Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity 4 upgrade pricing change

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by David-Helgason, Jun 25, 2012.

1. ProjectOne

ProjectOne

Thank you Unity, well done. I will be upgrading shortly.

2. jorsalsa

jorsalsa

David,
    Thank you! Awesome! Well done!

3. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Not quite :)

They are making indie compatible price points for their mobile support. Havok mobile is slightly more cut down than the full havok but yeah, you're wrong :p

Most if not ALL common game middleware is now moving to a floating business model with indie prices where possible. Easily done by having clauses such as % or flat low cost if business earns less than 100k a year etc etc...

I know this because havok said so in Develop magazine. And they're not the only ones. With literally millions of developers worldwide who are independent (hobby or not) it's stupid to ignore the indie dollar.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2012
  4. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

Do you mean they do not license their software for a single title anymore?
    It that is the case, Im sure it is very new change on their services.

5. _Petroz

_Petroz

That is completely irrelevant, most middleware licenses per title to developers. Large entities have the bargaining power to negotiate license conditions to fit their needs.

6. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Bruno: I think you can read their articles online, not sure ... but its always a good mag to check for industry gossip :)

7. Moonjump

Moonjump

Here is the link to the free online version of Develop Magazine. There is usually a Unity article each month.

http://www.develop-online.net/digital-edition

8. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

I have it lost somewhere in my bookmarks, I just never check it out :p

9. winterkewl

winterkewl

Those discounted prices are a very welcome surprise! Thanks!

10. jcsl

jcsl

This is great news, ready to upgrade all my licenses!!! Thanks!

11. qholmes

qholmes

So i would like to know why i was given a quote late yesterday for $1750 to upgrade my Unity package when i can do it online right now for $1300?

Q

12. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

Was that an email or over the phone?

13. qholmes

qholmes

Both.

Q

14. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

So someone yesterday gave you an inaccurate quote over the phone? Kind of worrisome to know that our sales team isn't all on the same page if true.

15. qholmes

qholmes

yes.. Funny i was a little miffed on the prices and i had not signed back the quote yet so i went on the forum to look and see if anyone else thought the prices were a little high for upgrades.... and found lots of posts and then this post. Kind of ticked me off to be honest.

Q

16. qholmes

qholmes

And i was going to have to pay with check or money order.. on the Unity store i can just use Visa or something... I have no idea why i would not go via the store.

Q

17. cgguy

cgguy

This is a sign that shows that correct and polite people still exist in the software business; well done.

18. artzfx

artzfx

Please can someone from sales contact me. I have sent 3 emails since the 19th June and have received no response. I wish to upgrade my Pro licenses and add-ons to U4 before the end of our financial year 30th June, however require Unity to rectify an error on my existing license first.

Thank you
    Neil.

19. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator

Hey Neil

If you contact sales via the online form, you should get a response shortly after:
    http://unity3d.com/company/sales?type=sales

I'm afraid we don't get a lot of sales people browsing our forums.

20. artzfx

artzfx

Yup, that's what I did do and also to Alex McCredie direct, but still nothing, hence why I posted here in the hope that one of you guys might ask a sales person to make contact with me.

21. scarpelius

scarpelius

Thanks for reconsidering the prices David.

22. UNITY3D_TEAM

UNITY3D_TEAM

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!

23. spacefrog

spacefrog

I have to confess, while no need to do so early ( would have been easily enough to buy into this in late july prior the end of the offer), i bought into all upgrades + ordered Android Pro right away. I would never have done this for any other company and almost thought i will never do this for unity again, but the upgrade price correction made me do it...
    Funny :
    my Autodesk 3ds Max subscription fees are due too, and i'm really VERY VERY hesitant to give out money to them . That tells a lot of the bad public perception this other company has earned ( for reasons )

24. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator

I poked the sales team at the same time as I posted my response. Let's see who bites :)

25. McCredie

McCredie

Unity Technologies

Hello,

Neil I picked up your request from the online sales form, I look forward to assisting you further. Apologies for the slight delay, we have been experiencing an unusually high level of email traffic since the announcement of Unity 4.

Thank you Emil, for some reason the direct emails didn't reach me. We'll do our best to get this completed before the 30th.

Cheers,

Alex

26. artzfx

artzfx

Thanks Emil, all sorted now and proud owner of U4 licenses :). Thanks for your help Alex.

27. mt4

mt4

Guess my question got lost in the thread, so I ask it again:
    If I only upgrade my iOS basic, do I get access to the beta preview ? Or is it only for pro ?

Thanks,
    Mike

28. TriplePAF

TriplePAF

Just upgraded and a BIG thanks for the discount price Unity. :D

29. fanjules

fanjules

Just upgraded Pro, Android Pro and iOS Pro. For just 1 guy the sum total of these license upgrades were hard to swallow and I was sitting on the fence - however, the discounts made a BIG difference, many thanks! :)

30. IcyPeak

IcyPeak

Hm, nice... I thought the upgrade pricing was fair but money off is always welcome :D.

