Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity 5.0 Release Candidate 1 is available

Discussion in 'Unity 5 Pre-order Beta' started by Alex-Lian, Feb 9, 2015.

1. Roni92

Roni92

And lod system really needs some love. For any serious use its useless. Give us at least possibility to set max distance for lowest lod.

2. twobob

twobob

Hmm, what like as opposed to "Screen size"? Interesting idea. Kind of like "Disable by distance from camera" option.
    I would definitely support this. (Since I actually currently use a script that does this)

Roni92 likes this.
  3. Gokcan

Gokcan

"A release candidate (RC) is a beta version with potential to be a final product, which is ready to release unless significant bugs emerge. "

There is a web site called "Let me ask google that for you"(www.lmgtfy.com). please write there what is Relase candidate and look what it means.

I dont understand people who are violent since release candidate is out. It is still a beta and all the bugs must be solved before it is released as final product.

Please community, just sit back and relax:)

4. Roni92

Roni92

Exactly! object's screen size should have nothing to do with lod...

5. Gizmoi

Gizmoi

I disagree, screen size should have everything to do with LoD. At least a ratio of screen size to object size.

Dantus likes this.
  6. VicToMeyeZR

VicToMeyeZR

Well there is still significant bugs with Enlighten.. I'm not sure hwy they chose RC at this point. I guess it is typical for Unity. They did pretend to listen to us for a while. I'm afraid that's all it was. Pretend

p87 likes this.
  7. Roni92

Roni92

Yes, but DISTANCE from screen should be main variable taken to calculate lod. For me this size-based lod is very unintuitive and unwieldy.

8. djweinbaum

djweinbaum

Its not really an RC if before you even release it you're planning on there being an RC2.

9. twobob

twobob

Perhaps this is best suited to another thread.
    However my personal final word is it would be a "nice to have" to be able to set an absolute maximum distance before culling occurs. That said I can cope with what is here. EDIT: Seemingly you can do this? Will RTM.

Now if this had a "completely disable the game object until back in range" option I would be extremely interested. Since the camera-centric distance calculations get a bit "chokey" when you enter the 1000's of objects range and doubtless UT can implement this better than me. However using LOD gameobjects can probably achieve this will judicious scripting.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2015
  10. twobob

twobob

Delta sounds like you are fixing something in-place.
    I always liked "Gamma Release"

http://blog.codinghorror.com/alpha-beta-and-sometimes-gamma/

Release Candidate (aka gamma or delta)
    The software is almost ready for final release. No feature development or enhancement of the software is undertaken; tightly scoped bug fixes are the only code you're allowed to write in this phase, and even then only for the most heinous and debilitating of bugs. One of the most experienced software developers I ever worked with characterized the release candidate development phase thusly: "does this bug kill small children?"

But I think the whole Hulk thing killed it ;)

So RC it is ;):cool:

11. Blarp

Blarp

imo

rakkarage likes this.
  12. screenname_taken

screenname_taken

@Blarp well, it's not out yet. So it's reasonable. It's not that there won't be a free version out.

13. Jonny-Roy

Jonny-Roy

Is anyone else getting funny issues with using Metallic work flow on custom shaders, the lighting seems out compared to the Standard Shader (it's like the grazing angles are calculated wrong)

14. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

This is extremely weird. I still have my standard assets folder and they are all written in C# but even stranger all of the scripts are still broken. I've uninstalled and reinstalled RC1 and I still get the same problem. I updated my project folder as well. This is odd. :(

15. Gizmoi

Gizmoi

I read in a separate thread that they were temporarily renamed to 'Sample Assets' check you don't have a lingering folder with that name?

16. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

I looked in my project... there is no such folder in the directory. And I still see the old scripts that were written in JavaScript... now I see my problem. So how can I get my hands on the updated stuff like image effects?

Last edited: Feb 10, 2015
  17. elbows

elbows

Some of your posts/situation are a bit confusing, so forgive me if this advice is not helpful....

