Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity 5.4 Beta Sweepstakes

Discussion in '5.4 Beta' started by QA-for-life, Apr 27, 2016.

1. QA-for-life

QA-for-life

Unity Technologies

We're working on polishing Unity 5.4 beta right now. In order to get more feedback on real life use before we push anything to final, we opened it up and asked all Unity users to try it out. Now we've decided to sweeten the deal in order to get more of you in and catch all the edge cases.

If you submit, or have already submitted, a Unity 5.4 beta bug report with a solid description and an attached project, you'll be automatically added to our Unity 5.4 Beta Sweepstakes. After we ship 5.4, one hundred of you will get a $100 Asset Store voucher from us as a thank you.

Get the latest beta here: http://unity3d.com/unity/beta

More on bug reporting to help increase the chance of a valid repro: http://unity3d.com/unity/qa/bug-reporting

Terms and Conditions: http://unity3d.com/unitybetasweepstakes

2. screenname_taken

screenname_taken

Haven't found a bug yet, but there's something i'd like for Unity to have. Something that's basically a usability thing.
    To be able to assign colors or small icons to the objects in the Hierarchy. So for example i can have a running figure icon to my Player object to be able to see if in the hierarchy with just a glance instead of typing it in or scrolling.

Xepherys, Leoo, John3D and 2 others like this.
  3. codestage

codestage

Awesome!

I'd like to clear up this though:

If you submit, or have already submitted, a Unity 5.4 beta bug report with a solid description and an attached project, you'll be automatically added to our Unity 5.4 Beta Sweepstakes.

Quote from the Terms and Conditions:
    This “Sweepstakes” is sponsored by Unity Technologies ApS (“Unity”) and is open to individuals who submit a valid bug/regression report during the Sweepstakes period

So, will all my existing reports for 5.4 beta be counted? =)

4. alexandre-fiset

alexandre-fiset

I still think that the best approach would be to setup a space where we can upload our big projects so you can open them and see if it works out of the box.

I mean, ours is 30 gb in size. Having the chance to win 100$ of store credits is not worth taking half a day to pinpoint repros and build up a small and focused project.

So. Yeah. Bigger project support would be nice. 100$ bucks is only appealing to noobs.

5. elbows

elbows

The start date mentioned in the terms was March 15th which implies to me that any bug reports submitted once the 5.4 beta was made public (rather than when it was only for Pro licence/subscription holders) are the intended targets, but I could be wrong.

6. codestage

codestage

@alexandre.fiset
    Actually it's a good practice to pinpoint bugs and send a smaller repro if possible.
    It will reduce time you need to upload report and it will dramatically reduce time QA needs to process your report (download time, project open time, pinpointing exact bug for the further processing).
    And this is not about $100, it's about less bugs for you in next versions.

Anyways, if you can't pinpoint it, you're still able to send them whole project via third-party cloud service.

@elbows Ah, see it now, thanks!
    Sigh, I sent 8 reports before it became public =\

Alverik, theANMATOR2b and spryx like this.
  7. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

You're in a much better position to judge that than we are, though. Sure, we can tell if the game is just crashing on launch, but for most more subtle issues, we don't know what your project is supposed to be like. If a particle effect is missing, or your rag dolls aren't collapsing the way you expect them to, etc... we're not going to know that.

The exception is projects that have automated test suites, using something like the Unity Test Tools (or the new Editor Tests feature in 5.3), because in those cases "what it is supposed to be like" is encoded into the tests. If you've got automated tests for your project that are all passing in 5.3 but failing in 5.4, get in touch with me...

John3D likes this.
  8. Player7

Player7

here is one that I just got with b16 that a quick search came up with https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/is...m-console-when-clicked-on-gizmo-on-gameobject

well its reproducible everytime for me now... 16 errors with...dot0 - dot16

Unable to load the icon: 'sv_icon_dot0_pix16_gizmo'.
    Note that either full project path should be used (with extension) or just the icon name if the icon is located in the following location: 'Assets/Editor Default Resources/Icons/' (without extension, since png is assumed)
    UnityEditor.DockArea:OnGUI()

the scene always loads up in a 2d camera mode despite saving the scene with that off.

