Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity 5.3 Performance issues

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by rstorm000, Dec 8, 2015.

1. KillMobil

KillMobil

My god! That seems to have fixed the problem! ...well apart from that big Deprecated title above...
    Been struggling all this time!-) I hope this is not has not been repeated in the post.
    Thanks Senior Dantus!

What does this mean thought? are the any other forum posts or articles i can read?
    Imagine that it cant be good running in deprecated Api...?

2. Kronnect

Kronnect

Yes, on Mac we had to disable Automatic Graphics API and revert to OpenGL 2.
    Open GL 4 is not only slow but also breaks image effects on Mac.

drawcode and KillMobil like this.
  3. johnpine

johnpine

On Android I get now terrible performance with the latest Unity 5.3.2p2. Tested with the game which has been on the market about a year build with Unity 4.6. It runs 60fps.
    Now with Unity 5.3 the fps is about 15fps, sometimes it suddenly jumps to 60fps but soon degrades back to 10-20fps range which almost makes the game unplayable. The performance of todays top notch Android phones are the level of iPhone 4 with Unity 5.3.

4. Kronnect

Kronnect

I have also noticed performance spikes with Speedtree. It occurs for a fragment of second, scene freezes, like loading a different LOD for the trees. It's much more noticiable in 5.3.1 than 5.1.1.

Reading this thread it's clear 5.3.x has degraded a lot. I hope 5.4 passes performance tests compared with 5.1 and not with 5.3.

5. Catacomber

Catacomber

I have fairly decent hardware on my PC but upgrading to 5.3x has made it impossible for me to get any work done on a new project. Everything is so slow on Windows 10. Loading new assets I bought in the Asset Store--the demo scenes freeze in many cases. I'll try El Capitan on Mac where I have really souped up ram but not hopeful.

I have to revert. But which version should I revert to? 4.6?

6. Kronnect

Kronnect

Well, that's a big step back.
    Just fyi I'm fine with 5.1.1p4

Catacomber likes this.
  7. Catacomber

Catacomber

Thanks. After I reinstall 5.1, I'll go there. : ) Thanks very much.

Fortunately, I was starting a new project but some of my assets updated for 5.3. I hope I can still use them. I'm going to take a break from buying new assets until things get sorted out. While I could try the demo of Manufactura K4's Far Eastern asset, which is gorgeous, in 4.6 --it flowed beautifully--and was looking forward to using those assets in 5.3--I froze in 5.3 trying the demo game and if I freeze trying the demo--what does that mean for the performance of the assets in a game?

I couldn't even move in the demo in 5.3 and that was true for many of the new assets I bought recently. The demos just froze or they look horrible, have errors and don't work. Very discouraging.

These assets I bought all got 5 stars and I know they're good assets.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
  8. Catacomber

Catacomber

@Thrawb75--

just to be sure--this is the version you're comfortable with-----

5.1.1p4 not 5.2.1 or anything else?

: ) Thanks.

9. daisySa

daisySa

The frame rate drops surfaced somewhere in 5.2 (for me, anyway). You should be OK with 5.1.3.

10. daisySa

daisySa

Note though that it's only a temporary workaround, as legacy OpenGL support is being dropped in June.

https://unity3d.com/unity/roadmap

11. Dantus

Dantus

They wanted to remove it for Windows in Unity 5.4, but because of the performance problems, it is now at risk. If the performance issues are not resolved, this won't happen. The people who work for Unity are not stupid!

12. daisySa

daisySa

Ah, that's good news - thanks.

13. HelpMe_Please

HelpMe_Please

14. Kronnect

Kronnect

I guess any 5.1.x will be fine.

15. Shushustorm

Shushustorm

DrKucho likes this.
  16. Catacomber

Catacomber

17. Catacomber

Catacomber

Well, a few new updates to some of my assets that would be really useful to me---like DK UMA2 integration with the ORK Framework so I can make a nice custom character and character creation screen--it is absolutely awesome---and what I forgot---the new turn-based, tile-based addition to ORK that a lot of us worked so hard to get financed in a group buy----are going to require me to update so I am biting the bullet. I downloaded the most recent patch and it seems to help---haven't tried the heavy assets like Manufactura K4's Far Eastern pack and its demo yet but will get there. It's downloading. . .

I have to have faith all this will come together.

If I have a problem with an asset, I'll write the developer in a friendly way. I think I'll not buy new assets for a little while to see how things work out. I understand Playmaker was broken with this update but someone from our ORK forum wrote them for a fix. The more we talk to each other in a constructive way the better.

