Search Unity

Unity 4 Terrain Settings "Tree Detail Objects"

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by EdLan, Mar 6, 2013.

1. EdLan

EdLan

Dear Forum

In Unity 4 there is a new Terrain setting checkbox in the "Tree Detail Objects" section called "Draw".

Is there a way to access this setting trough scripting at runtime? I didn't found any documentation for that new setting. And I also tried to find something trough code completion in Mono Develop. But until now I didn't found anything.

Cheers, EdLan

2. JeffAU

JeffAU

Did you find a solution to this one?

3. nastasache

nastasache

I need this too.

4. Ben-Massey

Ben-Massey

I had no luck finding any supporting documentation, however you could manually set your detail density to 0 for your foliage.

5. nastasache

nastasache

I am not sure is the same and make the difference, I use these to reset options there:

terrain.treeBillboardDistance = 5;
    terrain.treeDistance = 0;
    terrain.basemapDistance = 0;
    terrain.treeMaximumFullLODCount = 0;
    terrain.detailObjectDistance = 0;
    terrain.detailObjectDensity = 0.0F;
    terrain.treeCrossFadeLength = 0.0F;

6. Pawl

Pawl

+1, I would also like to see this property exposed through script. Modifying 'detailObjectDensity' does work, however it's incredibly slow at runtime.

Would be great to have a 'detailObjectDraw' boolean.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2014
  7. fffMalzbier

fffMalzbier

The problem is that the variable is private (m_DrawTreesAndFoliage) but if you like you can use reflections to get / set it.

8. Pawl

Pawl

Ah right, that does work, however it doesn't seem to refresh in-game unless I have the Terrain GameObject selected in the inspector with the 'Draw' check box visible. Do you know why this is, or if there's a way to emulate the behavior through script at run time?

Calling Terrain.Flush() doesn't seem to work either (even if it did, it causes a large frame spike). The main reason I'm trying to toggle this flag in the first place is for performance reasons. I know I'm probably trying to do something non-standard with Unity's terrain by creating a smooth transition from detail to no-detail, but if I could just get the behavior of toggling that check box in the editor to happen at run time, I think it would do it for me without a hitch.

Code (csharp):
    1. FieldInfo fi = myTerrain.GetType().GetField("m_DrawTreesAndFoliage", BindingFlags.NonPublic | BindingFlags.Instance);
    2. if (fi != null)
    3.     fi.SetValue(myTerrain, value);

Last edited: Aug 1, 2014