Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity 5 beta lightmapping issues

Discussion in 'Unity 5 Pre-order Beta' started by thehosse, Oct 31, 2014.

1. thehosse

thehosse

Hey all,
    Have a couple of issues with Unity 5 beta and lightmapping. First I can't figure out how blend lightmaps and dynamic light together. So in the distance you have lightmaps with shadows and GI together and up close you have realtime light and baked GI. Anyone know where I'm going wrong? I've watched the Unite 2014 videos over and over again and simply can't figure out how this is done.

Also, When ever I do bake a lightmap Unity gives me the error "Lightmaps are in wrong colour space" I'm working in Linear colour space and Unity 5 seems to only bake out in Gamma. It gives me the option to change mipmap generation in Linear space but it seems to have no effect.

Please help.!

2. Dweep

Dweep

"Lightmaps are in wrong colour space"
    I also have this problem, cant seem to solve it :/

3. KEngelstoft

KEngelstoft

Unity Technologies

Hi! We are aware of the "Lightmaps are in wrong colour space" issue and it is not something you can fix yourself in beta9. We will provide a fix for it asap of course, as it is an important issue to get fixed.

the_motionblur and Dweep like this.
  4. thehosse

thehosse

Ok thanks.!

Are combined lightmaps and realtime light with baked GI achievable on Unity 5.0.0b9 ?

5. Kuba

Kuba

What you're referring to is Dual Lightmaps. We are not planning on supporting this mode in Unity 5 anymore. If you describe what is it that you want to achieve we can guide you on how to set it up in Unity 5.

6. thehosse

thehosse

Sent you a PM Kuba.!

7. topofsteel

topofsteel

Can you give a breakdown of what Non-Directional, Combined Directional and Separate Directional are and if there are any similarities to previous lightmap options. My previous workflow was linear color space and directional lightmaps. I would like to reproduce that then work into the new features. Thanks.

8. dougdodd

dougdodd

I cannot get lightmap resolution to show in Editor in 5; is that still supported?

9. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

It shows only in the relevant GI modes (click on the dropdown list on the top left of the viewport)

10. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

I don't think directional lightmaps work properly in 5 yet.

shkar-noori likes this.
  11. topofsteel

topofsteel

This is a mess!

12. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

It's not a mess. It's a beta :)

13. thehosse

thehosse

I too am totally confused to what these modes are supposed to do.
    Light GI mode - Realtime / Baked / Mixed
    Baked GI settings - Non-Directional / Combined Directional / Separate Directional.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2014
  14. Alex-Lian

Alex-Lian

I'm impressed you have 5.0.0b12 when we haven't even built it here yet!

MrEsquire likes this.
  15. thehosse

thehosse

Sorry typo.!

16. Alex-Lian

Alex-Lian

Mainly teasing, and half making sure people don't think there's another beta version they don't have access to.

17. Roni92

Roni92

Hahaha, good one Alex ;)

18. thehosse

thehosse

So does anyone know or is there any documentation on the different lighting modes?

Light GI mode - Realtime / Baked / Mixed
    Baked GI settings - Non-Directional / Combined Directional / Separate Directional.

19. thehosse

thehosse

Is it possible to just bake in the whole scene GI and have the direct lighting set to realtime only?

20. pojoih

pojoih

Also, an explanation the the Lightmap Parameters Settings would be most welcome, just like the very good Tooltips in the Lightmap Tab!

21. KEngelstoft

KEngelstoft

Unity Technologies

The Lightmapping window and its tooltips has been reworked for beta13 and should be more intuitive to use. Let us know what you think (in a new thread please).

22. Guile_R

Guile_R

Hi,

We are getting a ridiculously sized GiCache folders on all our projects, even one that has a single scene with just a plane and two spheres. Is this how it is supposed to work? We have been using Source Tree to version control our projects and wondering if we will have to remove this folder from our repository and have a massive GiCache folder on each computer we are using for this project as it is not feasible to version control folders of this size.

Please do advise.

23. KEngelstoft

KEngelstoft

Unity Technologies

Hi Guile_R,

You should not add the GI Cache to source control. The GI Cache is storing the intermediate files used in the different stages of lighting your scene. You could in theory share this between computers don't recommend it for network and disk performance reasons.

It is currently possible to have a GI cache per project, but as you have seen, it quickly grows too large and hogs disk space even if you aren't actively using that specific project.

In Beta13 the GI cache will be shared between projects and can't be set per project any more. Automatic trimming of the cache will also be enabled per default (I can't remember if it is already enabled per default on your beta version). The folder will be located in your caches folder instead of in the project.

Until Beta13 is out, please go to the Preferences -> GI Cache and enable Auto Trim and set the size to something reasonable for your particular project. Setting a very low size will not delete any files that are actively in use but may increase recomputation time if we miss the cache.

shkar-noori likes this.
  24. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Is it going to be possible to put the "end result" in the assets folder so it can be shared with other computers? For example, what is compiled at runtime? (it can't be the whole cache, right?)

25. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

Select "OnDemand" mode and click bake.

In b13 the UI will be made clearer by calling it "Continous baking" and when it it is disabled you can simply click on the bake button next to it.

shkar-noori likes this.
  26. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Ah, thanks. That works nicely. The naming is a bit confusing. I thought "On Demand" was kind of a lesser mode where you used when you wanted to "pause" the actual baking.

27. BuildABurgerBurg

BuildABurgerBurg

how do you increase the lightmap resolution? all im getting is 32x32 :/

I'm using legacy setting GI disabled. All I want is to bake out a 2048 resolution lightmap, and then use in photoshop to multiply diffuse image. Any tips?? I've changed so many settings and nothing...

28. KEngelstoft

KEngelstoft

Unity Technologies

Enable Baked GI. You should set the Atlas Size to 2048. In beta13 you can find it in the Lighting Window -> General GI -> Atlas Size.

29. BuildABurgerBurg

BuildABurgerBurg

not working in legacy mode. Not sure it works on other modes.. will have to wait hours.

30. BuildABurgerBurg

BuildABurgerBurg

also i just noticed that the cpu usage while baking is no more than 1% even though i've selected unlimited.

enlighten clustering ZZZzzzzzzzzz

My system specs:

Intel i7-4770 CPU 3.4GHz
    32 GB Ram

its a real shame enlightens not making use of this awesome power!!!

Last edited: Nov 13, 2014
  31. KEngelstoft

KEngelstoft

Unity Technologies

Please give the new mode a try :)
    Sounds like you are using a very high resolution for your bake, consider lowering the clustering resolution and baked resolution.

32. BuildABurgerBurg

BuildABurgerBurg

I tried with the same meshes in a new project, and set it to standalone is it worked well.

Is it not supported on android?

33. KEngelstoft

KEngelstoft

Unity Technologies

Yes, Enlighten works on Android. If you are using an older beta before 10, it might not work.

34. Non Hic

Non Hic

WHERE is it? I can't find it! the Window menu has no such "Lightmapping" in it. *panics* :confused:

35. Non Hic

Non Hic

Never mind. it's in the "lighting" now I guess. -.-)

36. Roni92

Roni92

wait, ill make you photo for your "genius" xd

37. Non Hic

Non Hic

I didn't get that joke. o_O

DanSuperGP likes this.