Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity 5 - Current .NET version and futur

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by MaT227, Nov 17, 2015.

1. MaT227

MaT227

Hi there,

Everything is in the title, I would like more informations about the current Unity 5 .NET version and what's coming concerning this topic.

I've seen a lot of answer but they almost concerns Unity 4 and are quite confusing (talks about Mono, .NET and C#). Any clear answer about that ?

Thanks !

Last edited: Nov 17, 2015
  2. LeftyRighty

LeftyRighty

this might help:

http://docs.unity3d.com/410/Documentation/ScriptReference/MonoCompatibility.html

there is an entry in the "research" section on the unity roadmap which I think applies too

https://unity3d.com/unity/roadmap

edit: should probably add I think they've only got IL2CPP on the ios builds so far, so it's not coming anytime "soon"

Last edited: Nov 17, 2015
  3. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

It's on most if not all platforms except desktop now.

4. LeftyRighty

LeftyRighty

oh, good to know :) been out of touch on the dev note releases

5. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Console ones aren't really available for finding much out about them, and android's got it now so I guess we'll get a new .net in Unity 6 - that's my guess. Pretty sure there's not much time left for Unity to get 5 stable and finished.

6. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

Note that the IL2CPP scripting backend is now available for iOS, WebGL, Android, XBoxOne and PS4 (as for the 5.2 release). The 5.3 release will add Windows Store Apps to that list. Some of these platforms are experimental now, but we expect them to start to be fully supported in the next release or so.

As for the larger .NET profile upgrade, watch the public roadmap, we'll update it as soon as we have firm versions where we plan to ship it.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
  7. fredz0004

fredz0004

Any updates on the .NET upgrade? I have a project in mind, and need some external DLL's not working with the current .NET version.

8. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

@fredz0004

We're working on it internally, but we don't have any timelines to share publicly yet, sorry.

9. Baste

Baste

Is there any public information about what version you're planning on upgrading to?

As in, are you trying to hit Mono 4.0/.NET 4.5? Or something older/newer? Or is that still not figured out?

@fredz0004, you could try to integrate this framework, which people talk about in this thread.

10. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

@Baste

Sorry, there is nothing public about this yet. We are still working out exactly which version we will upgrade to. It will likely be something in the .NET 4.5 range, but I don't want to say more until we have more firm details.

Baste likes this.
  11. mdrotar

mdrotar

What is the reason you wouldn't just automatically choose to upgrade to the latest .NET 4.6.1? Hopefully you're designing this in a way that makes future .NET upgrades easy.

12. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

@mdrotar

Since we don't know yet exactly what version we will use, I don't want to say publicly. However, we are planning to track the latest version of .NET with future upgrades, so we'll pick some suitable target version for the initial upgrade, then start to roll out more upgrades in the future.

The initial upgrade will be the biggest one though. We're planning things so that future updates after that will be much smaller and easier to do.

mdrotar likes this.
  13. Immanuel-Scholz

Immanuel-Scholz

You might want to fix the slight spelling error here, replacing the "t" with an "w". :D

14. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

@Immanuel Scholz

Fixed - thanks for pointing that out! That one letter really matters!

15. Bhearus

Bhearus

Any update on this? Seriously, maybe we can move it out of research and into development, it's been years..... For me, the upgrade would include TLS v1.2 network encryption.

16. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

@Bhearus

We have shipped a few preview builds of the editor with .NET 4.6 support. You can find them here: https://forum.unity3d.com/forums/experimental-scripting-previews.107/

We're working now on a preview build of .NET 4.6 support for the players.

rklausch likes this.
  17. gmatthews

gmatthews

Any update on this?

I'm hitting problems finding a Http Client that works in both Unity and Windows Store.

18. TaleOf4Gamers

TaleOf4Gamers

Unity 2017 which includes .net 4.6 now has a release candidate and is expected to be released this month. Give that a try.

fvde likes this.