Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity 5.0, can't load past Project Select

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by xiggie, May 18, 2015.

1. xiggie

xiggie

I've seen another thread with the same problem stated, but none of those solutions seemed to have helped me, so I thought I'd just start a new thread. It was 2 months old anyway, and I don't know how long it takes for it to be considered necro posting.

Cutting right to the chase

The problem with my Unity now is that it loads up until the project select screen, and i click my project, and the loading part flashes for a split second on my screen. And nothing happens after that.

The processes 'Unity Editor' and 'Unity Helper' are being run in the background, and I leave them running for a few hours, but nothing happens. I then end the process with no problem whatsoever.

The first thing I do when I turn on the computer is start up Unity, and occasionally, Unity would start. Repeating the same process everyday, not changing anything in particular as it's a new computer and I had not really downloaded anything on it besides the essentials.

I've tried uninstalling and then reinstalling several versions of Unity several times.

5.0.1 (something)
    5.0.2 (something)
    5.1.0f1 (x64 and x86)

I probably forgot some stuff in this thread, but for now these are the main problems. Please and thank you :(

EDIT: I use Windows 8.1, if that makes any difference.

Last edited: May 18, 2015
    00Fant likes this.
  2. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Hi,

Is this a problem that occurs with a particular project or just any project?

00Fant likes this.
  3. xiggie

xiggie

This happens for every project. Even when I create a new project. Also I have some old projects, and when the program asks me to upgrade the projects to the current version of Unity, I click Okay and it takes about 3 seconds to process, and then the same thing happens again.

00Fant likes this.
  4. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Can you take a look at the Editor log and see if anything stands out, post it here if you can. It should be at C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Local\Unity\Editor

00Fant likes this.
  5. xiggie

xiggie

I've taken a look at Editor.txt inside the path that you specified, and this is what I found inside. I'm not sure how to read this, so if you could help take a look at it:

