Search Unity

Unity 5.2 issue! Lightmaps are blocky on iOS

Discussion in 'iOS and tvOS' started by Louis-N-D, Sep 11, 2015.

1. Louis-N-D

Louis-N-D

My lightmaps look as they used to in the editor, but in my iOS builds (iPod 5th Gen) they render as if point sampled (no filtering / blocky). This only started happening since upgrading to Unity 5.2.

Has anyone else seen this?

Here are screenshots of the lightmaps as they appear on my iPod. IMG_0815.png IMG_0816.png IMG_0817.png

I mean.. it's a look, I guess... It kinda fits with the blocky theme of the art.. but... ya, I'de rather find out how to fix this...

2. jpv1234

jpv1234

Im having similar problems. With 5.0 I didn't had problems and I was getting pretty good results. Now with 5.2 my lightmapping is horrible, completely broken with black spots and nothing has changed in the lighting values

MrEsquire likes this.
  3. IapoMu

IapoMu

Last edited: Sep 24, 2015
  4. jpv1234

jpv1234

I found two ways to solve this. Check generate lightmap uv on your model (I dont have unity in this moment but I think that is how it was called). You can find it in the inspector when you select your model. The other is to increase the baked resolution. This usually makes the results to be better

5. IapoMu

IapoMu

Hi jpv1234,
    thank you for your help!
    We already have generate lightmap Uv on our models. We tried by increasing the quality but it makes the error a bit less visible, but it is still there :/

6. Louis-N-D

Louis-N-D

LOL. I don't really want to throw more memory at the issue only the camouflage it a bit. But thanks. Obviously, I'm using lightmap UVs on my models. The issue isn't with their resolution. The same lightmaps come out nice and smooth in the editor, for instance. The issue is that they are rendered without filtering on my iPod.

7. popMark

popMark

Did you find a solution? I'm still having this issue with 5.3 on iPad4

8. Louis-N-D

Louis-N-D

No, sorry, still no solution to this! Anyone else? Unity folks?

9. tbr

tbr

Any luck finding a solution to this?

10. Louis-N-D

Louis-N-D

No, no luck! I sent some stuff to Unity, they marked the bug as fixed and told me the next patch would have a fix (this would have been one of the 5.3 patches) but no luck. From tester gameplay videos I've been gathering, it seems to happen on certain iPad models too.

11. ng-pixels

ng-pixels

Same problem here. Any luck?

12. ng-pixels

ng-pixels

13. Louis-N-D

Louis-N-D

confirmed fixed on my device since 5.4

14. ng-pixels

ng-pixels

Hi, which version do you have? I have Unity 5.4 f3 and shadows are still blocky on my iPad3 with iOS 8.0.

15. mr_zog

mr_zog

@ng-pixels Did you recalculate your lightmaps (in case that's required)? We're currently stuck with 5.3.x, so we can't update right now, but it would be good to know this issue has been solved.

16. Louis-N-D

Louis-N-D

As I mentioned before, the issue was fixed for me since 5.4 but I'm currently on 5.4.1p2. @mr_zog : No I didn't need to recalculate my lightmaps to fix the issue as the issue wasn't in the lightmap data but in the displaying of the lightmap textures.