Search Unity

Unity 5 is coming and more!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Aurore, Mar 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goat

goat

OK, I was just letting you know Windows Store Windows Phone publishing will require you to upgrade Windows.

2. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

@goat:
    Your estimate is a little off... I actually have ADSL2+! And yea, 4mins is a bit exaggerated, maybe 10mins? still not that big a deal though! and for those whose downloads take 2 hours, I feel your pain! Once Upon A Time, I had a 3G Modem... ;)
    @PeterD: Ok... what was that supposed to mean? I can't see the joke... :D Anyway, isn't 4.5 the one with the new GUI tools?

Last edited: May 9, 2014
  3. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Nope.

--Eric

4. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

@Eric5h5: which one was it then? 4.6? And i forgot what 4.5 was supposed to have, other than a new shader building process

5. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

A million fixes and sparkles. 4.6 is GUI as far as I know.

6. shkar-noori

shkar-noori

and when are we getting these "million fixes and sparkles" ?? days?? weeks?? months??

7. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Not long now :)

8. shkar-noori

shkar-noori

oh come on........ its great even if Unity 5 comes out this winter... but I'm afraid that the new features will be in 5.2 or 5.4 .. 5.x... can we please get a little info on the initial features of Unity 5.?

9. pauloaguiar

pauloaguiar

In the next release, what's new besides the new GUI?

10. shkar-noori

shkar-noori

the next release is 4.5... i think its fixes and improvements..besides the improved shader compiler... and then its 4.6 which 'i think' is 4.5 + uGUI.

11. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

This topic is about 5.0. Look in the first post in this thread for the features.

--Eric

12. shkar-noori

shkar-noori

so you're saying everything is in 5.0 not the cycle of 5? right?

13. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Seems really clear to me....

--Eric

14. shkar-noori

shkar-noori

thanks alot.. i really hope that the 'bundle of joy' comes out soon!

15. TheDMan

TheDMan

So what in Unity 5 has been removed that was in Unity 4?

Also what in Unity 5 has had any feature, use, or aspect of a feature diminished or downgraded or made limited when compared to Unity 4?

(Ex: like how Unity completely screwed people using forward rendering lights and shadows)

You keep telling us about all the positives, but what about the negatives .... or do you plan to keep tight lipped until release day and then have developers mad again?

16. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

You can use shadows in forward rendering. For point lights and spotlights it requires a minor shader modification, so I'd say "slightly inconvenienced" would be more accurate than "completely screwed", but hey, why not take an opportunity to be overly dramatic!

--Eric

17. PhobicGunner

PhobicGunner

/ begin rant

I don't get why you are worked up.
    What about forward rendering and shadows? That you can't have point lights casting shadows?
    Why do you want point lights casting shadows in forward rendering?
    Think about it - forward rendering is not the way to go for high-quality games. If you're using forward rendering, you're likely targeting a platform that isn't very powerful. And if you're targeting a platform that isn't very powerful, why are you then complaining about lack of shadows for point lights? They're computationally expensive to do in forward rendering - you shouldn't be using them anyway, even if they were supported, on whatever platform you're building to.
    And if you're targeting high end PCs, then why use forward rendering at all? Deferred is the way to go.

/ end rant

18. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

But you can.

--Eric

19. shkar-noori

shkar-noori

we know that Illuminate Lab's Beast will be replaced with Geomeric's Enlighten... and about the forward and deferred lit.... u need more shadows? use Deferred.

20. TheDMan

TheDMan

You can. Now.

Not when it first happened though.

You are missing the point completely.

Its about UT boasting about the positive changes, and making sure to keep quiet about the negative changes. They kept hush hush when they removed forward point light shadows and it wasnt even a major version upgrade either. And frankly it was a stupid move. Some projects simply looked better and ran better on the old system.

So I want them to clearly and openly state all the changes (positive and negative) before I spend a single penny on upgrading. I want to know how my projects will be impacted, I want to know what changes in workflow I will need to make.

21. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

I'm still waiting for shadow and light support for transparency and particles...

22. PhobicGunner

PhobicGunner

Which isn't even possible with conventional shadow mapping, so... you're going to be waiting a while. At least until fixed-function raytracing makes it into consumer hardware (which isn't that far fetched... Imagination already has it, it's just a matter of NVidia and AMD picking up the tech for consumer GPUs)

23. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

Sorry should've made my post clearer, i mean semi transparency. Other game engine has it already :/, especially particle shading. Well maybe except UE4 for their transparent object.
    in Unity grabpass can't receive any shadow is a bit annoying

24. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

@Hippocoder: what kinda sparkles? The reason why it took so long for me to reply is because my "new post" notification for some reason isn't popping up anymore...

@Eric: So how is this shader modding done? I dare hope they can bake point lights soon... :D

25. PhobicGunner

PhobicGunner

Hm, I've got a question.
    Enlighten is a cool tech for making static-ish geometry receive realtime GI.
    Light Probes are a great tech for making dynamic geometry receive static GI.
    Is there any chance we'll see the two combined?
    There's a BF4 rendering tech paper which I believe mentions injecting the GI data from Enlighten into a volume texture which is then used as a light probe volume (each voxel is a light probe). So it would be great if we could have Enlighten GI data injected into our light probe set, allowing our dynamic characters and such to receive realtime GI.

26. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Can't really talk about upcoming patches other than it's probably better :)

27. MadJohny

MadJohny

I want a new splash screen, I find the actual one ugly. I would prefer white text against dark gray background or the opposite, or even full black, I think it would be so much better

28. zRedCode

zRedCode

Simply buy pro, and you have you custom splash screen.

29. landon912

landon912

But most of us don't want a big fancy custom splash screen, just one that doesn't look like a 1999 Atari intern made it. I'm definatly not going to pay $1500 to fix something that basic.

30. AlteredPlanets

AlteredPlanets

Guess I better be glad Unreal announced UE4 , or U5 will not have as near as many features as its projected to have.

Last edited: May 18, 2014
  31. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

@Hippocoder: Ok... :/ Guess it's a game of wait-and-see...

@PhobicGunner: That sounds interesting! the extremes First-person shooters go to to get realistic visuals... :D

32. Courvee Black

Courvee Black

Do you plan to, at some future time, procedural animation for humanoid characters, and, may be, non-humanoids? Something, that can create animation of characters inside editor, based on skeleton and muscles?

33. PhobicGunner

PhobicGunner

Doubt it. I really don't think that's the purview of Unity. It's a game development tool, not an animation studio.

34. ippdev

ippdev

I created a full procedural animation controller for combat and navigation with Mecanim IK and splines. Can create thousand of variants using less than a hundred base animations. If I had full control over the joints I could create a full procedural animator based on the same principles. What I really need is the IK to work in the Editor and I would release it on the Asset Store.

HTH
    -R

35. Midnight_Games

Midnight_Games

I don't know if there is any information out there, but what about the terrain engine and terrain shaders? Will there be an improvement in that area because lets face facts it is pretty bad compare to other engine i mean really bad. I see a lot of improvement in other area except the terrain engine, so i hope that you will surprise us with a new video showcasing the new Unity Standard TERRAIN. One can hope right?

36. fffMalzbier

fffMalzbier

See it that way : if you see a game is made with your software , that you put out for free, you probably would like a big credit for that right?
    If you are professional into game designing ,a software that cost $1500 is not that big of a deal.
    And if you can not get $1500 at one time , you can use the subscription method.

I think that's a fair deal.

37. Murgilod

Murgilod

The issue is that the Unity splash screen looks terrible.

38. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

@Murgilod: Well, I don't see it as Terrible, but I wouldn't mind a new splash screen, perhaps a spinning Unity logo made of metal in a white room! This would use 3D graphic, since Movie textures aren't supported in free version, unless UT have some magic left in their pockets... ;)

39. PhobicGunner

PhobicGunner

I really hope UT is watching this thread.
    What I really want to see is first person view models FINALLY supporting shadows.
    Seriously, it's mind boggling that UT hasn't solved this yet.
    Garry Newman encountered this when developing Rust, and he's got a write-up/rant about it on his blog which sums things up pretty much perfectly.

My understanding is that cameras generate a "shadow texture" that basically gets sampled in screen space and multiplied by light color. It would be nice if I could specify that, instead of a camera calculating its own shadow texture, it simply reuses the shadow texture of another camera (so my first person view camera would simply reuse the shadow texture of the main camera)

40. Murgilod

Murgilod

Technically, the only thing that keeps every feature from being active in Unity Free is the license file. UT could, theoretically, preface the entire launch with soft shadows, deferred rendering, render textures, a movie texture, and dynamic navmesh support.

41. PhobicGunner

PhobicGunner

Ah, for anyone interested UT did confirm that light probes will be automatically updated with Enlighten GI data.
    Awesomesauce :)

42. shkar-noori

shkar-noori

thank GOD. what about those HDR Reflection Probes, any info? and where did they confirm the GI Data for probes?

43. PhobicGunner

PhobicGunner

They did say that Reflection Probes will update dynamically as well as light probes:
    This was in response to a question I asked in the comment section of the Teleporter demo blog post.
    http://blogs.unity3d.com/2014/05/19/teleporter-demo/

Really quite excited :D

Last edited: May 21, 2014
  44. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

@PhobicGunner: Now THAT is awesomesauce! (quoting from your last post... ;))

Now to see if it's in free version... And yes, the feature set you have in whatever version is because of the license file. (I know because, even though they are SUPER GLITCHY, it is possible to use RenderTextures in the free version of the editor.)

45. Fuzzy

Fuzzy

Something that just came into my mind is. Unity 5 will feature pbr.
    But afaik there are 2 different pbr shader variations: metallic/roughness and specular/gloss
    Which one of these will U5 be using? If it hasn't been answered before.

46. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

specular reflectivity (rgb) smoothness (a)

47. Fuzzy

Fuzzy

Ah, okay good to know, thank you!

48. Devil_Inside

Devil_Inside

Is there any specific reason U5 won't use metallic/roughness?

49. PhobicGunner

PhobicGunner

Luck of the draw? Or maybe reflectivity style was cheaper?

50. Carpe-Denius

Carpe-Denius

Backward compatibility with specular maps? ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.