Assets menu->Import Package->Pick whatever one you want from that menu list. (eg Effects)

18. GXMark

GXMark

Not being violent at all. Actually we all want unity 5 to be the best quality product out and i purchased the pre-release when it first came out. From what people have been saying in this forum about the bugs its evident that RC is a premature move on Unity's part which looks more timeline and GDC based rather than quality. RC is still beta? Nope a release candidate is the companies HONEST offering that this COULD BE a release build with a final check from its audience. Any let me enlighten you ! when does lots of insignificant bugs become one big unusual bug? Think about that?

So my statement stands like it or not. Its not a race and i'm beginning to see an aggresive change in the companies direction which i believe is not good.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2015
  19. franktinsley

franktinsley

You win the dumbass of the week award for that one. Congrats.

20. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

RC1 build unfortunately came with a couple of regressions we didn't catch before releasing.

RC naming in Unity never has been about that we think the build is actually ready to be shipped. Not for major releases anyway. I am aware other companies follow such a naming convention, we never have. We still have a bunch of bugs that we are aware of that we intend to fix.

Specifically on enlighten here is what we are working on:

1. We just now were finally able to fix the the memory spiking of clustering and the long clustering times. This makes scenes with big terrains bake in a reasonable time.
    eg. a 2k*2k terrain bakes in 4 minutes on our tests.
    This fix will be in RC2

2. We just found that RC1 has a regression with continuous baking where the Enlighten precompute is always recomputed. (Oops…)
    This was regressed in RC1 and will be fixed in RC2.

3. We just now fixed a final gather crash bug and tested on a bunch more test scenes and are getting very good visual results.
    This will be fixed in RC2.

4. We found some reflection probe intensity and ambient intensity to have gamma / linear space inconsistencies that makes tweaking values harder than it should be.

5. a couple of major bug fixes to make baked light maps work well with LOD groups.

protopop, zelmund, konsnos and 6 others like this.
  21. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

Curious on what exactly you mean by that.
    In the LOD system you can fully control max distances for any LOD level.

zelmund likes this.
  22. seattlebluesky

seattlebluesky

Could those bugs that you are aware of and intend to fix for RC be mentioned in the Known Issues of the release notes for each build? I think that in of itself would cut down on a lot of superfluous chatter on the forum.

23. jashan

jashan

We've seen quite a few releases that were timed for a big event, like Unite. This time, it's apparently GDC. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't. In software-engineering, bad things can happen (like ugly issues slipping into the first release candidate even though it was intended as a first candidate for release - but just that: a candidate, not the actual release ... all that really means is that beta-testers will expect higher quality, be a little more outspoken about bugs they consider showstoppers and I guess lower-priority issues will be skipped to be able to focus on the higher-priority issues).

So I wouldn't worry that much.

Just because it's a public beta more people get to see some of that stuff that usually only beta-testers get to see. Personally, I think Unity 5 is rather ambitious - and I think that's a good thing but ambition also always has a price!

If 5.0 (release) still has some ugly bugs, that will be ... well ... ugly ... and I'll hope that they'll fix those ASAP. But to be honest, the only real difference between now and when Unity 5.0 is released is that people not owning Pro will have access to Unity 5. Unity - like every other software package out there - will always have bugs, some of them serious, and most of them will hopefully be fixed ASAP.

Devil_Inside likes this.
  24. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

konsnos, twobob and jashan like this.
  25. jashan

jashan

That's what I meant, Aras :rolleyes:

26. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

I tried that, there isn't anything in the list for packages. I would hate to lose work like that.

27. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Not sure why people getting angry about Unity 5 betas and rc1 quality, im getting more angry about the recent 4.6x releases and how poorly they been tested, each patch fixes something then breaks something else. 4.6.2 is buggy awaiting iOS 64 patches and Android fixes.. I only do mobile releases and always suffer some platform bug, I guess people who doing big PC projects do not suffer as much. I really hope people dont do big project conversion jumps 4.5 to unity 5 because i can see problems

protopop and Jonny-Roy like this.
  28. Nmzikcs

Nmzikcs

I have found a strange bug when i import mesh. In Unity 4.6 i import mesh + set scale to 1. In Unity 5 i do the SAME but mesh still looks tiny. Any help?

29. seattlebluesky

seattlebluesky

If you click reimport after setting scale does it look fine?

