Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity 5.0 pre-order beta now available

Discussion in 'Unity 5 Pre-order Beta' started by SaraCecilia, Oct 27, 2014.

1. Alex-Lian

Alex-Lian

And perception is what you know of it, so let me explain:

As I mentioned in the other thread, b10 was wrapping up as b9 was set up for publish before the announce weekend. This was just unfortunate timing because we wanted a stable build, plus no last minute issues to have to deal with at announce. During the last week b11 was done. We also were ironing out the "unstable" release pathway which we verified on Friday and released today.

So, b11 was released ~1.5 business days after it went to closed beta. Only ~1 week after first release of pre-order beta (which for reasons explained above was b9 for conservative choice)

However, I suspect beta releases to pre-order will always lag by around a business day or so.

Roni92, Metron and carking1996 like this.
  2. orb

orb

Excellent! Looks like it'll be a beta 11 day :)

3. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Beta 12 day will be the best one I think :) if all the uGUI changes make it.

4. Metron

Metron

I understand that... but in the same time, telling people that you hand out "b9" because it's "a stable build" is telling us that you wait every other stable build before handing it out to people. You won't do any changes to an already delivered closed tester b9 in order to deliver it to the pre-order testers. So, yes... it's an communication issue and you have solved it as such.

Now that you have solved it, it's not a problem to have it 1-2 days later. Usually, when we "people outside the closed beta test area" see updates, it's week per week. So (and it has also been stated as such) between 2 beta versions lie 2 weeks. This is where the confusion (not only for me) rose: Why hand out a 2 week old beta?

As a sidenote: I wasn't the only one who had this question and this particular "pre-order customers get old betas" perception... but I happen to actually ask the question...

Hopefully those kind of questions aren't considered as "stepping on your toes" but more as "asking the right questions to help you learn to communicate better with your customers".

MrEsquire likes this.
  5. orb

orb

If beta 11 is like 9, I'll get 3 minutes of use between crashes, but at least I'll bother to report it ;)

MrEsquire likes this.
  6. Roni92

Roni92

Strange, because on last weekend I worked two days on b9 and didn't get any crash, but of course it depends on what are you doing.

7. orb

orb

Yeah, OS, whether you start fresh or import, what features you use all matter. Plus I suspect one of my hard drives is having an issue that affects the whole system now, so that might be a factor :/

8. Angela_

Angela_

I am Unity Pro subscriber.
    I download Unity 5.0 beta version, but can not use it. Because it needs license serial number from invoice.
    I get invoice every month and it not contain any serial numbers.
    Please help. How can I open Unity 5?
    Thanks.

9. Ostwind

Ostwind

https://store.unity3d.com/account/licenses

10. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

That's odd, you should have got a serial in the first e-mail you got when you subscribed. Can you e-mail support@unity3d.com if you haven't already.

11. Tomza

Tomza

Hey, Unity Team. I paid for the Pro Licence and I'm in the middle of making my project and your Beta gave me the error:

- starting compile Library/ScriptAssemblies/Assembly-CSharp-firstpass.dll, for buildtarget 5
    ApplicationException: Unable to find a suitable compiler
    at UnityEditor.Scripting.ScriptCompilers.CreateCompilerInstance (MonoIsland island, Boolean buildingForEditor, BuildTarget targetPlatform, Boolean runUpdater) [0x00075] in C:\buildslave\unity\build\Editor\Mono\Scripting\ScriptCompilers.cs:99
    (Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Scripting/ScriptCompilers.cs Line: 99)

Failed to create compiler instance
    (Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Src/AssetPipeline/MonoCompile.cpp Line: 86)

- Finished compile Library/ScriptAssemblies/Assembly-CSharp-firstpass.dll
    Compilation failed because the compiler couldn't be executed!
    (Filename: Line: 2352008)

- starting compile Library/ScriptAssemblies/Assembly-UnityScript-firstpass.dll, for buildtarget 5
    ApplicationException: Unable to find a suitable compiler
    at UnityEditor.Scripting.ScriptCompilers.CreateCompilerInstance (MonoIsland island, Boolean buildingForEditor, BuildTarget targetPlatform, Boolean runUpdater) [0x00075] in C:\buildslave\unity\build\Editor\Mono\Scripting\ScriptCompilers.cs:99
    (Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Scripting/ScriptCompilers.cs Line: 99)

Failed to create compiler instance
    (Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Src/AssetPipeline/MonoCompile.cpp Line: 86)

- Finished compile Library/ScriptAssemblies/Assembly-UnityScript-firstpass.dll
    Compilation failed because the compiler couldn't be executed!