I just dunno if I can be bothered to clean up the project and upload.. 100$ lottery.. draws like that with no oversight.. its not like its even streamed guys... probably better if bugs squashed from community bug submissions award the community with whatever chosen asset that should come in handy for most projects. The sooner we get to 5.4 final the sooner you can all get a 'whatever' asset so get those bug submissions in. Seems like better incentive for community as a whole and doesn't need whole page on terms and conditions just for a draw.

fyi it would be really nice to disable asset folders/scripts from being compiled directly from project inspector.. like editor stuff, instead of the chore of having to removing them from the project.

and having editor scripts that are missing actually show the last used filename of that missing script.. because its really kinda dumb seeing missing script on a component. When I see no good reason why the meta data cannot keep track of last known filename.

9. mradfo21

mradfo21

ill glady receive no money in exchange for fixing this bug. i will pay YOU money to fix this bug.

Case 790263

Mazyod, Shushustorm, igrir and 3 others like this.
  10. Wu5tar

Wu5tar

Has Multi-display mode been re-enabled for the UI in 5.4b?

11. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

Like this?
    Screen Shot 2016-04-27 at 7.07.01 PM.png

Try this script in Editor folder, match it to your components.

Code (CSharp):
    1. using UnityEditor;
    2. using UnityEngine;
    3. using System.Collections.Generic;
    5. [InitializeOnLoad]
    6. class MyHierarchyIcons
    7. {
    8.     static Texture2D texturePanel,textureInteraction,textureSlot;
    9.     static List<int> markedObjects;
    11.     static MyHierarchyIcons ()
    12.     {
    13.         // Init
    14.         texturePanel = AssetDatabase.LoadAssetAtPath ("Assets/art/icons/icon ui panel.psd", typeof(Texture2D)) as Texture2D;
    15.         textureInteraction = AssetDatabase.LoadAssetAtPath ("Assets/art/icons/icon ui interaction.psd", typeof(Texture2D)) as Texture2D;
    16.         textureSlot = AssetDatabase.LoadAssetAtPath ("Assets/art/icons/icon ui slot.psd", typeof(Texture2D)) as Texture2D;
    17.         EditorApplication.hierarchyWindowItemOnGUI += HierarchyItemCB;
    18.     }
    20.     static void HierarchyItemCB (int instanceID, Rect selectionRect)
    21.     {
    22.         // place the icoon to the right of the list:
    23.         Rect r = new Rect (selectionRect);
    24.         r.x = r.width +10;
    25.         r.width = 20;
    27.         GameObject go = EditorUtility.InstanceIDToObject (instanceID) as GameObject;
    29.         if (!go) return;
    30.         if (go.GetComponent<UIPanel>()) GUI.Label (r, texturePanel);
    31.         if (go.GetComponent<Interaction>()) GUI.Label (r, textureInteraction);
    32.         if (go.GetComponent<UIDragDropSlot>()) GUI.Label (r, textureSlot);
    33.     }
    34. }

KyryloKuzyk and igrir like this.
  12. SimonDarksideJ

SimonDarksideJ

fantastic news.

but lets everyone be sensible. Don't use this thread to call out you issues or raise new ones, that's what the unity bug reporter is for.

probably might be work having a separate shout out thread where people can ask about long standing issues outside of fogzbuz.

good luck everyone and here's hoping for a good and stable version of unity we've been asking for!! Roll on 5.4.

SeanHoward3D likes this.
  13. superpig

superpig

Yes, just to be clear, bugs that are reported via the forums (or via Twitter, or via email, or whatever else) are NOT eligible for the sweepstakes. Only bugs that you actually submit via the bug reporter, so they go into our Fogbugz database, are eligible.

John3D likes this.
  14. screenname_taken

screenname_taken

@laurentlavigne Yeeeeeeesh. Something like that. Will try it ASAP, thx.
    @SimonDarksideJ Yeah my rant wasn't for the sweepstakes. I thought to plug it in here as i did suggest it somewhere else but nothing happened. (I mean a comment or something).

SimonDarksideJ likes this.
  15. Carpe-Denius

Carpe-Denius

Talking about fogbugz, is there any way to get into my account without having an email with the direct link to a bug?

16. alexandre-fiset

alexandre-fiset

I do agree that small "hidden" issues must be found and tackled. But in 5.4, I still can't manage to have a build working without a crash, nor can I use Image Effects or the editor without big issues like corrupted game view. These are high level, showstopper issues. I didn't have the same kind of experience in 5.3, 5.0 and even back at 4.5.