Code (CSharp):
    2. LICENSE SYSTEM [2015518 23:19:2] No start/stop license dates set
    4. LICENSE SYSTEM [2015518 23:19:2] Next license update check is after 2015-05-16T07:36:49
    6. Built from '5.1/staging' branch; Version is '5.1.0f1 (82c0618b396f) revision 8568929'; Using compiler version '160040219'
    7. OS: 'Windows 8.1  (6.3.9600) 64bit' Language: 'en' Physical Memory: 8144 MB
    8. BatchMode: 0, IsHumanControllingUs: 1, StartBugReporterOnCrash: 1, Is64bit: 1, IsPro: 0
    9. Initialize mono
    10. Mono path[0] = 'C:/Program Files/Unity/Editor/Data/Managed'
    11. Mono path[1] = 'C:/Program Files/Unity/Editor/Data/Mono/lib/mono/2.0'
    12. Mono path[2] = 'C:/Program Files/Unity/Editor/Data/UnityScript'
    13. Mono config path = 'C:/Program Files/Unity/Editor/Data/Mono/etc'
    14. Using monoOptions --debugger-agent=transport=dt_socket,embedding=1,defer=y
    15. IsTimeToCheckForNewEditor: Update time 1432011993 current 1432016342
    16. EditorUpdateCheck: Response {updateinterval: '3600'} updateurl =  interval = 3600
    17. C:/Users/xiggies/Documents/Unity3D Projects/0x20
    18. Loading GUID <-> Path mappings...0.000120 seconds
    19. Loading Asset Database...0.005731 seconds
    20. AssetDatabase consistency checks...0.028660 seconds
    21. Initialize engine version: 5.1.0f1 (82c0618b396f)
    22. GfxDevice: creating device client; threaded=1
    23. Direct3D:
    24.     Version:  Direct3D 11.0 [level 11.0]
    25.     Renderer: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 (ID=0x13c2)
    26.     Vendor:   NVIDIA
    27.     VRAM:     3993 MB
    28. Begin MonoManager ReloadAssembly
    29. Platform assembly: C:\Program Files\Unity\Editor\Data\Managed\UnityEngine.dll (this message is harmless)
    30. Platform assembly: C:\Program Files\Unity\Editor\Data\Managed\UnityEditor.dll (this message is harmless)
    31. Platform assembly: C:\Program Files\Unity\Editor\Data\Managed\Unity.Locator.dll (this message is harmless)
    32. Refreshing native plugins compatible for Editor in 0.27 ms, found 0 plugins.
    33. Platform assembly: C:\Program Files\Unity\Editor\Data\Mono\lib\mono\2.0\I18N.dll (this message is harmless)
    34. Platform assembly: C:\Program Files\Unity\Editor\Data\Mono\lib\mono\2.0\I18N.West.dll (this message is harmless)
    35. Platform assembly: C:\Program Files\Unity\Editor\Data\Managed\Unity.DataContract.dll (this message is harmless)
    36. Platform assembly: C:\Program Files\Unity\Editor\Data\Mono\lib\mono\2.0\System.Core.dll (this message is harmless)
    37. Platform assembly: C:\Program Files\Unity\Editor\Data\Managed\Unity.IvyParser.dll (this message is harmless)
    38. Platform assembly: C:\Program Files\Unity\Editor\Data\Mono\lib\mono\2.0\System.dll (this message is harmless)
    39. Platform assembly: C:\Program Files\Unity\Editor\Data\Mono\lib\mono\2.0\System.Xml.dll (this message is harmless)
    40. Platform assembly: C:\Program Files\Unity\Editor\Data\Mono\lib\mono\2.0\System.Configuration.dll (this message is harmless)
    41. Platform assembly: C:\Program Files\Unity\Editor\Data\PackageManager\Unity\PackageManager\5.1.0\Unity.PackageManager.dll (this message is harmless)
    42. Initializing Unity.PackageManager (PackageManager) v5.1.0 for Unity v5.1.0f1
    44. Setting Android v5.1.0 for Unity v5.1.0f1 to C:\Program Files\Unity\Editor\Data\PlaybackEngines\androidplayer
    46. Setting BlackBerry v5.1.0 for Unity v5.1.0f1 to C:\Program Files\Unity\Editor\Data\PlaybackEngines\blackberryplayer
    48. Setting BB10 v5.1.0 for Unity v5.1.0f1 to C:\Program Files\Unity\Editor\Data\PlaybackEngines\iossupport