31. artysta

artysta

I have Unity Free with iOS basic. I'm ready to upgrade everything.
    If I go to my account upgrade page, and click to upgrade to my Unity Pro4 and iOS Pro,
    I get an error window saying I'm not selecting an existing product to upgrade and it may not work.
    What should I selecting.
    I also have many emails into Sales with no replies.
    I was offered to get a quote, and no replies when asked.
    I'm not sure where to ask anymore.

32. PixelEnvision

PixelEnvision

Just joined club Unity 4, Thx Alex!

33. ProjectOne

ProjectOne

Excellent, I have now upgraded to version 4 Unity Pro and iOS Pro, good timing as I am gradually managing to free up more time to work on projects.
    Now.. if there only was a 50% discount for Android Pro for owners or Unity Pro + iOS Pro, I would also get Android Pro and be fully set. I know... I know... but hey, it's free to ask.

I know.. I know... It is also free to refuse! :)

34. mgear

mgear

2 licences going to be upgraded, thanks!

(also for us, it took over 1 week with no reply, then emailed again and got reply next day..)

35. MatthewJCollins

MatthewJCollins

I just caught this thread. Thanks UT for listening and reconsidering your pricing! It is much appreciated and will make it a lot easier for me to stay on the Unity bandwagon!

36. UnlimitedEdition

UnlimitedEdition

You may have to buy Unity Pro to upgrade Unity Pro.

37. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

Awesome! Its great to know you guys listen!!

About this one, what do you mean 20% offer? I haven't receive any email regarding this yet (Unity iOS Pro, Unity Pro owner here), so I am VERY CURIOUS. Can you elaborate on what do you mean by that? Do you meant before July 31st, if I upgrade I only pay 20% of full upgrade price? :D Or do you meant 20% off before July 31st?

EDIT: Nevermind, read through this thread. Its 20% off until July 31st.

Another question. What's the price now for upgrading from Android Basic to Android Pro?

Last edited: Jun 29, 2012
  38. goat

goat

I've assumed all license holders of Basic and Pro get access to 4.0. Hope I'm not wrong because I'm wanting to use Mechanim.

39. Catacomber

Catacomber

@goat When I upgraded my ios basic I was told I could use my upgraded license for 3.5 and 4.0 beta and 4.0. I could quote the email but I hope you will take my word for it. : )

Am dying to get our first Unity game done in basic because I so want pro. : )

Last edited: Jun 30, 2012
  40. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

Id read somewhere that only Pro owners will have beta preview, but Im not sure if that is really the case.

41. scarpelius

scarpelius

It is a normal thing to do towards people who preorder 4.0 and since you only pay for PRO version...

42. goat

goat

I hope not as their are plenty of Basic features that need testing too. I'm not sure though if 'beta' copies look at licensing at all when you install them.

43. JasonB

JasonB

I apologize if this is a stupid question, but with the word "upgrade cost" flying around everywhere with nary a detail to be found, does this mean that if I bought a Unity Pro license today for $1,500, when Unity 4 came out I'd have to pay to upgrade my Unity 3 Pro to Unity 4 Pro? Making this the first paid Unity update?

Or am I completely wrong?

The wordage I find everywhere about "pre-ordering a Unity 4 upgrade" is crazy confusing.

44. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

No, because if you buy Unity now you get Unity 4, with the ability to use Unity 3 until Unity 4 is formally released.

--Eric

45. TriplePAF

TriplePAF

just go to the store and press the buttons. :D

46. Deborha

Deborha

I bought the 3.5 Pro on May 25th for full price. Three weeks later I get notice that 4.0 is going to cost me another 600.00 while they are giving away the product I bought to the people that buy 4.0 free... Wow.. I am totally screwed for buying it 5 days before June 1, they are upgrading 3.5 free for those that purchased it after June 1, wtf.. I was told from customer service, they can't help me... this is very uninspiring...

an unhappy customer

47. scarpelius

scarpelius

As I remember from previous update, people in your situation were given the next version of unity. Try to go pass the lil guy in the customer service.

48. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator

This always happens.

We do usually have a grace period, but can not extend it. Where would that end? What about the guy who bought a couple of days before that extended date?

49. Jessy

Jessy

You set an arbitrary date that equates to no charge for upgrade, and another, father in the past, that necessitates full upgrade pricing. Then interpolate between the two. We should be charged more for using Unity longer, but the people who buy on the earlier side of the cutoff should not be subjected to the full difference that equates to upgrade pricing. No companies that I know of do this. But if you want do what's in the spirit of David's first post here, what I said is how you need to handle it.

50. Broken-Toy

Broken-Toy

Wow, great change to the pricing! You're really putting yourselves out there for us. :)

The further step, to me, would be to stop charging for "upgrades". The purpose of charging for upgrades, if I understand correctly, is to get an ongoing revenue source after the initial purchase so as to keep the company alive. However, UT already gets constant revenue, even from 'free' users, through the Asset Store. In my opinion the Asset Store should be the revenue stream you bet on. If it becomes succesful enough you could even stop charging for Pro, release the full tool for free and get the money from the Store. Imagine the kick in the nuts to the other commercial-grade engines out there!

Just my two cents.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2012