If we can't build, there may be dozens of other critical issues we can't find. The build crash is the one issue that we can't reproduce in a smaller project and there's nothing we can do with it as we do not have the time, nor the ressources to find repros for it. In this particular case, having the chance to win 100 bucks isn't enough. Sending our whole 32 gb project each time is unacceptable (last time we tried, it took 7 hours to upload).

We are pro users and now the forums are flooded by hobbyist and noobs. I think it is good as a pool of testers for smaller projects, but IMO there is now a need for you to handle the bigger ones.

Deleted User, mdrotar and MrEsquire like this.
  17. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

I do not think the problem is the amount of bug reports send, so if Unity wish for more bug reports then this is the correct move and happy about it. Although the more "same" reports they receive the busy there QA team will be with duplicates, and time wasted, while could be looking at more important performance issues.

I believe the final current problem is the priority of the bug reports. E.g. Android crash issue is high priority and blocks users from releasing. For the last 3 beta versions I have had crash issue with animations, so beta again useless to use on existing project. Yes maybe some of them cannot be fixed instantly but some comments on such critical issues would help. Do not want to believe that teams are working on the "edge case" bug when there is bugs stopping all developers from using or releasing there games.

Shushustorm and mdrotar like this.
  18. Amon

Amon

Can I not submit a bug and get the $100 anyway. I'm broke for a while and need that $100 to fund my new MMORPG.

19. Arowx

Arowx

Has UT considered some kind of interactive graphical representation of bugs, it would give developers a bit more of an idea of how far off the Beta's are from completion?

E.g. Bugs over time, Bugs per Module, Bugs per Version, Bugs per Build, Time to Fix, Age of Bugs.

20. mdrotar

mdrotar

I reported some bugs about a year ago that were confirmed but still haven't been fixed. You guys probably forgot about them so can I just submit them again and get credit?

MrEsquire likes this.
  21. supadupa64

supadupa64

Here's a bug:
    The selector tool bugs out a lot! It usually bugs out when I disable random objects in the scene. I'll take my $100. =)

Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
  22. mgear

mgear

..unity should have bug bounties all the time, like many web services/companies.

if someone finds nasty or interesting bug, submits with good repro-project/explanation,
    then some default $nn-nnn asset voucher would be amazing!

(and in case it causes bug report duplicate spam, flagging the spammer accounts should slow it down.. and/or make it so that you must have active account older than x months, until can take part in bounties..)

23. alexandre-fiset

alexandre-fiset

I worked as a QA technician before and I find it unacceptable to see a game engine company not responding to bug reports better than a video game studio. Seriously, bugs as bad as "I can't build" or "build crashes" shouldn't even pass their QA most basic test cases.

What's even more rediculous is that they think the problem is the lack of bug reports. They now offer "a chance to win 100$ bucks". Is it some kind of joke? I'm sorry to be this mean but I'm sick and tired of waiting months before seing usable beta builds. Unity shouldn't need thousand of testers to get its engine to simply build and run.

Shushustorm and MrEsquire like this.
  24. screenname_taken

screenname_taken

From my end, i've never had a build fail, that wasn't my fault in some way.
    Not saying that Unity doesn't have bugs, i've filled a truckload of them.

25. paraself

paraself

Hi, I've submitted a bug with 5.3.4f1, but I found that bug is still in 5.4b14, am I automatically eligible? Or I have to submit the same bug with 5.4 explicitly?

26. Quatum1000

Quatum1000

For sure report a solid bug out of 5.4. Otherwhise you didn't noticed for the 100 bugs offer.

MrEsquire likes this.
  27. Arowx

Arowx

What if I report a bug that is already reported will everyone who reports a bug win, or is it first report wins?

28. screenname_taken

screenname_taken

@QA for life: Pleeease check Bug Case 793308. It's something that brakes a project that workwed flawlessly before.

Last edited: May 2, 2016
  29. Amon

Amon

I hope they have enough money.....

30. paraself

paraself

They are giving out AS vouchers.

31. Amon

Amon

I know. 99.5% of the assets on the asset store do not belong to or are made by Unity. Thus my comment is valid per what I quoted.

It's not an issue anyway as it's all in the spirit of reporting bugs.

From what I gather, the content of this thread shows that Uniteers are a little confused by the offer as the offer has left various levels of uncertainty regarding the rules. The offer is badly worded and, as you can see by reading this thread, leaves itself open to unwanted ways for it to be interpreted.

The "say what you mean and want" factor is not there.

32. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

@ Amon
    This means max 100 people will get a $100 voucher, clear?

