Search Unity

Unity 5 is coming and more!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Aurore, Mar 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

2. creat327

creat327

yeah... but no ETA, for what I know they've been working on it since unity 3.x. I was really hoping 5.0 was a huge improvement on terrain already. We've been waiting years!
    I focus on mobile right now, and it seems all big improvements coming out are for desktop/consoles :(
    I hope unity announces that the terrain will be a big improvement for 5.1 and not some "in the future" time frame because it seems it will turn into 2 to 3 years. Sorry for the rant but I've been reading terrain complains and "we've working on it" since I joined unity community on 2.x, and zero progress so far.

3. shkar-noori

shkar-noori

I will be really disappointed if the terrain and/or the Input system's *improvement* will be released in a 6.x instead of 5.x, what I think on Unity 5.0 :
    1. Geomeric's Enlighten integration is awesome, of course if they don't cut-down the features and give us what they gave to Frostbite.
    2. The *new* rendering pipeline is good.
    3. the IL2CPP approach looks promising.
    4. the NavMesh/Mecanim updated were needed.
    5. Audio Overhaul is pretty.
    6. Where is the Build-In Decals? *It was not promised, but seriously? no decals?*
    7. 64 Bit Editor should've been around for years.
    8. No update to the image effects? come on.
    9. No Material editor, but with the new Standard shader and ShaderForge it's pretty much solved.
    10. PhysX 3.3? seriously? that should've went in 4.0.
    11. no input improvements?
    12. no big terrain improvements?
    13. I can't play high quality video files?
    14. SpeedTree integration is awesome.
    15. .....

I really like Unity and I don't want to let it go, but I'm having a really bad time convincing my client and/or team to use Unity over Unreal, the pricing is not a problem for us. I do really hope that they have more to offer in 5.0 than 5.0 beta, and I hope that 5.x won't be a let down, I personally think that Unity should implement more middle-ware stuff, I'm willing to pay extra for those feature or if I have to buy from the publisher of the product then use it in unity, stuff like YEBIS 2 or APEX are somestuff that people would like to have.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2014
  4. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

Bbbut, PhysX 3.3 is the latest version...

shkar-noori likes this.
  5. shkar-noori

shkar-noori

Bbbbuuuutttt, I meant Unity 4.0 :confused:
    and as you're a graphic's developer, are we getting any updates for Image Effects in 5.0?

6. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

As far as I know, Global Fog got improved (matches regular fog modes, etc.). New light shafts may or might not ship (but the full source of current iteration is on github: https://github.com/robertcupisz/LightShafts)

Nothing else as far as I know - whole graphics team is busy doing PBS, Enlighten, Deferred, ReflectionProbes, Skyboxes, FrameDebugger, Cubemaps, HDR, Speedtree, shader improvements etc. Additionally, some others are working on terrain & similar things for post-5.0 releases. So, "image effects" upgrade will have to be post-5.0 too; right now everyone already has way too much on their plate.

fffMalzbier and shkar-noori like this.
  7. shkar-noori

shkar-noori

Thank you for the reply. a little more to know on what you're doing 'now' is always better. as you say we should have a lot more features after 5.0, which is nice. I 'for myself' am really looking forward for the graphics team to look into a Decal system.

8. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

There's a plan somewhere to make our roadmaps/plans public. Hopefully soon.

ImpossibleRobert and shkar-noori like this.
  9. shkar-noori

shkar-noori

Hopefully soon as possible.
    and what about this article that was written in 2012 about APEX integration?
    is this something that you may still consider?
    in the talk nVidia said that they Integrated APEX runtime into unity, and was actually used in the butterfly effect demo, so what happened? so as for DX11 Hair & Fur shading? they went off the radar?

Last edited: Sep 13, 2014
  10. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

I don't think we ever promised we'd integrate APEX. We tried integrating it for the 2012 butterfly demo. To be frank, we "did not quite like it" and it was causing so many problems that the final demo probably did not even use it.

shkar-noori likes this.
  11. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

That was just a couple shaders that nvidia wrote. It's their IP, we can't release them (nvidia could though - though they are really not that different from any "dx11 fur/hair shader").

shkar-noori likes this.
  12. shkar-noori

shkar-noori

thank you for clearing things up.

13. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

I hope this is happen really really soon....... since i kinda curious what plan for unity in the future...
    Speaking of, there's 2 stuff in unity that kinda outdated and bit left out. LensFlare and Halo, any plan to upgrade those two???

shkar-noori likes this.
  14. Gob Bog

Gob Bog

Can i will be able to export my project from unity 4.0 to unity 5.0

15. fffMalzbier

fffMalzbier

Export may be the wrong word but upgrade , yes that will work, maybe some little changes are necessary to your code (or even physics?) but nothing impossible.
    Make backups before upgrading in case something is going wrong.