30. Tomza

Tomza

I did such conversion a few months ago. The whole project was completely crashed. I lost almost two months to fix all. I was writing on the Unity forum what wasn't liked by some forum users. I complained... Now, I see all Unity users are complaining. What's happening?

I am developing a project for PC and now I don't have too many things to worry about. It's true I see many things in Unity 5.0 RC1 should be fixed, but I will finish the Demo somehow. Of course, our Main Project won't be made with Unity. No way! I will use Unreal Engine 4.

31. Devil_Inside

Devil_Inside

I think you might be disappointed, if you think that UE doesn't have issues.

franktinsley likes this.
  32. twobob

twobob

I did note one thing that was possibly reproducible. Hung my machine with the profiler :)

Simply stick the profiler on Pause for an hour or so, on a really big scene (I just forgot), Unity ate every available scrap of ram while I ate my dinner (circa 7ish gb). The Windows 7 64 box was utterly locked up until (after a few minutes of nothing) I managed to take down the process (which took a good few minutes to actually die)

So: Steps to reproduce:

1) Be a dumbass and walk away from your station whilst huge scene on pause in profiler.
    2) Eat Dinner (optional)
    3) Kill Editor ;)

ASIDE (On UT):
    For the record, our personal experience of unity (since about 2.6 I believe, EDIT yup checked, 2.6) has been a consistent improvement in "things offered" to the point where we eventually went for Team Educational Licenses at the 4.5 mark. (Thankful this path is offered to help deliver the tech pedagogically).

Yes, sometimes things go a bit "unfinished" and Yes, sometimes the docs can be thin and Yes, It is harder to reach the core dev team directly than it once was.

But honestly is that all that bad? Mainly I would say: No, If UT slavishly supported, documented and polished every single bedknob of every single doohickey they ever partially, or provisionally, implemented; there would be a much slower general evolution of technologies offered. Much less attempt anything more than a passing glance at the sheer volume of user forum noise. Sure stuff might get missed in the cracks but the big lumps usually are long knocked-off before they offer up something as "DONE".

@UT You are busy, we get it. As long as you undertake to consistently be the very best you can be as a company (I mean morally as well as tech and profits) what "we" think really does not matter very much.

From our perspective, you are still fulfilling this goal. We don't even use the majority of the things that "Pro" or "Team" give us, Heck we have a license we haven't even used yet. You know what? That's just fine, you gave us years of free stuff. Have a few bucks back.

So, whilst the minutia of the tiny bugs that affect us personally still rankle as much as the next organisations do.
    We support UT, count us in :)

I would also like to remind Joachim of his sweaty palms going up against the XNA launch, see compared to beating that bear to it's lunch, everything else is gravy ;)

Last edited: Feb 11, 2015
  33. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Here is the issue I am having right now in Unity 5 RC1. Even if I install a fresh version, I would have to uninstall all instances of Unity on my machine and do a super clean install...

Screenshot 2015-02-10 20.05.57.png Screenshot 2015-02-10 20.11.50.png

34. twobob

twobob

hmm. I would delete all the Image Effects outside unity in the Editor/ImageEffects and "Standard Assets\Image Effects (Pro Only)" folders. Then choose Assets menu->Import Package-> Image Effects and import it.

I don't fully recall if it autohooks up the new CS versions "in-place" IIRC it does if the exact location and name haven't changed, just the file extension. But I may be misrecollecting that. Either way its no huge biggy as there are generally a limited amount of fullscreen realtime effects in use at one time.

I have actually done that process you are seeking quite a few times, whilst checking on the Beta Sample Assets (hence my fuzzy recollection on the exact nature of what auto-fixes and what doesn't) However it was - in the main - painless in the end.

If you could be more specific about what you were afraid of losing perhaps I could be more helpful.

EDIT: I would just like to note that I have just now (again) converted all my previous javascript Image Effects (Other than blur) across to work in the Beta RC1, with just one hiccup (blur)
    So do you actually /need/ the new stuff? The old stuff works if you are worried about the change.

Hope it helps.

Basically:

Backup what you have.
    Rip some folders out.
    Import one package off the menu
    fix up any mangle.

