Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity 5 is coming and more!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Aurore, Mar 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

Very well said. Unity was not the first engine I worked/learned in though. My process was UDK - Cryengine 3 - Unity(actually hated it at first:eek:.) - UDK(still playing in Cryengine;)) - UDK(learning Unity intermittently) - got stuck on Unity:D. I actually had fun engine jumping. Now that I am actually working though I very rarely visit other engines. Unity all the way baby:).

2. nipoco

nipoco

That's good to know.

I'm still unsure what to think about the light mapping in Unity 5.

3. zenGarden

zenGarden

We could ask all users having a sold a game with UE4 or others engines why they believe their engine is the best choice for them.
    There is already a thread about Free version, no need to discuss that here.

You should take a closer look, some small engines just learned from Unity workflow and editor and are very capable. UE4 also took good ideas from Unity. And these engines are not very different once you are able to dig them enought.
    But i agree that Unity is one of the most easy on workflow and editor presentation, but that's not the point that will make me pay 1500$ when i need full features.

They are beginners and advanced users with UE4 , Crysis and other engines, that master them enought to make prototypes and some that sold a game .
    It's more a matter of your ability to learn and dig something , could it be more complicated.
    And your ability to stick to one engine for a project, and keep your motivation to complete your game with it.
    Some of us are able to use more than one engine , but in your case it seems you are doomed to stick with Unity only.
    Unity make things easy to learn and use, that's a great point, but for some experienced people with 3D engines, this point is no more valid.

The thread is related to why "Unity is NOT coming out" :D

Last edited: Dec 24, 2014
  4. Blarp

Blarp

Open beta please~

rakkarage likes this.
  5. pauloaguiar

pauloaguiar

Is not recommended yet. Patient. There is lots of bugs. relax:)
    Read the posts from beta users testers.

6. zenGarden

zenGarden

I agree, the stability and fixing all major bugs is really important for a better user experience.
    Unity really should take it's time and not rush like UE4 on that side.

pauloaguiar likes this.
  7. Blarp

Blarp

The information regarding WebGL is lacking

8. Andy-Touch

Andy-Touch

A Moon Shaped Bool Unity Legend

In what way?

9. ejhong

ejhong

I just want to use it to build a webgl version that will run in chrome on the mac. Currently the unity plugin is broken.

10. goldbug

goldbug

30 pages, and not a single word from any unity developer explaining what the cryptic "New multithreaded job scheduler" means.

Will I be able to have multithreaded jobs?

11. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

In Unity 5.0 we have a new job scheduling system which makes it easier for us (the Unity engineering team) to perform certain tasks in a multithreaded, asynchronous way, with tasks being efficiently scheduled to threads across the whole application's workload (instead of individual systems having to create and manage their own threads).

This has made it much easier to implement things like multithreaded culling, and will make it easier for us to convert other things to being multithreaded in the future.

If you mean 'can I schedule my own tasks into Unity's job scheduler,' the answer's currently no; it's for Unity developers (and source code licensees) only right now. That said, I believe it's already possible to use the .NET threadpool to run your own tasks in a job-system kind of way.

12. Dark_Ansem

Dark_Ansem

source code licensees? is it the same as Unity Pro?

13. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

No, it's people who bought a source code license.

--Eric

14. Dark_Ansem

Dark_Ansem

it's somewhat a disappointment. I once looked at Unity 5 eagerly, but it's getting worse and worse...

15. goldbug

goldbug

Thank you, that clarifies it. Indeed I am using .net to do threading in my app. But the problem is that there is no way to have my own yield Instruction, so there is no easy way for the background thread to let the UI know that it is done, I am having to poll a flag every frame

16. superpig

superpig

Well, assuming that you don't want the UI thread to freeze while waiting for the background thread, then whatever you do is going to involve a pattern of 'do some work, check if the background thread is done, repeat.' Polling a bool flag sounds reasonable to me.