33. Amon

Amon

Yes.

The administration costs though of all the complaints from people who have interpreted the offer differently to how it actually is, just read some of the replies, will likely cost more than $10,000. Why? The time lost in dealing with people complaining about not being in the 100 that receive the $100 AS Vouchers is an administration task that would not be there had the offer been explained properly.

34. xCyborg

xCyborg

Hi guys, I filed a report and the team was able to reproduce the bug, (lightmap object preview case 793304) but say I want to publish it to the issue tracker for people to get onboard, how do I do that? I can't find a way to do so.
    I hope to get a confirmation for entry in the sweepstake, thanks.

35. superpig

superpig

As long as you didn't mark the bug as 'private' when you submitted it, an issue tracker link is generated automatically. In this case: http://issuetracker.unity3d.com/iss...nsole-is-flooded-with-nullreferenceexceptions

I don't think QA are issuing any formal confirmations, but yes, your bug is eligible. (Also we've already fixed it internally. The system works! :D )

36. screenname_taken

screenname_taken

I'd happily trade my elligibility for a fix to my issue :oops:.
    They did reproduce it.

37. stark_sarthak

stark_sarthak

Don't want any sweepstakes or rewards but just want to report the following issue:-
    Unity remote doesn't work on an actual android device when bluestacks (or any of its services) are running as viewable in the task manager of windows. So in a way, BlueStacks interferes with the ability of Unity to communicate with cable connected android devices. Please fix that.

38. arenshi

arenshi

Same problem! Editor crashes when running some animations.

MrEsquire likes this.
  39. screenname_taken

screenname_taken

Same... you'd think something like that would take some priority.

40. ArachnidAnimal

ArachnidAnimal

I'm curious if you are setting any animation speeds to 0?
    This was a bug in previous versions that if you set the animation speed to 0, it causes Unity to crash. Whereas setting it to 0.0001 did not cause any errors.

But I think this thread is getting out of scope. It's about the sweepstakes, not individual bugs, so someone is going to lock this thread down or remove privileges for future posting.

41. earrgames

earrgames

Hi! I have connection problems and is very hard for me to downlaod the beta version, but I have a killer bug since unity 5.3.1f1 (Still happening in 5.3.4f1), I wrote a post about it some days ago, is the collision matrix and rigidbodies that seems to be buggy, excluded layers collision are still ocurring for a brief moment, this kills my game which uses rigidbody particles, please give it a look, I attached a sample project.

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/horrible-bug-with-rigidbodies-and-collision-matrix.404095/

EDIT: is not a bug, my bad, the problem was inside the character controller script, while I can igonore all layers the script still SphereCast agains every singlelayer inside the script, so after editing it now it works like a charm. I'm very sorry for saying it was a engine bug.

Last edited: May 15, 2016
  42. daddylonglegs2014

daddylonglegs2014

I've always have bugs like windows unresponsive after I hit the play button, and sometimes the button in canvas doesn't work in editor mode (have to restart the Unity). My Unity version is 5.3.4f, how to fix these? thanks

43. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

44. screenname_taken

screenname_taken

Well the animation crash got fixed for me in b19

45. drewpotter

drewpotter

Hey guys. So I deleted my previous post because it was answered in the form of an email confirmation.

I discovered a bug today, if anyone is interested it is here;
    https://fogbugz.unity3d.com/default.asp?803319_67ugaoe3dg3029gf

Basically, it affects Windows 10 laptops with touch screens when running in windowed mode. Basically when you move your finger across the screen and it leaves the window and then let go, the Unity App still thinks the finger is pressed - or so it seems - then you get some behaviour which is quite unusual but expected - based on thinking the finger is still pressed.

46. windyslove

windyslove

assetstore invaliable on linux

47. flapyfox

flapyfox

Any news on release date for 5.4?

48. flapyfox

flapyfox

any news on the release date of the official 5.4?

49. Simon-O

Simon-O

Cheaper than hiring a tester full-time...

50. mar10

mar10

not sure if this is a bug but I have been desperately looking for an explanation. when I updated my project to 5.3.5f1 I noticed that with some of my map buildings that have mesh colliders; with mild jagged edges that when my capsule collider makes contact with the edges it becomes jittered and then suddenly teleports in 5.1.1f1 this does not happen so I have been stuck using that version of unity and will likely build the final game in that version. I hope someone in unity can shed some light, i would really like to develop the release version of my game in 5.3.5f1. thanks.