Search Unity

Unity 5.2 Mecanim Transitions not working the same as 5.1

Discussion in 'Animation' started by David-Flook, Sep 9, 2015.

1. David-Flook

David-Flook

Since I've upgraded from 5.1 to 5.2 my mecanim transitions don't work properly at all.
    I have a 2d character with limbs moving about the z-axis. In 5.2, the transitions aren't smooth.
    The limbs twitch here and there, sometimes jumping to a completely new angles.

I've loaded a 5.1 build into 5.2 and a 5.2 build into 5.1 to confirm that identical projects behave differently in different versions of Unity.

I think it may have something to do with how it transitions larger angles greater than 180 degrees.
    It seems as if the angle is less than 180, it makes a smooth transition but if it's over 180, there is a quirky "jump" in the transition.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2015
    Bruce_GMC and Andimator like this.
  2. Photonic4140412

Photonic4140412

Bruce_GMC likes this.
  3. kingofmyworld324

kingofmyworld324

I think I am experiencing a similar issue. I have temporarily fixed it by changing the speed of the animation although this is a far from optimal fix.

4. David-Flook

David-Flook

I've submitted a bug report with the attached project to demonstrate the problem.

In 5.1, the arm rotates clockwise choosing the shortest angle.
    In 5.2, it attempts to rotate counterclockwise and includes a sudden jump.

Attached Files:

Bruce_GMC likes this.
  5. HarryCodder

HarryCodder

There's definitely a problem with blend trees in unity 5.2.

When testing, I could find a value on the blend parameter where the spine bone would jump from a x-rotation of 331 deg to a x-rotation of 55 deg in one frame (and then back a few frames later).
    In the first animation, the spine bone doesn't rotate at 331 deg and in the second animation it rotates from 350 to 10 deg. I can't figure why it would go to 55 deg, no part of both animations have this bone point this side at all.

Could not find a way to fix this and blend trees are pretty much unusable in this state.

Armend and Bruce_GMC like this.
  6. flumbatron

flumbatron

Yup same issues. When blending, a bone rotates very little and in the wrong direction at first, then quickly jumps to a rotation that is beyond either animation clip, then settles in to the correct end state.

edit: to clarify this happens in a 2d BlendTree

7. Honikou

Honikou

Same for me, crossfade didn't work on unity 5.2...

8. sebeisdrache

sebeisdrache

I having the same problem with blending between layers.

9. TalesGalu

TalesGalu

Same here. When a transition comes from "Any state" or a empty state, it happens this.
    I made a video showing the transition error:

It was working fine on 5.1.3, but when I updated to 5.2, I've got a lot of YALM errors and now the transitions look like this.

Bruce_GMC likes this.
  10. Lynxed

Lynxed

Getting this after upgrade to 5.1.3 -> 5.2. If you have a transition from Linear (1D) Blendtree to watever with "has no exit time", you get errors.

Character disapears from the screen, when this happens.

upload_2015-9-13_12-39-48.png

Last edited: Sep 13, 2015
    Bruce_GMC likes this.
  11. TheSniperFan

TheSniperFan

I'm having trouble with Unity 5.2 too. I play a simple animation when the player is suffering damage or is being healed.

The way they were set up is simple: They don't contain any information really, but merely a state. For example, the heal "animation" is just a single frame with more bloom. Up until 5.2 the transition that Mecanim did back to the default state worked just fine.
    Now it doesn't interpolate/transition anymore. The screen flashes up, then goes back to normal instantaneously once the "transition" is over.
    Here's a screenshot of the basic setup:

MecanimProblem5-2.png

Bruce_GMC likes this.
  12. David-Flook

David-Flook

The issue has been reproduced by the Unity QA team and sent to the developers for resolution.

Bruce_GMC likes this.
  13. adamgryu

adamgryu

Just wanted to chime in that I'm seeing this issue too. Any time my character transitions from one state to another, some part of the animation jumps to the next rotation without tweening properly. It looks like a gimble lock problem? I'm really hoping for a fast fix on this one!

EDIT: Is there a link to this bug on the issue tracker? I'd like to vote it up, since it seems pretty urgent.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
  14. kognito1

kognito1

I'll +1 this; many of our animations no longer crossfade correctly (they work fine in 4.3 - 5.1.x). It's unfortunately a showstopper for us.

