Search Unity

Unity 5.1 VR - Reflection, Antialias issue

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by rodellison, Jun 12, 2015.

1. rodellison

rodellison

Have been playing with the new 5.1 Unity integrated option for Oculus (VR setting on player settings panel and using a regular camera instead of the last OVR 0.6 package).. and it seems to work pretty seamless.
    I think I'm noticing a difference between the integrated setup, vs the last OVR 0.6 package, though, in regards to reflections..They seem off a bit in the new integrated version.. rather, they seem 'flat'. I have a simple scene that's something of a 15*15 room with a TV on one side, and a set of picture frames on a wall on the opposite, reflection probe in the middle. Both the TV screen and Pictures have a smoothness of 0.93, fairly reflective.

Using OVR 0.6, the reflections in the TV screen and Picture frames (essentially each reflect the opposite side of the room), seem to convey visible room depth, . that is, if looking at the TV screen, you see the picture frames within the reflection in the TV and they 'seem' like they would be about 15 feet separated from the TV. Vice versa when looking into the reflection of the pictures, the reflection of the TV seems to indicate its a distance away..

With the new integrated VR setting in Unity, I do see the respective reflections on each of the TV and the picture frames, but they don't seem to have any depth. They seem like they are sitting on the surface of the object and have more of a transparent, but flat texture look, almost like a shadow, with no reflective room depth.. uggh, hard to describe..
    Curious if anyone else has a scene using reflections, and whether they've noticed a difference.

I tried modifying some Quality settings to see if any change/fix.. One thing noticed in regards to Antialiasing.. If using OVR 0.6, and any multi-sampling value, the app I build runs fine.. If using the new Integrated VR setting, the app crashes on launch..

2. SeriousBusinessFace

SeriousBusinessFace

If it's hard to describe, why not post a screen shot? The Print Screen key copies an image of your screen to the clipboard, for pasting into an image manipulation program (MS Paint works, and can save it as a .png).

3. rodellison

rodellison

In this pic, the lamp/shade and tv can be seen in the picture on the left and bottom as a reflection..
    I captured both (OVR 0.6, and Integrated) screenshots of this scene from my monitor and they both seem to convey the depth correctly.. What displays in my Oculus headset display though, when using Integrated VR option, is different (I can't screen cap the Oculus to show what I mean)..
    Using OVR 0.6, the reflection looks correct with depth in the Oculus exactly as below.. however using Integrated VR setting, the Oculus display does NOT show like this, rather the reflections are flat, and shadowy appearing more like a flat silhouette on the face of the pictures.. Just saying.. doesn't look quite right.

4. Deleted User

Deleted User

I'm also struggling with the AntiAliasing issue.
    As recommended in the Unity Integration Guide with OVR 0.6 (and the versions before) i tried to activate AntiAliasing (I tried 2x and 4x). But as soon as I try to start the Application it crashes.

Any workarounds for that issue?

5. thep3000

thep3000

Unity Technologies

Regarding anti aliasing, we are working on a fix for patch 2, there is no work around right now.

Regarding reflections -- I'd guess that the world reflection vector isn't being updated for the new eye position in the stereo rendering path.. can you please submit a bug report if you have time?

6. alexfry

alexfry

I'm glad someone else flagged this.. I thought it was something I was doing wrong.

It's what we call mono-reflections in stereo VFX.
    Feels very weird, as movement paralax will tell you the object is in one position (deep inside), but the stereo paralax tell you its on the surface of the reflector.

It's also one of the things that separates real stereo from post converted stuff.

Is there a bug logged?

7. rodellison

rodellison

Yes, I did use the bug logger to send the same info above..

8. raptorx64

raptorx64

I noticed the same issue with the reflections, they are flat now.

9. KarelA

KarelA

Thank god i found this thread. I have been using SteamVR and just switched over to Unity VR camera that only has single camera. All the reflections look flat. Hope this gets fixed soon.

Also another thread that is tied slightly to this issue. http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/different-content-in-each-eye.332575/ Without two cameras you cannot make stereo videos. If Unity brings back the 2 cameras we could also temporally use it to get our reflections back.

10. StaffanEk

StaffanEk

The parallax shader is also affected by this bug.

It's ironic since the parallax shader is only really beneficial when using VR.

11. StaffanEk

StaffanEk

I see this hasn't been fixed in Patch number 4.

12. kideternal

kideternal

Still not fixed in 5.1.3.p2. :(

13. bcoyle

bcoyle

Looking forward to a fix for this. I'd updated to Unity 5 with my VR experiments solely to take advantage of the built in reflection probes. But they're broken. Looking forward to this being fixed!

14. bcoyle

bcoyle

I just updated and my reflections are fixed

Unity 5.1.3p2
    Forward Rendering
    Gamma Color Space
    Probes, Realtime / On Awake

I'm seeing correct box mapped reflections in my mirrors and glass reflections

15. rodellison

rodellison

Looking forward to retrying, hopefully all wrapped into 5.2 update.

16. Hazneliel

Hazneliel

Anybody has figured this out? When my lights are baked the reflections look ok, but as soon as I have one realtime light then the reflection looks flat. Im using Oculus OVRCamera