Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity 5.0 Beta 16 Now Available

Discussion in 'Unity 5 Pre-order Beta' started by Alex-Lian, Dec 4, 2014.

1. Alex-Lian

Alex-Lian

Unity 5.0 beta 16 is now available for download: http://unity3d.com/unity/beta/5.0

Please report bugs as usual: http://unity3d.com/BugReportingFAQ

Note: Entering licensing on windows will crash the Editor.
    Workaround:

1. Delete C:\ProgramData\Unity\Unity_v5.x.ulf (if it exists)
    2. Run "Unity.exe -serial (serial)" from command-line. This will activate Unity and write license file, so only have to do this once.

(For those needing alternate download choices vs. the download assistant which is a work in progress):
    Here are the links to individual component installers for Unity 5.0.0b16.

Windows:

32-bit Editor
    64-bit Editor
    Web Player
    Sample Assets
    Example Project

OS X:

Editor (64-bit only)
    Web Player
    Sample Assets
    Example Project

shkar-noori likes this.
  2. shkar-noori

shkar-noori

well that was fast, and currently downloading...

3. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Mecanim team been busy, nice change log :)

4. shkar-noori

shkar-noori

indeed it was, still hoping for the day when I read this line in the changelog:
    Image Effects: added Screen Space Reflections.

MrEsquire likes this.
  5. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Are you comparing things to Unreal Engine?

WILEz1975 likes this.
  6. shkar-noori

shkar-noori

Nope. but improved\new Image effects are essential.

hippocoder likes this.
  7. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Looking forward to screenspace myself :)

Also it would be nice to see best working practises ie what order to use post fx for deferred/pbr/linear etc.

p87 likes this.
  8. shkar-noori

shkar-noori

And it crashes after updating my project...
    Errors, errors everywhere... :(
    it just doesn't work, the editor is all broken, seems like the installer was not completed as normal, I'm trying the alternative installers now,
    MissingMethodException: Method not found: 'UnityEngine.RequireComponent..ctor'.
    at System.Collections.Generic.List`1[KurdifyEngine.UI.ComboBoxItem]..cctor () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    Rethrow as TypeInitializationException: An exception was thrown by the type initializer for System.Collections.Generic.List`1

Last edited: Dec 4, 2014
  9. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

I hope this build includes 4.6p1 patch especially for major issue on Windows Phone Lumia 530?

10. idunlop_oefun

idunlop_oefun

5.0.0b16 has some serious editor related issues. I tried both the installer and standalone pkg for mac os x.

Everything was fine until I built for iOS. After that the inspector for materials was broken. I also get the following errors in the console.

The only fix that I've discovered so far is to reinstall Unity.

Code (csharp):
    2. FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'UnityEngine.UI, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' or one of its dependencies.
    Code (CSharp):
    1. NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    2. UnityEditor.GameObjectTreeViewDataSource.IsUsingAlphaSort () (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/GUI/TreeView/GameObjectTreeViewDataSource.cs:146)
    3. UnityEditor.GameObjectTreeViewDataSource.FetchData () (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/GUI/TreeView/GameObjectTreeViewDataSource.cs:78)
    4. UnityEditor.LazyTreeViewDataSource.GetVisibleRows () (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/GUI/TreeView/LazyTreeViewDataSource.cs:113)
    5. UnityEditor.TreeView.OnGUI (Rect rect, Int32 keyboardControlID) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/GUI/TreeView/TreeView.cs:404)
    6. UnityEditor.SceneHierarchyWindow.DoTreeView (Single searchPathHeight) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/SceneHierarchyWindow.cs:347)
    7. UnityEditor.SceneHierarchyWindow.OnGUI () (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/SceneHierarchyWindow.cs:195)
    8. System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)
    9. UnityEditor.WindowLayout:LoadWindowLayout(String, Boolean)

11. Tomza

Tomza

I am going to download soon. I hope those f*** errors were fixed. I lost my patience and even started to think with my employer to change the game engine. If Unity 5.0 isn't good enough, we will use other software for building the main 3D platform.