15. Bruce_GMC

Bruce_GMC

+1
    We too are getting this issue, and as a result, all of our characters' animations look like dooky.
    We would also like a link to the issue on issue tracker to link with our internal bug reports.
    For now this thread will have to do.

16. McMayhem

McMayhem

I'd like to throw my hat into the ring and say that I'm having the exact same issue. Only I just transitioned from Legacy to Mecanim after 5.2 so I thought this was just the inherent way Mecanim handles things and figured it was just a piece of crap. However, I'm unable to achieve what I need to do with standard animation and thus am forced to switch to this system. Hopefully this get's fixed soon or some kind of work around is discovered.

Bruce_GMC likes this.
  17. HarryCodder

HarryCodder

Mecanim is usually great, I think this is just a hiccup that should never have been in a major release.
    An annoying hiccup still.

18. kurozael

kurozael

I am also having this problem. Is there any official word from the Unity developers on this yet?

19. Andimator

Andimator

+1 I found this happening when we upgraded from Unity 4 to 5.

20. Sake906

Sake906

I had to downgrade to 5.1.3. This problem is too obnoxious.

21. HarryCodder

HarryCodder

Yeah this problem makes Unity 5.2 unusable for anyone using mecanim.
    Anyway, I just tested it in 5.2.0p1 and it wasn't fixed.

Bruce_GMC likes this.
  22. Ghikya

Ghikya

Yes, sadly the problem wasn't fixed in 5.2.0p1

Bruce_GMC likes this.
  23. any_user

any_user

Have the same problem, all my animated characters look broken now. Would be great to know if there's a fix coming soon..

Bruce_GMC likes this.
  24. WendelinReich

WendelinReich

@Mecanim.Dev I think such a large and confirmed issue should be acknowledged in the patch notes under "known issues". As of 5.2.0p1, it is not...

dreasgrech and Bruce_GMC like this.
  25. Bruce_GMC

Bruce_GMC

I sent Nintendo an email to make sure that they are aware of this issue before they decide to make 5.2.0f3 a version capable of creating masters...

I thought 5.2 would be good enough to keep us from updating the editor any more but it's now so bad that I have to grab the newest updates still... Dang

26. McMayhem

McMayhem

I don't doubt that, though I was starting to before I knew it was an issue and not just a design flaw. The only other time I had used Mecanim was for the uGUI animation state handling. The smoothness and quality of that experience is partially what led me to switch to Mecanim from Legacy in the first place. I was really disappointed after seeing all these issues (particularly with blending animations across multiple layers as this is one of the easiest things to do in legacy animation handling), but I am glad to hear that it is not actually just how the design works. Hopefully we'll get some information at least on when this particular issue might be fixed.

27. franktinsley

franktinsley

Just popping in to say that 5.2.0f1 caused a problem with one of our animation controllers that 5.2.0p1 fixed. Looks like it wasn't the same issue that others are having but if you're experiencing mecanim problems I do have to recommend trying 5.2.0p1 just in case it does fix your particular issue.

28. adamgryu

adamgryu

Just going to add that I updated to 5.2.0p1 today, and the issue isn't fixed for me. It might have also introduced another bug where the animator does not update on the first frame after a prefab is instantiated, which is annoying for "transition-in" animations.

On the bright side, it fixed the bug where the Unity Editor state gets messed up if you Ctrl-S while editing an animation.

29. Bruce_GMC

Bruce_GMC

I updated one of our machines and am confirming that the issue is still not fixed.

30. Doddler

Doddler

I'm using an animator with only a single animation where the only thing animated is the scene active state of the elements, and it's still bugging out for me. When starting the animation it looks like it's starting the first frame of animation on some weird random state. In my case I can just use a legacy animator, but it's a pretty serious bug to have lying around.

31. Lynxed

Lynxed

Can confirm: 5.2.0 p1 - it's not fixed. I still have the

upload_2015-9-19_11-18-4.png
    right at the end of transition from a linear blend tree with "Has exit time" set to false.

32. moco2k

moco2k

I'm also experiencing issues with suttering animator state transitions - they are not smooth and not properly interpolated (Unity 5.2.0p1 (64-bit)).

