Search Unity

Unity 5 Additive Light probes

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by Phantomx, Mar 6, 2015.

1. Phantomx

Phantomx

Hey,
    In this article they say it's possible to (stream) chunks of level additively.
    http://blogs.unity3d.com/2014/09/18/global-illumination-in-unity-5/

I can load a chunk with Application.LoadLevelAdditive() and the lightmaps follows, however the light probes don't. If I set the lightmap snapshot to be the second scene's snapshot, the light probes work but the lightmaps are loaded twice and the scene is twice as bright. Same thing if I already have lightmaps in my scene.

how to do this properly?

Thanks

2. fffMalzbier

fffMalzbier

The article you linked shows a bunch of stuff that probably will be available in the 5.x release cycle.
    And additive scene loading for light-baking (and probably light-probes) does apparently still sits on the list of Not yet implemented features.

3. Kuba

Kuba

Hey Phantomx,

As you noticed yourself, additive level loading works for lightmaps, but not for light probes. The reason for that is the global nature of the data structure we use for light probes (we tetrahedralize the cloud of light probe positions to allow for interpolation and calculate additional data for the hull that allows for extrapolation).
    Merging two structures like that is not possible while keeping all of its nice properties, but we'll be working on a solution that will allow light probes to fully work with additive level loading shortly.

cslpy, Phantomx and fffMalzbier like this.
  4. CorbanDallas

CorbanDallas

5. azpt

azpt

@Kuba - any updates on "we'll be working on a solution that will allow light probes to fully work with additive level loading shortly" ?

6. alexandre-fiset

alexandre-fiset

^this

7. Lt_Commander

Lt_Commander

@Kuba We've hit exactly issue with 5.4.2f2, or an issue matching this one exactly as described. Was this resolved and we're dealing with something else, or is still on the shortlist for fixes?

8. shihui142857

shihui142857

Except for light probes, what about the fog and ambient color settings ? After loading level additive, we really need change these light settings.

9. alexandre-fiset

alexandre-fiset

This can usually be changed by code.

10. jhughes2112

jhughes2112

Any word on actually addressing additive scene loading light probes? I don't see it listed as a feature on 2018.3.

bluescrn, MNNoxMortem and hippocoder like this.
  11. MNNoxMortem

MNNoxMortem

So this is still not possible in Unity 2018.3?

ksam2 likes this.
  12. jhughes2112

jhughes2112

I have a partially-finished replacement Light Probe system that I plan to put on the asset store later this year. As far as I know, there isn't a solution on the store nor in Unity 2018/2019..

ksam2 and MNNoxMortem like this.
  13. ksam2

ksam2

Hi, what happened to this? did you release it? I need to shift my game world with floating origin script but I mentioned light probes doesn't work anymore after I shift the game world! does you light probe system works on this situation?

14. jhughes2112

jhughes2112

No, haven't had time to work on it for a long time. The design is such that probe sets can live in prefabs or scenes and merge in dynamically as they are created. So it would work if I finished it. I probably won't have time this year, though. Other projects are more pressing, and writing a new dynamic probe system is... Complicated and not a lot of users to make it worth the time. Unity should do it though.