Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

VR Unity 5.1.0b3 Oculus builds do not work on laptop.

Discussion in '5.1 Beta' started by SAOTA, Apr 28, 2015.

1. SAOTA

SAOTA

I have been having some issues with the latest unity 5.1 beta and oculus 0.5.0.1 runtime.
    Previously I would just run direct to rift, and it would appear on the rift in either direct or extended mode.

The latest Unity beta does not produce a direct to rift .exe and runs great on both the monitor and rift, at least on my workstation desktop.

When I copy this build to my mobile workstation the .exe does not open on the rift display. It only opens a single view on the laptop main display, regardless of direct or extended mode. Even the tracking does not work.

Builds made in previous versions of Unity+OVR still works like expected.

Any ideas?

2. SAOTA

SAOTA

Okay found a fix.

Make a shortcut to the exe and add -vrmode Oculus as a runtime param.

It runs on the Laptop now.

konsnos likes this.
  3. bfloch

bfloch

Yes I noticed this too. Apparently it depends on a registry entry which is not available on new machines.
    Did not know about the parameter. Thanks.

I found that another issue is it opens in VR-Mode with the regular window in the background.

4. gg67

gg67

Adding "-vrmode Oculus" to the shortcut's target field didn't seem to make a difference. Any ideas?

5. SAOTA

SAOTA

\Editor\Unity.exe" -vrmode oculus

params after the " ?

6. thep3000

thep3000

Unity Technologies

This is by design. When you check the "Enable Virtual Reality" box in player settings, you are opting in to VR on your machine if a device is available. If you were making a game which can toggle VR, you probably wouldn't want it to start in VR for your new players. For this reason it is a registry setting. Either your application can set VR.VRSettings.loadedDevice (via a menu or automatically, your choice), or the game can be launched with -vrmode oculus.

7. SAOTA

SAOTA

Well, It does not seem to pick up the oculus on the laptop in the latest version. The shortcut is a workaround.

Thanks for the explanation.