Search Unity

Unity 5 is coming and more!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Aurore, Mar 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pauloaguiar

pauloaguiar

Patience people.
    I know that for many people is a frustration, as I too am frustrated with the current physics.
    For these reasons I had to cancel my project many times, "destruction derby classic" hobbyist made.
    Many people must have been thinking I was a joke. (This guy is a joke). :eek:
    Just had very bad result.:(
    I can only wait for version 5.
    So advise the users to be patient. If not the result of V5 on release day will be a disappointment with other bugs after bugs, freezes the program and so on.
    It is preferable that the program is more or less stable.
    Patience is a virtue.:)

2. Ayrik

Ayrik

I completely disagree with this. I would rather have more frequent updates like they've been trying to do (and doing very well). The only thing I'd suggest is to try to focus your efforts on less "features" and have more polish and more tools/options for those features. More features is not better than a few really awesome features.

shkar-noori and Baldinoboy like this.
  3. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

What does complete even mean when it comes to software like Unity? Could they really ever say "it's complete now" and never add any more features? I mean it's "complete" now. You can use it and make a game, hence it serves its purpose and so it's complete.

By your logic, we should still be using Unity 1. And about now we would have a re-release called Unity HD that would have all the buttons upscaled...

4. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

I totally agree. Small updates advancing the included features instead of always trying the next big thing. I like the next big thing. It is always nice to have, but if you are using an unfinished feature (Terrain System) the next big thing is not going to be so nice to use.

I know Unity will never be a complete piece of software because they are making a lot of money with Asset Store extensions and shaders that should already be included. I love the Asset Store and am planning to be a part of it. Though for a person who payed $1500 I would think it can be upsetting to have to pay another large dollar amount for things that you have to have if you want a decent game.

I love Unity. Its simplicity and speed is amazing. That is why I am using it instead of UE4. I do think though they need to improve some things before spending all their time on something new.

I have a question on Unity 5 now:). Is there going to be a new terrain shader included in 5.0?

5. VicToMeyeZR

VicToMeyeZR

No not by my logic. Mostly complete means (and I thought developers were smart enough to understand), if you say a specific version will contain x features, then that specific feature should contain x features... You wouldn't sell a game that you said will have x, y and z in it, then only release with x... wait 6 months and put out y, and then 8 months later do z, then 6 months later sell version 2 with more complete x, y and z. Makes no sense, unless its only about money, and not a quality product that you are proud of. uGUI is a perfect example. They claimed "it was never promised", but over and over it was talked about going in certain versions... Then made a stupid website just to tease their customers. Well done, great customer service there.

6. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

No, that never happened and you're just making things up. It's well known they had some false starts and wanted it done earlier, but a specific version was never mentioned until 4.6, when they finally had something concrete. By your logic, you want them to wait 2+ years until Unity 5 is "complete" (whatever that means). So in the meantime nobody gets 64-bit, Enlighten, or anything else. And then there can't be any more updates until Unity 6 is "complete" after another 2+ years. Yeah, no, that's absurd. Nobody wants that, except you apparently. So on the one hand you have a bunch of people who want roadmaps, and on the other hand you're saying they can't have roadmaps because you make yourself upset for some reason, when not everything is in Unity 5.0 and some things don't get done until later. That's just beyond nonsensical.

--Eric

Jaqal and duke like this.
  7. VicToMeyeZR

VicToMeyeZR

I didn't say everything. Where once did I say that? I said features you are advertising be mostly complete. WE can't have an honest discussion, if your going to make crap up.

8. VicToMeyeZR

VicToMeyeZR

I don't have a problem with how they release things. My problem is their pricing scheme mixed in with how they release things. and I know there are PLENTY of people that have problems with that

9. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

You did say everything, and you just said it again right there ("features you are advertising to be mostly complete", whatever "mostly complete" means). Either that or you want them to only mention 5.0 features and keep quiet about everything else, which directly contradicts everyone who wants to see roadmaps. When they've talked about Unity 5 features they've never claimed that absolutely everything was going to be in 5.0.

--Eric

10. VicToMeyeZR

VicToMeyeZR

Really? and I quote :
    Does that NOT say 5.0? not 5.1 or 5.2 or 5.4.5. It says 5.0, now a lot of that list "probably won't be in 5.0".

So you are selling a mostly incomplete product, with a promise. Whatever that means.