12. Dantus

Dantus

A more appropriate engine would indeed be Unity 4.x. You could avoid lots of trouble with it and you wouldn't need to complain in every Unity 5 beta release thread about it. The important word in the previous sentence is BETA.

13. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

What do you not get, its beta software... Also Tomza you been acting like only person on this forum with issues, we all have our own so stop acting like you should have some special priority over others..

RustyFlash, p87 and Ostwind like this.
  14. Tomza

Tomza

Sorry, it's not complain, it's a way to make Unity Team work better :). When I bought the Pro licence, they started to listen to me, at least partly, so I use that to make a better progress. Besides, with my big and complicated project, I help Unity Team to find serious errors. In other words, my complain is useful for you, too ;).

By the way, Unity forum was started to complain. And many people complain... And the gods of Unity Technologies listen to mortals and maybe accommodate the wishes :p.

I know I'm crazy but I love testing BETA and complain. Sorry...

15. shkar-noori

shkar-noori

I re-installed unity using the alternative installers, fixed most of the issues, but it was not noted that an attribute name changed and broke my whole project and crashed unity, and all the DLL's most be rebuilt before you can use them, and there are still assert errors with animation window errors too, but they don't happen to often [at least if you close the animation window].

good job on the beta guys, this one came a little earlier than i though and had more improvements, keep up the good work.

16. Dantus

Dantus

They tend to listen to people who provide valuable feedback. Complaining doesn't make anyone work better. Owning a Pro license doesn't give you any right to ask Unity to do something. You help the Unity community by submitting useful bug reports. The additional complaining is not necessary and helps no one.
    The Unity forum mostly exists to help people.

p87, Ostwind, MrEsquire and 2 others like this.
  17. Tomza

Tomza

I send bug reports, don't worry, but at the same time I write on the Unity forum to see what other people say. I wish to know if they have similar problems. You think it's not important.

If Unity 5.0 isn't good enough, we will use other software for building the main 3D platform.

Saying that, I meant the official release, not Beta. My task is very complicated, so me and my employer started to seek the best solution and we consider other game engines, too.

18. Dantus

Dantus

Informing others about issues is a good move. Complaining in several threads about it is not necessary and not helpful at all!

p87 and hippocoder like this.
  19. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

That's not very smart is it.

What part of beta - use at own risk do you not understand? How can you expect anyone to respect what you said or take you seriously when you are talking about beta software that is not even released yet?

Unbelievable attitude.

---edit follows----

OK I see you edited with:
    Then yes, certainly. If it's not good when it's released, then that makes sense ;)

RustyFlash, p87 and shkar-noori like this.
  20. Tomza

Tomza

Money, time and pressure - as every commercial task. That's all.

21. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Agreed, yes I noticed your edit. I understand the frustration of course. But beta is beta and we must judge final.

22. Tomza

Tomza

Yes, we are waiting for the final release. I did not want to make anybody angry, but those errors were easy to fix and I lost one month. It made me nervous. I read the Editor Log - nothing. No trace! It's really bad the log isn't more informative. I think many problems would be fixed without sending bug reports.

EDIT: those errors would probably exist in 4.x versions because they aren't related to Editor, but to assets. So the fact that we have a Beta version now isn't important. Earlier, I tested my project with 4.6 - I got the same errors. So, guys, without negative emotions - my suggestion not complain - the Editor Log should be more informative.

23. Roni92

Roni92

Im afraid that with every beta build they fix some problems but about the same amount of new problems/bugs are showing. For me it looks like it will take few years before we got some stable version(stable as for unity of course...)

24. Tomza

Tomza

Yes, there are BUGS we have no influence over, but there are some errors that you can fix without pain. You read log and if you are an experienced programmer, you see what's wrong. Remove the problem and work like before. Without forums and bug reports.

25. alexandre-fiset

alexandre-fiset

The editor is also broken on our end. Most of the time, the Hierarchy simply won't work.

