Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity 5 is coming and more!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Aurore, Mar 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PhobicGunner

PhobicGunner

Nope. Not really. Different workflow altogether - RGB is specular reflectivity, A is surface roughness. Whereas right now with the builtin Unity shaders it's RGB is diffuse color, A is specular amount.
    So it's not for backwards compatibility, that's for sure.

2. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

@PhobicGunner, Carpe Denius: Well, it's more likely that the PBR will be designed in a way so that you cold, theoretically, simulate roughness by using the right spec map. pretty much how any specular surface is made rough with the default shaders. for metalness, it be more like: "turn the spec up to make it shiny!" but probably not... ;)

3. steventheking01

steventheking01

I'm so excited for the new Unity!

4. PhobicGunner

PhobicGunner

Well, the whole point of PBR is that you have a surface roughness rather than a spec value, so I doubt it.
    Regular spec maps don't really work with PBR (I've tried).

5. Devil_Inside

Devil_Inside

I wonder if there will be a mobile version of the PBR shader, and how different it will be compared to the desktop version..

6. PhobicGunner

PhobicGunner

I think the Space Station demo was PBR. I'm certain of it, actually.

7. Devil_Inside

Devil_Inside

You mean that was a mobile-optimized version of the shader? I'd wish to know how different it is to the desktop version in terms of performance and quality.

8. PhobicGunner

PhobicGunner

I don't know if it was or not. We don't know if there's only one set of shaders, or two sets (one for mobile and one for PC).
    Hard to imagine there would be much different between them, though.

9. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

@PhobicGunner: Well, i thoink Lux supports straight spec maps... But anyway, let's just wait for this damn thing to come out, then evaluate!

10. PhobicGunner

PhobicGunner

Nope, Lux supports either specular reflectivity workflow (RGB spec color, A roughness) or metalness workflow. No straight spec maps.

11. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

mobile pbs might look like this (taken from the gdc 2014 presentation):

Working on mobile/low-end fallbacks

• Minimalist Cook-Torrance
    • Math baked into lookup texture; smoothness in mipchain
    • Fresnel approximation with 4.0 power
    • tex*Lod -> tex*Bias for DX9 SM2 / GLES2.0
    • No detail texture•...

12. pauloaguiar

pauloaguiar

I don't know if this is an appropriate place to ask.
    In one of the next versions of the unity 3d, if you thought to update the Input manager system, to something less confusing and simple to handle. So to say separate keyboard and gamepad controller, a visual more economical, less confused and more dynamic settings.

13. goat

goat

They are asking that in the Unity Gossip Forum along with 2D and Particle opinions from users. I don't now the ratios but the gossip section is far more active then the help sections.

14. Thavron

Thavron

I'm excited by the one-fits-all PBR shaders.

Maybe Unity 5 will provide some feedback on the shader's complexity (infos warnings on setting level)?
    Different quality levels for shader properties?

BTW: Does anyone know if Unity 5 will support Retina displays? A while ago someone at Ninja Camp added retina support to the Editor, but since then…

15. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

Unity is advertising the PBS standard shader in Unity free but you cannot achieve true physically based shading in gamma mode right? As far as I know linear mode is and is going to continue to be pro only.:?

Also is there anything about an improved terrain system in Unity 5? Kind of ready for something useable with the built in system.

16. PhobicGunner

PhobicGunner

Well, yeah, but then again did you really expect to have AAA shading available in Unity Free? I think not.

17. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

Well I'm not thinking AAA but maybe something close to last gen would be nice.

18. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Linear really isn't required though, it's nice, it makes it more usable, but it's far from being a requirement to perform PBS. It just means with gamma you get a less tweakery workflow (providing the PBS shader takes into account both lighting). You'd probably have trouble with off the shelf values, but you'd still be able to have pretty lush and consistent shading in the game.

I'd guess going pro would make life easier for you, which seems generally what Pro is about. I mean you can work around a lot of the limitations in free but many would like to pay the for the time = money thing. And I think that's not a bad way to go.

19. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

Yeah I understand. Lux still looks awesome in gamma. I will see in linear one day:D

20. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

I have seen it in linear before, back when 4.3 had linear space in by accident!

And if you want proof of good shading in Unity Free WITH gamma, I can post a screen of my current project if you like. If you don't, however... I will keep my mouth shut! :)

21. ikemen_blueD

ikemen_blueD

• Physically-based shading
    • Improved workflow efficiency by our new unified shader architecture
    • Real-time lightmap previews
    • Real-time Global Illumination with Enlighten
    Just read up to this, makes me smile already, can't wait for Unity 5. Unity, please consider the Mobile performance of these new shaders and lightmapping, I hope Enlighten will work on lightmapping texture compression. Right now, Beast lightmapping textures are not compressed very well, and decreasing texel resolutions is not fun to do!!!

22. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

@ikemen_blueD: They already have. UT got the new features working at a smooth 30fps on an android tab. In fact, i think they posted a clip in one of the first posts! (probably the beginning thread post, I can't remember which one)

Another good thing: the enlighten engine can use mobile and DX9, so that's a bonus for me.

23. tuxdude143

tuxdude143

So, is the 64 bit unity editor gonna be for pro users only? (I sure hope not.)

24. Deleted User

Deleted User

I'd be highly surprised if they didn't it would be a major headache trying to keep the two going.

25. pauloaguiar

pauloaguiar

I don't remember if I posted or not.
    In the new physics, colliders wheels will support 2-wheeled vehicles?

26. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

You did post this... and it would be nice to have two-wheel support. I got a bike script working a while ago, but it wasn't with wheel colliders and it doesn't quite work on slopes... :?

27. pauloaguiar

pauloaguiar

That´s sad:( I hope see two-wheel support in the future of unity. And of course not forget the new general vehicle physics (PhysX SDK v3.1x).
    The wheels Collider for now is poor, poor hard to handle, especially in the adherence of the vehicle, and control in collisions especially.

28. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

A Question....since unity 5 going full deferred (still didn't get what the differences) is there some kind of deferred subsurface scattering/translucency shader familly available in unity5 ?

29. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

@pauloaguiar: I actually got an arcade kart with wheel colliders working a while back. I should still have it somewhere, but of course, the only bug is that the collider physics

@rea: a translucency shader would be nice... :)

30. pauloaguiar

pauloaguiar

Agreed, Physics in general is buggy, poor, some settings hard to handle ever if in scripting.
    My current car game is the classic destruction derby, nothing i can do more for the car physics it self. Bad i can not add like Flatout 2 Cars physics, that would be awesome.

*A translucency shader , it´s look promising , but informally only for PRO i think :)

31. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

for pro only... Maybe, unless the translucency didn't use rendertextures. in that case, a free version would be possible. just a thought though.

And I agree with the physics. once the new engine comes out, I will see how my rigidbody controllers handle, as CCs (Character Controllers) are really poor to use with anything IMO.

32. jonas-echterhoff

jonas-echterhoff

Unity Technologies

No, it will be in Free as well (AFAIK, we currently plan to keep both 32 and 64 bit installers for windows and release 64-bit installers only for OS X).

33. pauloaguiar

pauloaguiar

I hope comes 64-bit for all. since i´m running unity 3D in 64-bit windows / machine

34. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

@jonas echterhoff: for the Mac user's sake, please don't. I have heard of numerous problems from 64-bit macs stuffing up really badly... :/ And of course, there are probably users out there not wanting to switch to 64-bit just because Unity is no longer compatible with their laptop! In this case, unless it is too hard a job to do, it would be better to have 32-bit builds for macs too.

And please never remove 32-bit windows support! My laptop really screwed itself over after the tech guys at my school decided to upgrade my 32-bit machine to 64-bit... :confused: And it hasn't really been right since!

Last edited: Jun 13, 2014
  35. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

I've never heard of anything like that; 99% of everything in my Activity Monitor is 64-bit. I kind of doubt there's anyone with a 32-bit Mac that's using Unity...everything Apple makes has been 64-bit for years, and it's required if you're doing iOS builds.

--Eric

36. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

In that case, stick to what you do best, UT. Just don't kill win32 support...

37. jonas-echterhoff

jonas-echterhoff

Unity Technologies

Yeah, There are only few intel-based macs which are not 64-bit. Anything built since mid-2007 is fine. Apple already stopped supporting 32-bit macs in OS X 10.7 in 2011, so it seems like a reasonable time for us to drop support in the editor. For Windows we will keep 32-bit support at least for now, as there are still many machines which need it (though deploying to WebGL will require a 64 bit machine).

38. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

How come WebGL needs 64-bit? I may count myself lucky then. Only sometimes, my computer is a real hard dog to satisfy... :p

39. jonas-echterhoff

jonas-echterhoff

Unity Technologies

We are using emscripten to cross-compile code to javascript, which itself depends on python and node.js and a custom version of clang. If we wanted to support both 32 and 64 bit, we'd have to supply and maintain the infrastructure to build all of these in both binary formats - which we don't think is worthwhile for a dying architecture at this point in time.

This is only for the build pipeline, of course. WebGL content runs fine on 32 bit machines.

40. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

I guess so. bye-bye 32-bit... :( Bye-bye custom drivers... :(

41. pauloaguiar

pauloaguiar

I think that in a few years the 32-bits will disappear little by little and be the 64-bit operating systems both as hardware. But of course it is desirable to keep alive the 32-bit clear
    This I think, is just a theory.

42. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

now there's a theory that works! now, all you need to do is clarify what you mean by 32-bit clear!
    Typed from my Pendo pad.

43. pauloaguiar

pauloaguiar

Sorry not clear, i mean "Live".

44. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Ok, thank you for clarifying it. Perhaps you were half asleep when you typed it... ;)

45. MakeITeasy

MakeITeasy

I can't wait to try it!!! :)))

46. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

Since....i've been post this in wrong thread, so....i moved it here :D

Can we get some detail about the new PhysX, especially cloth and skinned cloth (if exist).
    Can we use assets that has been authored by external PhysX DCC? (for God sake please make it so).
    Since skinned cloth editor is kinda unstable :(

47. Magiichan

Magiichan

Awesum! :3

48. Moonjump

Moonjump

Having lost alphabetical sorting with 4.5, it brings back to mind a question I asked before, but never got an answer to.

What features will be depreciated with Unity 5?

Last edited: Jun 18, 2014
  49. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

TBH ms need to stop making 32 bit OS support. 32 bit is just holding the entire computer industry behind. And people clinging to 32 bit in oceans of ignorance isn't helping matters.

When iOS goes 64 bit you have to reason that yeah, maybe 32 bit on desktop's had it's day.

Deleted User likes this.
  50. goat

goat

Given all the extremely expensive bespoke 32 bit software the government and big business has paid to have developed and support I wouldn't hold your breath.

There are industries and people that use SW for things besides gaming.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.