Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity 5.0 Release Candidate 2 is available

Discussion in 'Unity 5 Pre-order Beta' started by Alex-Lian, Feb 16, 2015.

1. Alex-Lian

Alex-Lian

twobob, rakkarage and Devil_Inside like this.
  2. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Darn, and JUST when I leave the house. Can't wait to check it out.

3. Devil_Inside

Devil_Inside

Was waiting for this release to test all the sweet fixes and features!

4. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Not a mad changelog, most is related to iOS/IL2CPP as expected as patch for 4.6.2p2 contained most of the fixes and just matter of merging/integrating. I wonder how many outstanding bugs are left? Maybe the official beta group has died down?

5. N1warhead

N1warhead

Downloading now!

6. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

I'm also pretty happy with them adding a time stamp for rendering GI, which is needed for long bake jobs.

HarpSeal1 likes this.
  7. Alima-Studios

Alima-Studios

New features example projets will be nice !

8. SurvivalMachine

SurvivalMachine

When upgrading from RC1 to RC2 I had to manually reimport my audio clips, otherwise there were FMOD errors about missing files.

9. N1warhead

N1warhead

I'm trying to do the Lightmapping, and it's stuck on 5/11 Clusters | 1 Job, what does this even mean?
    I have yet to finish a complete light map because I'm not sure if it's frozen or not.
    Perhaps it would be nice to have a window some where where you can click and check a Percentage of it working.
    like to a very small decimal point, like 0.0000 that way we can see if it's even working or if it's frozen.

All I know is, I have not one directional light on my map, is it the shadows that are making it take forever?
    I am trying to use Ambient Lighting for my map as I want it really dark.
    Or is this light mapping with Enlighten only good for outdoors scenes?

I have an interior map it's like 4 K Polys, which isn't much.
    But I saw someone mention a 2K x 2K Terrain in like a few minutes. I know a terrain has way more Polys than this little building.

10. radiantboy

radiantboy

Awesome!!! Im just hoping for the GI improvements to help me, surely it cant take 6 weeks to precompute lol.. I wonder if it is ok to keep old GI cache? or wipe each time an increment of unity comes out? Either way Im super excited :D Great work guys!

11. KEngelstoft

KEngelstoft

Unity Technologies

How long did you wait while it was stuck? Can please you file a bug report so we can take a look at your scene?

12. KEngelstoft

KEngelstoft

Unity Technologies

We are versioning the GI cache files, so you don't have to wipe the cache. The old cache files will be cleaned up automatically once it grows larger than the cache size.

13. N1warhead

N1warhead

I'd say for 30 minutes, I finally just changed some settings (I left it at defaults before) and apparently doing for General GI as "Default High Resolution" was my main culprit.

I changed it to Very Low and Low and it worked like a charm within like 2 or 3 minutes.

Not sure if you still need me to file a Bug Repo or not?

14. Jonny-Roy

Jonny-Roy

If you download and import the shaders to an empty project you get:

Assets/Shaders/Editor/StandardShaderGUI.cs(203,47): error CS0122: `UnityEditor.ShaderUtil.GetMaterialProperties(UnityEngine.Object[])' is inaccessible due to its protection level
    Assets/Shaders/Editor/StandardShaderGUI.cs(203,17): error CS1502: The best overloaded method match for `UnityEditor.StandardShaderGUI.DetermineWorkflow(UnityEditor.MaterialProperty[])' has some invalid arguments
    Assets/Shaders/Editor/StandardShaderGUI.cs(203,17): error CS1503: Argument `#1' cannot convert `object' expression to type `UnityEditor.MaterialProperty[]'

I'm guess the Shaders source is a little out of date maybe.

Jon

15. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

hi there,
    it is the first time i have tried any unity 5 beta on mac mini with intel hd graphics 3000 so i am not sure if the problem i have run into today was present before rc2:
    the standard shader produces pretty weird results when using any kind of lightmapping:

brokenstandardshader1.png

16. reptilebeats

reptilebeats

had this error from downloading from the link above, im going to try the download assistant now

Attached Files:

17. xC0DEB10C

xC0DEB10C

Lightprobes are black? They don't seem to be working anymore...

18. HarpSeal1

HarpSeal1

Nice work guys! GI seems to be working better compared to the past fewreleases (b20-b22). Past few releases I couldn't get it to bake my complicated scenes even with super low settings, but it can now! Going to try a higher quality setting when I leave work tonight.