17. goldbug

goldbug

It would be great if a coroutine would wait on a yield instruction, and the background thread would trigger it when it is done. But I suppose Unity implements the yield instructions as polling anyway?

18. superpig

superpig

Ah, I see what you're trying to do. Well, it depends on the yield instruction, but yeah, even if we did implement some kind of 'coroutine yield on a background thread' we'd just end up polling a bool flag within the engine itself. There's no way to get around that because we need the main thread to perform the 'resume from yield' at the correct point within the game loop, so the background thread would have to set a flag for us to pick up when it's time to pump coroutines for the frame.

19. mujkicmirza

mujkicmirza

Which engine of PhotoShop you use to import FPS Maps,or you import maps without using photoshop can't remember the full name of Photoshop thingy? which you use to import FPS Maps game maps.

Can any one show me how to code the Unity games everytime people make docummentary or walkthrough of creating the game with Unity game Engine everything is blurry can't see blasted thing.Sorry for my bad language over your community.?

20. ChrisSch

ChrisSch

Don't understand your first question, but the Learn section is full of tutorials. There's full projects as well. Also try upping the quality of the videos you're watching. I haven't had a problem where the tutorials are too blurry. If your internet is too slow, try downloading the videos beforehand in high quality.

21. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Strong username and post to request ratio...Dont want to board messed with noob bug reports just yet.
    Already there number of issues with the 4.6.x releases in terms of mobile, and the beta to pre ordered customers is a nice thank you, so I guess you should buy a license.

hippocoder likes this.
  22. mujkicmirza

mujkicmirza

This s what I'm saying that everything is blurry and can't make the game not to code the game.

How to create a Main Menu in Unity3D

23. mujkicmirza

mujkicmirza

Sorry for my missunderstand spelling I never have any foreign language.

24. Archania

Archania

The video you are showing I believe is an old one and it only goes up to 360 which sucks for resolution.
    So yes in that case it is going to be blurry.
    nothing anyone can do about it. Look for a more current tutorial that is a higher resolution.

25. superpig

superpig

Yeah, that video is from 4 years ago. A lot of things have changed since then anyway. The tutorials at http://www.unity3d.com/learn are more up to date.

26. startas

startas

So, when unity 5 stable/official release will see the sunlight ? Is there some kind of date, or something?

ChrisSch likes this.
  27. Andy-Touch

Andy-Touch

When the final version is ready to be released, and as stable as it can possibly be, it will be released.

Have patience. :)

28. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Meanwhile you can have it now if you take out a sub or buy it :)

29. ChrisSch

ChrisSch

But I need Unity 5 asap to replace my lack of skill dammit!

DryTear likes this.
  30. DryTear

DryTear

touche

31. AaronC

AaronC

Will Unity 5 run on OSX 10.6.x?

Thanks

32. superpig

superpig

Nope, sorry. You'll need 10.7 or higher. This goes for the games you make, too, not just running the Unity Editor.

33. AaronC

AaronC

Thanks for letting me know

34. Bhearus

Bhearus

I have a quick question.
    Will Socket.DuplicateAndClose and/or Pipes be supported in Unity 5? As far as I can tell DuplicateAndClose is simply not implemented, nor is Pipes. Am I wrong?

Thank you.

35. Frozenicy

Frozenicy

Thanks , Unity3D being realized my dream!

36. katoun

katoun

Hello,
    It seems that that multithreading is not working as I think it should in one case:
    I have the PostApo Pack https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/16452 from the asset store. The scene has many objects. When I push play I have to wait for Unity somewhere around 30-40 seconds to start playing while the editor is in (Not Responding). This is happening on a Windows 8, Windows 7 and a MacOS system, an AMD FX 8-cores 3GHz, 8GB and upgraded to 16GB, OS and project data on 2 SSDs and a MacPro.
    Observation:
    - In Unity5 the scene loading takes a couples of seconds. In Unity4 the scene loading took around 25 (a big improvement there)
    - In Unity4 entering play took almost double the time (an improvement here too) and it too went for that time in (Not Responding) mode
    Still it takes around 30 second to enter play mode for a scene that it may be big, but it freezes the editor and it gives no feedback on what it is doing.