I know it is beta stuff, but "making sure the editor works" is basic Quality Assurance and if broken should not be released publicly IMO. Or at least have a note in the Release Note saying: "Editor might not work".

A broken editor is practically useless and a complete waste of time for everyone using it.

Silly_Rollo likes this.
  26. Dantus

Dantus

I agree that there are several situations in which the Editor Log could be more informative.

27. Tomza

Tomza

Yes, Dantus, I had such a situation. If I found the info in the Editor Log, there wouldn't be such a fuss on the forum. Silently, I would fix the problem and work further.

When something wrong, I always read the log. I'm a Linux fan so I read logs all the time. For me, a good software should have a good log system. It's the first place where programmers/advanced users seek solutions when something goes wrong.

Please improve the Editor Log, Unity Technologies! You will save work for many users and for yourselves!

28. shkar-noori

shkar-noori

See if you use [DisallowMultipleComponent] attribute, if so you have to change it to [DisallowMultipleComponents]
    and recompile all your plugins, and maybe the script update will do it for you, it didn't do it for me though.

29. DanSuperGP

DanSuperGP

I got a bunch of these when I first opened b16

MissingMethodException: Method not found: 'UnityEngine.RequireComponent..ctor'.

But everything appears to work so far.

alexzzzz likes this.
  30. shkar-noori

shkar-noori

See if you use [DisallowMultipleComponent] attribute, if so you have to change it to [DisallowMultipleComponents]
    I had the same problem, recompiling my plugins for the new UnityEngine.dll and UnityEditor.dll fixed the errors,

31. sjm-tech

sjm-tech

There is a issue in the standard shader inspector GUI.
    Main Maps Tiling field is the same of Secondary Maps Tiling.

Workaround:
    - download the Built-in Shaders for Unity 5.0 beta 16.zip
    - Extact the folder "Editor" (with StandardShaderGUI.cs) inside of project tab.
    - Open StandardShaderGUI.cs and locate line 154:

Code (CSharp):
    1. m_MaterialEditor.TextureScaleOffsetProperty(detailAlbedoMap);
    edit with:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. m_MaterialEditor.TextureScaleOffsetProperty(albedoMap);

elbows likes this.
  32. alexandre-fiset

alexandre-fiset

Thanks for the tips. It seems like the source of our editor compiler error is inside a compiled plugin, which make it impossible for us to change by ourselves. I guess we will have to wait for the next Beta or for the plugin creator to update his package for Unity 5. :eek:

33. Luckymouse

Luckymouse

Beta 16 Webplayer seems broken
    B16_Webplayer_Error.jpg

34. Tomza

Tomza

I removed all from the Plugin and the Editor folders. Now, I can work with Unity 5.0 without greater problems. And again, if any plugin doesn't work, it should be written in the Editor Log. It's easy but I lost much time to seek the reason. In reality, somebody from Unity forum helped me because he had had the same problem.

Unity is a very complicated software, so the source of errors can be everywhere. Sometimes, less experienced users are asked to publish the error found in the log. And it's published. Then, more experienced users think what's happened and how to fix. Maybe this and maybe that. And maybe something different. We can only guess. But maybe one can help both the less experienced and more experienced users make their life easier.

EDIT: I know maybe I overkill but I have a long experience as a computer programmer and I see some things to improve. Using other good software, when you experience an error, you are asked to send the support team not your whole project, but log only. A good log system can say almost all about the software. For example, I don't send my MySQL databases to the support team, only logs if there's something wrong.

35. Genjin

Genjin

I have trouble opening my project with this beta. Other projects and new projects open fine, but opening my actual main project fails. I see the process of Unity.exe appear in the Task Manager and then disappear completely without any error. If I use the "Open Other" Button and select the folder of my project again it will show me an error about creation of Temp Directory failed and pressing Try Again just results in the same thing. In the Temp Folder of my project is UnityLockfile and a GiCache folder with lots of subfolders, all empty and everything is 0kb big. The Temp folder does not disappear after the Unity process disappears. I have tried deleting the Temp folder manually to see if it recovers on next open, but it just creates everything again at 0kb and quits the process as before.