Mostly complete means to a layman, more features listed included then not... I don't understand how you don't understand the simple term

shkar-noori likes this.
  11. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

Pretty sure that list is going to be in 5.0. Do not work with the Unity Team so I am not 100% sure.

12. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Such as?

I understand the term, but it needs context which you failed to provide until now. It could have meant "the features themselves are mostly complete" (e.g., the initial implementation of, say, NavMesh was probably not what I'd call "mostly complete"). If you meant "more announced features included than not" you could have just said so instead of being vague. So judging by this list it does appear that 5.0 will indeed be mostly complete by your definition.

--Eric

13. VicToMeyeZR

VicToMeyeZR

Well lets just clarify then shall we?
    http://unity3d.com/5

Is that list in version 5.0? Is the list I posted that was the actually announcement list going to be in 5.0? If ANYTHING isn't going to be, then please post that, so we as customer know what we are actually getting for our money. Lets be honest, as with history, just because you say something is going to be in engine, if its not in 5.0 release, then nothing says it will actually be there.
    Can we please start to be honest and transparent? After all y'all are the ones asking for use to upgrade and pay a good bit of money for it.

14. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Based on what? As far as I can tell you're getting mad about stuff that hasn't even happened. And I take it you've changed your mind about "a lot of that list probably won't be in 5.0". Honestly, this is pointless.

--Eric

15. duke

duke

I agree that from what I remember, it was implied that we would see the new GUI system in 3.x, and an apology was made when it wasn't. How they handled it for the 4.x release cycle was great. They said it would be there sometime after 4.0 but before 5, and shared the progress they were making along he way until they released it for testing in its current form.

I like how open they are now as well. The blog posts have been amazing, and they're doing it knowing a group of muppets will claim, post 5 release, that all these things that were promised aren't there, even though many of he blog posts state that they are experimental features that probably won't be in 5. To alleviate this they could have some stronger branding with a title like Unity Next or Unity Labs, that would always be associated with the usual disclaimer. Even that may not be muppet proof...

16. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

The only thing that I have heard that will not be in 5.0 is the reflection probes. They never said it would be in 5.0 but the feature video might be slightly misleading if interpreted wrong. Only with the reflection probes though.

17. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

So, would you prefer them to say nothing at all, to be on the safe side?

But even in games, that happens ALL THE TIME... And since y and z as you're saying in Unity's case did come as add-ons for free, what is the problem exactly?

And indeed it wasn't promised (as I went through in one of my previous posts). They were however strongly hinting that it will come during the 4.x cycle, which it did, so... I don't see the problem here.

18. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

The reflections probes are in. Only the realtime convolving lightprobes might or might not make it, last we heard from Aras.

Baldinoboy likes this.
  19. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

Cool. So everything advertised in the Unity 5 page should be in 5.0.

20. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

I believe everything in that list is in (or at least I have no reason to believe it won't be in...). The only one I'm not sure is the "Real-Time Lightmap previews", which I assume refers to the Powervr raytracing. And even then that hardly qualifies as "a lot of that list".

21. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

So my reading of VicToMeyeZR's wish, is that he wants us to only talk about things that are 100% certain to be at some point in the future. That pretty much means "never talk about anything that's in the future" since, you know, predicting the future is hard.

22. duke

duke

No, he'd most definitely complain about that too.

23. VicToMeyeZR

VicToMeyeZR

^ yeah that's it.... Well done y'all. Way to be honest and try to have a conversation. Especially from an employee.

24. Zazibar

Zazibar

Any news regarding the pre-order beta? Between waiting for that and my Rift DK2 to ship I'm slowly losing my mind. :confused:

25. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

I'm trying, but you've yet to give me a decent argument or explanation on what "complete" is, how it would be possible and what the benefits would be.

What you've told me is basically you want them to "not talk about features that you're not going to include in the next version", which actually makes Aras' reply reasonable...

26. VicToMeyeZR

VicToMeyeZR

I never said that... My argument is, if there is 10 features they want for v5, don't release it with 5, and then not complete the 10 until 2 months before v6. Hold off on v5 for one year. Go to a 3 year cycle. Honesty if they are putting this much into v5, how much is fixing v4 bugs? They want us to pay for an upgrade, before they even complete promises on existing "features" for the current version. No one else find that odd? I know everyone I talk to does.