I have tried all and nothing! I can't go into Play Mode.

Attached Files:

12. Angela_

Angela_

13. Angela_

Angela_

I had written, but I already found my serial number:)
    Thank you.

Aurore likes this.
  14. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

I think you should start a new thread for this and not here, also maybe bug report is the best thing.

15. Aurore

Aurore

What @MrEsquire said.

If you are experiencing an issue, please create a new thread about it and please please please report it as a bug! http://unity3d.com/BugReportingFAQ

Unity staff do respond here but issues still need to go through QA, help us by reporting bugs and post the bug number in your threads so we can easily reference them.

16. jilt

jilt

we (Netherlands Film Academy) pre-ordered Unity 5 (educational commercial) through Studica.com. Studica does not seem to know the beta has opened to pre-order customers yet. How can we obtain a serial to start beta testing?

17. Aurore

Aurore

Did you not receive a serial number when you pre-ordered?

18. jilt

jilt

oh the 4.x serial we received should work?

19. DanSuperGP

DanSuperGP

Aren't Unity Pro licenses purchased after the the Unity 5 announcement at GDC supposed to be automatically part of the pre-order? The company I work for ordered a big group of licenses in June, but none of them appear to work with the Unity 5 beta.

20. SaraCecilia

SaraCecilia

Hi, could you PM me your account manager and your company name?

21. gregory_igromatic

gregory_igromatic

Installed Unity5(beta12). I do have serial number and Pro. But i cannot see - export to WebGL option. Can it be not included into the license by some accident? (participated in Tizen beta, so maybe something was mannualy set up). using 32 bit Win XP can be a problem?

22. jonas-echterhoff

jonas-echterhoff

Unity Technologies

Building for WebGL is only available in the 64-bit editor, as the toolchain we use requires 64-bit (We have made this clearer in the UI for the next beta).

23. wetcircuit

wetcircuit

I have seen some folder permission issues on Yosemite. U5 could not write it's preferences file to the folder where U4's file is, because of permissions (no write privileges for admin???!!). I had to change the folder's permissions before I could even install it.... (yes I sent a report with the error message).

It was my 3rd or 5th try at installing, before I got that specific warning. The other warnings had been cryptic, or the installer would just hang after I typed in the serial.

24. sluice

sluice

Are we allowed to distribute any Unity WebGL product?

25. jonas-echterhoff

jonas-echterhoff

Unity Technologies

Yes.

sluice likes this.
  26. Brian-Ryer

Brian-Ryer

Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question, I really want to go Pro via the monthly payments, if I subscribe now will my license convert to unity 5 pro when its released or will my pro license stay in the unity 4 cycle.

The reason I ask is I really want the 64bit editor in unity 5, but want to go pro asap.

Should I hold off the subscription until U5 release or can I go ahead and subscribe.

Thank you

27. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

The benefit of a subscription is to always be on the latest available Version number. So if you keep subscribing you get every new version no matter what. Otherwise it would not be a subscription but an installment payment.
    I don't know if subscriptions get access to Unity5 Beta as well, though.

More important even: If you think about switching to Unity5 Beta right now be advised that it's by far not as stable as the 4.6 Betas were. It is awesome and a lot of fun to use but you really also need a sense for adventure if you want to use it for an actual release now.

Roni92 likes this.
  28. Brian-Ryer

Brian-Ryer

Thank you for clearing that up the_motionblur.

29. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

Yes it is

30. ninjanosui

ninjanosui

Hi Guys, The Unity5 beta seems to use the same serial as my unity4.. I need to develop in 4 still.. But want to check out 5 on my new computer.. isnt this possible?

31. Brian-Ryer

Brian-Ryer

Hi ninjanosui,
    You can use both, I do the same myself, use unity 4 to work (for now) and open unity 5 to test things out and see how they look, but like the others have said before me, it is still in beta and is still buggy as hell.

hope that helps.

