Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity 5.3 rotating problem on animated object in Android

Discussion in 'Android' started by onurerler, Dec 10, 2015.

1. onurerler

onurerler

I have some animated characters in the scene. All characters have humanoid type animations and i we are using animator controller.
    In unity 5.2.3 everyting just fine but after upgrade to 5.3, In Android device, If i change their rotation during animation, they are start to fly into sky. If i try same thing in Editor everything is work fine.

I spent lots of time to find a solution but i couldn't and i downgrade unity to 5.2.3 again.

Dr_D likes this.
  2. Dr_D

Dr_D

@onurerler
    I can confirm this. I have created a video to demonstrate the rogue behavior. However, we have decided not to downgrade, as our project is already using the new JSON functionality and the scene manager.

I have submitted a formal bug report as well.
    https://fogbugz.unity3d.com/default.asp?752939_jc81binfap035bbg

Also, I have tested quite a few things. I tried using a manual RootmotionScript, re-importing the animations, etc...

Last edited: Dec 11, 2015
    marcobau and onurerler like this.
  3. Heissayen

Heissayen

Im having a problem with animating the rotation on Android aswell. If I change the rotation value of some sprite/quad using the animator, said object will just disappear on android. It works fine on Editor, tho...

M-A-N likes this.
  4. mikhail111777

mikhail111777

Confirmed, I have the same BUG on Android. I have characters with NavMesh Agent. Works on Desktop, and has the same issue on Android.

5. mikhail111777

mikhail111777

At first I thought we are screwed, I couldn't reproduce the BUG in a simple environment. But after wasting some time I managed to create a small project, which can reproduce it. The problem occurs when you check the "Optimize Game Objects" in the import settings.

I am filing a BUG as Pro subscriber so it gets a faster fix.

shochet and onurerler like this.
  6. Apoll0

Apoll0

Same bug for me on iOS too. I can see sprite rotation animation in Editor, but not on device

7. ramioooz

ramioooz

Man this is crazy...

same problem here.
    I am using latest unity 5.3

I hope someone figure this out soon :(

8. onurerler

onurerler

5.3.1 released. anybody tried for this problem

9. ramioooz

ramioooz

I just installed it (5.3.1) - problem remains :(

10. mikhail111777

mikhail111777

I got no reply from QA on my BUG report yet. I got only replies to several BUGs with Particle Systems, which are completely broken in Unity 5.3.1

11. mikhail111777

mikhail111777

Still not working in 5.3.1p1

And I even didn't get a reply to my BUG report. Despite that I provided a project which reproduces the BUG.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2015
  12. Zathos91

Zathos91

so its a bug?? I thought i was crazy until i have seen this thread...

Any solution so far?

13. mikhail111777

mikhail111777

As I wrote above - turn off "Optimize Game Objects" in the model import settings. I hope this workaround doesn't push the BUG to the bottom of the endless abyss of the backlog.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  14. Dr_D

Dr_D

Hmm... Unless there is another way to do what I'm doing, I don't think I can apply your workaround. My character can grab and hold objects with his right hand. To accomplish this, I'm checking the box "optimize game objects" which lets me expose extra transforms... in my case, the bone for his right hand. I then set whatever object the player may wish to hold as a child of that transform. Is there another way to accomplish this? Also... I'm glad to see other people posting on this thread. I'm not crazy! ;)

15. mikhail111777

mikhail111777

When you remove optimization, it imports the whole hierarchy, including the bone for the right hand.

marcobau and Dr_D like this.
  16. Dr_D

Dr_D

Ok. I see that now. Thanks. I think looking at the way it handles prefabs threw me off.
    This bug also has something to do with prefabs too, I think. It seems if I pull my character directly from the "Imported" folder and set him up in the scene, everything works fine. Once I drag him into a "Resources" folder(creating a prefab) and try to pull him into a scene from there, the problem shows itself.

17. Restrepo

Restrepo

there is a way to avoid this issue by right clicking on rotation property in Animation window and in the drop down menu changing interpolation from Euler Angles to Euler Angles(Quaternion approximation).

that should fix it but default Eular is broken

(Case #752955).

Crispy-Marrow, Roiw, M-A-N and 10 others like this.
  18. Dr_D

Dr_D

Thanks for that. I'm unable to find that rotation property in the animation window... all I get is remove property when I right-click an entry.

19. Restrepo

Restrepo

dradb, Zmeyk, KrlinM and 2 others like this.
  20. Dr_D

Dr_D

21. Dr_D

Dr_D

Hey guys. Sorry if I'm being a pest. I've copied one of my animation clips, as in that other thread, and the Rotation property is not exposed. I guess my question... is exposing the Rotation property using Add Property the correct procedure here? If that's the case, I may have to either write a script or try using the one in that thread to copy my animation events. The game is a work in progress... so if we decide a certain animation should be a little different, I just redo the animation and commit the change. If I have to do that each time... it will be a serious time killer. But, hey... How can I complain much about an engine this good that's free? ;)

22. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

For one, the engine needs to work the way it's mean't to. ;)
    Sarcasm aside... Try the add property button. It's probably in there. (I wouldn't know much on this, as I don't use Mecanim)

23. mikhail111777

mikhail111777

I think these are two different BUGs.

Unfortunately, my BUG report is being ignored. I only get replies to BUGs they can instantly close.

24. mikhail111777

mikhail111777

I've re-submitted the BUG with 5.3.1.p1, because I got no reply for my previous report.