They are going to include uNET (at least said they will), but how much of a game using uNET can you really complete until the 3rd release of uNET? They will be selling v6 before uNET is even complete.. Will probably still have plenty of bugs, but will not update v5 once v6 has been updated. Is that incorrect? Same with GI, you get a small portion of GI, but not all of the planned features until who knows when.. We are paying for a lot of promises, that honestly can be broken at any time (please do tell me history hasn't proven they have done this, so I can prove you wrong)

Trigve likes this.
  27. VicToMeyeZR

VicToMeyeZR

I would actually prefer the roadmap, so I know EXACTLY what I am really buying. Who really knows?

Trigve, shkar-noori and Baldinoboy like this.
  28. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

I think I see your point, but there is something I don't understand. Yes usually .0 releases are a bit rough (and I am talking about ALL software not just Unity), they are usually followed up by a .1 "we just fixed all the bugs for all the things we broke!" then by a .2 "oh I think we got all the regressions this time" and .3 "here are all the features that weren't ready and support for that new OS you wanted".

Now specifically in the case of Unity, it really does mature at the .5 release (I have a lot of love for Unity 3.5). At .5 releases most major bugs are fixed and most features are refined. I mean they re-wrote Umbra, I don't even know how many times before it got to a state where it was actually a really good feature.

But here is what I don't understand, what you're saying is, they should release nothing, work to get to the point of a .5 (at least as I described it) and release that as a .0. Right? But what is the harm to us if they release all the previous versions?

And if you are bothered by "incomplete" products, just upgrade when Unity is at the .5 of its cycle, or when you consider it to be complete.

I like learning all the features early, while working on a game. I can also request specific weird bug fixes or features that they wouldn't have caught or implemented otherwise. And by the time I am ready to release a game, the engine has matured a lot.

29. VicToMeyeZR

VicToMeyeZR

I am bothered that they quit working on the previous version, when they release the next version. Isn't there still bugs in v3? If they continued improvement on v4 through the v5 active lifecycle, then I wouldn't be bothered by the 2 year cycle.

SO for your $1500 you get basically 6 months of a feature complete engine and bug fixes

30. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

3.5.7 (and even earlier than that), at least for iOS and PC development was very solid.

31. VicToMeyeZR

VicToMeyeZR

ok, I guess we will see what happens with 4.6 and uGUI. My hopes are up anyways

32. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

They don't. They didn't stop work on 3.x after 4.0 was released, and they won't stop work on 4.x after 5.0 is out. In fact they mentioned 4.7 and 4.8. Now I'm not 100% convinced that all of that will actually happen—4.7 yeah, 4.8 seems like a bit of a stretch—but we'll see.

No, you get all the 5.x versions, and you don't pay $1500, you pay $750 (or $600 if you pre-order the upgrade). There are plenty of things in 5.0 that will be useful right away; there's no need to wait until the last 5.x version. You claim you want honesty, but I have to say I'm not seeing much on your side.

--Eric

33. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

Oh, your previous posts sounded like something completely else. I'm not sure I understand the reasoning though. What good would it do to anyone, if we just postponed 5.0 by a year (so all the new features that would be in 5.0 - everyone would just get them one year later)?

Quite a lot, I'd say... We do bugfixes and small improvements for 4.x each and every week, http://unity3d.com/unity/qa/patch-releases

shkar-noori likes this.
  34. VicToMeyeZR

VicToMeyeZR

If I didn't want it, what would be my motivation to try to make it better from my point of view? I wouldn't waste my time...

Its not about new features. I am guessing that you have been working on v5 for quite some time.. If your always working on the next big version (with a 2 year cycle you would have to be), then how much resource are you ~really, putting into the current one, to make it better? (which I believe is why uGUI was put off so much) I'm not saying there isn't work being done, I am just saying that selling the new version seem to be the priority, so current customer get left (maybe not all the way but they are) ^ You being an employee knows exactly what going on, so correct me if I am WAY off base, but I don't think I am.

I am also not saying that what is coming with v5 isn't awesome and that anyone wouldn't want it, what I am saying is, is it worth continuing the support of your business model... (for a hobby mostly guy).. That's what I have to decide, and why I am focused on this issue.

35. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

I do think you're not quite correct (but hey I might be biased).

