Search Unity

Unity 5 - Games running 40-70% slower on various android devices

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Sunwest3d, Mar 5, 2015.

1. Sunwest3d

Sunwest3d

Hello,

I have ported my game which is a 3d platformer from unity 4.6 to 5.0 today for android, everythign went so smoothly and quickly. I built the project with no errors and as a bonus the file was 5% smaller. Also somehow the loading time was halves.
    I am using a small terrain (no tree, 2 texture), skybox, platforms, no shadow, 1 light, a bit of physic, textures are small compressed fast 128 to 512 px)

Now the big issue, frame rate dropped by 40% on various android devices.
    Unity 4 Kindle fire HD = average 28 fps; => Unity 5: 16 fps
    Unity 4 Hudl 2 = average 56 fps; => Unity 5: 35fps

The projects are identical, I have double checked texture; texture compression, shader (all mobile/diffuse), 32 bit buffer. graphic setting, shadow setting, terrain setting.
    It is amazing how much faster it loads but then how slower it becomes.
    Yes I have tried using the profiler :) but since I don't have a reference i is difficult to tell.

I was so excited and I am somehow unable to continue on U5 since my goal was not to go to below 20-25fps on the low setting device Kindle Fire HD :(.

Anyone, any suggestion I would love to use U5 and may even get the Monthly subscription.
    Thank you,

2. cl9-2

cl9-2

Which shaders are you using, legacy vs standard? Do you know if the frame is affected by which set of shaders are used?

3. Sunwest3d

Sunwest3d

I am mainly using Mobile Diffuse for platform and object, on the terrain it is set to built-in legacy diffuse, should I use built in standard?
    I am uwing Particle additive/soft, and cartoon FX/mobile particle additive alpha8 and mobile/particle/additive.

To do texting is such a process because if I remove one thing at a time (terrain, audio, special fx, character) I need to have it run on Unity 4.6 and 5 on each device etc...).

Hopefulyl I will get to the bottm of it within 1 day or somene can provide more insight or else I will continue using 4.6 for now.

4. cl9-2

cl9-2

I'm not sure yet if there's a performance penalty on legacy shaders, but I'm curious to find out. Also I haven't yet used Unity's own terrain in a mobile project, I often import mesh terrains. For the time being, I have both Unity 4.6 and 5.0 on the same computer.

Good luck.

5. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

There is a thread about this on Android section already..Issue is present we need bug reports to be send to Unity for fix

Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
    wataruo and digitalMUTANT like this.
  6. Sunwest3d

Sunwest3d

digitalMUTANT likes this.
  7. tripknotix

tripknotix

for some reason i cant even get the sample assets to load on my kindle fire hd 8.9

8. Sunwest3d

Sunwest3d

Have you tried to Force Open GL 2.0?

Regarding my issues, I tried absolutely everything removing one thing at a time. Somehow on the Hudl frame rate improved well when I removed the terrain, but on the Kindle Fire HD it continued to run at like 21 fps with only a few object, no background, no special effect, no terrain, no fox, no UI or canvas, tried VSYNC values...

Is it possible that the GPU driver needs updating to work with new Physics 3 and 3d engine?

Spent 5 hours testing, I am losing faith.

Deanit likes this.
  9. tripknotix

tripknotix

ok i was able to get kindle fire hd working, on my own project, still doesnt work with their sample car project though.

What i noticed was my single core android device runs 15% slower, but on kindle hd it runs 30% faster (mind you i use half resolution on kindle hd because theres not enough power to push the pixels at fully resolution)

but from this i can probably assume that unity is now even more multithreaded than before, however the overhead for this multi threading takes a small hit on single core device, but a 30% improvement is huge for just a switch from u4 to u5 for dual cores. i bet the overhead is split between those cores too, only to assume it would be split even more among 4+ cores

MrEsquire likes this.
  10. GluedBrain

GluedBrain

I'm not sure if I'm the only one as I see no further discussion, is the issue solved in unity 5.1? My game, after porting to unity 5 is seriously slow in android.
    Is the issue fixed in unity 5.1?

11. TechiTech

TechiTech

The best thing to do is bk your project and open it up and see for yourself. The results might be different for your project than others.

If you could let us know your results that would be helpful.

Kind Regards
    TechiTech

12. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Do not think it is, see changelogs

13. Jonny-Roy

Jonny-Roy

Are you baking your lighting? If so untick Precomputed Realtime GI, it will slow things down at runtime.

For shaders, Legacy Deferred is a bit slower in 5, Mobile Deferred is the fastest, Standard will kill those devices.

Overall on a single core your performance should be better, I've seen weird issues with batching though so check your Setpass and Batching calls.

For the profiller if you run it profiling you can post a screen grab of the CPU usage section and I could probably guide you as to where the culprit is.

14. Sunwest3d

Sunwest3d

Thank you Jonny Roy for you help and advices, that is very kind.
    I have not been able to try any changes as the development of the App is too advanced now and Target release is in less than 30 days. I just use a simple directional light, no shadows.
    If you want to see how good it runs in U4.6, check out out our 3D Immersive brain training app game videos on our website:
    http://www.genfungames.com/

And like the FB page to keep updated and be the first to play that wannabe U5 app made in U4.6 ;):
    https://www.facebook.com/GenfunGames

I will have to pass on this app and upgrade at the next one in a few months hopefully. It is a shame because of all of the new great features we are all missing :(.

15. xxhaissamxx

xxhaissamxx

did anyone found solution or just back to 4.6 ?

16. tripknotix

tripknotix

App has been running faster in 5.2, but only when using standard shaders, i was using skyshop shaders before, and all versions of them seem to crash my device and run lower frame rates in 5.2, which is a shame. its a low end device though i doubt high end devices will have this problem, i did notice the device gets really hot with skyshop tho, and not very hot with standard shaders, i use the custom version of them with vertex color, and certain features removed for lower Shader LOD's . Goodluck to everyone else.