Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity 4 Details

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MattCarr, Jun 18, 2012.

1. MatthewJCollins

MatthewJCollins

The mobile giveaway was nice, but I think with the increased upgrading price, lack of a real pre-release discount, and still no new GUI system, a lot of folks are going to sit this one out; Myself included.

EDIT: It feels like 3.5 was a bigger release than 4.0. Maybe it's just me.

2. Fishypants

Fishypants

@ Aras - Yeah, I figured as much. :p

Just going to patiently wait for that nice long list.

3. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator

They do. It's a problem on the website we're correcting. Stay tuned :)

4. pivotraze

pivotraze

That's as much as we know so far :) Audio Filters.

Thank you SO much :) I got really worried for a bit :) I will be the first to check what is new for Unity Free, once it's updated :D

GRR ON YOU UNITY! I'm mad at you. Truly... Wanna know why? I want to work on my horror game, but no. You decide to release info about Unity 4 NOW! :D

Last edited: Jun 18, 2012
  5. Code_Of_Honour

Code_Of_Honour

*relieved* :D

6. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator

You cannot partially upgrade your license. This how our licenses have always worked.

7. Khyrid

Khyrid

Wait, I'm confus. If I paid $1500 for unity 3.5 and then I want 4.0 I have to pay $500. If I wait until 4.0 is out I can buy it for $1500. If I bought 3.5 now and upgrade when 4.0 is out I pay a total of $2000!? Or will Unity's price go up when 4.0 is out?

8. Metron

Metron

No, the Pro upgrade costs $850 if you already own 3.5 pro...

9. VeraxOdium

VeraxOdium

No, you preorder 4.0 Pro for 1500 and you get 3.5 now, then when 4.0 comes out you get that "free".

10. Ostwind

Ostwind

3.5 -> 4.0 upgrade is $850 at the moment and might go up later....

11. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

I am curious as far as the rigging side is concerned... let's say if i build my rigs in XSI and all of my models use the same rig structure, will I be able to retarget them inside of Unity? This is a current issue that is bugging now as I have a character heavy game...

12. GiusCo

GiusCo

Can't understand the fuss and, more, the disappointment from indies here.

Until 3pm today, I was having a perfectly working Unity 3.5 free + iOS basic + Android basic. After 3pm, I still have that perfectly working bundle. Being Unity 4.0 geared towards the big boys, why should I care? Will carry on with the freebies until they work.

I know many people are still working with Windows Xp, Office 2003 etc., even in big firms. Really, what's up here? Still so many iPhone 3gs out there and many more crappy Android devices.

UT is not a charity shop and I still thank them very much for the $800 present I had three months ago.

13. Garrus

Garrus

Need new GUI system, I spend more time working on the GUI then I do on anything else.

14. AntonioT

AntonioT

Any idea yet of the version of C# / Mono Unity 4 will support ?

C# 4 you say !?

Fantastic - Thanks :)

15. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator

Consider this your confirmation. We are indeed working on a new iteration of our GUI solution, but it is unfortunately not ready yet.

The only way to get GUI out sooner would be to ship an unstable and inferior product, which we're obviously not about to do.

No conspiracies or evil greedy money men here. Just unfortunate facts of life involving time and physics.

16. Tseng

Tseng

No, if you preorder 4.0 now, you get 3.5 for free according to the store page

17. Khyrid

Khyrid

So people who already bought 3.5 for 1500 got ripped off as they have to drop another 850 dollars to get 4.0!? That sounds very lame.

18. pivotraze

pivotraze

Oh, and new system requirements for Unity 4? Yes or no?

So great to hear :D

19. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator

The upgrade price will definitely not go up.

20. Dreamora

Dreamora

Thats not fully true, at least it was not on 3.0
    Its possible but its a small hell for Unity support cause they have to help you through.
    Me as well as various others did it.

I hoped that 4.0 would finally get a store capable of handling it as the store otherwise evolved in a great way.
    This lack of love for those who are gonna spend money, especially in the $2000 range, is a bit disturbing, as it is the higher paying customers that are F***ed, not the freeriders.

That was caused by the tweet on $200 saving only today when it was meant to say that you get a $200 voucher for the store for every upgrade prior july 9th according the last block of the unity 4 front page

21. maxfax2009

maxfax2009

Why is the new LOD which is now in 3.5 take out of 3.5 once 4.0 is OUT !!

http://postimage.org/image/sw2gz37yt/

------
    LOD support
    As your scenes get larger, performance becomes a bigger consideration. One of the ways to manage this is to have meshes with different levels of detail depending on how far the camera is from the object. Unity's built-in level-of-detail support, using LODGroups, makes managing this simple.
    -----

22. J_P_

J_P_

So there's no preorder discount..?

23. Metron

Metron

Well... there were features announced for 3.5 that have not made it in. There are bugs in 3.5 which are not fixed and which are a real pita (especially if you have a big project)... and with 4.0 around the corner 3.5 will not get those fixes hence a lot of people put down a lot of money to buy promised features which they didn't get...

So, yes... I'm pissed...

24. Code_Of_Honour

Code_Of_Honour

We're mainly just disappointed about a few key things missing, like a new GUI system, and better core threading. The new release is still exciting, with the new features and stuff, but GUI really, really, needs fixing. Lol.

25. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator

Yes.

Mecanim will try to recognise your skeleton as best it can, but you can of-course correct any bones missing or mis-labeled. So from the authoring side you don't even need to use the exact same skeleton - just one that Mecanim can recognise or you can help it mark up.

26. Metron

Metron

agree

27. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

How could we take a feature out of an existing 3.5 product? It's a typo.

28. kablammyman

kablammyman

agreed. Why add more, when there's stuff in the current version that needs to be fixed, or implemented better.

29. Ostwind

Ostwind

ok :)

the text at the web page was misleading but now that I went to check it again the pages look different than before

30. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator

We're not upgrading mono just yet. Not for 4.0 at least - stay tuned.

31. Code_Of_Honour

Code_Of_Honour

Wow, that sounds good. Really looking forward to this!

32. Khyrid

Khyrid

What's the difference between pre-ordering 4.0 and waiting for it to be released before buying. Unless unity 4.0 will retail at $2350.

33. Tseng

Tseng

The difference is, if you don't have a pro license yet, you can use 3.5 pro until Unity 4.0 Pro is released. If you already have a pro license there is no difference for you or if you are only interested in Unity 4.0 Pro and not in Unity 3.5 pro :p

From Store page:

34. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

I think you might be having problems with the difference between upgrade prices and buying a full license. It is $850 to upgrade to Unity 4 Pro and $1500 to buy a new, full license. It's not any more complicated than that.

35. Khyrid

Khyrid

I want to know if the retail price will still be at 1500 after 4.0 is released, if it will this upgrade fee makes me very weary about ever investing in unity.

36. outtoplay

outtoplay

Since they nuked our comments on the Announcement thread and then locked it...

UT seems to continue on the path toward neglect of it's small customers and release promises. A New GUI solution was promised for 3.x and simply not delivered it. Bugs persist and the company remains....silent, even closing the thread that allows users to discuss them and their work arounds. Who's up for doling out more cash for 4.0? whaa hoo!

sad and disappointing.

37. Zeruel

Zeruel

The comparison is between Unity 4 Pro and Unity 3.5 (not Pro).

38. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator

It hasn't been taken out. That table compares Unity 4 pro and Unity 3.5 non-pro. Which is all very confusing and we're working on getting the table updated ;)

39. dead1ock

dead1ock

I.E. If you bought a pro license yesterday, you're screwed and have to buy a Unity 4.0 license, but if you pro-ordered 4.0 today, you would have gotten 3.5 for free.

40. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

I did not nuke your post... I moved it to this thread.

41. Tseng

Tseng

You can preorder 4.0 Pro now too for $1500 too and you will get 3.5 Pro "free" to use too

42. maxfax2009

maxfax2009

lol oops sorry Unity

43. VeraxOdium

VeraxOdium

Are you having a stroke or something? Your questions have been answered like 10 times by 3 different people and you still don't get it.

44. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator

The pre-order bonus is a $200 discount on your next purchase in the store.

45. Khyrid

Khyrid

I understand that, my concern is that if people that already own a 3.5 pro licence have to pay 850 to get 4.0, they are investing a total of 2350 for 4.0 pro, while I can buy it for 1500. When 4.5 comes out I'll have to pay 850? I can spend thousands in the next few years while a new customer can come along and get it all for 1500.

46. Dreamora

Dreamora

are you at least planning to can the broken outdated MonoDevelop version used by UT for the current one to get properly working auto complete, good performance etc?

47. Khyrid

Khyrid

Nothing has been answered! You don't seem to grasp what I'm saying.

48. AngryBear+^

AngryBear+^

Thanks for the clarification. I didn't have any mobile licenses when I went from 2.x to 3.x so I was unsure.
    However, from your wording does this mean that I have to spend $1350 to upgrade at all? Or could I essentially "drop" my mobile licenses and only upgrade to pro?

I got the mobile licenses during the giveaway, so they didn't actually cost me anything. So would I be allowed to remove them from my license and only upgrade the desktop build? Then, if I wanted to get the mobile licenses again, I'd have to pay the full price? In such a situation I'm not losing any money, I didn't spend any on the basic licenses.

I'm going to be a bit sad if my current situation means "Spend $1350 to upgrade everything, or you can't upgrade anything at all."

49. Dreamora

Dreamora

No you didn't spend 2350 for 4.0. you payed $1500 for 3.5 and now can save 650 to get Unity 4 although you already successfully use 3.5. thats not the same

The next cost will likely come with 5.0, going by the past that would be in 2014 or 2015. if you can't make the money back in that timeframe then its naturally a problem but then you have many many other problems.

50. Cameron_SM

Cameron_SM

My game was Tail Drift, the plane flying one in the flash-in-a-flash comp. Brendan and Shaun over at defiant did Ski Safari. I'm ex CA/Sega myself - currently teach at QUT with truna and do other odds and ends. Brisbane is a good place to be developing though, lots of people to get advice from, Morgan and the defiant crew are probably some of the best Unity devs around in Brisbane, you should go and see them at some point (in the valley), they're pretty laid back and always keen to chat with other devs. Might see you at the next 48hour comp.