continue to do so for many years to come. There are so many cool benefits too, the extra asset store thing, I would pay for if I didnt have pro, so there's a ton of cash saved right there every year. All that other stuff that I dont even know what it is, surely this year I will be all over it, so the cost is probably justified. It would only go on beer anyway :) It's not that I have a lot of money, the transaction was so unusual I had the fraud squad on the phone three times telling me some mad man was buying insanely pricey software on my card LOL...

Anyway I'm very happy with Unity and the free one looks great, I hope this means I can work with a mate who is using the free one, someone mentioned you couldnt but that doesnt seem right if you have your own CVS set up etc. I had hoped (not read it yet) the team license meant you could let others in your team use the pro one for free somehow.

Anyway if you paid and you get a refund you will go back to that dowdy grey skin, can't have that can we?

EDIT: lets say I grab player maker now while it's free, if I grab it again in like 6 months, will it still be free because I already have it ? If so damn, this pro asset store is genius.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
    MagicZelda and protopop like this.
  30. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

Getting this cleared up

Looking into this.

Yes and Yes.

No

Just like our other major releases, we estimate a 18 - 24 month release cycle. This just guarantees that we've got you covered for that period, whatever happens after that

We're handling this on case by case so it depends on your situation, but yes, if you upgraded and purchased outright.

Level 11 is not time limited for Pro users, if you are a Personal user with a subscription to it, in which case the service will stop.

iOS and Android have all the Pro editor features in Personal edition.

You're right the cache server is 'file not found" I'll get someone on that.

atmuc, orb, chiapet1021 and 1 other person like this.
  31. Aurore

Aurore

So here is the highlighted answer from the EULA

We permit individuals to collaborate with or license content to third parties regardless of version. See Section 2.1(b).

2. Restrictions.
    1. Unity Personal Restrictions. You acknowledge and agree that as an express condition to the license rights granted under Section 1, you are not permitted to combine or integrate in any manner any Licensee Content developed with Unity Personal with any Licensee Content developed simultaneously with Unity Pro. For the avoidance of doubt: (a) if you are a permitted user of Unity Personal, you may commence a project using only Unity Personal and subsequently upgrade all (but not less than all) of your licenses to Unity Pro and the applicable Unity Pro Add-On Products, and (b) any user of the Software may use content licensed from third parties regardless of the version of the Software that was used to develop such third party content. You acknowledge and agree that Unity may tag Licensee Content created with Unity Personal with an identifier to prevent such a prohibited combination of Licensee Content.

chiapet1021 likes this.
  32. jashan

jashan

I wasn't talking about the hardware ;-)

33. chiapet1021

chiapet1021

Thanks, Aurore! I found that section and pointed it out in another thread after I made the post on this one. I still wanted official clarification, so I very much appreciate you providing that for us. :)

34. diegzumillo

diegzumillo

I'm very excited about this! I downloaded and played around with the editor, imported a couple of projects etc.

I still haven't inspected the license differences yet but I can tell that every engine feature is present in the free version as well. That is a very smart move, in my opinion, and amazing news for hobbyists like myself.

I have but one nitpick. One of the things that I always loved about Unity, maybe because I tried UDK and crytek before (and hated it) is that it always starts with a blank sheet. Nothing but a camera in the scene. I like that. But today my new project came with a skybox and a light. So now every time I start a new scene I have to remove these two things. It is just a nitpick but it immediately reminded me of my UDK days where I had to start from a first person shooter regardless of what my project was.

35. NoradZero

NoradZero

Would like to know aswell. Are ALL the features of Unity 5 engine available in both FREE and PRO as mentionned in the list here http://unity3d.com/get-unity ?

36. imaleper

imaleper

Well there seemingly all sorts of deprecated errors, including some real bummers like <Component>.gameObject.rigidbody/collider... Were I to subscribe into pro from this point is the subscription backwards compatible with 4.6?

37. chiapet1021

chiapet1021

The Pro page is confusing because it mentions engine features in a way that makes it sound like they are just for Pro--but those features (PBS, profiler, GI, etc.) are in both versions. It's been answered here already, but just to reiterate, pretty much all engine features are the same between Personal and Pro. Pro only is primarily limited to the new cloud-based services and the Asset Store Level 11.

38. Aurore

Aurore

That is the license comparison list, yes.

Pro licenses are still backwards compatible.

39. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

So, I am now downloading Unity Personal Edition, and I submitted my refund request so I can use the funds from that to improve my toolset in my pipeline. @Aurore I would have to pm you about this refund request as it is kinda hard to explain here...

Basically, I was grandfathered into a Unity 5 Pro licence on March 31st, 2014 after upgrading from Pro 3 to 4, and then hit with the announcement of 5. (I have the invoice, pm me for details.)

You guys hit this announcment out of the park... even with my friends in my ear about Unreal 4... nope, sticking with my guns... and Unity is the gunslinger

radiantboy likes this.
  40. Dunkelheit

Dunkelheit

Can I switch the code editor to VS2013? I realized that same version of Unity 4.x for MonoDevelop is available for 5.0, that is not good at all!

41. Grafos

Grafos

From my point of view it's tough to put so much effort in creating a game and have the stigma of "amateur" because of a logo. In order to look professional and target mobile you do need to invest quite a bit. Please don't insult indie developers with limited funds by calling them "not serious".

Don't get me wrong, I am eternally grateful to UT for Unity 5 PE, it's awesome, but that little logo bit can be a deal breaker for people not having enough funds and not wanting to appear amateurish (who does?)

Maybe unity could consider a cheap indie version which is exactly like personal edition but without that little Personal Edition logo thing? How about $29 a month for all platforms, with access to level11 and no PE logo (just throwing a number there)?

42. Aurore

Aurore

Haha Thanks :) And yeah this is different, our support team will process it from now on so PMing me won't make much difference as they will work through your situation. If you do run into any issues or have concerns then get in touch :)

Josh-Naylor likes this.
  43. AaronC

AaronC

Hi so the Mac sys requirements say OSX 10.6 .Hippocoder intimated a while back that it actually needs 10.7 and I can now confirm it wont run on 10.6

Is the sys requirements erronous or is there some trick to get it running?
    Hackers, PM me.

44. Aurore

Aurore

I'd have to investigate this, I'm not sure if it's a mistake on our website or something in the editor is borked. I expect it may be a mistake in our copywriting.

45. NoradZero

NoradZero

Anyway i am really happy of the Unity 5 move taken. I am impressed! Having access to ALL the engine feature in FREE is really a blast. Also the new asset store subscription service look really nice!

46. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

I also deleted my Unity 5 beta :) so I am looking forward to it.

47. Fubeca

Fubeca

I can't submit my refund request on iOS Pro 5 because it says that the invoice PDF you provided me isn't PDF mime type. Not sure how I can fix that.

Edit: Looks like it's an issue with FireFox. Loaded up IE and tried it and it went through just fine.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
  48. AaronC

AaronC

Thanks, looking forward to finding out.

49. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

This thread is busy so in case it was missed:

Thanks

50. Almaj

Almaj

this is bullsh**t, wiht the "Personal Edition" I don´t have ambient GI, lightmaps, everything caped in the free version... lol this is useless... going back where I was, bye bye.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.