Possibly will be relatively painless.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2015
  35. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Right now, I am waiting for my scanner to clean up any remnants of the unity installs before I continue working...

36. twobob

twobob

I see.

Honestly, I must not be understanding your problem correctly. Seems like just mangling the folders by hand as described above will fix your issues? Hope you get it sorted.

37. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

I hope so too man... Actually, where are these Beta Samples?

38. Noisecrime

Noisecrime

You are aware that for the full download of Unity does NOT include the standard assets. They are a seperate download and install themselves? That when installing it should find your Unity install location, but it's a good idea to double check.

39. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

I've been using Unity since version 3... so I need to track down these standard assets...

40. orb

orb

KRGraphics likes this.
  41. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

42. GXMark

GXMark

Well just remove RC and keep calling them Beta's. Would solve all the splitting hairs over naming and what i feel is misleading.

43. elbows

elbows

Not true. For example I am not complaining, I am happy with how 5 is going so far. Nothing happened in the last week that gives me fresh concern. Things could still go wrong with the final launch of 5, but I'll judge that at the time, based on the final version, not a release candidate.

Devil_Inside likes this.
  44. jashan

jashan

Actually, when you use the Unity Download Assistant, you can check/uncheck Standard Assets as well as Example Projects. As far as I can see, this is now the "standard way" of installing Unity and when you use that approach, there's nothing hidden - it's all in your face before the main download process starts.

But yeah, if you go the route via the individual component installers, you have to download and install each component separately.

elbows likes this.
  45. Tomza

Tomza

Every software can have issues; even such a super stable and best software like Apache server, but people in the world use it and don't complain. In other words, those issues have no influence on production. My target platform isn't mobile, so UE is the best. Your "issues" is probably the fact that Unreal is a super professional tool and not all game developers can learn to use it due to its complexity. C++ itself can be a problem for many. Fortunately, I have a long experience with this computer language.

Unity 3D can be a very good software, but Unity Technologies' main goal is earning money and other things aren't so important. They should make the source code be Open Source. Even Microsoft starts to understand that the future of software is in Open Source. I don't want to say that Unity Technologies should have no money for their product; far from it - Open Source allows companies to earn.

46. elbows

elbows

I really doubt that was the issue he was referring to, but way to go coming across all superior, I'm sure that will really help the debate.

We can throw words like professional around all day, makes no difference to the underlying reality as far as I'm concerned.

The reason I say this is because I believe bugs are like the weather - people tend to pay attention and get upset only when it badly affects them personally.

Devil_Inside likes this.
  47. Jonny-Roy

Jonny-Roy

Why are you even on the Unity forums if you are a UE fanboy? UE4 had loads of issues in the early days (for almost 1 year after release, constant Editor crashes) Unity 5 isn't even out yet.

I think Tomza might work for the competition...make it open source we can steal your code.

48. Elecman

Elecman

My project has not worked with any of the Unity 5 beta versions, including RC1. I kid you not.

All errors are Enlighten related.

49. Jonny-Roy

Jonny-Roy

Which I presume you have bug reported and then followed up in the beta forums?

50. jashan

jashan

Well, to be fair, his full statement didn't read "UE is the best" but:

I've never worked with UE and am not really interested in learning it - but apparently, they did do a few things right ... like, apparently they have some pretty good project templates included (which we now also have with the new Standard Assets and the related demos ... in a really good way, IMHO, to get a new project started, without too many assumptions about what my new project will look like).

He also said that UE is super-complex to use (he calls it "professional" and I see why he uses that term but I guess "super-complex" is more neutral ;-) ). Personally, I'm really glad I don't have to mess with Unity's source code - I don't have time for it, and I don't see any value in having the source code of the engine if the engine is properly designed (which I think Unity is ... mostly ;-) ). Of course, I can also see why people want the source code and there are circumstances where having source code is super-helpful (but those circumstances are not mine - I'm here to create games, not implement some fancy new graphics pipeline that I couldn't handle using command buffers).

But ... as this thread is about RC1 of Unity and not "Unity vs. UE", I guess it's not really a discussion to be had here.

Breyer likes this.