Search Unity

Unity 5.3.1f1 - Particle system errors - Invalid AABB result / IsFinite(d)

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by gonzorob, Dec 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nasos_333

nasos_333

If the game already uses a lot of threading, would it still be faster ? Is there an option to batch instead of multithread for example (through code perhaps ?). I think batching when emitting meshes would be essential though (especially for effects that may have static particles emitted once).

The isFinite issue and the Out of view frustum issues are both happening in the water reflection script in camera.render(), so there is definitly some connection and a more global issue, so i think it is worth investigating, also now it has been creating more errors (the isFinite for example) in relation to particles, which could show both a missing check in the render() and a particle going out of bounds issue.

Thanks

2. diekeure

diekeure

Since webgl does not support threading, does this mean that particle system performance took a hit on that platform?

Simoense likes this.
  3. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

4. nasos_333

nasos_333

I have tested the new v5.3.2 with Sky Master ULTIMATE and Water 4 reflection and i still get the "!IsFinite(outDistanceForSort)" issue when particles come in the scene.

This error did not happen in Unity v5.3.0 so i hope will be solved soon.

5. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

The particle fixes are in 5.3.2p1 which is not out yet. 5.3.2f1 came out today but does not contain those fixes. It also sounds like the errors you getting are a new problem and not related to the particle issues.
    This is the current case which is still being looked at http://issuetracker.unity3d.com/issues/screen-position-out-of-view-frustum-error-printed-non-stop

6. nasos_333

nasos_333

It only happens when particles come in, so i suppose they could be related. (the "!IsFinite" issue) considering also the new changes in the particle system and that it did not happen before e.g. in v5.3.0

The frustum errors are not related to particles only, they point to the same code line though so there may be some connection (camera.Render() function in Water 4 reflection script) and i had those since Unity 5 release i think.

Thanks for the information, i will wait for the patched version to see if it is fixed.

Is there any way to eliminate these non destructive internal errors from appearing in the log ? So it does not create any slow downs.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2016
  7. Baste

Baste

[QUOTE="karl.jones, post: 2483824, member: 834128"The isFinite issue is an assertion that is caused when the AABB is incorrect. Seeing this message is not guaranteed to be the particle bug which was fixed in 5.3.1p1 so if you are still seeing it then it could be something else.[/QUOTE]

Why are assertions turned on in the versions you ship? Is it to enable people to submit bug reports about under the hood problems?

It would be nice if more of the assertions actually told us what was the issue, and indicated if we should report them. When my console tells me "modifications.empty()" at random intervals, that's not really helping anyone.

8. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Yes we do plan to improve our error messages. Some are not very helpful.

9. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

It seems the patch is now out. 5.3.2p1!!

karl_jones likes this.
  10. fidelsoto

fidelsoto

Great!! Was it released ahead of schedule? Those particle issues were really annoying, thanks for the fixes!

11. terravires

terravires

It's NOT fixed in 5.3.2p1

Code (CSharp):
    1. IsFinite(outDistanceForSort)
    2. UnityEngine.Camera:Render()
    3. UnityStandardAssets.Water.PlanarReflection:RenderReflectionFor(Camera, Camera) (at Assets/Standard Assets/Environment/Water/Water/Scripts/PlanarReflection.cs:200)
    4. UnityStandardAssets.Water.PlanarReflection:RenderHelpCameras(Camera) (at Assets/Standard Assets/Environment/Water/Water/Scripts/PlanarReflection.cs:97)
    5. UnityStandardAssets.Water.PlanarReflection:WaterTileBeingRendered(Transform, Camera) (at Assets/Standard Assets/Environment/Water/Water/Scripts/PlanarReflection.cs:114)
    6. UnityStandardAssets.Water.WaterTile:OnWillRenderObject() (at Assets/Standard Assets/Environment/Water/Water/Scripts/WaterTile.cs:59)

12. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Thats a different bug.https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/issues/screen-position-out-of-view-frustum-error-printed-non-stop

13. terravires

terravires

Sigh, then can we PLEASE have a stable build!??? I had to skip all of the fixes in 5.3.1 because of bugs, now looks like I have to skip 5.3.2.

14. AMO_Noot

AMO_Noot

5.3.2p1 sadly did not fix this issue at all. What's the deal, fellas? =(

The only thing that's changed is that I actually get an additional error thrown into the mix:

Converting invalid MinMaxAABB

Last edited: Jan 28, 2016
  15. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

16. AMO_Noot

AMO_Noot

Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
    karl_jones likes this.
  17. Chuckalicious

Chuckalicious

DUDE!! You are da man! That was exactly the issue I had and the resolution. Can't thank you enough.

Simoense likes this.
  18. zelmund

zelmund

confirm
    particles still broken
    correct me if i dont right, but i thing it was.... 6 patches fixing problems with particles :confused:
    all tools in asset store based on suriken is... broken...

is there alternative for completely replacing internal particles?

19. nasos_333

nasos_333

I hope v5.4 gets at least a month of public release as beta before the official release, since this version brings the most radical changes by far and has the potential to break things more than any other version imo (touching on multithreading with extra error handling, DX9 shaders etc)

There are some non Shuriken packs, one is DX11 and the other is called Particle Field i think, i read in the forum this does not use Shuriken. Also there is cool free GPU particle work by Keijiro (which i may use as base for my own GPU particle system as well that will extend my Particle Dynamic Magic system later)

Link: https://github.com/keijiro/KvantSpray

20. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

You using the patch ? 5.3.2p1 not 5.3.2f1

21. zelmund

zelmund

yes its 5.3.2p1
    we are team of developers (near 15 machines with unity), we have a project with weather and rain inside. and the rain is show us finite errors. same version of unity on different machines.

unity was install from scratch in empty folder. not just replacing previous.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
  22. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Can you submit a bug report with an example project?
    Post the number and we will take a look

23. zelmund

zelmund

thx.
    atm we have 2 machines without any problems. we trying to understand what is going on. when we find our fish, we will report.

karl_jones likes this.
  24. kideternal

kideternal

Just to add my voice, I'm still seeing the same IsFinite spam in VR mode with 5.3.2p1. I don't have time to throw together a test package right now.

