Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity 5.0 Release Candidate 1 is available

Discussion in 'Unity 5 Pre-order Beta' started by Alex-Lian, Feb 9, 2015.

1. Alex-Lian

Alex-Lian

KRGraphics, Guile_R, ITCL_RV and 3 others like this.
  2. shkar-noori

shkar-noori

Anyone with heavy audio-based project I advice you to stay on b22, there's a simple bug that makes Audio.PlayOneShot to work only once per audio clip. I've already reported the issue and they have said the issue is likely to be a known issuse, case number [670601]

3. Shbli

Shbli

Thanks for the offline links! downloading now.

4. SCS_Dani

SCS_Dani

Hi!

Just to let you know because I don't know if this is a bug or only an error in my project:

I've updated from Beta 14 and I had SampleAssets folder that I've deleted to import the new "Standar Assets". I've imported first Effects package and then Utility package. When importing Utility I've these two errors:

Error importing folder (The GUID f030ca9293dfc164c8bc07b982e19f38 is already mapped to Assets/Standard Assets/Effects/CrossPlatformInput/Prefabs. But the meta data wants it to be mapped to assets/standard assets/crossplatforminput/prefabs)

Error importing folder (The GUID 4c4bc148459cd764dbb1d4e94e49299b is already mapped to Assets/Standard Assets/Effects/CrossPlatformInput/Sprites. But the meta data wants it to be mapped to assets/standard assets/crossplatforminput/sprites)

Best!

5. SCS_Dani

SCS_Dani

More problems after updating:

I can't open any Animation Controller made in Beta14... I'm having this error:

IndexOutOfRangeException: Array index is out of range.
    UnityEditor.Graphs.AnimatorControllerTool.OnGUI () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Graphs/UnityEditor.Graphs/Animation/AnimatorControllerTool.cs:721)
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)

6. PolygonFormation

PolygonFormation

This early RC1 scares me ... (much to do in terms of Enlighten GI static baking still ...)

p87 and jmunozar like this.
  7. VicToMeyeZR

VicToMeyeZR

Exactly my thoughts. I am wondering how did they do this demo with the lighting, when no one else can seem to get it working? Was it a BS demo?

shkar-noori likes this.
  8. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

I've managed to get Enlighten to work properly... took some finessing but I got it working :)

9. Ostwind

Ostwind

Yeah already RC... o_O

I haven't managed yet to get the lightmap baking to work even half as well or fast in any of my projects as it did in Unity 4. Is it even possible or is it already known fact that baking will take 3-5x longer than it did in U4 regardless if you are using terrain or not?

I've tried to keep up with all the lightmapping threads for tips and tricks but I still find the speed unusable compared to the old. If it's about the correct settings then there should be at least some quickstart guide to get decent results as trial and error is dead slow.

10. Devil_Inside

Devil_Inside

Well, let's hope they can fix it before release. Otherwise I can't image the S***storm that's gonna hit the forums.

p87 likes this.
  11. VicToMeyeZR

VicToMeyeZR

Well that's a problem then isn't it? If you have to finesse to get the enlighten to work, where the other system, just worked....

12. seattlebluesky

seattlebluesky

From my perspective this release seems time-boxed rather than quality-boxed at this point. Could be mistaken here, but certainly an RC1 seems early to call. The Betas were early to call also so it could just be a different approach. At the end of the day it just matters what gets shipped out as Unity 5.0.0. Fingers crossed.

13. Ostwind

Ostwind

I guess the target release date is around early next month so that they can announce it at GDC

14. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Actually, I should clarify... I finessed it to my liking in my test scenes :)

15. tango209

tango209

The pessimist in me leans toward this. Having said that, there have been a few replies stating some things were fixed for Beta/RCs beyond the one coming up. So, they probably have a lot more fixed than we are aware of and have estimates on the showstoppers they know of at this time. Time will tell.

16. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Actually, the new RC1 breaks A LOT of scripts... even ones that belong to Unity. :(

VicToMeyeZR likes this.
  17. elbows

elbows

Such as?

18. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

All of them... I have post fx and none of those compiled... I am going to run RC 1 again and hope that fixes it.