Regards.

37. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

That is a great thing to know. A big problem I have with Unity is the crazy slow start-up. With that though is it the multithreading or the 64bit that helps?

38. KB

KB

I'd like to hear more about the navmesh changes. I asked here. Suggestion was to ask in this thread so:

Pathfinding with NavmeshAgents in Unity 5?

Is there a good boost in path finding performance in Unity 5, (obviously for anyone who's got access to compare Unity 4 V 5)? I think some people have access to the Unity 5 beta(?). I don't have access to that. What sort of magnitude improvement are we talking about?

Why ask? I am the point right now of making game design decision for what I can consider doing with my AI path finding. The bottleneck in Unity 4.x, (for me), is currently the time it takes to do path finding calculations. (Alternatives to Unity Navmeshagents fail for me in other respects). I want to set my game limitations based on Unity 5 because it should be out well within the development time frame of my game and I could really do with being able to make some kind of decision based on what is likely to be the capability with that. I guess a lot of other folks would benefit too and not knowing places constraints on folks design decisions, it would be great to know.

39. alphakanal

alphakanal

I'm looking forward the upcoming webGL support in Unity 5!

But i'm not very up-to-date with browserstandarts, what is possible with mobile browsers and what is not supported on mobile devices. So there is one thing i'd like to know:

If i export a game into that "format" - will this game running on computer-browsers only or is this also running on mobile devices? Or is there a list of what feature is running on what platform?

40. pKallv

pKallv

I am considering purchasing Unity 5, could someone point out what new 2D features Unity 5 comes with vs. 4.6?

41. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

None; Unity 5 and 4.6 were developed at the same time. (The UI stuff in the Unity 5 betas frequently lagged behind 4.6 actually, though I think it's caught up now.)

--Eric

42. Andy-Touch

Andy-Touch

Woah, im actually correcting Eric!:

Unity 5 has a whole new bunch of 2D physics area effectors you can use. A demo of which is in our trailer for Unity 5 at 2 mins 11 secs in.

shkar-noori likes this.
  43. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Oh, 2D...I was just thinking UI for some reason.

--Eric

44. zenGarden

zenGarden

Well, PBR should help even simple shapes models to have a realistic rendering making them lot more interesting than standard rendering in Unity Free 4.6 that's looks just old gen.
    And 4.6 is really a good one if your goal is not to make the next Skyrim and great for 2D games.

45. Exeneva

Exeneva

Is there any advantage in preordering Unity 5 now versus buying it when it's released?

My team is currently working with Unity 4.6 free, but we are on track to need production features 4 months down the line. Will the price go up? Should we preorder now or wait?

46. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

You can use the Pro license with Unity 4, and you get access to the Unity 5 betas.

--Eric

47. goat

goat

I first bought a Unity Basic licenses in 2009 and while those are now free the Unity Pro licenses have been and remain $1500 a platform the entire time. I won't and can't tell you if the price will go up or down, that is speculation.

You know your budget better than we do. If you really need the features for actual game play rather than artistic aesthetics then you should buy now. Only you are knowledgeable enough about your situation to answer that question.

If you need Unity 5 for artistic aesthetics only then you are much better planning on using Unity 4.6 to release this game in my opinion. Unity 5 won't magically make borderline mobile hardware more capable and Unity 4.6 has ilcpp too.

48. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

5 does make games using 4.6 shaders a LOT faster though. You don't *have* to use PBS. And indeed you'd be dumb to if you wanted to target a wide range of devices. You'd still ideally use shaders like in the echologin package, or frag/vert and lean heavily on Unity 5's optimisations which are making huge differences to our projects.

Moonjump likes this.
  49. crol

crol

Any sigh about what features in Unity 5 would be available for free (or maybe subscription price changes)?

50. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

"Soon" :)

crol and Mikea15 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.