Gob Bog likes this.
  16. pauloaguiar

pauloaguiar

In this case of the new "WheelCollider" in unity 5.0 need to upgrade the current "WheelCollider" to the new one, or automatically rename it? and manually need to setup the values of the new "WheelCollider"? and the same for other related physics settings.

17. Roni92

Roni92

You'll need just to reconfigure it(change friction values etc) as they will work completely different from old ones.

18. Brainswitch

Brainswitch

As I understand it (although I might be wrong), PhysX 3.3 replaces the old/current PhysX which means the new WheelCollider as well replaces the old/current WheelCollider. The same goes for other upgrades/improvements in PhysX - you will need to tweak the settings with regards to the new system.

shkar-noori likes this.
  19. pauloaguiar

pauloaguiar

Cool. I hope they share more information about the new physics.

shkar-noori likes this.
  20. pauloaguiar

pauloaguiar

I'm curious, in the new physics "WheelCollider", the video of the conference, says that the suspension will be more realistic. So that means i do not need to create script to simulate the wheels and suspension?

I do not know if I was very clear, but if not please tell me.

21. Roni92

Roni92

You already don't have to program anything to make suspension work, but they mentioned something about updating wheel's mesh(visual) automatically so you probably won't have to do this via scripting. I guess youll have to just set reference for mesh wheel and it will rotate and position this mesh respectively to "physical" wheel. Nice addition to have but not really a new feature.

22. pauloaguiar

pauloaguiar

I mean the wheels and suspension moving up and down corresponding the terrain or object, only via scripting using raycast. That was i´m trying to figure out if that is included in the new wheelCollider, whit out scripting do that behavior.

23. shkar-noori

shkar-noori

it's been almost 4 weeks since Unite, and on the Unite event they said Unity 5 Beta will go public in 4 - 8 weeks, and this means we have max 4 another weeks for a public U5 beta, and I think summer is over, where is Unity 4.6f [I dont even want to use it after Unity 5 is done, but I'm just curious to know about the release date]?

24. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

As always, it's done when it's done. They have beta19 coming up soon; it was supposed to be out sooner but they found some unexpected problems. The release date depends on issues found in that beta, and any possible future betas, and any of the possible final candidate versions, which is why they never have given any specific release date for any version of Unity ever.

No. The 4-8 weeks was a general estimate and it could be longer. It might very well not be, but please do not start posting "where is it" questions if it happens to go past 4-8 weeks.

--Eric

shkar-noori likes this.
  25. shkar-noori

shkar-noori

Let them have another infinite weeks for 4.6, it really doesn't matter anymore, and ofcourse nobody would use a half-baked product with joy, so we'll let them finish it.

and for 5.0's 4 - 8 weeks where is it questions, sure thing boss.

26. Roni92

Roni92

Heh, it looks like 5.0 will be available earlier than 4.6 :eek:!

27. Ricks

Ricks

That would be awesome!

28. Roni92

Roni92

.. And that would be Strange! xd

29. kurylo3d

kurylo3d

Quick question.

Do you guys have a way to blend between probes cubemaps yet like that game remember me? With weights per cube map and all that? Based on location...

http://www.fxguide.com/featured/game-environments-parta-remember-me-rendering/

Scroll down to the section passed the middle of the page titled "Reflection System"

Would be kind of lame if poof the cubemap changes instantly... plus this method also would remove cubemap seems from room to room.

shkar-noori likes this.
  30. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

I have a question for those using the beta or working in Unity 5. What is going to happen with the Unity Tree Creator system in Unity 5? Is it still going to be supported with Speed Tree in the picture?

31. lazygunn

lazygunn

It's not strange. Unity 5 brings some pretty intense changes that could well completely mangle an existing large project - essentially the upgrade is not an option for many serious projects, some, or many, popular assets in the store could just plain break too. It's a huge update and a very welcome one that i really really hope comes to public beta soon as it marks the point at which I can start doing some 'serious' things finally, as the new features finally address issues that stopped my ability to do these things, and the sooner Unity make it available, the sooner my bought assets will be updated and in what I consider being a time-critical field (VR, not just to claim territory but to make software that solidifies the technology as absolutely impossible to ignore, in a very practical non gaming context), i see important timeframes in weeks rather than months. But i'm not gonna bitch if things are delayed, they should get this perfect as they can

4.6 support addresses a bunch of features that should have been in god knows how long ago and brings the 4.x cycle to a very strong point, additionally it should be much more harmonious with existing Unity projects and offer a good feature set to get things based on that cycle out of the door without having to deal with Unity 5 being a bit different at them

I suppose principally it's asset things ive spent quite a lot of money on being updated i'm most hankering after - after having been given a good idea about enlightens abilities, especially with the raytraced preview on the cards, im very confident it will satisfy, and the whole vs Unreal thing I want to keep irrelevant. I know Unity, i like Unity, i've invested a bunch of time (which i do have) and money (which ive had to do without other things in life for) in Unity and I think its most suitable, and with the idea i've gotten from my exposure to Unity 5, and established investment in Unity, it's going to kick arse

32. kurylo3d

kurylo3d

curious if theres a roadmap of features anywhere for unity5 ? 5.1... etc...

33. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

We're working on some solution to make internal roadmaps public. Soon(ish).

34. shkar-noori

shkar-noori

still waiting for the public roadmap. hanging on the blog posts and the forum replies for now.

35. kurylo3d

kurylo3d

Nice, I was actually curious about this oculus rift VR support. Any more details about that? Is it coming in the first release of unity 5? The 3d audio support... how is that different from what we have now? Not really understanding. if a sound happens at your left do we hear it at the left right now?

36. Ricks

Ricks

Is it worth to upgrade to 4.6 open beta now, or is it better to wait for the final release of 4.6 at this point (it's b19 already... how much longer can it take?), or will Unity 5 open beta even come in 2 weeks anyways? :confused:

I need the new uGUI, but I'd prefer a more complete experience, instead of upgrading the project 3 times in a row.

37. Archania

Archania

Pick up 4.6 beta and learn it. To be honest it is very stable and the basics are all right there so go play!
    And since 5 will have the gui, why not learn now?

shkar-noori likes this.
  38. jonas-echterhoff

jonas-echterhoff

Unity Technologies

We plan to ship Oculus Rift support for Unity Free in a 4.5 patch release.

For more information on new Audio features in 5.0, check out this blog post and this Unite presentation.

Baldinoboy likes this.
  39. kurylo3d

kurylo3d

Nice, when do u think thats going to be? I'm about to start playing with my rift for the first time.

40. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

I am looking forward to Unity 5 myself, and there is one thing that REALLY bugs me right now and that is with substances. I have been using Substance Designer for some new effects and I have noticed that the Substances are capped at 2k which is something of a limit for my current project (An entire character on a single UV map) and I was hoping for Unity 5 that this limit would be increased to 4k, especially since my character textures are at 4k and look really good.

I did speak to someone at Allegorithmic about this and it would have to be handled on the Unity end of things to raise the limit to 4k and use the CPU engine which allows this 4k limit to happen. If you guys want higher fidelity for your games and engine, this will be a great step to take. Think you guys could make this happen?

41. VicToMeyeZR

VicToMeyeZR

So like 5.6 when you are selling us v6?

42. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

Dayuumm really hope that's not happening :/

43. VicToMeyeZR

VicToMeyeZR

That's what they did with v4? Its rediculous to even sell a version that isn't even ready (ie. "that will not be in version v5 but v5.x") If you have a list of features that you want in a major version, then release it when its in it. Especially if they are expecting us to pay for major versions every 2 years.

44. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

Wait... are you really suggesting we only do X.0 releases? Like, "here's 5.0, and there will be no new features in 5.1 or 5.2 or 5.3 or 5.4"?!

45. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Yeah, you are not allowed to add more features and bug fixes for free after release!

But more seriously, I guess a lot of people are a bit peeved off with the GUI system, which was promised at 4.x launch then was pushed back and then pushed back again.

It did come though and it was for free, so I don't really understand all the outrage.

46. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Except there were absolutely never any promises that it was going to be in any version, until 4.6 was announced.

--Eric

47. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Fair enough, promised was the wrong word.

With that said: it was on the roadmap for 3.5 (which in all fairness did come with a warning that this is just features we'd like to include).

Then it was shown on Unite 2012 (again in fairness, it was under a segment that was about more long term experimental stuff).

But then 4.0 came without it and the upgrade guide from 3.5 to 4.0, in the section about the change of where children inherit the parent Game Object Active state, says at the end: "Also, the upcoming new GUI system heavily depends on the new 4.0 behavior". (emphasis mine).

And then in Unite 2013, there was a segment called "The State of (New) GUI in Unity 4.x".

So yes, promised was the wrong word, but with how Unity handled it (especially with the last two examples I gave, which are not promises, but are REALLY strongly implying that it's coming in 4.x), I really can't fault people for expecting it during the 4.x cycle.

Which in the end happened and everything is fine.

48. Hesham

Hesham

Now that Yosemite has gone GM, I have feeling Unity 5 will be with us soon :)

49. VicToMeyeZR

VicToMeyeZR

No, I am suggesting, that you should be handling an engine release like a game release is done. We don't what a game with levels released every other month. You should have at least a "Mostly" complete version on release. You know you are not. When you sell a subscription based service, they is NO value in it how you release things. time = money in subscriptions.

50. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

LOL..Doubt there is a connection and Yosemite not public

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.