    50. Setting StandaloneLinux v5.1.0 for Unity v5.1.0f1 to C:\Program Files\Unity\Editor\Data\PlaybackEngines\linuxstandalonesupport
    52. Setting StandaloneOSXIntel v5.1.0 for Unity v5.1.0f1 to C:\Program Files\Unity\Editor\Data\PlaybackEngines\macstandalonesupport
    54. Setting WSAPlayer v5.1.0 for Unity v5.1.0f1 to C:\Program Files\Unity\Editor\Data\PlaybackEngines\metrosupport
    56. Setting SamsungTV v5.1.0 for Unity v5.1.0f1 to C:\Program Files\Unity\Editor\Data\PlaybackEngines\stvplayer\STVPlayer
    58. Setting WebGL v5.1.0 for Unity v5.1.0f1 to C:\Program Files\Unity\Editor\Data\PlaybackEngines\webglsupport
    60. Setting StandaloneWindows v5.1.0 for Unity v5.1.0f1 to C:\Program Files\Unity\Editor\Data\PlaybackEngines\windowsstandalonesupport
    62. Setting WP8Player v5.1.0 for Unity v5.1.0f1 to C:\Program Files\Unity\Editor\Data\PlaybackEngines\wp8support
    64. Setting GUISystem v5.1.0 for Unity v5.1.0f1 to C:\Program Files\Unity\Editor\Data\UnityExtensions\Unity\GUISystem
    66. Setting UNetHLAPI v5.1.0 for Unity v5.1.0f1 to C:\Program Files\Unity\Editor\Data\UnityExtensions\Unity\Networking
    68. Setting UnityAnalytics v5.1.0 for Unity v5.1.0f1 to C:\Program Files\Unity\Editor\Data\UnityExtensions\Unity\UnityAnalytics
    70. Setting IL2CPP v0.10.1 for Unity v5.1.0f1 to C:\Program Files\Unity\Editor\Data\il2cpp
    72. Registering custom dll's ...
    73. Register platform support module: C:\Program Files\Unity\Editor\Data\PlaybackEngines\androidplayer/UnityEditor.Android.Extensions.dll
    74. Register platform support module: C:/Program Files/Unity/Editor/Data/PlaybackEngines/iOSSupport/UnityEditor.iOS.Extensions.dll
    75. Register platform support module: C:\Program Files\Unity\Editor\Data\PlaybackEngines\wp8support/UnityEditor.WP8.Extensions.dll
    76. Register platform support module: C:\Program Files\Unity\Editor\Data\PlaybackEngines\metrosupport/UnityEditor.Metro.Extensions.dll
    77. Register platform support module: C:\Program Files\Unity\Editor\Data\PlaybackEngines\blackberryplayer/UnityEditor.BB10.Extensions.dll
    78. Register platform support module: C:\Program Files\Unity\Editor\Data\PlaybackEngines\stvplayer\STVPlayer/UnityEditor.SamsungTV.Extensions.dll
    79. Register platform support module: C:\Program Files\Unity\Editor\Data\PlaybackEngines\webglsupport/UnityEditor.WebGL.Extensions.dll
    80. Register platform support module: C:\Program Files\Unity\Editor\Data\PlaybackEngines\linuxstandalonesupport/UnityEditor.LinuxStandalone.Extensions.dll
    81. Register platform support module: C:\Program Files\Unity\Editor\Data\PlaybackEngines\windowsstandalonesupport/UnityEditor.WindowsStandalone.Extensions.dll
    82. Register platform support module: C:\Program Files\Unity\Editor\Data\PlaybackEngines\macstandalonesupport/UnityEditor.OSXStandalone.Extensions.dll
    83. Registered in 0.011468 seconds.
    84. Non platform assembly: C:\Users\xiggies\Documents\Unity3D Projects\0x20\Library\ScriptAssemblies\Assembly-CSharp.dll (this message is harmless)
    85. Loading C:\Users\xiggies\Documents\Unity3D Projects\0x20\Library\ScriptAssemblies\Assembly-CSharp.dll into Unity Child Domain
    86. Platform assembly: C:\Program Files\Unity\Editor\Data\PackageManager\Unity\PackageManager\5.1.0\Unity.PackageManager.dll (this message is harmless)
    87. Loading C:\Program Files\Unity\Editor\Data\PackageManager\Unity\PackageManager\5.1.0\Unity.PackageManager.dll into Unity Child Domain
    88. Non platform assembly: C:\Program Files\Unity\Editor\Data\UnityExtensions\Unity\GUISystem\UnityEngine.UI.dll (this message is harmless)
    89. Loading C:\Program Files\Unity\Editor\Data\UnityExtensions\Unity\GUISystem\UnityEngine.UI.dll into Unity Child Domain