33. mmortall

mmortall

manutoo likes this.
  34. manutoo

manutoo

@mmortall,
    thanks to have pointed that out.

It seems it's fixed in 5.2.1 .

Now we just have to hope it'll be released soon...

Got a big show-stopper for now... Maybe I'll have to reinstall 5.1 as I can't afford to wait more than a couple of days... :(

35. dCoding

dCoding

Glad to hear it is fixed in 5.2.1; hopefully that is imminent.

I went from 5.1.3 to 5.2.0p1 and wondered why my menus suddenly jumped into place instead of smoothly sliding in and out as before!

36. Gizmoi

Gizmoi

I'm not sure if it's the same issue, but I have a problem where my animations don't snap to the first frame of the first animation when spawned in.
    I use Mecanim for my UI animations, in 5.1 they immediately play the first frame of the animation and hide all my UI. In 5.2 is appears for a frame before the animation kicks in.

37. Mecanim-Dev

Mecanim-Dev

38. Bruce_GMC

Bruce_GMC

We have decided that we will update but that means I have to wait for the office to clear out tonight, can anyone confirm this fixed?

39. dCoding

dCoding

Unfortunately my problem remains exactly the same with 5.2.1f1. My UI menu which smoothly moves from offscreen to onscreen (or vice versa) in 5.1.3, remains motionless until about 75% of the way through the animation when it suddenly jumps into a new position, but then doesn't complete the remaining 25%.

To make that clearer, let's say I have it going from X position -600 (offscreen) to 0 (onscreen) over the course of 1 second, so it should move 10 units per 60th of a second. What actually happens is that the Rect Transform is updating correctly - I can see it going from -600 to 0 in even steps - but the position of the actual GameObject onscreen is not updating, and it remains in the original position. That is until it gets to roughly 75% of the way through the animation, and then the GameObject position onscreen is updated to match the Rect Transform (so in this case it jumps from -600 to about -150) - but after that the GameObject doesn't update onscreen anymore to get to -600 (although the Rect Transform does).

Hopefully that did make it clearer and not more complicated! But as I say, all works fine in Unity 4.3, 5.0 and 5.1, it is only in 5.2 that it is broken.

Bruce_GMC likes this.
  40. David-Flook

David-Flook

The specific bug for which this thread was started (transitions) is not fixed in 5.2.1f1.

Bruce_GMC and McMayhem like this.
  41. Bruce_GMC

Bruce_GMC

It's true, dCoding's response convinced me to update and I am confirming that the issue I recorded in the image above propagates to 5.2.1f1.

42. pierrepaul

pierrepaul

Unity Technologies

Hi guys.

We definitively did fix some part of the problem

-> I have tested with David Flook's project that was posted above and it is fixed.

We would like you guys to post simplified versions of your project here, so we can see what is happening and making sure that this is fixed once and for all.

Thanks!

Bruce_GMC likes this.
  43. ShinAli

ShinAli

Would it be okay to PM you a link to a repro project?

44. David-Flook

David-Flook

Strange. I just retested the sample project I submitted to the bug report and it's still not working in 5.2.1f1.
    I crossed checked the project in 5.1.2f1 and it works as expected.

Maybe it's fixed in the patch release?

Dave

Last edited: Sep 22, 2015
    Bruce_GMC likes this.
  45. manutoo

manutoo

Just installed 5.2.1f1 ; it is not fixed : my mobs are still jerking around... o_O

So I installed 5.1.3p3 and my mob animations now look ok... :rolleyes:

Bruce_GMC likes this.
  46. any_user

any_user

I can also confirm it's *not* fixed in 5.2.1

47. Gizmoi

Gizmoi

Same here.

48. HarryCodder

HarryCodder

It's not fixed in 5.2.1 for us either.
    Will do a bug report when I have more time.

49. pierrepaul

pierrepaul

Unity Technologies

Please post bug numbers here. I want us to fix this asap.

hammil and Bruce_GMC like this.
  50. Bruce_GMC

Bruce_GMC

Hey PierrePaul
    I just built a project and submitted it.
    Case #729939 -- "Unity 5.2 Mecanim Transitions not working the same as 5.1"

Thank you for looking in to this for us!!!
    <3

PS- If you need anything from me, please email me!!

Last edited: Sep 23, 2015