Search Unity

Unity 4 upgrade pricing change

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by David-Helgason, Jun 25, 2012.

1. Merries

Merries

Thank you so much for listening this is good news!

2. David-Helgason

David-Helgason

It's an entirely reasonable idea, and one that I hoped would work out. Unfortunately that's not the case – the 30% we take on Asset Store transactions (minus transaction fees and various the cost of operating it), isn't anywhere near enough.

d.

3. TriplePAF

TriplePAF

It would be great if Unity can introduce yearly maintenance prices. for example:

To maintain the Pro License it would cost a predefined amount of $$$ every year. All upgrades to new versions are included in this maintenance fee.

What I'm personal missing with Unity is pro support. For example with a premium support maintenance contract I can get X times pro support. It happens in my case to often that a question will be not answered or has a delay with one or two months.

Peter.

4. David-Helgason

David-Helgason

That probably makes sense. We aren't ready to do it at this point, but I hope we'll figure something like that out.

We do have an experimental program like that, but it's aimed at teams as it costs $1,000 per month. To sign up you can simply contact sales@unity3d.com. If it works out well, we might broaden it, but it's really hard to design a sustainable support program that offers a solid service-level agreement, while also being affordable for individuals.

d.

5. Xeir

Xeir

Ok, think I'm missing something here and yes, it could be my mind. *Sooooo, I went to use the voucher to purchase ios basic and android basic for $200 total, yet the voucher is only counting for $100.

I read the voucher details and didn't see anything restricting using 1 voucher to cover more then 1 app especially with ios and android basic being $100/each.

"If you use the vouchers on products that cost less than $200, you lose the remaining value of the voucher.", and as mentioned the products total is $200.

Or is the Unity store simply being persnickety because it woke up on the wrong side of the web this morning?

Last edited: Jul 6, 2012
  6. bitween

bitween

What is not clear to my (I have Unity PRO 3.5) license is how much should I pay to upgrate to Unity PRO4 if i have to include all that means flash, android and iphone (that I have already on my 3.5 version)

Thanks Roberto

7. TriplePAF

TriplePAF

just go to the store and press the buttons. :cool:

8. kersk

kersk

I know the guys in the billing department are swamped right now, but has anyone else who pre-ordered before the price reduction been refunded the difference yet? I did receive an e-mail stating they were planning to do it, but it has been awhile and I just wanted to do a quick sanity-check to see if this had gone through for anyone else.

9. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

I think they didn't start doing it yet.

10. accessdev

accessdev

same here,deborha bought on May 23th , android basic + ios basic + unity pro + team licence. emailed the customer service, they said free update are only for people who bought after june 1st. so I feel very very unlucky to pay 1000 $ for a one week of unity use.

Customer service says they can offer me a 25% discount.. it s just 5% more than the discount for eveybody for pre orders... seriously ?

they can make an additional discount for theses users I agree with jesse.

And also make a difference between small business and big companies.

We are a small company which make games for marketing, I dont know when I will be asked for unity work again , and I tought to distribute the cost of the licence on 2-3 projets, but it s not gonna happen..

11. SPIKY

SPIKY

Same problem for me.

When I read "If you use the vouchers on products that cost less than $200, you lose the remaining value of the voucher", I was under the impression the 'products' would be product total (cart total cost), not all products seperately. So instead of getting an ios and android basic licence, I can only get one out of this voucher.

Wish this was more clear in the description of the voucher, like "the voucher can only be used for 1 item"?

12. mgear

mgear

welp.. 2 weeks - no reply, we want to make payment for the upgrades, before starting holidays next week..
    (or if the upgrade from sales person is still valid after 5 weeks then no problems)

13. Undead

Undead

For those of us that bought the upgrade before the price was dropped, I assume we all got an email like this?

I'd like to know whats happening about this "reimbursement from us to compensate for the lower upgrade prices and 20% discount" ??
    It's been 3 weeks and 2 emails to you guys with no reply so far...

14. Wadoman

Wadoman

Same here Undead, also after preordering Uinty 4 and upgrading my iOS Pro add on(Before the price change), I'm now trying to buy the Anroid Pro add on for the $750 stated in the email, but the store shows it as the normal $1500.

Am I missing somthing?

15. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

$750 is the upgrade price; if you're buying it new then it's $1500.

--Eric

16. Wadoman

Wadoman

Got it, Thanks Eric

17. SteveB

SteveB

Been wondering the same thing Undead...

-Steve

18. Undead

Undead

Still Waiting....

19. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator

Please define "you guys". Who have you contacted with no reply?

20. Farfarer

Farfarer

Just a heads up for any UKers who pre-ordered Unity 4, seems Unity've forgotten to add VAT onto the prices when purchased. Myself and a couple of others have gotten emails through today with an invoice for the extra 20%. So keep an eye on your inbox for that.

Oh, and bear in mind if you follow that link to the invoice from the email you'll have to sign in to the store before paying, otherwise it'll throw an error at you (saying "user can't be blank").

Last edited: Jul 18, 2012
  21. Undead

Undead

1 email to support@unity3d.com
    No reply at all.

1 email to sales using the web form to which i got an automated reply :

Dear <name> :D

Thank you for your interest in Unity Technologies A/S. We will be contacting you shortly.

Sincerely,
    The Team at Unity Technologies A/S

That automated reply was from Akouvi Ahoomey and was a week ago..

Last edited: Jul 18, 2012
  22. Undead

Undead

I checked my invoce from the pre-order and it includes additional euros for 25% VAT

23. fanjules

fanjules

Yes, I've just received this e-mail. :(

I wonder where this stands with UK consumer rights? My upgrade fee of 1365.00 was not an insignificant outlay and had I known it was 1706.25 I would not have made the move. Now I'm being told I need to find the additional 341.25 due to Unity's own clerical error.

Legally, if a trader forgets to charge VAT, HMRC will want the money from the trader. The trader can try to get the VAT back from customers by raising VAT invoices but the customer is not obliged to pay it and the actual VAT liability remains that of the trader.

Unity should accept the mistake is theirs, certainly the financial damage to their accounts is entirely insignificant compared to the individual users impacted by this mistake through no fault of their own. :(

24. LaneFox

LaneFox

What a mess =/

Unfortunate for everyone, both sides.

25. rocket3000

rocket3000

What happens if we dont pay. will they refund after 30 days seems a mess.

26. Undead

Undead

Well, we are now at 1 month and still no reply to the emails I have sent and no news about what is happening with this "reimbursement".....

27. fanjules

fanjules

The invoice which Unity claim has the VAT clearly stated on, is also the same invoice that states (in big red letters) that the invoice is paid in full! I have consulted with a number of people now and I've been told NOT to pay it.

I'm not sure they can legally refund the transaction several weeks after the event, to then force us to pay a higher price. This is likely in breach of some kind of trading standards or consumer rights law.

It's left me feeling quite bitter and I dare say I'm not alone.

28. Farfarer

Farfarer

Well, thankfully I was just upgrading iOS and android basic licenses so the extra VAT was only $50.

So I just paid it, but I can see it'd be a real kick in the teeth to those who've paid thousands for the full suite, that's a hefty extra cost.

Now I think about it, there's another error on Unity's part as the original invoice was for $200 which makes the $50 surcharge an extra 25%. VAT should be 20% making the amount I owe $40... Unity've overcharged me $10.

So UKers should also recalc the amount the invoice is for as it's likely too much.

29. Undead

Undead

@Farfarer and fanjules did you buy before or after the price was dropped?

30. Farfarer

Farfarer

31. UNITY3D_TEAM

UNITY3D_TEAM

unity4 free version is there?like unity3.5?

32. Undead

Undead

I bought before the price was dropped so I don't know if the VAT problem is only after that.

You also should check about the amount of VAT they charged you as 20% is UK VAT and might not apply as unity is not based in the UK, so you will probably find the VAT is charged at the rate for the country of origin not the rate for the country of the customer.

33. ColossalDuck

ColossalDuck

They haven't said they are changing anything in that regard (to my knowledge), so it most likely that there will still be a free version. I would be surprised if they got rid of the free version actually.

34. OmniverseProduct

OmniverseProduct

Unless they publicly stated otherwise, let's just assume there is still a free version. To be honest I think a lot of people will leave if the free version ended. One of the reasons I switched from torque was because of the free version of unity, among others. Another huge reason was because I wanted to try my hand at a good engine with 3d capabilities but I didn't want to pay for something I may not even like or use. I have Torque Game Builder, also known as torque 2d.

