Search Unity

Unity 5 is coming and more!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Aurore, Mar 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Yeah. And it's still holding the world back.

2. goat

goat

Why is that? Holding the world back is if suddenly 32 bit software you depended on no longer worked. The gaming world has their island world of 64 bit consoles.

3. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Because all apps and games benefit from being able to access more than 3-4gb of ram. Of course this means catering to the lowest common denominator, otherwise your app requires multiple versions, more investment etc. All because MS still sell 32 bit os to consumers who don't need it, but unfortunately get it bundled.

64 bit windows is compatible with 32 bit software. It's only a driver problem, not a software problem. Thankfully, Apple is leading. Perhaps ms can follow.

4. goat

goat

But then Apple has control of it's HW and lags MS HW. When MS SW and drivers lag it's not because of a lack of effort on MS's part but the HW manufacturers. Intel and Asus abandoned SW support of my EP121's Intel HD Graphics not much longer than a year after manufacturing it. That I have a driver at all for the GPU has more to do with Microsoft than Intel. I have to resort to some hackware called 'ThrottleStop' because the HW stays throttled at 650 MHz without it. And this from a modern machine that supports 64 bit through & through. If it weren't for MS I'd have to had to have thrown out this machine at the beginning of 2012, thank you Intel. And Intel is one of the massive HW manufacturers with a sterling reputation. Care to round up all those other HW and SW vendors MS has to deal with?

5. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Yes, another thing is the amount of poor kids who got a suck-tastic 32-bit netbook for their birthday... ;)

And if you guys ended 32-bit support, it mean I wouldn't be able to make my games for such notebooks anymore... :(

6. goat

goat

You can't buy 32 bit anymore unless it's a Android ARM tablet or Google ChromeOS device can you? Even Atoms are 64 bit now I think.

7. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

the new atoms are, but my older n270 atom isn't... :(

And I am sure a lot of kids still have netbooks (if they got laptops at all...) and most of those most likely have this atom. it really isn't the atom's fault for being so sucky, it's more the GMA accelerator...

Anyway, let's close this topic and get back to Unity 5. It's what this thread's about, right? :)

8. shkar-noori

shkar-noori

any new info about anything in U5?

9. pauloaguiar

pauloaguiar

Agreed is a long time i don´t see any news from U5.

10. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

I think once they bring out 4.6, they might reveal more about U5, since they probably won't have to worry about the 4.x cycle anymore.

11. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

Also they were busy for E3 i think..

12. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Wait, UT show off at E3? I actually didn't know that... o_O

13. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

Well...maybe :D

14. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

Unity 5 is being very much developed. Right now nearing end of alpha-testing phase, we hope to start beta-testing soon. Random chunks of upcoming technology are blogged about on the blog: http://blogs.unity3d.com/

AlteredPlanets and shkar-noori like this.
  15. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

No sneak peak anymore ??

16. shkar-noori

shkar-noori

that's actually very good, but as @rea said, no more sneak peaks? cause we haven't heard any more info since the teleporter and uNET

17. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

That would be nice. mind if some of us became beta-testers? ;)

Just kidding, we are probably not qualified... :)

18. shkar-noori

shkar-noori

we pre-ordered Unity 5, and have been around for nearly 5 years now,can we apply for beta testing? if so, how?

19. Ostwind

Ostwind

how many detailed bug reports have you made during that time? I think they mainly accept users that have good bug reporting history or generally benefit them from being in beta (feature rich/complex projects etc)

20. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

True I agree, as usually with most betas people are not selective and they let in 90 percent noobs with no bug reports or forums counts and I say forum posts as its good to be active member in community and help others. This way these people will usually help out the most as they been reading things and are always up to date with this.

Lets not forget about the big game studios and companies who got loads of cash. They are indeed a priority to beta test but they stay away from these things as there is worries and plus it takes them long time to mature on any new version. So its a game of waiting let someone else handle the bugs and when the build is mature adopt.

But having said this, I filed 4 bugs on 5/6 of this month almost 20 days ago and not one has been updated or looked at!
    If this is how slow things are then forget beta testing.

21. goat

goat

I'm not plugging myself as a Beta tester and I'm not really a noob, but those that are not OCR with a particular SW for their particular usage patterns tend to be good at finding bugs. Those that always take the train won't notice the problems encountered walking.

22. shkar-noori

shkar-noori

we do have some complex projects, but I guess we wont have a lot of time to report bugs [we do report bugs if they are critical to the community] because of our complex and code-heavy projects, cause we can't be sure if the bug is caused by unity, or a script in our project sometimes, so we only report the ones we're sure about

23. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

It would be nice if Unity allowed you to install Unity3d on more than two machines.
    Currently one machine Windows and one for Mac - this covers all mobile platform development.
    If one buys the full package of Unity5 etc, I really think ability to extend or install on more machines is needed.
    For a small Indie studio or small team (5 people or so) very difficult to afford additional licenses.
    Two people can be fully working at one time while others do something else.
    Technically I think maybe need double licenses.
    Wish we could install on least 4 machines would be great.

Sorry not read whole thread so not sure if things will or have changed with Unity 5.

Please share thoughts?