What should I do?

36. Tomza

Tomza

Good question! Maybe, you publish the log :). I'm joking. Other projects are opened and this one isn't, so I think you have something bad in your main project. Any corrupted assets? Or broken dlls? Have you tried to remove all from your project but the Assets folder. If your project is important for you, just make a copy.

Genjin likes this.
  37. DanSuperGP

DanSuperGP

Make a copy of your project.

With that copy of your project, try to isolate what individual components of the project are causing Unity to crash. You can do this by removing components from the project and then trying to open it until you discover which components are causing it.

From what I've read on the forums, Materials and Plugins have been the most common source of crashing errors on upgrade.

Genjin likes this.
  38. Tomza

Tomza

Not only. I had problems with Materials and Plugins, but there can be something different in his project. Let him rebuild the copy of the project, having left only the Assets folder. We will see what will happen.

Genjin likes this.
  39. Genjin

Genjin

It actually worked. I only kept the Assets and the ProjectSettings Folders. It took forever to reimport everything again but everything seems to be in order and work fine now. Thank you!

DanSuperGP likes this.
  40. DanSuperGP

DanSuperGP

That's awesome.

41. Tomza

Tomza

I'm glad. Earlier, I have a situation when I left the Project Settings folder and I still got the compilation errors. So only the Assets folder was left and after reimport the errors disappeared.

I know the reimporting is a big pain especially if you have a big project. I have such a big project that my reimporting took two days. And I did that many times, because when restarted Unity, the error came back.

By the way, I downloaded and installed Unity Beta 16 and I have the same situation like yours. During opening the project, Unity disappears from Task Manager and nothing. I see I am forced to rebuild my project :). And I can leave Project Setting.

Thanks!

42. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

I had tons of error messages on opening my Beta15 Project as well. Reimporting all assets first crashed Unity again at a prefab which was automatically disabled on the second reimport of the project.
    On upgrading from Beta 15 to Beta 16 it seems that ProBuilder Objects can make problems.So just a heads up for everybody using ProBuilder - if you have prefabs made from ProBuilder Objects that have not been exported to an OBJ first you might run into problems.

After Unity disabled the one prefab I made from actual ProBuilder models everything else reimported and the project seems to work fine again, now.

hippocoder likes this.
  43. Schubkraft

Schubkraft

Unity Technologies

@Luckymouse you can use the 4.6 plugin meanwhile to play your 5.0 content. Looking into the issue.

Luckymouse and shkar-noori like this.
  44. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I can't actually reach the bug reporter, it's slammed my console upon opening b16 with my project which was fine in earlier betas. No idea what all that stuff means since my code doesn't do any of that.

45. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

We have probuilder! will give it a shot now - thanks!

- yep that was it! deleting it and all the problems went away.

shkar-noori likes this.
  46. fzd

fzd

Ditto, I get the same errors when loading a b15 project.

EDIT: The issue stopping me load the project was ProBuilder. After backing up the project I deleted the PB folders and it loaded ok. Then I downloaded the latest PB version from the Asset Store (Dec 3rd release) and voila it all works.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2014
  47. DanSuperGP

DanSuperGP

I got them on loading, but everything works.

48. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

Glad I could help. :)

hippocoder likes this.
  49. Tomza

Tomza

I'm still rebuilding my big Unity Project, so I haven't had time to test the new Beta yet :(. Hope Unity will be ready to use tomorrow.

50. Korindian

Korindian

Hi,

Having the same errors as Hippocoder and fzd above. I don't have ProBuilder, so I don't know what the problem is, even after deleting various assets. My project doesn't have any errors in Beta 13 or 14.

After repeated attempts to open the project in Beta 16, I start getting the "Failed to load window layout" dialog, and no matter what I press, the project won't load.

If I delete some assets, I can get into Unity, but with a bunch of errors and the Hierarchy completely empty and with the Inspector empty and frozen.

Will have to go back to Beta 14. Also wondering what happened to the option to not install Monodevelop?
    Thanks.