35. atmuc

atmuc

what is the latest rules for $200 voucher? can i use it to buy 5 items that total cost is 200$? or is it usable for just 1 product?

36. 0123456789

I recall seeing on the pre-order information page then when you buy a new unity 4.0 license you get 3.5.x now to play with.
    This information no longer appears on the pre-order information page, nor does the $200 voucher on new purchases.

Can someone from the Unity Team confirm that if I buy a new unity 4.0 license I get access to 3.5.x now and get the $200 voucher (good for 12 months towards an add-on purchase)?

Thanks

37. mgear

mgear

heres some info also about vouchers:
    http://unity3d.com/unity/4/faq

Beth..

38. atmuc

atmuc

what is EURO equivalence of this $200 ?

39. 0123456789

Thanks for the link. It mentions the $200 voucher is for new purchasers up to and including july 9th.

Was this offer extended or did it end on july 9th?

40. NoBullIntentions_P

NoBullIntentions_P

What store are you looking at? There is nothing in the store which costs less than $400 when I go there. Presumably that would come down to $200 if I had a non-pro mobile license to upgrade, but I can't see anything which would be lower.

41. atmuc

atmuc

i confused it with assets store :)

42. Wadoman

Wadoman

Still no answer to the reimbursement question. Has anyone received their reimbursement?

43. mgear

mgear

its now over 1 month with no reply.. ><

Do the salespeople have somekind of reminder system,
    that all the emails will be eventually answered..or not?

44. imtrobin

imtrobin

I just purchased on 29th July to upgrade the IOS Basic to IOS , and had to upgrade to Unity Pro as well. I was charged 1500 for that upgrade from Unity Free to Unity Pro (excluding the mobile upgrades) . So this line

I contacted sales and apparently does not hold true for that Free to Pro upgrade. Disturbing.

45. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Well, yeah. That's not an upgrade, that's a new sale. The 20% off was for upgrades, such as if you had already bought a previous version of Pro and were now upgrading it. I think you get a $200 voucher for buying Unity Pro, though (unless that offer expired), which could have been applied to the iOS Pro upgrade.

--Eric

46. Wadoman

Wadoman

Just FYI, I have received my reimbursement.

47. lpye

lpye

I know I'm a) not from the Unity Team and b) not confirming anything about the $200 voucher, but if you go to http://unity3d.com/unity/4/faq to the "Pre-order period" section, it contains the following entry:

So, what do I get if I pre-order Unity 4.0?
    Customers who upgrade their Unity Pro licenses to 4.0 will get exclusive early access to the Unity 4.0 public beta when it is ready for release.

Each online customer is allowed to upgrade a maximum of 2 Unity Pro 4.0 licenses with attached add-ons. To upgrade more than two Unity Pro 4.0 licenses with a full set of add-ons, please contact our sales team via our online form.

To customers who buy new licenses: All pre-order customers will get exclusive early access to the Unity 4.0 public beta. If you pre-order Unity 4.0, you will automatically get Unity 3.5 for immediate use. Please note that there is a limit of 2 Unity Pro 4.0 licenses per online customer.​

48. 0123456789

Thanks for the reply.

Another user also linked to the FAQ which cleared up my question about the instant access to unity 3.5.x.

What I was not able to confirm from either the sales web form (no replies), this thread, or a couple PMs to Unity folks was if the $200 voucher date was extended. The FAQ listed a date of July 9th.

Since no one from Unity commented on the July 9th date, I opted not to buy Unity 4 Pro (since it would have been after July 9th), and will just use the free one when it comes out. It seemed like an easy question for Unity folks to answer, no July 9th was the cut off, or yes it has been extended to July 31st.

49. imtrobin

imtrobin

I had to upgrade to Pro too as I was upgrading from IOS Basic to IOS Pro. You don't consider that an upgrade but I do.

50. orb

orb

I thought it was quite clear that they didn't suddenly drop the main license price. From 3.x Pro to 4.x Pro at $600 (or whatever it was). From mobile Basic 3.x to 4.x at $100 etc. If you had the free version, you got a nice 20% off $0.