Search Unity

Unity 5 Access Violation crash + Bug Reporter problem

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Evansarine, Mar 19, 2015.

1. Evansarine

Evansarine

Ever since installing Unity 5 a week ago I've been running into this problem anytime I attempt to load a project or create a new project.
    The editor begins to load for an instant and then suddenly the 'Unity Bug Reporter' wizard pops up. I've tried to submit a report via the Bug Reporter several times over the past few days, but each time I hit 'Send' I get this error message: "Host editorbugs.unity3d.com not found"...
    I've Googled this problem as many ways as I could think of, but haven't found it online.

I decided to try and see if I could just figure out the problem on my own, so I read the crash '.log' file and found that each time this crash occurs the logs read some variation of this :

"Unity Editor [version: Unity 5.0.0f4_5b98b70ebeb9]

Unity.exe caused an Access Violation (0xc0000005)
    in module Unity.exe at 0033:4107f1ba.

Error occurred at 2015-03-18_224404.
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Unity\Editor\Unity.exe, run by Alternate Admin.
    23% memory in use.
    ...[summary of memory]...
    Read from location 00000008 caused an access violation."

So I can't get the Unity 5 editor to work at all, and I have no way of submitting it via the Bug Reporter.
    I have uninstalled Unity completely and installed fresh 3 times over the past few days. No change.
    I have tried 'running as administrator', as well as even trying to run in 'compatibility mode' a few times.
    I have made sure that my anti-virus and firewall software knows to leave Unity and the Bug Reporter app alone. None of this has had any effect so far.
    I'm not sure what else to try.

Anybody have any ideas? Any help is appreciated. :confused:
    Thanks

ChiefGeronimo likes this.
  2. ahrioww

ahrioww

I'm facing same problem.. need help!

using windows 8.1 - 64x

3. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

4. YM

YM

5. PyrO1706

PyrO1706

Did you try to install Unity on a different partition? Or at least not into C:\program files?

6. Evansarine

Evansarine

I should have specified that in my first post, my system is running 64-bit Windows 7.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled Unity 5 several times. At least once changing the installation directory to Program Files(x86) and/or vice versa... I can't recall at the moment which directory is the default. I'm not on that system at the moment so I can't check presently... but no I haven't installed on a separate partition at all yet...

7. swarooppal1088

swarooppal1088

Any updates on this Same issue Windows 8.1 64 bit

8. Evansarine

Evansarine

I tried to work at fixing the problem again last night and no changes for me.
    I still can't create/load projects and I still can't successfully submit a bug report.

9. swarooppal1088

swarooppal1088

I am able to submit the bug report but the crash issue still persists.
    I tried the patch release http://unity3d.com/unity/qa/patch-releases.
    Check if this works for you.(In case you already have not tried, it didn't work for me though)

10. Evansarine

Evansarine

Thanks, that's not a bad idea.
    If I get time this weekend I'll see if trying that helps...

11. Makingames

Makingames

I suddenly got this error also. I'm running windows 8, and I'm freaking out. I'm completely frozen in progress because of this "Access Violation" error. Has anybody figured out a fix yet?

12. Makingames

Makingames

I'm thinking that it may be invalidly trying to grab memory for a lost reference. I'm downloading a 32 bit installer to see if it works. Currently Unity 4 works, and its 32 also. So odd that this issue just popped up from nowhere.

13. Pr3s4ri0

Pr3s4ri0

This also may be related to broken registry, I know one guy who had exactly the same problem,
    He realized that he was messing with the registry for some reason and he broke some links, so restoring the registry back to before that happened fixed it.

14. Makingames

Makingames

That was me! System restore to a point a few days ago seemed to fix it.

15. Evansarine

Evansarine

I finally had some time to throw at this problem again and I downloaded the latest patch release and the problem persists for me. Still can't report the bug either.

Also, I'm glad the system restore option seems to work for some, but in my particular situation it's not a viable solution. Unity 5 simply had this problem on my system from day one. There is no time in the past that I was not experiencing this problem.
    And I haven't messed around with the Registry at all.

I guess I'm just going to have to wait for the next major update to see if this problem gets fixed...(?)

16. rmuk

rmuk

It seems like a lot of us started having this same issue around the same time. Could it possibly have been a windows update that broke it?

17. morningstarzhou

morningstarzhou

Type "ping editorbugs.untiy3d.com" in Command Prompt, if you see message like "could not find host....", maybe I can solve your problem, you can't open any unity5 project and can't send any bug reporter because of your DNS analysis.
    OK, Solution:
    (tips: run Command Prompt as adminstrator)
    1. Type "ipconfig /flushdns" in Command Prompt
    2. Type "netsh winsock reset" in Command Prompt
    3. Restart
    4. Type "ping editorbugs.unity3d.com" in Command Prompt again
    5. If the problem has been solved, I think you can open unity5 project normally; if the problem still exists, you should google DNS analysis problem first, and search other solution.

kkgames and Evansarine like this.
  18. AreYouRadis

AreYouRadis

Worked fine for me :)
    I had the exact same problem, these 2 command lines + restart made it work again!
    thanks a lot

19. Evansarine

Evansarine

!
    And look at that, it works beautifully... you, sir, deserve a handshake.
    My first thread gets a happy ending, and right in time for the weekend no less! :D

Here's hoping this solves the issue for everyone else who experiences it.