This is a three-way conversation--us (the developers)--Unity--and asset store pack creators. They have to check their stuff too. Like someone here did with their particle effects. It was really nice to see an asset creator here adding to the conversation.

The Standard Assets Demo works for me fine--no lag--no performance problems--of course--there's not much in there---but it works. So I think that means that any asset I add--I've got to make sure it's working for Unity 5.3.x and if it isn't, I will write the asset creator. A heads up that there might be a problem might keep them from getting a negative rating that isn't necessarily their fault.

It reminds me of the problems with il2cpp for ios--and those got worked out---so hoping.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2016
    protopop likes this.
  18. BenouKat

BenouKat

Thanks ! :)

19. Landci

Landci

same problem here, see huge frame drop on iphone4.
    now there have been a lot of bug reports send.
    Is there any update on when this is going to be fixed??
    or if there is a warkaround??

MrEsquire likes this.
  20. Papatriz

Papatriz

Same here.
    Test device: IPad 3
    Unity 5.3.2: 30 fps (with target 60)
    Unity 5.2.4: 60 fps

Simple scene with a few low-poly models with the same material, batched dynamically as well.
    In tests I turn off step by step UI, lights, particle systems - all these doesn't matter.
    Only count of objects matter: 1 is ok, 2 is ok, 3 - fps drops to 40, 4 - fps drops to 30. 6-10 - fps still 30.
    On Unity 5.2 fps remains 60 with 10 objects and all other things (UI, lights, etc)

Will investigate deeper tonight.

MrEsquire likes this.
  21. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Try with the latest patch 3 also.
    As there seems to been quiet a few changes

22. Catacomber

Catacomber

Have had really bad performance problems with 5.3.2f1 now after putting in a lot of assets. Our game is not a small one.

Reverting once more to 5.3.0 so I can keep the benefit of some of my important assets. But not sure if there will be good performance there or not.

I'm getting really good at uninstalling and reinstalling Unity versions on two platforms. That's about all I'm getting good at in Unity.

If this doesn't work going back to 4.6.

23. HevyDevy83

HevyDevy83

Just to add something to this still very relevant issue i made a few tests during the last days and posted about it in a separat thread

The conclusion is that the performance currently is really bad (and was already with the previous versions) and even if we try to use all the recommended technologies (batching, lightmaps) we cannot find a way to make our app run smooth on current devices - besides high-end-devices like iPhone 6 of course.

The worst thing though is that we have no understanding why the performance is so bad. It is not the amount of drawcalls and not the shadowing per se. Also the fps, at least on android are just all over the place. How is it possible that in a scene with only static (lightmapped) objects, one light and one camera the fps are jumping between 20 and 25 (cap is at 30) without anything happening (no input by the user, no moving objects, no particles).

I know there is already a lot of stuff writen in this thread, but i still would really appreciate any suggestions or tipps that can help us to reach an acceptable performance for our game.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2016
    leni8ec likes this.
  24. Potaski

Potaski

As far as I can tell after recent months of working with 5.3, the conclusion is that the performance bottle neck is not "traditional" performance killers, such as drawcalls, dynamic light&shadows, complex shaders, etc. I heavily optimized my shader, reduced 50% of math operations in ps, lower render resolution to 360p and combine texture&mesh everywhere, performance almost doesn't improve. Which means, it's not the complex shaders, and many drawcalls that kills the performance, the slow-down is more CPU bound. Hopefully 5.4 could fix all these, otherwise maybe consider go back to 5.2 or 5.1. A problem like this already exist for several months by now, I have actually begin to doubt whether it will ever be fixed, not a good sign.

leni8ec likes this.
  25. angel_m

angel_m

I'm afraid you are right. :(

26. BenouKat

BenouKat

This is weird because I was on 5.2, jump to 5.3.3p1, and my performances increase. Particles processing seems a bit faster than before, and UI seems less heavy (still a pain, but less).

27. v2-Ton-Studios

v2-Ton-Studios

I can confirm the general sentiment here re Performance AND dot release quality.

I recently made the switch to 5.3.3 from 5.2.3, and had to go back to 5.2.3. With 5.3.3, FPS dropped from 60+ to 30-40 and stretching began to occur at the right edge of the screen.

Particle systems seemed to be the cause.

As a long time Unity Pro user I'd be remiss if I didn't add another voice to the choir here. The quality from release to release just isn't the same as it was a few years ago. Having worked at a large software company for much of my professional career I can say with confidence that this is something to worry about. Variance in quality like this is often the result of many small problems, as well as a few major ones. My guess is it's mostly due to out of date processes -- the way of doing things that got Unity here, just doesn't work across a larger, geographically distributed workforce.