25. ruston

ruston

You guys are life savers. I thought I was crazy too until I saw this thread.

dradb likes this.
  26. kuimoani

kuimoani

I have a same bug.
    I use 5.3.1f1

27. Reynoldson

Reynoldson

Thank God I found this thread!! I've managed to waste several days figuring out what's wrong with my sprites!
    Euler angles was the cause my sprites disappear when building the game. In Unity editor, all seems fine.
    I'm using U5.3.1p1 and Xcode 7.2.

28. CyberScopes

CyberScopes

Oh finally! Ive been looking for a fix for this bug for almost 2 weeks now, the changing of interpolation worked! Thanks guys

29. Jimbobbedyjobob

Jimbobbedyjobob

OK, to be fair, I have just updated to 5.3, and now ALL the rotation in my non-Android gamelette is big-wronged.

It's like Unity isn't converting everything to Euler angles any more and is just applying the values for my nice, safe Eulers direct to Quaternions.

cry cry whine fear.

30. erdiizgi

erdiizgi

Thanks, I solved the problem with changing the interpolation thing.

31. kolloldas

kolloldas

Saved my life, thank you guys!!

32. MalachiteBR

MalachiteBR

I wish I had found this thread before I downgraded :(

33. mikhail111777

mikhail111777

I got a reply to my BUG report. They told me the issue has been fixed in 5.4, which will be released in March. I am completely dissatisfied with 5.3 - it is not working at all. Two core components - animation and particle systems, - never worked in 5.3

GameDevMig, onurerler and erleronur like this.
  34. onurerler

onurerler

Good news :)

35. GameDevMig

GameDevMig

Thanks for reporting this, I'm having the same problem, would you mind linking the bug(s) so i can follow the resolution.

An automated work around or patch would be really appreciated since I'm working with a few hundred humanoid animations. So many rotations :...(

36. 00christian00

00christian00

So it's not going to be fixed for 5.3? Is this a new trend?
    I checked the patch release and only the rotation but which is solved by changing the interpolation has been fixed.

@Yury Habets
    Can you confirm it won't be backported to 5.3?

37. Yury-Habets

Yury-Habets

Unity Technologies

Hi @00christian00 !

What are we talking here of? What is the bug report in question?

38. 00christian00

00christian00

Hi Yuri,
    I don't know mikhail111777 bug number but I saw it was also reported by someone else and he got the same answer, fixed in 5.4. The bug number is 752398.
    I know a workaround have been offered, but a beta(5.4) should be used as a test ground for new features and not as a target for fixing bugs...

By the way, is there any way to search a bug by bug number? I couldn't find it.

39. Yury-Habets

Yury-Habets

Unity Technologies

40. Yury-Habets

Yury-Habets

Unity Technologies

The issue should be fixed in 5.3.1p3.

00christian00 likes this.
  41. 00christian00

00christian00

Thanks Yuri, didn't see it mentioned in changelog and was worried.
    Actually I'm not even sure mine was the same, as it automagically disappeared on me when I had to reimport the project from the repository . Hope it's related and I won't encounter it in the future.

42. ShaneLillieGlu

ShaneLillieGlu

So I've tested this issue in 5.3.1p3 and it's still broken. Did you mean 5.3.1p4, or will we not see a fix for this until 5.4 in March?

43. cstlmode

cstlmode

i have the same issue here , any sprite as parent with child or with multiple children with animation doesn't appear when building to android , despite it works fine in the editor , i've tried the new fix 5.3.1 p3 and it still doen't work ,
    wait until march , that's very long time to wait ,@Yury Habets

44. cstlmode

cstlmode

my problem is fixed , i tried the changing the interpolation thing mentioned above and it worked ,
    thanx a lot guys , i spent like 1 week on this annoying problem

45. jo-seemoore

jo-seemoore

Hi,
    I still have the issue too with 5.3.p3...

As soon as I rotate my animated object, Y coordinates seems to pile up it flies into the sky.

All my animations were exported in Maya with FBX, is there an export setting to fix this?
    My artist will go mad about having to re-export all the animations! If only there were a way to fix this...

46. Potaski

Potaski

We have similar problems with 5.3.1p3,everything is fine in editor. But on ios or android, animation using euler curves will report NaN values if I try to get the object's rotation (the animation plays wrong, too). Changing rotation curve interpolation to quaternion solved the problem. However it requires our artists to fix every curve (euler is default when authoring animation within unity), and you know that artist will forget stuff and occasionally breaks the build.

47. mikhail111777

mikhail111777

There are two BUGs reported in this topic. The original BUG appears on Android, and it can be fixed by turning off "Optimize Game Objects" in the model importer. It has nothing to do with the second BUG with rotation interpolation.

48. chaseholton

chaseholton

I'm downloading 5.3.1p3 as we speak, and I hear it isn't fixed still?? I'm having the 'second BUG with rotation interpolation" on my iOS builds. So I've been scripting rotation for pickups and stuff, no big deal. However! I want to get a boss in the game and finished before the PAX submission date on Feb 8th. If the bug isn't fixed before then, (pointing at 5.4 being a GDC thing), then that really puts a stink on things. Then again, PAX happens in April, so maybe I can hope for the best with no boss now and add it before the show. I don't know I'm rambling. But this rotation stuff is annoying!

49. hongouru

hongouru

THANKS THANKS THANKS THANKS THANKS THANKSTHANKS THANKS THANKSTHANKS THANKS THANKS

hours lost making small changes and building the project all over again uploading to my phone and nothing... I also thought I was crazy until I read this post...

have a nice day

50. Yury-Habets

Yury-Habets

Unity Technologies

I'd like to apologize for the confusion -
    There was another math bug being backported to 5.3.1p3. The animation-rotation issue is not yet fixed, animation team is on it. In the meanwhile please use the workaround.

Sorry for the inconvenience.