Keep up the great work Unity Team!

19. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

You guys fixed the wireframe overlay but it only works if the default scene lights are on!! Yes... :) Can we get some wireframe love in the game view too? :)

Last edited: Feb 17, 2015
  20. jhocking

jhocking

I can't find Skyboxes in the Standard Assets anymore. In Unity 4 there was a skyboxes package; I figured they might be in the Environment package now, but I didn't see them.

Is this an intended omission? Because it seems like the skybox images that came with Unity 4 should still work, and that is a nice getting-started help.

21. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

What do you mean by "download and import shaders"?

22. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

Yeah that bug has been for a while (specifically, directional lightmaps on Mac+Intel GPU). Should be fixed in RC3.

23. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

Not quite sure I understood the problem. What wireframe overlay? What does not work when lights are off? Windows or Mac? etc.

24. screenname_taken

screenname_taken

Hm. Still getting some bytestripper2 exe errors for iOS.

25. KEngelstoft

KEngelstoft

Unity Technologies

@N1warhead If you have a huge scene then clustering could take some time but 30 minutes for a small interior scene sounds excessive. It would be great if you could send us your scene so we can test against it when optimizing the code.

shkar-noori likes this.
  26. zRedCode

zRedCode

Cloth still no working and no documentation on it. Only scripting reference (how i can script for something i can't figure out to make it working...).

27. N1warhead

N1warhead

I actually sent it in a few minutes ago when Unity Crashed on me LOL.
    I was trying to mess with the Reflection Probes and Unity just terminated, you know, like the Terminator haha.

Maybe you could help me understand these reflection probes, I tried to read the documentation on it, but nothing tells me how to make the reflections accurate.

Like if you go into my scene if you check it, the lobby area (Where the player is at) the red banners are like massive on the reflection scale and don't seem to properly match where the reflection should be at.
    I'm not sure what to do with the bounding box, Whatever I do, it just doesn't seem accurate.

28. Jonny-Roy

Jonny-Roy

As in, just download the R2 shaders file and unzip them into the project folder of a blank project, then allow it to compile. It's literally just that ShaderUtil.GetMaterialProperties is not a public method that causes the errors.

donov likes this.
  29. Roni92

Roni92

You wont have accurate(physically correct) reflections with reflections probe. Its fake reflection. If you want true reflections the only solution known to me are ssrr(screen space ray-traced reflections).

shkar-noori likes this.
  30. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Anyone know how to fix this issue, when trying to override a existing sound file?

Code (CSharp):
    1. Warnings during import of AudioClip Assets/Audio/impact.mp3
    2. FSBTool WARNING: This source file was truncated.  Length reported 92160 bytes, length decoded = 84480 bytes.
    The file then becomes a totally different sound.

31. N1warhead

N1warhead

How would I go about doing that?
    Because I'm making a school, and I want a slight refraction or reflection of the walls.

Not asking for a code, but just where I should start looking, (not sure if Unity has it built in).

32. Roni92

Roni92

33. N1warhead

N1warhead

Eh I ain't got the money for that, I'll just deal with what it already has, I mean hey it's better than 4X crap lol.

34. JRRReynolds

JRRReynolds

Is anyone else having the asset store bug out. It loads for a brief second then goes to a white screen with no buttons. I have to completely uninstall unity and delete all editor folders/preferences then reinstall to get it to work right again.

35. orb

orb

Same problem here. I'm trying to get to my assets, which I know have updates, but the buttons aren't available.

36. Devil_Inside

Devil_Inside

I'm not sure what @Neptune_Imaging meant, but I checked out different scene rendering modes, and when "Built-in lighting" (the Sun icon in the scene window) is turned ON, Wireframe and Shaded Wireframe modes don't work (either work as "Shaded" mode or just show black screen)
    Also, I don't know what should Deferred group of rendering modes render, but the entire group also fills the scene window with plain white, or shows the shadows in black and everything else in white, both with "Built-in lighting" on and off.

37. screenname_taken

screenname_taken

Ok, something's off. (Or i should say "still off").
    I'm playing around with 4.6.2, and it seems that i'll keep using that for what i'm doing ATM, but i keep checking my current project with 5.0.
    Managed to trick Enlight to bake some lightmaps, but now i'm running into this:

The tablet is using a Tegra3 chipset and yeah, that "Standard" shader is a lot heavier than mobile/unlit. I really really hope the unlit/lightmap support will be usable in the end...
    In any case, those white bands are following the ball and appear only on the meshes that use a lightmap. And only on the device. (TF300T)

38. JRRReynolds

JRRReynolds

Glad to know at least I'm not the only one. I don't know if this is related but when I woke up I had a bunch of console errors saying something about either having a recursive GUI or it did not properly unload. I didn't pay it much attention at the time, I probably should have wrote it down.