32. Tomza

Tomza

Oh yes, buggy as hell! I have sent many bug reports. It's good they make Beta versions quickly.

33. zRedCode

zRedCode

Hey UT, when basic function like SetAxis will be implemented? Planned yes, but when it will come out? Is a basic thing.

34. Zwilnik

Zwilnik

Can the Unity 5 beta be installed alongside Unity 4 (or ideally on a separate test machine)? I want to be able to check my current projects convert to Unity 5 without interrupting development and on my account (Pro subscription) I only see the code for my Pro Subscription and no separate Unity 5 beta code.

35. zRedCode

zRedCode

you can download unity 4 and unity 5 using the same code to have two installations at once.

36. seattlebluesky

seattlebluesky

@BrotenTechCorp Does the partition that the projects are on verify disk and verify file permissions ok in Disk Utility?

37. SteveJ

SteveJ

I haven't played with any of the betas for quite a while - are we getting close now or still a long way to go?

38. seattlebluesky

seattlebluesky

@SteveJ, beta 21 does not have light mapping parity with at least the feature dual lightmaps which I was using in 4.x. The quality of light mapping though is great in 5, albeit slow to bake and occasionally buggy to complete. Personally I'm waiting on dynamic shadows w/ baked lightmaps to arrive.

protopop likes this.
  39. SteveJ

SteveJ

I'm guessing by this point that overall stability is getting there though hopefully. I'm putting off paying much attention to lighting/shading stuff in my current (4.6) project in the hopes that 5 will be along before I deal with that. Still keeping my fingers crossed...

40. Silly_Rollo

Silly_Rollo

Last "stable" beta is still pretty unstable for me and things are still shifting pretty strongly from beta to beta. I think we're still talking months away.

41. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Months? I hope not...
    What is there physically left to add in terms of features that would take this long?
    I was hope for release end of March.

42. Jaimi

Jaimi

My gut feel is months (june/july would be my guess). But I don't work there so take that with a grain of salt. :)

protopop likes this.
  43. thedreamer

thedreamer

5.0 is another uGUI.,. Unity announce 5.0's release date at this year's GDC conference.. release date is summer.. but but it reveal just "open beta" at this Unite.. and full release date is november

Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
  44. Roni92

Roni92

The problem here is that they still can't focus on bug fixing etc, because they are still trying to make things actually WORK, then they can focus on bugs. Thats why it takes time. 5 wont be ready before summer for sure.

45. Tomza

Tomza

Yeah, Unity... I would like to see the stable version as quickly as possible too. I won't wait for this summer. We made a decision to download Unreal Engine 4. We will still be using Unity, but the main tool will be Unreal not to lose precious time.

46. Ostwind

Ostwind

Yeah it's not funny if you have paid +1-3k long time ago and there is still no product to use and does not look like there will be for a month or two at least. The quality between betas seem to change a lot. In next versions something that you need/use can break while it worked in previous and while this is happening with various features it's hard to do anything in business perspective other than play around.

I personally can still manage with 4.x but will be re-thinking more than twice next time when pre-ordering something that has no estimated release date. It has soon been a year since pre-orders started. I was not too much of an early bird (at least I thought so when paid at beginning of June) but still the money could have been invested on to something better or productive like other tools or art services or subscriptions while waiting for the final version. I would not be complaining so much if the pre-order costs in general or at least for addon upgrades would have been a lot less :rolleyes:

Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
    protopop likes this.
  47. seattlebluesky

seattlebluesky

My 2c.
    Exposing Unity 5 to customers as an open Beta is/was a great idea. Unity 5 has big, complicated changes and the testing required across all platforms is massive and something that an open Beta can greatly aid in.
    BUT charging those same customers for the privilege wasn't. The need to pay has created expectations in the quality of the Beta(s) and time to market for Unity 5.

48. Tomza

Tomza

Exactly!

49. djweinbaum

djweinbaum

What should they have done instead? Give everyone access to 5 pro beta? Or roll out two betas a pro and a free? Give all Unity 4 pro owners access to the 5 beta? Then what happens when 5 comes out? People who had downloaded the beta would still have the latest beta/RC.

50. BBRome

BBRome