19. jashan

jashan

I have the Standard Assets with Cameras, Characters and Effects in my project and do not see any compilation issues. Those were the Standard Assets that came with beta21 I believe and I haven't even updated them for RC1.

20. elbows

elbows

Same here, except I probably updated them with beta 22 just in case something had changed. So yeah, no script problems here with RC1, including a number of 3rd party asset store items I am using.

It would be quite handy to know when changes have been made to standard assets between Unity releases, especially as I have customised a few of the scripts, but I've been able to cope so far.

21. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

So I will have to jump back to beta 22... I just did a new fresh install and everything is badly broken

22. elbows

elbows

What sort of error messages are you getting?

23. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

I get this error:

Assets/Editor/Image Effects/CameraMotionBlurEditor.js(93,9): BCE0004: Ambiguous reference 'preview': CameraMotionBlurEditor.preview, UnityEditor.Editor.preview.

but it shouldn't break EVERYTHING

24. seattlebluesky

seattlebluesky

I don't know javascript from a hole in the ground, but this is a namespace issue right?

shkar-noori likes this.
  25. shkar-noori

shkar-noori

replacing the 'preview' keyword with 'CameraMotionBlurEditor.preview' in line 93 should fix the problem imo.

26. makeshiftwings

makeshiftwings

Some of the bugs I've filed are still in RC1 and still open in the bug db; should we resend bugs that are particularly annoying? For example, UI text is still very washed out in Linear color mode. As I've mentioned before, anyone who will seriously be using the new PBR shaders should be using Linear not Gamma, so being unable to use the new UI with the new Shaders should be a high priority IMHO.

Edit: Soooo it looks like when I do an actual Standalone build for PC, text looks fine in Linear mode. But in the editor, the text is not gamma correct in Linear mode. I haven't checked other platforms.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2015
  27. makeshiftwings

makeshiftwings

Maybe you guys should do a poll and ask who is using the new shaders and whether they're using Linear or Gamma mode. I still can't understand why Unity does all their testing in Gamma mode.

shkar-noori likes this.
  28. shkar-noori

shkar-noori

let's complain about the catch-up with the 4.6 UI, so they will catch up with it in the next RC ;)

29. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Thank god I am not doing any major designs right now... otherwise I would be screwed.

shkar-noori likes this.
  30. jashan

jashan

Aren't the image effects now all coded in C#? So that would mean that you're using the old standard assets which I believe aren't really maintained anymore. See also here:

New Standard Assets - a.k.a. Sample Assets, Beta Release

31. makeshiftwings

makeshiftwings

Yes, they changed the folder name from "Sample Assets" back to "Standard Assets", so if you just installed over your old folder, you may need to go into C:\Program Files\Unity\Editor and delete the "Sample Assets" folder. The new "Standard Assets" folder should be all C# files.

32. HarpSeal1

HarpSeal1

Is anyone having issues with monodevelop and the mouse cursor? I basically can't click on gui elements in monodevelop, especially in the code window. Putting the mouse cursor near the menu bar selects all of the text in the code window, like im clicking and dragging upward in it. Interesting any ideas anyone?

33. DanSuperGP

DanSuperGP

Stuck key?

34. HarpSeal1

HarpSeal1

I dont think so, I have to hit alt F to get the menu bar to work but then my code window acts up. I can't right click to bring up a context menu either.

35. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Let me fix this now... :) and I wish I could remove the other stuff like the legacy shaders which have no bearing on my project...

36. Manny Calavera

Manny Calavera

I upgraded from Beta 18 and had the same callstack on the console while the Animator window would stay empty and not render the animation state.

After saving everything, closing Unity and launching it again the error went away. Seem ok now.

37. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

There is no such folder... I upgraded a project and it broke ALL of the scripts...

38. llde_chris

llde_chris

Does the WebPlayer still work reliably?
    We still need it for some clients for the medium term.

I tried it on RC1, and previously on Beta18, and I've gotten it to run exactly once on a blank project. All the other times, even with a freshly created project I get the attached screenshot.

I've installed the WebPlayer, with Admin privileges, and it acts the same way in all the browsers (Chrome/IE/FF) on Windows 7.