    90. Non platform assembly: C:\Program Files\Unity\Editor\Data\UnityExtensions\Unity\GUISystem\Editor\UnityEditor.UI.dll (this message is harmless)
    91. Loading C:\Program Files\Unity\Editor\Data\UnityExtensions\Unity\GUISystem\Editor\UnityEditor.UI.dll into Unity Child Domain
    92. Non platform assembly: C:\Program Files\Unity\Editor\Data\UnityExtensions\Unity\Networking\UnityEngine.Networking.dll (this message is harmless)
    93. Loading C:\Program Files\Unity\Editor\Data\UnityExtensions\Unity\Networking\UnityEngine.Networking.dll into Unity Child Domain
    94. Non platform assembly: C:\Program Files\Unity\Editor\Data\UnityExtensions\Unity\Networking\Editor\UnityEditor.Networking.dll (this message is harmless)
    95. Loading C:\Program Files\Unity\Editor\Data\UnityExtensions\Unity\Networking\Editor\UnityEditor.Networking.dll into Unity Child Domain
    96. Non platform assembly: C:\Program Files\Unity\Editor\Data\UnityExtensions\Unity\UnityAnalytics\UnityEngine.Analytics.dll (this message is harmless)
    97. Loading C:\Program Files\Unity\Editor\Data\UnityExtensions\Unity\UnityAnalytics\UnityEngine.Analytics.dll into Unity Child Domain
    98. Platform assembly: C:\Program Files\Unity\Editor\Data\Managed\UnityEditor.Graphs.dll (this message is harmless)
    99. Loading C:\Program Files\Unity\Editor\Data\Managed\UnityEditor.Graphs.dll into Unity Child Domain
    100. Platform assembly: C:\Program Files\Unity\Editor\Data\PlaybackEngines\androidplayer\UnityEditor.Android.Extensions.dll (this message is harmless)
    101. Loading C:\Program Files\Unity\Editor\Data\PlaybackEngines\androidplayer\UnityEditor.Android.Extensions.dll into Unity Child Domain
    102. Non platform assembly: C:\Program Files\Unity\Editor\Data\PlaybackEngines\iOSSupport\UnityEditor.iOS.Extensions.dll (this message is harmless)
    103. Loading C:\Program Files\Unity\Editor\Data\PlaybackEngines\iOSSupport\UnityEditor.iOS.Extensions.dll into Unity Child Domain
    104. Platform assembly: C:\Program Files\Unity\Editor\Data\PlaybackEngines\wp8support\UnityEditor.WP8.Extensions.dll (this message is harmless)
    105. Loading C:\Program Files\Unity\Editor\Data\PlaybackEngines\wp8support\UnityEditor.WP8.Extensions.dll into Unity Child Domain
    106. Platform assembly: C:\Program Files\Unity\Editor\Data\PlaybackEngines\metrosupport\UnityEditor.Metro.Extensions.dll (this message is harmless)
    107. Loading C:\Program Files\Unity\Editor\Data\PlaybackEngines\metrosupport\UnityEditor.Metro.Extensions.dll into Unity Child Domain
    108. Platform assembly: C:\Program Files\Unity\Editor\Data\PlaybackEngines\blackberryplayer\UnityEditor.BB10.Extensions.dll (this message is harmless)
    109. Loading C:\Program Files\Unity\Editor\Data\PlaybackEngines\blackberryplayer\UnityEditor.BB10.Extensions.dll into Unity Child Domain
    110. Platform assembly: C:\Program Files\Unity\Editor\Data\PlaybackEngines\stvplayer\STVPlayer\UnityEditor.SamsungTV.Extensions.dll (this message is harmless)
    111. Loading C:\Program Files\Unity\Editor\Data\PlaybackEngines\stvplayer\STVPlayer\UnityEditor.SamsungTV.Extensions.dll into Unity Child Domain
    112. Platform assembly: C:\Program Files\Unity\Editor\Data\PlaybackEngines\webglsupport\UnityEditor.WebGL.Extensions.dll (this message is harmless)
    113. Loading C:\Program Files\Unity\Editor\Data\PlaybackEngines\webglsupport\UnityEditor.WebGL.Extensions.dll into Unity Child Domain
    114. Platform assembly: C:\Program Files\Unity\Editor\Data\PlaybackEngines\linuxstandalonesupport\UnityEditor.LinuxStandalone.Extensions.dll (this message is harmless)