24. Devil_Inside

Devil_Inside

I don't think you're even allowed to have it on 2 machines if someone else is using your second install.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2014
  25. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Correct, Unity licensing is per-seat. The point of being able to install on 2 machines is so the user can do things like have a desktop and laptop for developing, and work on either as convenient. If you have 5 people on the team, and all of them are using Unity directly, then you need 5 licenses.

--Eric

26. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Maybe I didnt explain properly what I meant, Yes install it on laptop and desktop for developing thats correct (2machines owned by same person) but who to stop friend programming with me on same machine I get of seat and he takes on and edits code, stop being so harsh and bloody corporate all the time, always trying to block the small guys!

So can someone answer the question, Unity 5 has same rule as current or any plans to change..

27. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

@MrEsquire: Hi there, I see what you are trying to do. I was also considering this, as iOS publishing was never supported on windows... :(

And Yes, having two dev machines would be handy, especially if one machine is more capable than the other, or, in your case, on two different OSes entirely for publishing reasons.

And couldn't you just activate two unity pro licenses with the same key? that would be convenient for those who don't want to pay $3000 to do so... ;) Unfortunately, in the Unity5 licensing department, i am not much help, as there is still nothing else revealed yet...

28. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

In a coporation it is duty of company to buy license for every employee developer, they do the job on the one machine given to them and then go home and forget about things - go do personal stuff.. Firstly with every big company the more license one buys the bigger the discount (there no mention of discounts if one buys more than set number licenses) So developers do not need to worry as someone in dep takes care of this.

Ok now back to people like us indie,hobby,startup people. We probably have more then two computers at home as exactly what you say above, I have Windows and two Macs, this is insane to think I have choose one of them and pay over 5000usd with all mobile addons,unity forgets to add the little check box at the buttom called VAT.. Of course if one pays for iOS pro then like you said its no go with windows.

Anyway going offtopic now just want a official answer from Unity for the below two.

Is there discount for buying set amount of licenses? bulk deal?

Will the rules remain same for Unity 5 as Unity 4??

29. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

The only tower computer I have is an old windows 98 machine... :p I also have one Dell Mini 9 for testing, and my school laptop as my main dev computer.

And I think once they bring out 4.6, they might reveal more about Unity 5. Hopefully, the news that comes fulfills your requirements... ;) I also hope they will at least let us indies bake GI in free! :)

And if one of the moderators or UT members get on, they may help answer your question about volume licenses. In fact, the one thing that comes to mind when I type that is, believe it or not, Microsoft's generosity... :) I know this from working with VirtualBox and a volume licensed copy of windows 8 at my TAFE college. (Come on UT, looks like Microsoft beat you to it!!! :p)

30. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

Will the terrain have physically-based shading in U5?

31. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

Well i think it should if we want to get uniform lighting all across the scene...

Deleted User likes this.
  32. AlteredPlanets

AlteredPlanets

Any idea when unity 5 beta will be out?

shkar-noori likes this.
  33. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Nope... UT haven't revealed much lately. maybe they are lighting a graphics rocket right now... :D But more likely, they are working on 4.6, once that's done, they may reveal more as they would have their full time on U5. At least I think that's how it goes... ;)

34. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

They are still on Alpha stages yet alone betas.

35. AlteredPlanets

AlteredPlanets

Hello,

Any news on a Unity 5 release?

36. Play_Edu

Play_Edu

Hi,
    Any news about DX 11 in Unity 5 ?

shkar-noori likes this.
  37. Ricks

Ricks

Unity 5... I'm usually patient about upcoming releases, but... can it come already?

38. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Nope. Anytime someone says "Are we there yet?" they push back the release by another day. ;)

--Eric

Moonjump likes this.
  39. AlteredPlanets

AlteredPlanets

40. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Well, I won't say anything then. How's about we stop posting "are we there yet" posts? ;)

@Eric5h5: interesting... :D

41. Murgilod

Murgilod

Is Enlighten going to have forward rendering support. If no, are we just not getting it in Unity Free or will we also be getting deferred rendering in Free?

42. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

Pretty sure Enlighten is fully deferred and is going to only be in Pro. I have heard Unity 5 is going to support fully deferred rendering but since the Unity Team has more focus on mobile there will still be forward lighting for sure. The Indie lighting will probably stay as it is now.

One thing is for certain. Enlighten is sick and I am going to grab the 30 day pro trial right away to try it out.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2014
  43. Murgilod

Murgilod

Unfortunately, all my plans for anything that'd use Enlighten would have to be hybrid rendering to get it to work with any of the shaders I'm working on so *fart noises*

44. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

I am most likely wrong in anything I say so let us wait for the Unity Team to give us a yay or nay with this.

45. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

Last info I know that's not yet decided.

46. fffMalzbier

fffMalzbier

The problem is , when Enlighten is replacing beast for lightmap baking, unity free wound have a significant lost in function if the Enlighten would be pro only.

47. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Correct! I think... :D
    And yes, putting baked GI into Unity free at least will make me happy! But if they went and put the whole shebang in for us... :eek:

48. Dark_Ansem

Dark_Ansem

Do we know system requirements of Unity 5 yet?

shkar-noori likes this.
  49. Murgilod

Murgilod

Is Unity 5 going to have any floating origin support built in or am I still going to have to use various hacks for extremely large scenes?

50. Deleted User

Deleted User

I saw a post somewhere from a Unity guy saying not yet.

Also, is it out yet?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.