However, not all is lost. These kinds of problems can be corrected.

As is often the case with these things, admitting there is a problem is the first step. It's okay Unity, you've grown a bit too fast, have a real competitor in Unreal, and need to make some very hard bets in a shifting landscape: mobile, VR/AR, console/PC. We all know it's tough to make it in this kind of a marketplace.

The thing I'd like to see, and the best thing I think Unity could do, is to admit they've got a problem. Be honest with their most ardent users and work with them to change things.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2016
  28. clearrose

clearrose

Is it safe now to upgrade from 5.3.1f1 to 5.3.3? or should we wait until 5.4 is released? we have been a little shy about updating because of all the bugs.

Shushustorm likes this.
  29. Shushustorm

Shushustorm

When you take a look at the roadmap ( https://unity3d.com/unity/roadmap ), "Stability & Bug Fixing" isn't colored as "on track", "at risk" or as "delayed". I wonder what's up with that. Is there no goal to resolve certain issues until 5.4 gets released? Is this just some general overhaul? What is going to happen? This is so exciting!

DrKucho likes this.
  30. mdrotar

mdrotar

Don't get too excited. "Stability & Bug Fixing" has been at the top of every release since they started the roadmap. It's just to let you know that they are also working on fixing bugs. They aren't developing a fixed set of features/bug fixes per release. They do releases based on fixed release dates. Anything that isn't done by the deadline doesn't make it into the release. There were a bunch of features that have been cut from the 5.4 release because they weren't going to be done in time. The release of 5.4 happens to coincide with GDC, so I suppose it's possible there could be a surprise announcement but my hopes are not up.

Edit: actually I wouldn't be surprised if they announce some new service, like collaboration tools or cloud data or some other service that further locks you into a commitment to Unity. But I'd rather hear "nested prefabs".

Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
    leni8ec likes this.
  31. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Nah stuff that. Heart is on sleeve, it'll rock. Keep the optimism high. At least as high as the hangman's noose.

32. DrKucho

DrKucho

subscribed to this thread , waiting specially for the BatchRenderer.Flush issue when using particles, i just downgraded to unity 5.1.4 and problem is gone but other things of my project went stupid cause of the downgrade :-(

33. clearrose

clearrose

At least you were able to downgrade. Our project was too broken when we tried to downgrade back to unity 5.2 from 5.3.1f1.

34. DrKucho

DrKucho

sorry to hear that, and yeah i don't complain much , my game is 2D so i guess there are not many changes on every new version of unity , but still, the counterpart of being 2D is many bugs are not even found / reported , for example 2D compound colliders were failing to trigger OnCollisionEnter2D sometimes, i thought it was my code , then suddenly all collisions were triggering correctly , that was when i moved to unity 5, then in unity 5.2 all compound colliders collisions were NOT triggering AT ALL, fixed back on 5.3 ... weird thing is when i google for these issues i don't find any person talking about this issue as bug, they just think it works like that and you have to put scripts on ever game object with a compound collider.

35. DrKucho

DrKucho

thanks God i just installed 5.2.3.p3 and Compound Colliders 2D DO trigger OnCollisionEnter2D , plus BatchRenderer.Flush does not jump when particles are fired

36. pahe

pahe

You tried this already? I can confirm that GLES2 is much better performance wise than GLES3.

DrKucho likes this.
  37. DrKucho

DrKucho

funny, right now i was checking how to change the open GL thing that i have read somewhere on this thread this afternoon, not sure it was related with my problem but, it grabbed my attention also cause if i remember well... it was basically related to macs? or ...not?

38. DrKucho

DrKucho

i see now that in Edit/ProjectSettings/Player and then on the Standalone/OtherSettings there is this option named AutoGraphics API for Windows, and that you can unselect and then choose Direct3D versions Or OpenGL , but , im confused cause im on a mac and it says "Windows" ... is it the same despite it does not refers to mac ?

Last edited: Mar 4, 2016
  39. pahe

pahe

Hm... I see three different buttons, one for each standalone platform. i'm on 5.3.3 though, not sure if there was that option before. OSX uses only OpenGL and Metal, while Windows also offers DirectX options.

Bildschirmfoto 2016-03-04 um 10.23.23.png

DrKucho likes this.
  40. jesusluvsyooh

jesusluvsyooh

I'm also having high cpu usage on one PC but not the other, tried about 6 different versions now all with same outcome, and this only started with 5.3.3p1
    Hoping next patch fixes it, as i can't figure it out.