Xinyu321 likes this.
  20. Seneral

Seneral

Didn't helped for me, as it was my editor code I wrote, but in case anyone else has this problem, it may help to look at the editor crash log located about here:
    C:\Users\*User*\AppData\Local\Unity\Editor\Editor.log
    At the bottom there's usually a readable stack trace which should help you find your problem, if it lies in your code.

I did something like this:
    Code (csharp):
    1. skinnedRenderer.BakeMesh (skinnedRenderer.sharedMesh);
    which is basically total bullshit because the parameter is the mesh to bake the skinned Mesh onto :rolleyes: So basically I baked a mesh onto itself which caused the access violation in my case:oops:

21. epicman509

epicman509

I'm able to ping the site, and I'm not sure if the problem is in the DNS hookup. Unity only crashes on one user on a specific computer.

22. EctoplasmStudio

EctoplasmStudio

I had this error too but it was due to my code.

If it may help anyone, I was using an empty NavMeshHit in a Physic.LineCast() for a AI check and that caused the editor to crash.

Something like :

NavMeshHit navHit;
    foundPosition = NavMesh.SamplePosition (somePosition, out hit, 1f, 1);
    RaycastHit vHit;
    if(Physics.Linecast (dudeOrigin, navHit.position, out vHit, obstacles)){
    foundPosition=false;
    }

It was crashing any time I was attempting to linecast with an empty navHit so I changed it to something like

NavMeshHit navHit;
    foundPosition = NavMesh.SamplePosition (somePosition, out hit, 1f, 1);
    RaycastHit vHit;
    if(foundPosition&&Physics.Linecast (dudeOrigin, navHit.position, out vHit, obstacles)){
    foundPosition=false;
    }

Zimbres and GiantGrey like this.
  23. nevaran

nevaran

Ive got Read from location 5121aa00 caused an access violation.
    And i know what the issue is, but i dont know why its doing that.
    My options menu in standalone(windows 10) does it when i added a set resolution and set fullscreen options. And upon quitting game, it gives this crash.

olusegunayo likes this.
  24. kkgames

kkgames

Thanks a lot...... :)

25. Eadmond

Eadmond

Ar, my unity worked well yesterday, but today when I came it started crashing without reason when I try to start map0.
    And here is the error log and editor log of mine, I don't understand it. Please help me.

Attached Files:

26. OnlyFails

OnlyFails

I ran into this as well, unfortunately I couldn't find a solution and had to scrap the project I was working on.

What I plan to do is just use another game engine, unity seems to be filled the brim with unexplainable or unsolvable glitches that with either lose you a lot of money in lost time trying to get the editor to launch or you'll lose time trying to find out why unity is giving you an opengl error that when clicked on doesn't do anything because you don't have access to unitys rendering code.

I have another problem with GrabPass saying I need to use a material.SetPass(0) before GL.End() when it's a store asset that normally perfectly works.

It's the most useless and broken engine that will cost you a lot of time for a game that doesn't look that good in the engine anyway.

27. Tal9009

Tal9009

I have the same problem, but it stopped happening when i stopped using asset store fbx imports.
    don't know if they are malicious or not, but they were the cause of the ACCESS VIOLATION.

28. radiantboy

radiantboy

Im getting this with Unity 5.6.0f3 (64-bit) - did anyone ever fix it?

29. shoffing

shoffing

I too am getting this with Unity 5.6.0f3 (64-bit). I was not getting this issue with Unity 5.5.

30. radiantboy

radiantboy

I went back to an earlier 5.6 beta and it happened again but then I rebooted and tried again and it worked. Guys at unity told me they cant recreate this an advised a reinstall of unity, although I doubt that is it

31. radiantboy

radiantboy

I submitted a bug report on this but my posts here have been deleted by someone, not sure why. I also get this error in Unity 5.6.0b10, not when loading but when I run a scene. It says Read from location cc582a50 caused an access violation., One weird thing is in my log I see D:\Program Files\TortoiseHg\ThgShellx64.dll, Im not sure why that is even in there but maybe it is related somehow.

32. Chindark

Chindark

Hi,
    Try to run in admin mode.

regards.

33. SaraCecilia

SaraCecilia

What is the bug report nr? Can't find any recent reports about this issue.

34. radiantboy

radiantboy

Tried, no luck.

35. radiantboy

radiantboy

Should be 899531 although someone keeps removing my posts about this, so maybe this will also vanish :)

36. BinaryLegend

BinaryLegend

Just started seeing this today as well in 5.6.0f3 (64-bit Win 10). Curiosly, it happened after I received an asset from one of my artists. After that, no matter which branch I change to (including ones without said asset), Unity crashes when I press Play.

37. Ossorum

Ossorum

This fixed it for me!. Thanks!