Are there caveats for installing the non-public WebPlayers?

Attached Files:

• Bug.png
      Bug.png
      File size:
      35.1 KB
      Views:
  39. elbows

elbows

Yes I had that too, albeit after upgrading a b22 project. As with your experience, a restart fixed it.

40. Gokcan

Gokcan

I am testing unity since b1 and this is the last thing makes me really worry. Unity team says they are awera of this bug and high on their list to fix. However, problem still there in RC1. Why it is hard to solve? When it will be solved?

Attached Files:

• Bug.PNG
      Bug.PNG
      File size:
      138.3 KB
      Views:
  41. Gizmoi

Gizmoi

I'm aware of how vague this sounds, but does RC1 seem more 'crashy' to anyone else? b21 was absolutely fine, much better than 4.6 in fact, RC1 has crashed 4 times in the space of an hour.

42. orb

orb

I've not had any crashes since a few betas back at least. If it's crashing for you, use the bug reporter manually. If you have crash logs, attach them too.

43. twobob

twobob

Release notes: BETA 22

Spell-check Typofubar.

ReflectionProbes: Intensity is not a float field instead of slider, so you can enter values bigger than 1.0

should read

ReflectionProbes: Intensity is now a float field instead of slider, so you can enter values bigger than 1.0

(yeah, yeah, wrong thread I know, whoops)

EDIT:

RC 1:

Merge Tool: Open merget tool config files in read only mode

should be

Merge Tool: Open merge tool config files in read only mode

(Seek and ye shall find, thread choice vindicated :p )

44. SCS_Dani

SCS_Dani

Yup, but after some time working I've the same errors again and again.When the error appears the only way to work is closing Unity and open it again.

45. screenname_taken

screenname_taken

I imported my 4.6.2 project to 5.0RC1, but the animations don't trigger, and the lightmapper keeps giving me errors that it's trying to do something outside of the texture. Are those submitted bugs, or am i missing something?

46. twobob

twobob

Quick question: I still see Static Collider.Move costs in the profiler.

Is there an ETA on that no longer being adjudged an "Expensive Delayed Cost", I thought the AABB problem was now a thing of the past? Happy to look in the right place for the answers if someone can point the way.

Many thanks. ( I could really do with those ms back ;) )

StaticColliderMove.JPG

StaticColliderMove2.JPG

47. twobob

twobob

Actually I tried that.

twice.

it just refused to notice the fact that I had fixed it.
    ( Another error also was reported, that I fixed, but it refused to parse the /exact/ response you gave there after that other was fixed)

I deleted it. job done. Could not get it to swallow the fixup, no matter what I tried. (Yes, I also tried restarting)

I would imagine just clearing out the Image effects folder and repopulating would fix this up.
    Fairly sure this is the old Standard Assets stuff balking. It certainly was in my case.

48. GXMark

GXMark

Well as long as they have a release candidate 10 we might be ok !

Looks to me like another EA strategy going bad.

p87 likes this.
  49. Gizmoi

Gizmoi

Correct me if I'm wrong (and please do), but doesn't adding a Kinematic Rigidbody solve that issue?

twobob likes this.
  50. twobob

twobob

It really does.

However 800 rigidbodies are a bit pricey when all you want to do is chuck a few rays around.

Not to hi-jack the thread however I will just spoiler the quote (And, Yes, I have extensively read Pierre's blog)
    Moving Static Colliders
    Moving Static Colliders will be a lot less expensive. A Static Collider is just a gameobject with a collider component on it, but without a Rigidbody component. Previously, since the SDK assumed that Static Colliders aren’t moved, moving a Static Collider would trigger an expensive AABB tree rebuild that affected overall performance badly.

In Unity 5, we’ll use the same data structure to handle the movement of both dynamic and static colliders. Unfortunately, we’ll lose the benefit of Static Colliders consuming less memory than dynamic ones. However, right now, the cost associated with moving Static Colliders is one of the top 3 causes of performance issues in Unity games. We wanted to change that.

I don't see any change :) Thanks for answering though. Makes me feel the community is still alive.

Gizmoi likes this.