From what I remember, majority of engineers were working on 4.x between 3.5 and 4.3 inclusive. That is, after 4.0 was out, most people continued to work on 4.1, then 4.2, then 4.3 (all of which were free updates to 4.x!). Then around that time, people started working on 5.0 stuff "a bit more", but still a lot of people kept working on 4.5. After 4.5, the UI team kept working on it (obviously), and people do bugfixes for 4.x (which is not "a lot of people").

TL;DR: after a major release is out, absolute majority of people keep working on X.x versions of the same release for at least one more year. After 5.0 is out, people will spend a lot of time working on 5.1 and 5.2 and so on.

But if that were the case, then we'd ship 3.0 and 4.0 and 5.0, and do no new features in between, right? Whereas 4.x had a lot of new stuff coming in 4.1, 4.2, 4.3, 4.4 (consoles only), 4.5 and soon 4.6.

The reason why new UI dragged out for so long has nothing to do with trying to upsell new versions. It was a project of several delays and restarts, due to, well, a lot of messy things. We're sorry about that.

36. pauloaguiar

pauloaguiar

Reasons why the software is so expensive?

37. VicToMeyeZR

VicToMeyeZR

well ok. That's an answer I can deal with then. Thank you

38. iMob

iMob

Is this software expensive? For hobbyists/indies never earn money with there projects it is of course a lot of money. But for those there is a free version out. You can make money with it. With a free version.
    If you have a little team or a professionel studio, the price of Unity is a joke. Think of the prices of the other software you need for game developement like Maya, Photoshop and so on. And do not forget the employees wages. That are the really high costs. Not Unity.

carking1996 and Jonny-Roy like this.
  39. Jonny-Roy

Jonny-Roy

I'd just like to say this thread has got a bit complainy, I'd just like to say thanks to the Unity team for doing such an awesome job, Unity 5 is looking amazing, and while we are all very excited, I think we can all agree it's worth the wait for a solid and stable release.

Jaqal, carking1996 and IOZO like this.
  40. iMob

iMob

Another thing to the price of Unity:
    It is like with stocks at the stock exchange: If you expect a big profit with it, you pay a bit more.
    That is why UE is so cheap. ;)

Last edited: Oct 6, 2014
  41. bizilux1

bizilux1

is there any chance at all to get into Unity 5 Beta?

the reason that i am asking, is because me and my partner are making next gen 3d modular buildings pack, so far we are almost done with factory buildings pack.

(next gen meaning Physically based shaders) we use textures from http://gametextures.com/

so yeh we would like to see how it looks in unity 5, test some stuff, and play around with it a bit, etc etc... so can some moderator reply please, if i should write support ticket or its like impossible to get into beta?

i know that some developers have it :)

42. Roni92

Roni92

Hey, what about multi-scene editing in editor, or at least possibility to open one project in two Unity's instances with different scenes opened, we really need this feature at work. And question regarding GI, what with non static objects? Will 5.0 have dynamic light probes(automatic placement in appropriate positions)? And are other light sources than directional are sure feature in 5.x Unity cycle?

43. AlteredPlanets

AlteredPlanets

yea I would suggest everyone to be patient for unity 5 , we want the most bug free release and feature packed version possible.

Hopefully around December :)

Last edited: Oct 11, 2014
  44. Steviebops

Steviebops

I was hoping the black vertex problem in skinned cloth would be fixed by now, sadly, it hasn't.

45. Mitch_B

Mitch_B

What are the NavMesh improvements in 5?

46. AlteredPlanets

AlteredPlanets

yes there is nav mesh improvements in unity 5

47. violinbg

violinbg

Same here, but I'm playing with the 4.6 beta meanwhile :)

48. edredar

edredar

Hello guys, I have few questions about PBR in Unity5 and in general)) I've watched all the videos on official channel, but I cannot figure out one thing. How are textures now made? Diffuse and specular I mean. They are used for pbs, so where we could get the values for roughness? Again then, 0 means rough and 1 means smooth. 0 for what? Is zero interpreted as black, when 1 as white?

49. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

Roughness can be any value you want; all of them are "correct". For example, imagine some metal - depending on how polished the surface is, it can be very smooth or very rough; or anything in between. 0 is "black" and 1 is "white" in that texture, yes.

shkar-noori likes this.
  50. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

Can we get the change log for every beta release?? at least we know what's happening :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.