The only difference is before the errors occurred when my player's Y was rotated between 0 and 90 degrees, and now it's more like ~288 to ~80 degrees.

25. zelmund

zelmund

same thing. rotating camera in some angle stop spaming errors

26. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

5.4 beta is already available to the public, albeit only those members of the public with a Pro license. Please do test it out if you can!

27. AMO_Noot

AMO_Noot

https://fogbugz.unity3d.com/default.asp?765796_voj44q71dv7e41gl

It appears that our AABB IsFinite issue has been fixed, but not until the release of 5.4... which I'm assuming will be a month or longer, which is a long time to wait since we've already had to deal with the bad performance for a month.

Is there any way we can get this fix in a patch release? Or at the very least, a workaround that allows me to use my particle systems?

Last edited: Jan 31, 2016
  28. LAustralien

LAustralien

I have downloaded the 5.3.2p1 and it fixed my "Invalid AABB a" and other similar errors. However, I now have a different compilation error which did not occur with earlier version of Unity.

The error message I am getting is:
    Assets/Daikon Forge/DFGUI/Editor/dfScriptWizard.cs(200,39): error CS0117: `UnityEditorInternal.InternalEditorUtility' does not contain a definition for `AddScriptComponentUnchecked'

I do realise that the issue is with the DFGUI asset from Daikon Forge which I bought on the Asset Store and I am also aware that this asset shows as "Deprecated" since Unity 5 was released. However, this error message did not occur prior to upgrading to 5.3.2p1. So before I re-write all my UI (which would be a ton of work for a single indie/ noobie developer :) ), any chance someone could let me know if they've seen such problem before and have managed to solve it. By the way, I have also emailed the Daikon Forge developer but I have yet to hear back from them.

Many thanks for your help

29. shawnblais

shawnblais

I can also confirm that 5.3.2p1 fixed all my issues with the crazy particle errors. Thanks guys!

30. Raunchard

Raunchard

5.3.2 also fixed this issue for me, merci.

31. John-B

John-B

I'm seeing this problem in 5.3.1f1 (that's the latest version I see available for download). If I set the space to Local, I get no errors, but the particles will only play once, Play() does nothing after that. If I set the space to World, it plays correctly, but I get a stream of errors in the editor and while playing.

32. AMO_Noot

AMO_Noot

@John B

The current unity version is actually 5.3.2
    https://unity3d.com/get-unity/download?ref=personal

Try 5.3.2p1

http://unity3d.com/unity/qa/patch-releases

33. Baraff

Baraff

34. John-B

John-B

When I download from that first link, I get an installer called: UnityDownloadAssistant-5.3.2f1.dmg, which is what I already have. I'll try the patch release.

Oops, I misread the numbers. I saw the "f" and didn't notice the 2 in front of it.

Update: 5.3.2p1 seems to have fixed the problem. The particles now play more than once, and there's no errors when I switch to World space.

karl_jones likes this.
  35. kideternal

kideternal

I still see IsFinite() errors in both 5.4.0b3 and 5.4.0b4 when my player's rotation is from roughly 10 to 90 degrees.

Plus there's a nice "flip the player upside-down" bug if you re-parent it.

It would be excellent if a proper bug-fix for IsFinite made its way into 5.3.2, as there's no telling what other issues 5.4.0 will include. (Every release in the past 12 months has seemed to fix one thing and introduce a new breakage somewhere else!)

montyfi likes this.
  36. BCJTools

BCJTools

I'm assuming the "p" in the patches means it's for the Pro version or does it mean "patch"? I'm awaiting a fix on the personal version for the AABB dump. Seems a member above was able to apply it to the free version.

37. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

p is for patch. f is for final(or release), b is for beta and a for alpha.
    Patches can be downloaded from here and do not require a pro licence.

38. BCJTools

BCJTools

Thanks. The patch fixed the problem for my project too!

39. Graph

Graph

I can happily confirm that in 5.3.2p2 my problems seem to be solved :)

karl_jones likes this.
  40. Tpmer

Tpmer

I have the same problem! In the Tank tutorial.Do you fixed it?

41. greenPadawan

greenPadawan

I have the same problem:(

42. roger-wang

roger-wang

Good news. i will download 5.3.2p1.
    thanks share this information.

43. greenPadawan

greenPadawan

This issue is resolved with version 5.3.2f1

44. AMO_Noot

AMO_Noot

I was still having troubles with 5.3.2p1 with the AABB spam.

Weirdly, I recreated the troublesome particle systems from scratch, and NO errors have been popping up. I have no idea why that'd be the case since it's identical to the original prefab, but I'm not complaining. Many thanks for the fixes.

45. xDavidLeon

xDavidLeon

This is NOT fixed in 5.3.2f1, and neither in 5.3.2p1.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
  46. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

47. zelmund

zelmund

48. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Yes it seems to be related to reflections.

49. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

50. zelmund

zelmund

i didnt. will test it in time, but i doubt that problem gone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.