38. Seraphic572

Seraphic572

How did u identify that Your navHit was the reason . have seen it any where in the logs . If so let me know . i am unable to trace my problem .cause project was developed by someone else and i have to continue that .. i upgraded it from 5.5.4 to 5.6.1 and its randomly crashing when i am trying to access multiple things parllely

39. rorysherrousesr

rorysherrousesr

This only worked enough to get it to fire up without crashing on load, as soon as you try to do anything , well run or change anything. Anything that made Unity run...It crashed and gave same report. Took about a half hour of loading but finally submitted report which was 2 weeks ago and no reply nor has it worked since.i have applied patch, I then uninstalled and deleted everything with a restore point without unity and reinstall, tried running as admin, turned off or uninstalled any security, I'm running Windows 7 64. And this is a new install. This is first time installing Unity. So no prior unity to mess up. I have not been able to even start a project. The survivor shooter learner is only thing that will even come on at all. All other ways crash before even seeing layout.

40. pan-master

pan-master

I am loosing my mind with Unity, How can you make a bigger project when Unity breaks on its own, One day it works, next day it wont compile, or even play in editor, I really feel like this game engines gets worse and worse with each new version:(, I think I wont be using it anymore, I regret investin in it so much money

radiantboy and dienat like this.
  41. ksam2

ksam2

I figured out its all because Skele plugin in my project! after removing this I don't have any more access violation crash.

42. JobsforMAKE

JobsforMAKE

This error happened! Please help me!

43. Drahgoone

Drahgoone

I think I've found the solution. I used to crash every 5 or 10 minutes, now not at all.

Go to Window -> Lighting -> settings

and under "Debug settings"

un-check auto-generate

44. kwcae

kwcae

This just canned a time critical problem. Yesterday all was fine, this morning dead. IT lock downs restrict reinstalling or running in admin mode. Tried rebooting to no avail.

Unity.exe caused an Access Violation (0xc0000005)
    in module Unity.exe at 0033:40bbf421.

Read from location 0000000000000060 caused an access violation.

If anyone can assist, the crashed threads stack is:

Stack Trace of Crashed Thread 9784:
    0x0000000140BBF421 (Unity) MonoScript::InitializeAssemblyNameAndScriptType
    0x0000000140BC4036 (Unity) MonoScript::RebuildFromAwake
    0x0000000140C4EAB4 (Unity) PersistentManager::ReadAndActivateObjectThreaded
    0x0000000140C4F06F (Unity) PersistentManager::ReadObjectThreaded
    0x0000000140C4ED94 (Unity) PersistentManager::ReadObject
    0x000000014058367A (Unity) PPtr<Object>::eek:perator Object * __ptr64
    0x0000000140BBFFAB (Unity) MonoScriptManager::InitializeRegisteredScripts
    0x0000000140E579EC (Unity) LoadMonoAssembliesAndRecompileIfNecessary
    0x000000014142161B (Unity) Application::InitializeProject
    0x00000001415CA148 (Unity) WinMain
    0x00000001423F953A (Unity) __scrt_common_main_seh
    0x00007FFE16902784 (KERNEL32) BaseThreadInitThunk
    0x00007FFE18F40D51 (ntdll) RtlUserThreadStart

45. zakdank

zakdank

Can you try launch Unity directly (i.e. not unity hub) using the Unity.exe as an administrator? I have had the same issue for a few weeks and I just sorted it by running it directly.

46. dimghost380

dimghost380

bonjour j'ai un problème avec l'unité de ce que je veux importer un actif genre actif standard unité commencer un chargé est un rapport de bug appariait si quelqu'un peut m'aider

Unity Editor [version: Unity 5.6.4f1_ac7086b8d112]

Unity.exe a provoqué une violation d'accès (0xc0000005)
    dans le module Unity.exe à 001b: 01b25a45.

Une erreur s'est produite à 2018-12-30_124022.
    C: \ Program Files \ Unity \ Editeur \ Unity.exe, exécuté sans nom.
    96% de mémoire utilisée.
    2047 Mo de mémoire physique [66 Mo libre].
    Fichier d'échange de 0 Mo [1671 Mo disponible].
    2048 Mo d'espace d'adressage utilisateur [767 Mo libre].
    La lecture de l'emplacement 00000010 a provoqué une violation d'accès.

47. Blinkq

Blinkq

Hello guys, Unity 2019.3.0, HDRP, I faced same error, removing everything, not necessary, you can leave Library, and remove everything else, "obj", "Temp", ".csproj". I got error somewhere in that files, removing them helped.
    My project 75g on hdd, and waiting when it will generate new Library, not awesome at all.
    I lost 2 days, with this error, leaving this comment with love to everyone who have deadlines and facing same thing.

48. tbriz

tbriz

2019.3.0f6 Universal Render Pipeline - Unity would crash as soon as I opened. I deleted the "Library" folder in my project (I recommend backing it up first). Reopen the project. Wait quite a while while all packages are re-imported. Boom, it actually opened.

49. Devxdprogamer

Devxdprogamer

This is bull$#!^ It was working well and it is not working only in 2d but works in 3d

Attached Files: