Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity 5.3 Performance issues

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by rstorm000, Dec 8, 2015.

1. holliebuckets

holliebuckets

@AaronC
    Are you able to submit the project as a Bug Report? If you have can you send me the Bug #?

hippocoder likes this.
  2. AaronC

AaronC

No console errors, its the rendering according to profiler.

3. AaronC

AaronC

Its about 5 gigs

holliebuckets likes this.
  4. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I think it would be worth it, Unity can prepare FTP space for you if you like? It would enable them to fix and possibly identify other issues for you as well. Or if it's hosted, you can give them FTP details.

5. AaronC

AaronC

Possibly. This project was due last november so all I care about its getting it out of my life right now.

The thing is there are so many unexpected problems around lighting, mecanim, etc that I can't tell whats actually wrong half the time. Trying to understand shadows presently is like trying to win the lottery.
    I started listing bugs but unless Unity starts paying me for my time I'm better off finding hacks. Theres more bugs in this program than I have freebie minutes to donate to the company.

(Sorry I know this is a performance thread but no point submitting a project with one bug when I have 10 on my plate)

I am happy to work by the hour or case by case though if Unity's willing to pay for QA.

dakka, TurboNuke, clearrose and 2 others like this.
  6. cstlmode

cstlmode

hello unity dev team ,
    as other people here , i have encountered some issues with the latest unity , my problem is with android and animation , seams like sprites that are animated inside unity and are parents to a child or to multiple children becomes invisible when building to android , despite it works fine in the editor .
    i have tried to downgrade to 5.2 but it seams like that ruined my project , the animation half works in both the editor and on android device ,except the rotation which it doesn't work even if the values variation is still saved on unity animation timelline ,

7. Dantus

Dantus

If you are trying to get help on that issue, you should start a new thread just with that topic. It is very unlikely that someone will be able to help you in this thread.

You always have to make backups before you upgrade. That's your responsibility. Unity doesn't support that. Using version control would be even better.

8. cstlmode

cstlmode

@Dantus , i have made a backup just before the downgrade , i wasn't sure about where to post my issue thanx a lot for letting me know ,

9. SCS_Dani

SCS_Dani

After upgrading our project to 5.3.1, in addition to the already reported performance problems, we have the follwing FMOD error:

Error: Cannot create FMOD::Sound instance for resource (null), (An invalid parameter was passed to this function. )
    UnityEngine.WWW:get_movie()

This happens when using www.movie or getting audio channels. We have filled a bug report: Case 762991

AShim-3D likes this.
  10. cstlmode

cstlmode

android animation problem is fixed by doing changing rotation interpolation , in case someone is struggling with this annoying issue , last patch didn't fix the issue apparently
    http://i.imgur.com/ERuhBGM.png

11. Gametyme

Gametyme

12. bartm4n

bartm4n

@SCS_Dani @cstlmode @Gametyme

The topic of this thread is Unity 5.3 Performance Issues. It's not a general support or bug report thread, so you need to start a separate thread if you are wanting help with unrelated issues. You are only serving to clutter/derail an existing thread. Thanks.

pahe likes this.
  13. clearrose

clearrose

I have noticed that there are no live turtorials scheduled. It appears to me that the programing team has been unsuccessful solving all the new bug issues, resulting

in the training team unable to make or even plan live tutorials. I also wondering that all these issues will result in Unity going bankrupt, leaving all of the developers out in the cold with no money for their efforts.

14. willgoldstone

willgoldstone

Unity Technologies

Dear clearrose,

As tempting as it is to respond in an inflammatory manner to your post, pointing out grammatical errors - such as 'programing' and 'turtorials', which I can only assume are turtle related learning materials? - I would certainly not act in such a manner. Instead I would question why this response is posted here rather than within the Teaching forum, as it doesn't pertain to performance of Unity itself.

However, your phrasing and insinuation of course does imply that a lack of training material scheduled on our live training page is somehow mystically related to performance, so let's address that much here.
    Whilst I won't sit here and start to pick at anyone's comments on the performance of Unity - I agree (and everyone in our engineering team knows) that we have plenty to improve, and we will always be optimising - for you, for free, because we love doing it (and get paid to, sure). But, like The Dude - what I cannot abide by is your suggestion that my team has just given up on scheduling new classes because we simply cannot make anything to teach in Unity. This is just silly - there's not a better term for it.
    What I will say, is that we should have messaged what is going on to the community - for that I hold my hands up and apologise. The actual fact of the matter is that we were wrapping up a few other tasks and are holding summit talks this week in the UK about our next few quarters, and how we can better serve Unity's 4.5m developer audience with our still small team (there were 7, we just added two new members so we are now 9) - we haven't scheduled a set of new sessions as we are taking time to re evaluate our areas of focus, what we want to teach, and how best we can serve you. Well, not you specifically, but the 'developers out in the cold with no money for their efforts' you are forewarning us about, like some kind of game-dev ghost of christmas future.

So, in summary, whilst I appreciate your accusation - the key takeaways here are, 1) ask in the correct forum politely and you shall heed the truth, and it shall be righteous 2) let us worry about the Biz dev side of Unity, and don't assume we're not pouring our hearts and souls into keeping this dream alive so that you can keep yours.

Love and hugs,

Will

protopop, guzzo, ekt and 9 others like this.
  15. vogtcha

vogtcha

Just upgraded from 5.1.3 to 5.3.2. Big mistake.
    I had a lock stock 60FPS (actually 59FPS) with my project on 5.1.3.
    Upgraded and now performance is fluctuating from 20FPS to 50FPS, with noticable dips during the use of particle effects.

I dont have much time to test beta buggy versions of Unity, so i am reverting to 5.1.4. I will keep an eye out on the forum to see if the performance issues are resolved.

PS: Pretty disappointed...

AaronC and DesertRaven like this.
  16. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

I'm not seeing any links to 5.3.2, still says for me 5.3.1 is latest version, also this is not BETA.
    Unity 5.4 is in beta, so maybe you got confused with version you downloaded?

17. vogtcha

vogtcha

You are right, 5.3.1f1 was the specific version I installed. And by beta, I meant I dont have time to try out 5.4.

In any case, still dont understand why there is such a major drop in performance between 5.1.3 and 5.3.1. Something is definitely wrong with this build.

DesertRaven likes this.
  18. vogtcha

vogtcha

Re-installed 5.1.4 and I am back to rock solid 60fps on the same project.

DesertRaven likes this.
  19. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Well we know there are performance problems in 5.3, this is why the thread was created.
    But it would be better if you tried to see where the issue located, you have not mentioned the device or platform your created the game for. Also the patch releases fixed some issues for 5.3, so 5.3.1p3 may boost it slightly, but no confirmation of this.

20. vogtcha

vogtcha

Using Windows 10 - Web Player running DX9.
    As I mentioned, there was very noticable issues during the use of particle effects.

Might try 5.3.2 when released but only if there is confirmation of a resolution.

21. Neonlyte

Neonlyte

I was modifying my project and all of a sudden I started to get stutters when it compiles on my iPad 4

This happened before. When I tried to move my project from 5.2 to 5.3 without changing anything, there were weird stutters. Last time when I tried, somehow, it did not happen. And now it came back.

I tried to use profiler and what I got was spikes of overhead. I cannot tell what the overhead was.

Falling back to 5.2.3 for now...

22. AlteredPlanets

AlteredPlanets

Hello,

So when I run my game , at start it runs(still low because of low engine performance) , but then about 5 min later the game begins to run even slower , memory usage increases and then it crashes(also the did not move player or execute any in game actions)

Also some times the editor sometimes crashes my GPU as well

Please respond and I will post a report with a scene of this, because project is pretty large.

does not happen in other apps on desktop

Version Unity 5.3.1p4, Platform PC

23. nasos_333

nasos_333

I can confirm that on my side the massive particle related slow downs have been resolved and the particle related errors in v5.3.1f1 are solved in v5.3.1p4.

There is still an all new error i get with reflection camera and particle activation (very strange one and points to the water4 reflection script, in reflection camera .render() method run)

It is so close to everything work, lets hope next updates will make perfect :)

24. GXMark

GXMark

I am a PRO user of unity for years now and have been writing an RPG game for the last year and have diligently updated my unity version through the 4 to 5 releases. Due to being in a development cycle which is not close to production yet I have had the luxury of putting unity through its paces a lot. The work I do is not GI Enlighten based because my game is purely dynamic procedural world building. I am targeting standalone platforms which are Windows and Mac but i am getting huge performance swings post 5.2 unity versions regarding deployment to the Mac Pro Mid 2015.

My latest game build which can be accessed from www.virtuoso-life.com has two installs Windows/Mac but my user base is really complaining at how horrid the mac performance is. Here are some empirical stats taken by the users recently.

Medieval Docks Parcel Windows (7,8,10) Users Averaging [52 - 80fps, NVidia 600 - 960 Cards]
    Mac Users (Yosemite & Capitan) Users Averaging [12 - 24fps, Mac Pros (2014, mid 2015s)]

Virtuoso Arc Parcel Windows (7,8,10) Users Averaging [60 - 105fps, NVidia 600 - 960 Cards]
    Mac Users (Yosemite & Capitan) Users Averaging [15 - 28fps, Mac Pros (2014, mid 2015s)]

The mac builds are experiencing nasty GUI flickering with the new GUI system where when you close a panel it flickers with some kind of atlas showing behind.

I am at a loss why the mac is performing so badly and the windows platforms are performing so good. I've tried all quality settings. I've tried stripping out the water, the drawing of trees grass on the terrain with exactly the same relative performance issues as shown above.

I don't want to harp on about this anymore but this thread has become very hot indeed but after taking out all the emotional content there does seem to be real issues with unity 5.3/5.4 deployments to macs. It is very difficult to package up these kind of performance issues and give to unity due to the extensive complexity of user game development but this issue REALLY does exist I think unity should look into this carefully. It may turn out to be an apple related issue but some more analysis and feedback would be much appreciated by this thread and community in general.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2016
    AShim-3D and MrEsquire like this.
  25. nasos_333

nasos_333

I had two reports of a performance issue for my packs when water was involved, in one scene that i had removed the reflection script / camera the performance was back on track on the tested Mac, so one suggestion would be to eliminate all other cameras than main and reflection as a first step (And other effects that may use a separate Camera.Render() function)

Trees and grass on Unity terrain are very bad for performance in general as well. SpeedTree is also an overkill (at least when you dont billboard at nose distance)

The Mac issues are definitly something that needs handling, so far all my major issues with my assets came from Mac related issues that did not happen at all on PC where i test.

26. Dantus

Dantus

You can't expect an analysis in this kind of thread. There are quite some people who have performance issues on Macs, so it is absolutely worth a try in my opinion to create a new thread dedicated to just that more focused topic, in the case it doesn't exist yet.

27. GXMark

GXMark

Its worth a try starting a new thread on this as i'm sure these Mac issues are common across a lot of projects. Its just frustrating that these are inherently major unity issues which always seem to hit the hot wire.

MrEsquire likes this.
  28. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

The performance on mac could be problem due to METAL OSX support not mature yet?

29. dudester

dudester

Hi all , i have a theory on why the performance got so bad , I think that unity's thread pool is causing issues , since this was the latest addition to unity , its not particles cause in a scene without them the framerate is still super low , i dont know much about c++ but in c# if there are more threads then cpu cores the framerate drops drastically , so maybe thats the problem , cause i only have a dual core and a bit of low end one , also i know they changed some stuff in unity.cg and im also wondering if maybe something in there is causing the slow down , but i dont know the inner workings of unity so cant say for sure .

MrEsquire likes this.
  30. AlteredPlanets

AlteredPlanets

makes sense , unity QA please read this

31. Dantus

Dantus

I guess that Unity knows how their engine works, especially for topics like that one.

32. ChikiGames

ChikiGames

Any updates concerning this in the latest unity version (5.3.2)?

33. nasos_333

nasos_333

It has been released today

34. Shizola

Shizola

Does anybody know if there's anything in 5.3.2 that isn't included in the latest patch release? Not sure how the patch updates work.

35. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

This is definitely something they can improve on, its not clear if the final is all patches just together in a build or something new could have been added on top of the 4 patches..Even for us who been around forums for a long time its still not 100 percent clear.

dreasgrech likes this.
  36. Shizola

Shizola

I noticed superpig said this today on the unity slack channel:

"5.3.2 is pretty much just a rollup of the patches with more QA than usual. you can always skip the patches and wait for 5.3.2 and get the same fixes if you want - on the upside it's less disruptive for you and you get the benefit of the extra QA on the build, but on the downside it means waiting longer for the fix, and if it turns out your issue _isn't_ fixed in the build then you're waiting even longer for it to actually be fixed. a good middle ground can be to 'test' the patches (to see if your issue is fixed) but not move your whole team to them".

MrEsquire likes this.
  37. deekpyro

deekpyro

After updating from 5.2.4 to 5.3.2p1 on the Mac (I've been unable to update before due to a TextMesh bug) I too am having my project turn into a slideshow in the editor. The stats window oddly says it's rendering at 200+ FPS - I'm guessing it's something to do with OpenGL 4.1. If someone at Unity would like my project I can upload it though because of this and crashes on iOS I will likely rollback and wait for these issues to shakeout.

38. pahe

pahe

@deekpyro Just create a bug report and upload our project with it. This thread is long abandoned by any official Unity guy.

39. Dave-Carlile

Dave-Carlile

For the sake of adding another data point to this performance discussion, I went ahead and upgraded to the latest (5.3.2p1).

Did a Windows build with the old version and ran the project. Rock solid 150fps.

Did the install, modified code to deal with various deprecation warnings, fixed what is seemingly a new Unity bug (calling the Material.SetTexture overload that takes an integer texture ID was failing to set the texture on a custom shader - had to modify it to use the texture name to get it to work. Don't have a compelling reason to use the integer ID version so no big deal for me, but definitely odd behavior).

Once everything was fixed, did a build of the new version and ran the project. Rock solid 150fps.

So in my experience: seemingly no changes in performance.

That said, I used to have issues where the debugger would seemingly lose the connection with Unity when stepping through code. To fix I would simply swear under my breath, hit the "stop debugging" button VS, stop the project in the Unity editor, re-attach VS, start the project, and move on.

Now when I see that same behavior everything kind of locks up. When in this state, VS stops responding when I stop debugging, and the Unity editor is completely hung. One time it came back from this after waiting for quite awhile. Generally I'm having to force kill the editor.

So while my game performance doesn't seem to be affected, there is still a general feeling of bugginess in the editor in certain scenarios.

40. Bradamante

Bradamante

Not here. Metal performance on El Capitan was very promising in my tests with 5.3.0 but got worse with 5.3.1.
    The real problem is the OpenGL Core performance (on Mac), where I lost maybe 40% of FPS compared to 5.2.x (Open GL 2). Doesn't matter if I have water or particles on or off. I am testing with several ArchViz projects where I have a lot of grass and SpeedTrees. I can't say where exactly the cuprit is. But it also shows in a trivial repro project. In the Profiler most of CPU time is eaten up by "Others" (Overhead below in the list).

Last edited: Feb 1, 2016
  41. AlteredPlanets

AlteredPlanets

more like my experience, but on PC

42. daisySa

daisySa

Agreed that this issue seems to be related to the move to Open GL 4.1.

Has anyone compared the frame rate on the same Mac under OS X versus Windows (Bootcamp) since moving to 5.3 or later?

43. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Well Open GL 3 is not stable on mobiles and each time they move to newer Open GL for any platform there is always a performance decrease until they make it more stable.

44. ModernAlchemist

ModernAlchemist

Mainly talking about Windows Store Universal 8.1 and 10.

We ran into serious trouble of all kinds when upgrading from 4.6 to 5.x.x (we really tried everything, starting from 5.1.4 over 5.2.x to 5.3.2 and 5.3.2p1).

In short: There's no 100 % satisfying version.
    In terms to be "fit for the future", we are now using 5.3.2 (p1) and it seems, that e.g. using QualitySettings.SetQualityLevel is broken. One example: Unity UI labels with textures suddenly have random textures applied or none.
    As soon as we commented that code out, it >> seems << to work. Still have to verify other (not so obvious parts of the game) and hope we don't find any other show stoppers. At least light mapping now seems to work (compared to e.g. 5.1.4).

Also, as an overall first impression, I can say that we are indeed missing many FPS (especially compared to the 4.6 version). All versions used the same (custom - and BASIC) shaders. Where we used to have 40 FPS, it's now about 30.
    See e.g. http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/performance-windows-phone-unity-4-6-5f1-vs-5-0-2f1.328640/

45. Bradamante

Bradamante

Just did a bit of testing with my repro project. Adding WaterProDaytime from Standard Assets is the biggest FPS loss, but it's somewhat proportional (OpenGL2 vs 4).

MrEsquire likes this.
  46. ev3d

ev3d

So has this been fixed yet?

47. BenouKat

BenouKat

Hi guys,

My team will be forced to move on Unity 5.3. We are in 5.2 and everything is stable, but due to an xcode update, we are going to update the engine.

Simple question : Does 5.3 is safe now ? Is there no more BIG problems related to performance or broke some mechanics since the last patch ?
    (I'm asking because the last update 5.1 to 5.2 was a terrible trauma for us)

Thanks a lot community !

48. Zinov

Zinov

5.3.2f1 is more stable than initial 5.3 release from my experience. We too were forced to move to 5.3. due to AppleTV support.

49. KillMobil

KillMobil

I was hopping that the most recent version of unity will be ok but unfortunately bad news...
    Ιn unity 5.3.2 in an empty project i create simple object move around everything dies...
    This happens to me in all versions of 5.3 and above.
    boring video with example:

Simple Mac running Mavericks (10.9.5) with an Intel HD Graphics 5000 1536 MB
    Version 5.2.4f1 seems to be running fine After that its all gone wrong!

Don't want to pile up in all the moaning but something changed in version 5.3 and its just unusable!
    I know i don't have a great Machine but it was all great in version 5.2...

MrEsquire likes this.
  50. Dantus

Dantus

You are using OpenGL 4.1 (OpenGL Core), which is known to be slow in many cases.
    There is the possibility to use -force-opengl as command line argument to use the legacy implementation. If I remember correctly, it didn't work for the editor for at least some 5.3.x versions. I don't know whether that was resolved.

http://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/OpenGLCoreDetails.html

KillMobil likes this.