39. twobob

twobob

Editor locked up on me.
    Play, switch to Scene view. Locked up. Spinny cursor, Win 7 64 5.0 rc2. Would not do anything.
    Had to kill the process. Was just chucking a few hundred boids around.
    I have no better report to give since it refused to die gracefully.

40. Alex-Lian

Alex-Lian

In the future, in Task Manager, you can right-click and save a dump file to submit.

konsnos, twobob and ZJP like this.
  41. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

I filed a bug in the previous beta where if I set the scene view with HDR enabled on the camera, the viewport would turn black. If you turn off HDR on the camera, it will behave as normal

42. N1warhead

N1warhead

I'm trying to figure out what is the difference between realtime baking and baking? Realtime baking still produces the
    same results as not baking (Performance wise). 2 or 3 lights and my system is getting no FPS hardly.
    1 light depending on how big the range and intensity is can drop my FPS a good 20 or 30 fps.

However, a single just baking light map just doesn't work in my level, it freezes at 12/15 - 1 jobs.
    Even a 1 x 1 Area Light hasn't even finished, what's taking it so long to render a single light into the light map?

I mean what's taking it so long for just 1 light, I could understand 50 to 100 lights or a massive terrain, but literally a light where 8 polygons are at, shouldn't take very long to splat onto a texture and make the rest dark.

I just don't get how Realtime GI can finish in relatively no time, on low settings at least, but a single Area light at 1 x 1 area takes so long I haven't even finished one yet and give up after 30 minutes.

By the way @KEngelstoft or any other admins, my bug repo number is - 672957
    It has my scene and stuff.

Marc-Saubion likes this.
  43. JRRReynolds

JRRReynolds

@orb
    I fixed it again, there might be an easier way but the only way I've found to be successful is.
    1)Uninstall Unity/Webplayer
    2)Delete all Unity folders in .appdata (unity folders in local, locallow, and roaming) -- in this case i leave the asset store folders so I don't have to redownload everything. Note a reinstall without deleting these was unsuccessful in fixing the problem.
    3)I do a registry clean, not sure if this helps or is irrelevant
    4) Reinstall Unity

All in all about an hour process for getting asset store access back :-/

44. tkoknordic

tkoknordic

Last 5.0f1 used UI version of 4.6.1p2 equivalence. Has it been updated in 5.0f2?

shkar-noori likes this.
  45. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

I don't understand why the Mobile Splash Screen settings on Unity 5 are very different compared to latest stable 4.6.2?
    What I mean by different, the size/rotation and look are very different when build on the mobile device.
    Has anyone tested this?, I'm starting to think your INTERNAL BETA testers have been asleep a long time.

46. Tomza

Tomza

Hard to believe all those bugs are in RC2. I use this version for production and Unity seems to work without big problems. There are some things to fix, of course. Fortunately, my project is for PC, so I can work normally. Anyway, it's RELEASE CANDIDATE, so it's close to the official Unity 5.0. However, we can get even 20 RCs before the stable version will be done. So we should wait and wait and be patient. Apparently, going from 4.x to 5.0 is a giant leap for Unity Technologies.

47. Marc-Saubion

Marc-Saubion

Real time GI is baked on a low def lightmap while your area light is baked on the "main" lightmap. By default, the first is at 2 and the other à 40 textels per unit.

If your area does not need super precision, you should consider using a mesh with an emissive material. this will be baked in the GI, so faster, and support being modified in real time.

twobob likes this.
  48. CaptainChristian

CaptainChristian

Dunno what's causing this, but my gui elements get positioned way down to the bottom right now (it worked as expected in b21) when running the game as a standalone. It works fine in the editor.

49. Jaimi

Jaimi

This fixes the dreaded "2/11" stall.

But it's introduced a strange choppiness into the editor that hasn't been there before. Moving around the scene or rotating the scene camera (in the editor of course) pauses and and jerks...

I see this line in the release notes:
    • Editor: Fixed performance on OSX when scene view or hierarchy tab is visible, caused by vsync on flush
    But to me it seems to have had the opposite effect...

50. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Can confirm this issue!