    115. Loading C:\Program Files\Unity\Editor\Data\PlaybackEngines\linuxstandalonesupport\UnityEditor.LinuxStandalone.Extensions.dll into Unity Child Domain
    116. Platform assembly: C:\Program Files\Unity\Editor\Data\PlaybackEngines\windowsstandalonesupport\UnityEditor.WindowsStandalone.Extensions.dll (this message is harmless)
    117. Loading C:\Program Files\Unity\Editor\Data\PlaybackEngines\windowsstandalonesupport\UnityEditor.WindowsStandalone.Extensions.dll into Unity Child Domain
    118. Platform assembly: C:\Program Files\Unity\Editor\Data\PlaybackEngines\macstandalonesupport\UnityEditor.OSXStandalone.Extensions.dll (this message is harmless)
    119. Loading C:\Program Files\Unity\Editor\Data\PlaybackEngines\macstandalonesupport\UnityEditor.OSXStandalone.Extensions.dll into Unity Child Domain
    120. Refreshing native plugins compatible for Editor in 0.06 ms, found 0 plugins.
    121. Platform assembly: C:\Program Files\Unity\Editor\Data\Managed\Mono.Cecil.dll (this message is harmless)
    122. Platform assembly: C:\Program Files\Unity\Editor\Data\Managed\Unity.SerializationLogic.dll (this message is harmless)
    123. Platform assembly: C:\Program Files\Unity\Editor\Data\Mono\lib\mono\2.0\UnityScript.dll (this message is harmless)
    124. Platform assembly: C:\Program Files\Unity\Editor\Data\Managed\ICSharpCode.NRefactory.dll (this message is harmless)
    125. Non platform assembly: C:\Program Files\Unity\Editor\Data\PlaybackEngines\iOSSupport\UnityEditor.iOS.Extensions.Xcode.dll (this message is harmless)
    126. Platform assembly: C:\Program Files\Unity\Editor\Data\Mono\lib\mono\2.0\System.Xml.Linq.dll (this message is harmless)
    127. Mono: successfully reloaded assembly
    128. - Completed reload, in  3.060 seconds
    129. Registering platform support modules:
    131. Platform assembly: C:\Program Files\Unity\Editor\Data\Mono\lib\mono\2.0\Boo.Lang.Compiler.dll (this message is harmless)
    132. Platform assembly: C:\Program Files\Unity\Editor\Data\Mono\lib\mono\2.0\Boo.Lang.dll (this message is harmless)
    133. Platform assembly: C:\Program Files\Unity\Editor\Data\Mono\lib\mono\2.0\Boo.Lang.Parser.dll (this message is harmless)
    134. Platform assembly: C:\Program Files\Unity\Editor\Data\Mono\lib\mono\2.0\UnityScript.Lang.dll (this message is harmless)
    135. Platform assembly: C:\Program Files\Unity\Editor\Data\Mono\lib\mono\2.0\Mono.Security.dll (this message is harmless)
    136. Registered platform support modules in: 0.2271583s.
    138. Native extension for OSXStandalone target not found
    139. Native extension for WindowsStandalone target not found
    140. Native extension for LinuxStandalone target not found
    141. Native extension for WebGL target not found
    142. Native extension for SamsungTV target not found
    143. Native extension for BlackBerry target not found
    144. Load native extension module: C:\Program Files\Unity\Editor\Data\PlaybackEngines\metrosupport/x86_64/UnityEditor.Metro.Extensions.Native.dll
    145. Load native extension module: C:\Program Files\Unity\Editor\Data\PlaybackEngines\wp8support/x86_64/UnityEditor.WP8.Extensions.Native.dll
    146. Load native extension module: C:/Program Files/Unity/Editor/Data/PlaybackEngines/iOSSupport/x86_64/UnityEditor.iOS.Extensions.Native.dll
    147. Native extension for Android target not found
    148. Validating Project structure ... 0.000194 seconds.
    149. Refresh: detecting if any assets need to be imported or removed ... Refresh: elapses 0.000770 seconds (Nothing changed)
    150. Downloading http://update.unity3d.com/5.1/ivy.xml to C:\Users\xiggies\AppData\Local\Temp\unity\c6bebbbf-a95c-4c86-964f-d6c6e9b624b4\ivy.xml
    152. Task failed: Verifier Task

00Fant and bangpr00 like this.
  6. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

00Fant likes this.
  7. xiggie

xiggie

Yes, that is the exact thread that I was referring to. None of those solutions helped me.

00Fant likes this.
  8. xiggie

xiggie

I've just run the same setup on a different computer, and after I logged in, it gave me the options to pick Professional or Personal. I then created a new project, and Unity started. All the time I've reinstalled it on this computer, it has never asked me to pick from Professional or Personal after I signed in. So I think maybe the problem might be something to do with the license? Is there a way I can completely reset Unity's registries (if there are even any), and or remove any record of old licenses, so that I can make a full, clean, fresh reinstall?

00Fant likes this.
  9. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

See if anything exists in C:\ProgramData\Unity

00Fant likes this.
  10. DuqueKarl21

DuqueKarl21

Same problem here, karl.jones - already written some details here: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/un...ast-project-select.306604/page-2#post-2118318

Basically 5.0.1f1 64 bits worked for a few days. Stopped working. I installed 32 bits version and had it working for 2 weeks (using Sleep mode, not shutting down). Then one day I shut down and next morning started my computer and it stopped working (May 14). I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling with no luck, turning off antivirus and firewall, and no luck

Any help is appreciated.

00Fant likes this.
  11. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

can you post your editor log?

00Fant likes this.
  12. xiggie

xiggie

Hi,

Sorry for the late reply, I wasn't on the computer. I went ahead and deleted that path you suggested, as I didn't see anything in it, and started Unity again without reinstalling. It asked me to update my license, and after a while, it seems to be working again.

Thanks a whole bunch, @karl.jones !

00Fant and karl_jones like this.
  13. DuqueKarl21

DuqueKarl21

Just deleted and reinstalled again 5.0.2f1 Still not working. Pasting here log

00Fant likes this.
  14. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Have you tried deleting the C:\ProgramData\Unity directory like xiggie?

00Fant and SolarFalcon like this.
  15. DuqueKarl21

DuqueKarl21

Yes I deleted the C:\Program Data\Unity directory. I run Unity. Nothing happened as usual, I copy-pasted here the log file and put my laptop on Sleep Mode.

I just arrived home, opened my laptop and Unity Editor opened... YESSS! After 6 crazy days it finally worked again! Thanks a lot, karl.jones!!! I really appreciate it, man!

00Fant and karl_jones like this.
  16. Ladu

Ladu

After 3 hours of reinstalling and rebooting and trying everything suggested in this thread, I was about to give up and revert to 4.6 when I was like "Why not just try to put it into sleep mode then?!".

And this actually worked! Just putting it into sleepmode with the unkillable process still active made it pop up once it was booted again. Thank you very very much for this silly solution!

Btw: This fix worked for me on the 32bit version, which was still giving me the "unkillable process" and "nothing after project selection" problems.

00Fant and IwasAxel like this.
  17. DuqueKarl21

DuqueKarl21

LOL completely unexpected... never see that coming! Literally cracking up laughing!

Anyways... don't forget you owe me one :cool:

00Fant, karl_jones and Ladu like this.
  18. IwasAxel

IwasAxel

WHY IS THIS THE THING THAT WORKED!?

00Fant likes this.
  19. 00Fant

00Fant

OMG... i had the same problem... 1 week i look for a solution.. then i found this thread. !Thanks! unbelivable...
    1.Start Unity
    2. Open any Project/Create new. Process Stuck.
    3. Turn the PC in Sleepmode.
    4. It Shut down and awake.
    5. Bam Unity Starts.

But Why :eek::eek:.
    anyway Thx a lot.. the next step to find a solution was Reinstall Windows :confused:

20. MaximilianPs

MaximilianPs

Patch 5.4.5p4
    didn't start event with new project.
    The only solution still reinstall it :mad:

... ok suspending PC and restarting it works. :p:D