Yep, 10 tris, and 1 drawcall batch, 0 animations and meshes makes cpu go 90% +
    It is a server/networked games so could be that, worked fine and had less than 4% cpu usage on previous Unity versions.
    Windows standalone build, built from Unity Mac
    Image below is the from the editor showing that barely anything runs in the scene.
    Screen Shot 2016-03-04 at 11.27.38.png

Edit: My weird CPU usage is still there on 5.3.3p2

EDIT : IVE FIXED THIS. Check page 12.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2016
  41. DrKucho

DrKucho

there is a new patch 5.3.3p4 released today , i don't understand much but these fixes are related to OpenGL
    • (762687) - OpenGL: Fixed Graphics API switching between different OpenGL versions.
    • (762687) - OpenGL: Fixed Graphics API switching to OpenGL ES.
    • (767857), (766778) - OpenGL: Fixed Mesh skinning artifacts in editor.
    • (763875) - OpenGL: Fixed point size support using GLSL snippets.
    • (none) - OpenGL: Fixed various shader compiler issues for OpenGL ES 3 / Core.
    • (none) - OS X: Fixed OpenGL performance regression on NVidia GPUs.

42. v2-Ton-Studios

v2-Ton-Studios

I'll try and find time this week to give 5.3.3p4 a try and report back. Anyone else here try it already? Any notes?

43. Liviuss

Liviuss

Updated from 5.3.3p1 to 5.3.3p2 and get a 5-10fps loss on a S5 device :/ I will try on a non Mali device to compare the results.

Running into some strange issues with performance since Unity5, the game start with a solid 60fps and it's ok for a random time(5 - 20 min). At some point with random conditions(collision, velocity increase or spawning a shuriken effect) the rendering time increase by 50-100% and i get a massive fps drop. The strange thing is when i put the game in background mode(pressing home button) and bring it back in active mode it start to render again at solid 60FPS but only for a 15-30 sec and after that time rendering time increase again, and it's not a memory problem. If i change the scene and do GC and UnloadUnusedAssets the issue still persist. Someone with the same symptoms?

Last edited: Mar 6, 2016
  44. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Patch 5.3.3p2 is latest, there no 5.3.3 p3 or p4
    I suggest trying 5.3.3p2 as contains lot Android fixes

45. Liviuss

Liviuss

Ups, i mean "update from 5.3.3p1 to 5.3.3p2"

46. RavenMikal

RavenMikal

5.2.3p was the one that fixed all my UI glitches I was having with 5.1, so I know its stable and runs as well as 4.6 did for me. ^_^

I figure they're getting close to a similarly stable 5.3 version. ^_^

47. aaronjbaptiste

aaronjbaptiste

5.3.3p2 did not fix my performance issues with OpenGLCore (OSX) - 1-3 fps. Removing Core and having OpenGL2 set gives a stable 60fps.

AShim-3D and MrEsquire like this.
  48. v2-Ton-Studios

v2-Ton-Studios

This is starting to get hilarious, but in a very depressing way.

I installed 5.3.3p2, it fixes the screen stretching I noted earlier, performance is a bit better, 40 fps rather than 30. I wish that was the end of it. Sadly, the quality randomization circus continues.

Before "upgrading" to 5.3.3, I did some additional testing with 5.2 and noticed that my hero would move early during his attack animation (basically I set his attackMoveSpeed to 0 at the start of his attack and then update it via an animation event within each attack, some attacks have steps, some don't). In addition, the execution of things like a turn-around animation would init, but not complete, instead looping infinitely.

Until recently I was deving on a Windows 10 machine, now on a Mac -- I was sure that it was due to input difference between Mac and Windows. Frustrating no doubt, but somewhat understandable.

Turns out, upgrading to 5.3.3p2 clears everything up on the Mac. No more moving before attacking, no more getting stuck in a turn animation.

But, my xbox 360 for windows controller no longer works. It did on 5.2. I use https://github.com/JISyed/Unity-XboxCtrlrInput, I'm sure many of you do as well.

EDIT got the controller to work. Upgrading to 5.3.3 deleted my input config file. Weird or expected?

@UnityDev+QA Where can I find detailed patch notes? Why are things so different between patches? I get difference like these between dot-releases, well not really, but I can live with them, but patches...?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2016
  49. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Did you file a bug report?

50. aaronjbaptiste

aaronjbaptiste